wazua Mon, May 6, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Parastatal Interviews
Kenyan1
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 01, 2014 11:21:52 PM

Parastatal Interviews

I recently attended an interview with a certain parastatal for a middle level position. In the first interview, there was a panel of ten people including the senior managers and the CEO and the interview was comprehensive. The CEO promised to call me for a second and final interview, which happened and we were three top finalists.

In the final interview, there was the board of directors, who are very senior people in the government and the investors. The lead interviewer promised that if successful, my name would be proposed to the chairman for appointment. I was wondering why a middle level position in a state owned corporation would attract that kind of interviewing process like the ones we see for big shots in government.

Anyone with information on the turnaround time between the final interview and job offer, if successful in these state corporations.
Gordon Gekko
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 02, 2014 4:11:12 AM

It's called sitting allowance.
Swenani
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 02, 2014 9:30:19 AM

Kenyan1 wrote:
Parastatal Interviews

I recently attended an interview with a certain parastatal for a middle level position. In the first interview, there was a panel of ten people including the senior managers and the CEO and the interview was comprehensive. The CEO promised to call me for a second and final interview, which happened and we were three top finalists.

In the final interview, there was the board of directors, who are very senior people in the government and the investors. The lead interviewer promised that if successful, my name would be proposed to the chairman for appointment. I was wondering why a middle level position in a state owned corporation would attract that kind of interviewing process like the ones we see for big shots in government.

Anyone with information on the turnaround time between the final interview and job offer, if successful in these state corporations.

Dont raise your hopes,keep on applying for other jobs.getting a mid level parastatal job without bribing someone is hard.If you had bribed or come from the right community as the M.D or majority of the board members you might get the job.

All parastatals in Kenya are a haven for nepotism and tribalism

What
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
jaggernaut
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 02, 2014 9:52:52 AM

Kenyan1 wrote:
Parastatal Interviews

That is the normal procedure in parastatals and state corporations. Appointments are normally made by the board of directors, which is the appointing authority. Therefore, after a position has been advertised, the CEO and his senior managers are required to carry out a preliminary interview to shortlist candidates to be presented to the board for interview. The board then picks the candidate and the CEO, in his capacity as the secretary to the board, is directed by the board to send the appointment letter to the successful candidate. This takes about 2 weeks after the interview because the minutes of that board meeting i.e. interviews and resolutions therein have to be approved and signed by the chairman and secretary to the board (ie CEO).
The CEO can't also single handedly fire you but would have to ask the chairman to call a board meeting where your case would be discussed and the board's decision communicated to you. This system ensures transparency in recruitment in the public service.
FYI, the CEO is also recruited by the same board which normally forwards 3 names of top candidates to the minister/cabinet secretary for consideration whereby he picks one. The chairmen of the board are appointed by the president in a gazette notice while board members are appointed by the minister.
And you don't need to bribe anyone to get the job, infact canvassing may lead to automatic disqualification since board members can get very angry when someone tries to influence their decision.
Much Know
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 02, 2014 11:30:34 AM

jaggernaut wrote:
since board members can get very angry when someone tries to influence their decision.

When did they stop selling these jobs and become "very angry" with corruption. I have been offered these jobs for sale twice, in the 90's going rate was 50,000/- for entry level management and in 2010 i was offered a good Harambee avenue job for 300k from "very reliable sources" by my "tribesmen", i could not believe it's peanuts like that!
A New Kenya
Blackout
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 02, 2014 11:46:16 AM

hei, the pay and other perks must then be humongous if you are call the sale price of 300k, peanuts!
Kenyan1
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 02, 2014 1:21:20 PM

jaggernaut wrote:
Kenyan1 wrote:
Parastatal Interviews

That is the normal procedure in parastatals and state corporations. Appointments are normally made by the board of directors, which is the appointing authority. Therefore, after a position has been advertised, the CEO and his senior managers are required to carry out a preliminary interview to shortlist candidates to be presented to the board for interview. The board then picks the candidate and the CEO, in his capacity as the secretary to the board, is directed by the board to send the appointment letter to the successful candidate. This takes about 2 weeks after the interview because the minutes of that board meeting i.e. interviews and resolutions therein have to be approved and signed by the chairman and secretary to the board (ie CEO).
The CEO can't also single handedly fire you but would have to ask the chairman to call a board meeting where your case would be discussed and the board's decision communicated to you. This system ensures transparency in recruitment in the public service.
FYI, the CEO is also recruited by the same board which normally forwards 3 names of top candidates to the minister/cabinet secretary for consideration whereby he picks one. The chairmen of the board are appointed by the president in a gazette notice while board members are appointed by the minister.
And you don't need to bribe anyone to get the job, infact canvassing may lead to automatic disqualification since board members can get very angry when someone tries to influence their decision.

