5 Pages123>»
USIU vs STRATH MBA
Bigcheese
#1 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2009 8:04:00 AM

In terms of

Cost

Flexiblity

Market Rating etc

How would u rate USIU MBA with the Strathmore MBA?

Your honest opinions appreciated.
Impunity
#2 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2009 8:14:00 AM

An MBA in Kenya is just that;An MBA.Forget about marketability.Employers nowadays look for that extra thing you can add on your own,not that extra paper you can get on your own.Do other courses like people development and cost-analysis studies.There are enough MBA holders in Kenya than Kenya actually need.All the best.

The Hague...or Local Triburnal ama TJRC.
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

Sasha
#3 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2009 8:25:00 AM

Cost? USIU will cost you a maximum of 450k! Strath will cost you a minimum of 900k

Flexibility? In terms of courses, you can choose any line you want from SM, to finance to accounting. Strath is mainly for people already in management. If you aint you'll need to pass a rigorous interview process.

Market rating? See Impunity's comments. It depends on what you can offer. My boss has a Strath MBA yet he is clueless on many of our assignments!

Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time!
jitetee
#4 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2009 8:34:00 AM

I could be wrong but I think the Strath MBA is overvalued,overrated,or is the word overcosted? Anyway,you get the point. Guess the real benefit is the opportunity to network with the big shot students. Anyone know why USIU have resisted the idea of having a city centre campus? Or is it quality control? I have a feeling that the day they do that,it might be the beginning of the end of the UoN MBA as we know it...no offense to students of THE hehehe. Unless UoN step-up.

Time and chance happen to all.
Pudo
#5 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2009 8:53:00 AM

What aboout AUSI.
Anyone with info on hawa australians?
Bigcheese
#6 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2009 9:38:00 AM

gosh Strath MBA is almost a miIlli! I donno about cost-value benefit to justify those mullaz.

Discounted 'THE' because of previous bad experiences collegues have had with them ( lost transcipts,sadistic lecturers etc)

thanks for the info guys keep it comin.

mukiha
#7 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2009 10:24:00 AM

Excuse my ignorance,but who,what,where is 'THE'?

Behind the gardens...Behind the wall...Under the tree (Including: Red...Dark Blue...Yellow)
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
iMANI
#8 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2009 11:11:00 AM

I'm also wondering what 'THE' is .......my take would be the 'The Hooligans Experience'

but then again I might be wrong....enlighten us?

It's amazing what you can achieve if you don't care who gets the credit.
Life and beer are very similar........chill for best results.

Apple Bees
#9 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2009 11:21:00 AM

@iMANI....THE admits the best students in the republic; out of the top 5,000 KCSE students,just few get admitted elsewhere. It is also the number 1 choice for 9 out of 10 high school students; those who went wherever know their desire was to be at THE.

If you didn't make it to THE,don't worry,you have a chance to come in via MBA or parallel. (and learn the rules of the road).

on the MBA,i thot we were talking about USIU vs Strath?

Where else would it be?
Sasha
#10 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2009 11:22:00 AM

@mukiha: THE is UoN! Apparently because it is the only university in Kenya that has THE in its name!

jitetee
#11 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2009 11:23:00 AM

Haya loyalists wameanza kujitokeza. Hehehe. @Mukiha,I thot you participated in a thread sometime back right here on SK where THE among other institutions was discussed extensively. Unfortunately I cannot remember the title of the thread.

jitetee
#12 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2009 11:26:00 AM

Found it. Actually mukiha was not among the discussants. My mistake.

http://www.stockskenya.c...?stk=1005&top=12143

Alchemist
#13 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2009 1:20:00 PM

@Bigcheese,Congratulations on your decision to add an MBA to your qualifications. Naysayers have advised you that an MBA is just a piece of paper. Nothing can be further from the truth. A good MBA education is an investment that could potentially give your career or business a new trajectory. It is not just about interacting with top honchos,policy makers and even business men,its also about testing the validity of some of the theories that they spoonfed you as though they were gospel truth in undergrad.

An MBA will also get you shortlisted for interviews that otherwise you may not get called for. Whether an MBA improves your management skills is entirely upto your aptitude and attitude.

