wazua Thu, Mar 28, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

9 Pages123>»
KCB or Equity Bank?
INTERESTING!
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 12, 2014 2:19:59 AM

Hi Wazuans;

I like going through your discussions here but you have now convinced me to join.

Please help me here.

My portfolio currently looks like this:

Liberty Kenya 6.6%
Centum 26.4%
KenolKobil 7.9%
NIC Bank 18.1%
Uchumi 9.6%
Cash 31.3%

The cash came from Bank of Kigali which I sold after it rallied like crazy and from NMG which I sold before they gave those horrible results.

I did not sell Uchumi when it was up so I am stuck with it and I do not think I will sell at such a low price. I think that company can perform well but I also think it is time for a management change.

I am thinking of adding either Equity, KCB, Britam or TransCentury.

I am also thinking of Umeme or Stanbic Bank Uganda.

I am not a trader (cannot keep up with the daily movements) and I like to keep my stocks for a period of time (more longterm)Like I had done with Bank of Kigali or Bralirwa.

Bank of Kigali and Bralirwa gave me very good returns and the currency also behaved very well.

What do you guys think?
sparkly
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 12, 2014 8:51:12 AM

We think you should buy CFC.
Life is short. Live passionately.
dunkang
#3 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 7:36:22 AM

I think Equity, KCB and Britam don't have much headroom left, so i would not recommend them, not unless 5% increase means hundreds of thousands for you.

As for TransCentury, i am also keenly eyeing it to add more, with the only concern been clarification on the RVR sell price to Citadel. However, its always good to buy/sell at this stage of confusion for better returns, though that is more of gambling than investing.

I would highly recommend CFC Stanbic since you clearly stated you are a Long Term Fellow (Though Long Term is Relative, to me its 3-4 years, or when i am satisfied).

Disclaimer: I hold Britam, TransCentury and CFC. Stocks trading is not my primary source of income.
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.” ― Rashi

INTERESTING!
#4 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 7:11:45 PM

Thanks @sparkly and @dunkang. Ok. I think that leaves CfC Stanbic and TransCentury. @dunkang, my definition of long term is at least over a year or when satisfied and that satisfaction could come after 2 or 3 years.

That is the reason why I also eye markets outside Kenya because they have very interesting aspects that can make one some good gains. For example TZ has been yapping about removing foreign investor restrictions at that stockmarket for the longest time and I think it will happen so if someone is in there before it happens, they might make very good gains when the doors of foreign money are flung fully open. The problem is getting money in there in the first place is not that easy.

I will do some more research on CfC so that I can establish a good entry point.

Does anyone know when CfC will pay that dividend or do they want to hold it out there till Q1 results are out so that the price of the stock does not fall?
Ericsson
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:15:57 AM

http://www.theeastafrica.../-/rlr3enz/-/index.html
Members of parliament passed the Special Status Agreement between the governments of Ethiopia and Kenya on March 11, which, among other things, allows locally-owned Kenyan banks to open representative offices in Ethiopia.

KCB here we come to Ethiopia with open arms.
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
INTERESTING!
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:34:58 PM

@Ericsson That is good news to Kenyan banks but they still have a long way to go before they get full access into that market. hey still cannot do banking services and the language is also a barrier. However, it is a step in the right direction.
JeyT
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 16, 2014 10:27:57 AM

sparkly wrote:
We think you should buy CFC.

I agree, CFC is doing well
Maji yakizidi unga toroka
berns
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 16, 2014 10:35:56 AM

SOMEONE mentioned somewhere in another thread they'd received their Equity dividend kitambo. Mpaka now I still havent got mine despite arranging for an EFT with Equity itself n checking on my mail.Am I alone? Plus Equity is scary what with introducing too many ideas/products in a short space of time without taking care of staff morale. Insider info has told me guys there are so demoralised many are at breaking point!
Ericsson
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 16, 2014 10:53:18 AM

@INTERESTING!
A representative office allows a bank to issue loans to potential customers only that in this case the bank is not allowed to take deposits from customers or people in that country.
In the case of for example KCB,company J operating in Ethiopia might approach KCB which has a representative office there for a loan of ksh.1 billion equivalent kenya shillings.
KCB will get the money from the kenya and loan it to the company since KCB Ethiopia has no customer deposits which it would have used.
INTERESTING!
#10 Posted : Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:12:42 PM

Ericsson wrote:
@INTERESTING!
A representative office allows a bank to issue loans to potential customers only that in this case the bank is not allowed to take deposits from customers or people in that country.
In the case of for example KCB,company J operating in Ethiopia might approach KCB which has a representative office there for a loan of ksh.1 billion equivalent kenya shillings.
KCB will get the money from the kenya and loan it to the company since KCB Ethiopia has no customer deposits which it would have used.

