wazua Thu, Apr 18, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

10 Pages123>»
SHOCKED - Less than 15,000 Nairobian's earning above 100k
Kihara joni
#1 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 2:10:17 PM

SHOCKED -Less than 15,000 employed Nairobian's earn more than 100K pm

Reading this online that only about 15k Nairobians earn more than 100k, aii kwani how much does a regular guy earn in the Capital? Explain all the cars the boozing and flashy lifstyle of you Nairobi guys (is this thread in the right place to begin with)
urstill1
#2 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 2:16:56 PM

I'm surprised and no the thread is not in the right place. Do you know where club SK is? Take it there in the life section.
#3 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 2:18:35 PM

Have they factored in people in business who don't earn a regular salary but make tonnes of cash? The reason I doubt this figure is because there are too many rental houses going for 20k a month and over.

BBI will solve it
:)
butterflyke
#4 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 2:33:16 PM

Kihara joni wrote:

Reading this online that only about 15k Nairobians earn more than 100k, aii kwani how much does a regular guy earn in the Capital? Explain all the cars the boozing and flashy lifstyle of you Nairobi guys (is this thread in the right place to begin with)

RINK?

Was this survey conducted by synovate cos it doesn't seem to add up...
Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. - Muhammad Ali🐝
mv_ufanisi
#5 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 3:09:26 PM

It obviously doesn't make sense. 100k a month gets you to live in a 20k to 30k house a month. How many of such houses exist?
radio
#6 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 3:13:20 PM

2012 wrote:
Have they factored in people in business who don't earn a regular salary but make tonnes of cash? The reason I doubt this figure is because there are too many rental houses going for 20k a month and over.

For many Nairobians, I have come to realize, what they pay as rent doesn't collate with their salaries. I knew a chap who was earning 50k net and staying in 30k two bedroom.
Angelica _ann
#7 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 3:47:34 PM

100K is payslip before you factor in stealing, kickbacks, corruption, bank loans, shylock, merry-go-round, chama etc.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
MaichBlack
#8 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 4:12:05 PM

radio wrote:
2012 wrote:

For many Nairobians, I have come to realize, what they pay as rent doesn't collate with their salaries. I knew a chap who was earning 50k net and staying in 30k two bedroom.

And some receptionists, secretaries etc. earning 30,000/= but who pay a monthly rent of 40,000/=.

He he he he

Hiyo ingine ni akina @mawider, @magigi, @impunity wanatoa. Probably the same lady - @magigi - rent, @mawider - Shopping (household), @Impunity - Shopping (Clothes, shoes, bags etc.), outings (starting with T-Mall #gizzards), @watchman, @University/college student, @shamba boy - Landing! Serious landing!!!! The others just pass by the airport.

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
tnai9
#9 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 4:13:11 PM

This is so wrong. As someone said above, look at the rents in Nairobi, number of cars on the road which i assume are mainly financed by employers. I believe many guys who are driving (loan cars) are earning more than 80k, conservatively. Many parastatals, govt employees(Mpigs, civil service) are averagely paid - btn 70k and 800k. What of some bankers, NGOs etc. That actual figure is so many times higher.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ― Charles Bukowski
Gathige
#10 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 4:26:55 PM

Majority of Kenyans are "under the ladder" so they are never in the official statistics. The informal and small business sector have quite a pool of "millionaires" who are officially "unemployed".

"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
Lolest!
#11 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 5:06:46 PM

Some employees have side hustles that depend on their job but earn them far more than their formal jobs. Eg policemen, real estate caretakers and property managers, civil servants etc. Most of this is the rent seeking type for the guys who give tenders/contracts, or can set you free after u overlap or can spare you from auctioneers when you can't pay rent.
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
stockshunter
#12 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 8:32:08 PM

Kihara joni wrote:

Reading this online that only about 15k Nairobians earn more than (100k,) aii kwani how much does a regular guy earn in the Capital? Explain all the cars the boozing and flashy lifstyle of you Nairobi guys (is this thread in the right place to begin with)
from wherever you got that must be the basic salary then a chain of allowances that you can't even explain, like extraneous allowance 150k domestic servant allowance 50k special clothing(sdap) allowance 35k, house allowance......... Now you know when you see a person earning 20k basic salary driving a posh.
fear makes people live a miserable life.
nakujua
#13 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 8:58:53 PM