Back to the schools,Strath's MBA is offered in collaboration with IESE,a Spanish University that is ranked among the best MBA schools in the world. The higher price is a function of demand as I understand that there is a long waiting list. I have no comments on the USIU MBA. About THE,people,remember that majority of Kenyan organizations are still heavily staffed by THE grads. Now these characters who went to THE know that you have to walk thro hell to get the degree. At least that was the case when I was there. That is the sole reason why THE degrees are still highly valued.
McReggae
#14 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2009 11:02:00 AM

The Power of 'THE'....even if not the subject will find it's way into the discussion......an MBA gives an opportunity especially to be shortlisted........your performance earns you the position........all my colleauges with an MBA got it from 'THE'.......wonder where these others are?????

The chief value of money lies in the fact that one lives in a world in which it is overestimated.
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
zamali
#15 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2009 1:53:00 PM

USIU has been around for long,but I cant seem to find their MBA grads easily...do they churn out 10 MBA's a year?

THE has many MBA olders,but most of these are purchased,That I know for sure!!

Strath seems to be the place to obtain an MBA and be proud of it,though it will leave a large hole in your pocket!

On a serious note a few queries;

How different is MBA from Master of Administration ?

If I had a bachelors of science & a BBA will I still sell ?

& The rush for MBAs has causes a shortage of other Masters graduates eg in Engineering etc

Zama za Kengen IPO.... zama za mali
Spendthrift
#16 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2009 3:37:00 PM

@ McReggae,

With all due respect,the argument of 'THE' does not hold sufficient water especially in these dry times. Your colleagues could have been from UoN just because of biased recruitment or also coincidentally because the best candidates for your lot were from UoN. For instance,can somebody explain to me the large number of KU graduates (from all fields) at Cooperative bank especially those hired around 2003/4/5?

There's is nothing special about a university where every tom,dick and arrghhhh ....evry dick can get into so long as they have money.

At Strathmore,all levels of entry are subject to an entry examination and quite honestly,the all round management at Strathmore can not be compared to any of the public lunee versities in Kenya both at post and under grad levels. I have been to both Strath and another Luneeversity and further at another private university- Huwezi compare.

Let me break it down to basics,If you have the money,go to Strath. Kama huna,do it anywhere else - it's you,not the school you go to. I have met a rather brilliant lady who went to Kampala International University.

Notice I left out USIU in my discussion- it's deliberate.

Everyday!
McReggae
#17 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:49:00 AM

Spendthrift: Hey man you all agree this strath thing is damn expensive,they dont even have the space. There are so many kenyans out there bright enough but do not have that much money,they also need an MBA,FACT is the difference in price is so much compared to your capability after you finish the course from the two different institutions,it all boils down to one's capability........after you get the MBA degree the question then becomes how much you can be able to sell yourself out there!!!..........Strath MBA remains something for the elites who have that much money to spend!!!!

.........has anybody cared to know how much the current VC of THE has improved the place!!!!.....I will also chose not to comment on USIU as you have!!!!

The chief value of money lies in the fact that one lives in a world in which it is overestimated.
Sasha
#18 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2009 6:05:00 AM

@McReggae/Spendthrift or anyone

Would you guys please tell me (objectively) why there is this aversion towards USIU? I never understand it. On one breath you say that where you take your MBA does not matter, that your aptitude and what you gain from the MBA is what matters? On another breath you don't seem to like USIU's MBA? Any particular reason?

zamali
#19 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2009 8:13:00 AM

@ Sasha

Aversion to USIU is historical...dont know about the present but,remember one needed to score very weak to get a place for their very weak curriculum. I looked at their course contents in 1996 & was not impressed. How is it 13 years later ?

On a crude note,I recall when I was at THE,we referred to them as Useless Students In University....USIU my apologies!

BTW at THE,most people earn their degrees the hard way (some people in SK call the lecturers sadistic. At USIU,they cant 'fail you' easily. What of Strath ? Would one 'be failed' after parting with such an amount of fees ?

Zama za Kengen IPO.... zama za mali
McReggae
#20 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2009 8:32:00 AM

Sasha,

I watched a non serious student in high school (attained miserable grades) join USIU for and undergrad,his seriousness in my opinion did not improve yet he cleared his course in time and 'passed well'........my opinion on them has never changed!!!

Somebody tell me which top private university in Kenya that does not borrow lecturers from 'THE'