@Erricsson. I did not know that. Actually, I went back to CBK's website and saw what a representative office can and cannot do.

"BOC’s Representative Office will market the products and services of Bank of China Ltd to existing and prospective customers in Kenya and the East African region, conduct market research and act as a liaison between the Bank of China Limited’s head office and its customers. Under the Banking Act, a representative office of a foreign bank in Kenya is not permitted to engage in banking business as defined in the Act but can only engage in marketing and liaison roles in connection with the activities of its parent bank and affiliates."

I guess you are right on this one. They can get loans from the main bank that is operating in another jurisdiction and that seems to make sense than just opening up an office for marketing purposes.
Truebeauty
#11 Posted : Thursday, April 17, 2014 10:22:32 AM

berns wrote:
SOMEONE mentioned somewhere in another thread they'd received their Equity dividend kitambo. Mpaka now I still havent got mine despite arranging for an EFT with Equity itself n checking on my mail.Am I alone? Plus Equity is scary what with introducing too many ideas/products in a short space of time without taking care of staff morale. Insider info has told me guys there are so demoralised many are at breaking point!

I'm not really sure whether or not I'm veering off topic, but just mentioning. You see, (regrettably) the major stakeholders may not particularly put staff morale as one of the priorities in their agenda, though this ought to be so. In reality, the market is over-flooded with unemployed fellars, so even if the current staff decide to leave, they will be more than easily replaced as soon as they hit the door.

Sad but true.
Sufficiently Philanga....thropic
#12 Posted : Thursday, April 17, 2014 11:58:29 AM

berns wrote:

Go read the other thread,Equity Vs KCB(not KCB or Equity). I mentioned there that payments will be out from 28th seems you didnt bother reading. And that person who said they've already been paid is a member of staff. Theirs come in earlier!
There's no pain in waiting!
@SufficientlyP
INTERESTING!
#13 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2014 5:36:46 AM

I might just buy...I am VERY inclined to buy Equity...I am cashing out on one of the other stocks I have, I think I will be satisfied with an over 50% capital gain...remember in July that matatu thing kicks off and if it does I expect Equity to do well...also their mobile platform might just upset Safaricom's Mpesa...only time will tell on this one
Mukiri
#14 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2014 7:22:37 AM

INTERESTING! wrote:
I might just buy...I am VERY inclined to buy Equity...I am cashing out on one of the other stocks I have, I think I will be satisfied with an over 50% capital gain...remember in July that matatu thing kicks off and if it does I expect Equity to do well...also their mobile platform might just upset Safaricom's Mpesa...only time will tell on this one

You are a wise manApplause

Proverbs 19:21
Ericsson
#15 Posted : Tuesday, April 29, 2014 12:23:08 PM

Finally after much struggle KCB has hit 50 bob mark.
MaichBlack
#16 Posted : Tuesday, April 29, 2014 12:46:56 PM

dunkang wrote:
I think Equity, KCB and Britam don't have much headroom left, so i would not recommend them, not unless 5% increase means hundreds of thousands for you.

@INTERESTING - I sincerely hope you didn't take this advice which was given on the 14th of this month!

On the 14th April, the price was 32.50/=. Today it has hit 39.00/=. That is a whooping 20% gain in two weeks. And we are still headed NORTH!!!

Tafakari hayo ya babu!!!
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
MaichBlack
#17 Posted : Tuesday, April 29, 2014 1:06:42 PM

@INTERESTING - I hope you read post #9 on this thread which I posted on 17th April [3 days later]. On that day, the share traded at a low of 32.25/=
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
INTERESTING!
#18 Posted : Tuesday, April 29, 2014 2:54:50 PM

MaichBlack wrote:
@INTERESTING - I hope you read post #9 on this thread which I posted on 17th April [3 days later]. On that day, the share traded at a low of 32.25/=

I bought some but I am looking to get out at 42 or 43 he he he he he he Laughing out loudly I think people are becoming too greedy now
ngapat
#19 Posted : Tuesday, February 09, 2016 1:09:51 PM

Based on long term outlook and prospects like

"Equity Group Kenya Targets 10 Million Congo Bank Customers"

I think Equity Bank will be the better buy.
“Invest in yourself. Your career is the engine of your wealth.”
watesh
#20 Posted : Tuesday, February 09, 2016 4:08:19 PM

ngapat wrote:
Based on long term outlook and prospects like

"Equity Group Kenya Targets 10 Million Congo Bank Customers"

I think Equity Bank will be the better buy.

Crossing my fingers Congo wades through these upcoming elections peacefully and the next leader to be even better...