80k is enough for a 20k per month rent, 20k car loan payments and a good amount of booze every now and then
Lolest!
#14 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 9:17:26 PM

nakujua wrote:
80k is enough for a 20k per month rent, 20k car loan payments and a good amount of booze every now and then

net should be slightly over 60. Lets call it 60. That poor fellow is left with 20 for fuel, investments, clothing, entertainment, food and drinks, social issues na ghadhaligha
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
dunkang
#15 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 9:54:05 PM

Lolest! wrote:
net should be slightly over 60. Lets call it 60. That poor fellow is left with 20 for fuel, investments, clothing, entertainment, food and drinks, social issues na ghadhaligha

Sasa unaongea kiembu. Hii ghadhaligha ndio nini???
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.” ― Rashi

newfarer
#16 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 9:54:47 PM

most payslips are below 100k fact.infact 15000 could be on the higher side.any auditor in wazua will tell you this. sacco loans bridge the gap
punda amecheka
Coolbull
#17 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:59:01 AM

Factor in some 'very poor' folks who when asked how things are they answer "nikujaribu tu". Very poor coffee farmer, very poor hardware store owner, very poor matatu fleet owner, etc. Visit Kiambu and hear watu ni "kujaribu tu".

I know a guy who is doing strawberry farming, making around 40-60K per month. The poor guy is a taxi driver at Westlands. I guess the cab company pays something around 17-25K. The latter is the official and only payslip. Very poor indeed.

Another runs around town with screwdrivers and CDs repairing computers but collects rent of around 40K per month. This one has no payslip so he is in the jobless category!

The grand pauper is a driver working for an NGO along Magadi road. The guy owns several flats in Rongai but his payslip is second from the bottom after the cleaner's. He is very 'dis-interested' in filling better positions when they fall vacant. Kazi ya dereva imemtosha.

Anyway, his secret to owning flats is frugality. Takes b/fast at the workplace, lunch provided by employer, saving consistently with the sacco, living in low-cost dwelling and saving the 'extra' with the sacco. It took years to be where he is. Oh...I forgot to mention he has educated kids in India Universities - part of the frugality is using the workplace post office box. That's how it was discovered he has 'interests' in India.

I tend to believe majority of these employed people earning less than 100K, are the same people who never want to be promoted. They prefer lying chini ya maji.

The corner office can make you poor. Dinners at Serena, Modern car, designer suits, etc.

#18 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:24:06 AM

Coolbull wrote:
The corner office can make you poor. Dinners at Serena, Modern car, designer suits, etc.

That is very true!
Most Nairobians are drowning in debt. They cannot find sleep at night on their king size oak beds, can't enjoy the ride in their compressors nor enjoy their lunch at the Norfork. How sad.

BBI will solve it
:)
Kihara joni
#19 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:25:32 AM

I copy pasted this from Nairobiliving.com it's very interesting and notr I was referring to EMPLOYED Nairobians only

How many Kenyans go home with more than Kshs100,000 a month?
April 9, 2014 / admin / No comments
How many can spend Kshs74,000 on whiskey a night like our Joe Muchiri?
How many can spend Kshs74,000 on whiskey a night like our Joe Muchiri?
It’s getting crazy on the money front. The other day I went to buy some tomatoes and I was informed that I would have to spend Kshs20 for three measly ones which when I got home turned out to be rotten inside. Bummer. Then the price of everything is creeping up slowly. Matatus are going for Kshs10 or Kshs20 extra on every route in the city. But even with the escalating prices there has been a general feeling that Nairobians are making more money more than ever. This is shown in not just the pricing of goods but also in the media. We hear of people who are making millions every month in shows like Young Rich on K24 and The Entrepreneur on KTN.