@jaggernaut...you said that the CEO, in his capacity as the secretary to the board, is directed by the board to send the appointment letter to the successful candidate. Kwani they normally send the appointment letter to your post office address. They don't ask you to go and sign the letter in their office like the private setor companies do?
mawinder
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 02, 2014 4:40:47 PM

Kenyan1 wrote:
jaggernaut wrote:
Kenyan1 wrote:
Parastatal Interviews

@jaggernaut...you said that the CEO, in his capacity as the secretary to the board, is directed by the board to send the appointment letter to the successful candidate. Kwani they normally send the appointment letter to your post office address. They don't ask you to go and sign the letter in their office like the private setor companies do?

Without proper lobbying and bribery forget it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jaggernaut
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 02, 2014 5:45:08 PM

Kenyan1 wrote:
jaggernaut wrote:
Kenyan1 wrote:
Parastatal Interviews

They send 2 copies of the appointment letter to your P.O. box, you sign/accept the offer and return one copy to them. Some may call you to pick and sign the appointment letter. Then they give you up to 3 months to tender your resignation with current employer and report to the new job.
Kenyan1
#10 Posted : Wednesday, April 02, 2014 5:58:36 PM

jaggernaut wrote:
Kenyan1 wrote:
jaggernaut wrote:
Kenyan1 wrote:
Parastatal Interviews

They send 2 copies of the appointment letter to your P.O. box, you sign/accept the offer and return one copy to them. Some may call you to pick and sign the appointment letter. Then they give you up to 3 months to tender your resignation with current employer and report to the new job.

Thanks for the info...You seem to be very informed coz I was wondering about this issue of bribery being fronted. How would someone even approach a whole director(that you don't even know) with a bribe. Plus I don't believe in corruption. I would rather not get it if I had to bribe my way in.
jaggernaut
#11 Posted : Wednesday, April 02, 2014 6:54:11 PM

Kenyan1 wrote:
jaggernaut wrote:
Kenyan1 wrote:
jaggernaut wrote:
Kenyan1 wrote:
Parastatal Interviews

Thanks for the info...You seem to be very informed coz I was wondering about this issue of bribery being fronted. How would someone even approach a whole director(that you don't even know) with a bribe. Plus I don't believe in corruption. I would rather not get it if I had to bribe my way in.

My first job after graduation was in a parastatal and i went though the process i've mentioned above. I attended the 2 interviews and never bribed anyone, neither did i know anyone in the organisation. My friends and family were also amazed that i got the job without kitu kidogo or knowing anyone. As long as your CV is solid uko sawa. Though i quit the job after a few yrs for 'greener pastures'.
jaggernaut
#12 Posted : Wednesday, April 02, 2014 7:35:23 PM

Much Know wrote:
jaggernaut wrote:
since board members can get very angry when someone tries to influence their decision.

When did they stop selling these jobs and become "very angry" with corruption. I have been offered these jobs for sale twice, in the 90's going rate was 50,000/- for entry level management and in 2010 i was offered a good Harambee avenue job for 300k from "very reliable sources" by my "tribesmen", i could not believe it's peanuts like that!

Those who were asking for kick backs must have been conmen. There are some rogue employees who when they know their parastatal is recruiting, they pretend that they can influence the process to help someone, and that way they make some money from desperate candidates.
When i was working for a parastatal yrs back, i got the rare privilege of being in the short listing/recruitment committee, where we would go through hundreds of applications and would pick the best candidates, whose names we would forward to the CEO for the first interview. And only those candidates who we shortlisted and ranked on the basis of qualifications, work experience, age etc were called for interview. The CEO never asked us to include any new names on our list. And i never saw anyone ever employed who was never on our initial shortlist. It was very professional.
dunkang
#13 Posted : Wednesday, April 02, 2014 7:59:50 PM

@Jagger, Just to remind you, we are talking about Kenya.

The rot i witness and hear from my friends, Kenya is beyond repair.

In my whole life, i have just seen 2 fair, open and enviable interviews. One was a friend who made it at a Kenya Forest Service interview, the other one was for an MD for a Water and Sewerage Company.
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.” ― Rashi

jaggernaut
#14 Posted : Wednesday, April 02, 2014 8:38:01 PM

dunkang wrote:

In my whole life, i have just seen 2 fair, open and enviable interviews. One was a friend who made it at a Kenya Forest Service interview, the other one was for an MD for a Water and Sewerage Company.

