wazua Fri, Mar 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

10 Pages«<678910>
SHOCKED - Less than 15,000 Nairobian's earning above 100k
innairobi
#141 Posted : Monday, December 29, 2014 10:18:02 AM

"The man who says it can't be done shouldn't interrupt the man who is trying to do it." - Chinese? proverb
All my friends are heathens, take it slow. Wait for them to ask you who you know. Please don't make any sudden moves.
madhaquer
#142 Posted : Monday, December 29, 2014 10:33:57 AM

This thread has lost direction.
When people start measuring wealth in absolutes like 800k, then they have lost direction.
Why would I want to spend 400k a month even if I could? That is outrageous and wasteful!

When it comes to matters money, it doesn't matter how much you make, it's how much you keep and what you do with it that matters. It also doesn't matter how much you spend it's what you spend it on that matters.

I have a library full of wealth related books and I have over the years arrived at the conclusion that income ought to vary depending on the circumstances and the point you are in your life.

Please read some books by Jim Rohn and develop your own personal philosophy of life and march to the beat of your own drum.
lochaz-index
#143 Posted : Monday, December 29, 2014 2:51:20 PM

innairobi wrote:
"The man who says it can't be done shouldn't interrupt the man who is trying to do it." - Chinese? proverb

I couldn't have said it better.
The main purpose of the stock market is to make fools of as many people as possible.
kiterunner
#144 Posted : Tuesday, December 30, 2014 8:53:20 AM

madhaquer wrote:
This thread has lost direction.
When people start measuring wealth in absolutes like 800k, then they have lost direction.
Why would I want to spend 400k a month even if I could? That is outrageous and wasteful!

When it comes to matters money, it doesn't matter how much you make, it's how much you keep and what you do with it that matters. It also doesn't matter how much you spend it's what you spend it on that matters.

I have a library full of wealth related books and I have over the years arrived at the conclusion that income ought to vary depending on the circumstances and the point you are in your life.

Please read some books by Jim Rohn and develop your own personal philosophy of life and march to the beat of your own drum.

It couldnt be said any better. Whatever happened to excellence and rewarding people for their productivity. Nowadays those who have 'arrived' have a benchmark for the 'right' income and while at it label everyone else a failure. A polygamous 50 year old man with 10 kids at USIU earning the magic 800k wouldnt live the quality of life of a 30 year old bachelor or a 40 year old with two kids living upcountry earning a fraction of that magic figure. We just want more zeros so that we can chest thump and feel very clever and 'successful'.
our goals are best achieved indirectly
quicksand
#145 Posted : Tuesday, December 30, 2014 1:49:58 PM

lochaz-index wrote:
innairobi wrote:

I couldn't have said it better.

There is a cliche for just about everything. Proverbs are not the same as reality. Here is one
A single conversation with a wise man is better than ten years of study - Chinese Proverb
It is very possible to ignore wise counsel and persist with unachievable folly while immersed in chinese proverb nirvana or in the false belief that whoever is telling to desist from a course of action doesn't want you to succeed.
There are things that simply can't be done - regardless of whether you take an ocean of self-motivational koolaid.
Always assess advice, weigh its merits. Those offering it may be wiser, smarter, more experienced than you, and they may be interrupting you from diving headlong into a catastrophic mistake.
earthvoice
#146 Posted : Tuesday, December 30, 2014 6:13:28 PM

quicksand wrote:

There is a cliche for just about everything. Proverbs are not the same as reality. Here is one
A single conversation with a wise man is better than ten years of study - Chinese Proverb
It is very possible to ignore wise counsel and persist with unachievable folly while immersed in chinese proverb nirvana or in the false belief that whoever is telling to desist from a course of action doesn't want you to succeed.
There are things that simply can't be done - regardless of whether you take an ocean of self-motivational koolaid.
Always assess advice, weigh its merits. Those offering it may be wiser, smarter, more experienced than you, and they may be interrupting you from diving headlong into a catastrophic mistake.

I like that.
"All intelligent investing is value investing -- acquiring more than you are paying for. You must value the business in order to value the stock." - Charlie Munger.
S.Mutaga III
#147 Posted : Saturday, January 31, 2015 8:19:46 PM

Just wondering, how much does a person need to earn in Nairobi to be classified as middle class? 100k? 200k? 300k? 75k?
A successful man is not he who gets the best, it is he who makes the best from what he gets.
nakujua
#148 Posted : Saturday, January 31, 2015 10:14:35 PM

S.Mutaga III wrote:
Just wondering, how much does a person need to earn in Nairobi to be classified as middle class? 100k? 200k? 300k? 75k?

net ya 30k.
its2013
#149 Posted : Saturday, January 31, 2015 10:38:05 PM

nakujua wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:

net ya 30k.