So it costs more to live in the city while there is evidence of moving forward. But the reality on the ground could be a bit different front what the chatter is coming from all quarters. So just how many Kenyans go home with Kshs100,000 every month. Is it five million? Ten million? 1 million? In a nation of 40 million plus that wouldn’t be such a wild figure right?

Which leads me to a guy I met in Choma base in 2010, let’s call him John, who my good lady friend introduced as her new boyfriend (in those days she had a lot of boyfriends, she is now married bless her). We started chatting about the big discussion at the time which was how the economy was booming. In my opinion we were doing well and the evidence was the cars that were flying off the shelves so fast that as soon as there was a new prefix it was it emerged. KAZ, KBA, KBC, KBD, KBE. They were moving faster than hot cakes those vehicles so that meant, in my true “Nairobi is the bees knees” mode, the economy must be booming right?

He smiled and asked me, “Is that what you think? How many Kenyans go home with more that 100K?”

“I don’t know. There must be like 3 or 4 million,” came my informed answer.

He laughed. Really hard. It was one of those laughs where one ends up holding their gut with one hand as they slapped their knee with the other one. He was almost crying in his mirth.

“What’s so funny man?” I asked.

“Four million? Are you crazy? You couldn’t be further off the mark.”

“Was I too low? Is it like six million?”

“No. Again you are wrong. Go lower.”

“Lower? Three million?”

“Lower.”

“Two million?”

“This will take all night. Its just under 20,000.”

You should have seen the look on my face. This John guy must have been smoking some seriously good Malawi gold. People in this town were balling. Right?

“You must be joking. People are blowing up in this place.”

“Really? Who are these people who are balling?”

“People. You know…”

“Ok what types of people go home with more than 100k. Tell me.”

“Well the MPs are balling.”

“And how many are there?”

“222.”

“So these ballers you are using are 222. Who else?“

“Then there are all these guys in the big corporations.”

“How many companies do you think can afford to pay over 100k and how many people would be paid this huge amount in each of them?”

I thought about this one hard.

“Well I’d say all the company in the NSE bourse can afford to pay people at least 100k. I’ll suggest that on average 10 of the highest paid executives in each of the firms are paid more than that sum. So calculating that say 100 companies in that level of operations pay 10 staff that’s 1,000.

“So now you are at 1,222. Lest be kind and make it 2,000 shall we?” John suggested.

“Sawa”, I countered. “That’s 2,000 people making more than 100k.”

“And the rest?”

I tried to pad the rest. Farmers in the rift valley, athletes collecting cash from marathons abroad, artists who are making mad cheddar, tour operators, cell phone dealers, bums on the beach in the coast. I never got beyond 5,000 Kenyans making more than 100k a month net.

“So you see that people aren’t making as much money as you think they are?”

This really bugged me.

“But these cars are being unleashed like there is an offer. What is that about?”

“Aha! You see my job at the bank is to give loans to people looking for them. I have been signing off loans like crazy this year? Many of the cars you are seeing on the streets are there after I have signed off loans.”

“Wow. That’s just crazy.”

“It’s not crazy. How much is your net take home right now? ”he asked me.

“30k.”

“Come to my office. I have 500,000K to give you.”

In 2012, it emerged that there are 16,000 mortgages account in Kenya. Tafakari hayo
mv_ufanisi
#20 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:45:33 AM

The responses I see here don't answer the question - that's how people fail exams haha.
The question was, is it true that less than 15,000 employed Nairobians earn more than 100k a month? My short answer is no.
My reasons follow,
Firstly Nairobi contributes 60% of the country's GDP ie approx 24 Billion USD so already assuming a population of 3.5 million in the city as per last census the Nairobi GDP per capita is more than 6,000 USD.
Secondly, most companies will artificially reduce the declared income of their employees to reduce payment of PAYE. The rest of the money is paid in as expense refunds and allowances. Any accountant knows this.
Finally the circumstantial evidence suggests that this is not likely. This is the number of cars on the road, no of kids attending private schools that charge more than 30,000 per term, no of people that live in houses that charge more than 30,000 in rent, no of people who save money every month, no of people that go on vacation etc.