There are so many lies and innuendos being said regarding govt. From my experience having worked there for some time, most of these negative things said about gov't are untruths from an ignorant public. Over 30 of my former campus classmates at 'The' and i never bribed anyone to get govt jobs. We saw adverts in the Friday Daily Nation, we applied, we got called to interviews, and were recruited (unless things have changed in past 5yrs when i resigned from govt). Later, when i was in the recruitment/shortlisting committee in a parastatal we never received or asked for even a single cent from candidates (infact we would have been fired on the spot if we did that), rather it's their university transcripts that spoke for them. So don't get afraid of applying for a govt job eti coz you don't have a god father.
Swenani
#15 Posted : Wednesday, April 02, 2014 11:40:47 PM

jaggernaut wrote:
dunkang wrote:

There are so many lies and innuendos being said regarding govt. From my experience having worked there for some time, most of these negative things said about gov't are untruths from an ignorant public. Over 30 of my former campus classmates at 'The' (including my wife) and i never bribed anyone to get govt jobs. We saw adverts in the Friday Daily Nation, we applied, we got called to interviews, and were recruited (unless things have changed in past 5yrs when i resigned from govt). Later, when i was in the recruitment/shortlisting committee in a parastatal we never received or asked for even a single cent from candidates (infact we would have been fired on the spot if we did that), rather it's their university transcripts that spoke for them. So don't get afraid of applying for a govt job eti coz you don't have a god father.

most of your applicants came from the ceo and your tribe or you must have been a clerical officer/ assistant
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
jaggernaut
#16 Posted : Thursday, April 03, 2014 1:59:46 AM

Swenani wrote:
jaggernaut wrote:
dunkang wrote:

There are so many lies and innuendos being said regarding govt. From my experience having worked there for some time, most of these negative things said about gov't are untruths from an ignorant public. Over 30 of my former campus classmates at 'The' and i never bribed anyone to get govt jobs. We saw adverts in the Friday Daily Nation, we applied, we got called to interviews, and were recruited (unless things have changed in past 5yrs when i resigned from govt). Later, when i was in the recruitment/shortlisting committee in a parastatal we never received or asked for even a single cent from candidates (infact we would have been fired on the spot if we did that), rather it's their university transcripts that spoke for them. So don't get afraid of applying for a govt job eti coz you don't have a god father.

most of your applicants came from the ceo and your tribe or you must have been a clerical officer/ assistant

Nope! The job adverts would be placed in the nation and standard as per regulations and hundreds of qualified candidates would apply. We ranked the candidates based on their qualifications, thus only first class and upper second were considered. Then we picked the top 15 to appear in the 1st interview, whereby 5 were interviewed from 8-10am, the next 5 from 10-1pm and the other 5 from 2-4pm. Then the 5 or 7 best from the 1st interview would appear before the board and the best would be selected and appointed. At no point was the candidate's tribe considered nor did the CEO direct that some candidates be included on the list.
And FYI i wasn't a junior officer coz several times i sat in the 1st interview committee.......and also hammered the candidates with questions.
iKenya
#17 Posted : Thursday, April 03, 2014 4:45:55 AM

jaggernaut wrote:
Much Know wrote:
jaggernaut wrote:

Those who were asking for kick backs must have been conmen. There are some rogue employees who when they know their parastatal is recruiting, they pretend that they can influence the process to help someone, and that way they make some money from desperate candidates.
When i was working for a parastatal yrs back, i got the rare privilege of being in the short listing/recruitment committee, where we would go through hundreds of applications and would pick the best candidates, whose names we would forward to the CEO for the first interview. And only those candidates who we shortlisted and ranked on the basis of qualifications, work experience, age etc were called for interview. The CEO never asked us to include any new names on our list. And i never saw anyone ever employed who was never on our initial shortlist. It was very professional.

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause
Quote:
Buy when there's blood in the streets, even if the blood is your own...
tnai9
#18 Posted : Thursday, April 03, 2014 9:27:38 AM

What is being said above is true. But its also true there is rampant nepotism. In some parastatals i know, relatives are picked on contract say of 6 mo, and the contracts are continuously renewed for like 3yrs, then internal advertisements are done and these relatives are absorbed.
But there is also fairness in some areas and specializations. If a parastatal needs a doc/DBA or lawyer, it may be possible that among relas of senior managers/directors no one has such qualifications and adverts will be done as earlier mentioned. This kinda kupita katikati.

True, nepotism is so rampant, but there are also those getting parastatal jobs fairly and competitively.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ― Charles Bukowski