Using a definitive figure may be quite subjective. The bottom line while defining the middle class is based more on their spending against their earnings rather than purely on their earning since the middle class is characteristically the class of consumerism.
Pretty hurts
kyt
#150 Posted : Sunday, February 01, 2015 7:10:30 AM

its2013 wrote:
nakujua wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:

net ya 30k.

Using a definitive figure may be quite subjective. The bottom line while defining the middle class is based more on their spending against their earnings rather than purely on their earning since the middle class is characteristically the class of consumerism.

does it mean that those who earn over 30k and dont have the "consumerism" malaise are not middle class?
LOVE WHAT YOU DO, DO WHAT YOU LOVE.
Kihara joni
#151 Posted : Saturday, February 07, 2015 5:44:24 PM

We have open shared internet in an office building and I noted that I had access to other offices computers, I checked some pay slips and the highest was 38k for a manager and 4k for a tea woman mind you the firm I am talking about is a big one
Lolest!
#152 Posted : Saturday, February 07, 2015 7:05:24 PM

Kihara joni wrote:
We have open shared internet in an office building and I noted that I had access to other offices computers, I checked some pay slips and the highest was 38k for a manager and 4k for a tea woman mind you the firm I am talking about is a big one

Nosey you! You mean net, right?
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Mastermind
#153 Posted : Sunday, February 08, 2015 11:43:21 AM

Lolest! wrote:
Kihara joni wrote:

Nosey you! You mean net, right?

kysse wrote:

Branch Manager.

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
kiash
#154 Posted : Sunday, February 08, 2015 1:15:42 PM

Kihara joni wrote:
We have open shared internet in an office building and I noted that I had access to other offices computers, I checked some pay slips and the highest was 38k for a manager and 4k for a tea woman mindg you the firm I am talking about is a big one

What kind of firm is it? Bank ? insurance? 38K for a manager even some police officers are earning much better.(official salo) But the 4K for the tea woman. Ngai fafa . I thought they say a guy working even a labourer gets kitu 400sh per day unless i have been conned on mjengo budget. That adds up to kitu 10 to 12K a month.So how do you pay someone 4K.Its way below the min salo.
Lolest!
#155 Posted : Sunday, February 08, 2015 1:31:59 PM

kiash wrote:
Kihara joni wrote:
We have open shared internet in an office building and I noted that I had access to other offices computers, I checked some pay slips and the highest was 38k for a manager and 4k for a tea woman mindg you the firm I am talking about is a big one

What kind of firm is it? Bank ? insurance? 38K for a manager even some police officers are earning much better.(official salo) But the 4K for the tea woman. Ngai fafa . I thought they say a guy working even a labourer gets kitu 400sh per day unless i have been conned on mjengo budget. That adds up to kitu 10 to 12K a month.So how do you pay someone 4K.Its way below the min salo.

You haven't been conned. That is the mjengo rate. I can't understand how one will survive on 4k.
nakujua
#156 Posted : Sunday, February 08, 2015 1:37:04 PM

Lolest! wrote:
kiash wrote:
Kihara joni wrote:

You haven't been conned. That is the mjengo rate. I can't understand how one will survive on 4k.

you need to tembea widely in kenya, then you might understand.
Kihara joni
#157 Posted : Sunday, February 08, 2015 6:10:23 PM

kiash wrote:
Kihara joni wrote:

Don't know what they do but I'll say it's vision plaza Mombasa road, they should work on that privacy bit, you can actually have access to all computers connected to the building's fibre Internet
Lolest!
#158 Posted : Sunday, February 08, 2015 6:25:31 PM

nakujua wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
kiash wrote:
Kihara joni wrote:

tell us about Nairobi,not Maralal
nakujua
#159 Posted : Sunday, February 08, 2015 7:19:07 PM

Lolest! wrote:
nakujua wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
kiash wrote:
Kihara joni wrote:

tell us about Nairobi,not Maralal

Actually life in Maralal is pretty expensive - smile
tembea huko uone mwenyewe.
Omena
#160 Posted : Sunday, February 08, 2015 9:21:42 PM

It’s what you learn after you think you know it all that counts.