Which insurance companies are strong enough to make acquisitions
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
FUNKY
#3102 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 7:23:22 AM

Queen
#3103 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 8:49:10 AM

FUNKY wrote:
https://www.nation.co.ke/business/Kenya-sells-third-Sh210bn-Eurobond/996-5117296-i606ebz/index.html

We are doomed!

Taking a loan to repay another loan...
lochaz-index
#3104 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 10:11:35 AM

mnandii wrote:
xtina wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
wukan wrote:
@mnandii, great stuff. I see the target of 2252 holding. Sub 2K will generate too much political heat

Sub 2000 is coming but perhaps next year. This is not a smash and grab type of bear...kills you softly while offering a false sense of hope. It will be an interesting run of things from all spheres here on out.

next year? you mean the time to buy is still not here but next year?

Might be longer. Most guys trying to buy stocks are hopping for a miracle but I don't see one any time soon.

Bingo! That's the problem this time round. Buying is the easy part, waiting is the tough bit. Early readings suggest a U-recovery more than anything else and patience will wear thin before a bull of any sort can be achieved save for the occasional bounces and relief rallies. It is still an uneasy calm at the moment without any form of capitulation.
The main purpose of the stock market is to make fools of as many people as possible.
lochaz-index
#3105 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 10:15:04 AM

xtina wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
wukan wrote:
@mnandii, great stuff. I see the target of 2252 holding. Sub 2K will generate too much political heat

Sub 2000 is coming but perhaps next year. This is not a smash and grab type of bear...kills you softly while offering a false sense of hope. It will be an interesting run of things from all spheres here on out.

Potentially longer than that but I suspect the NSE20 will breach sub 2000 at the very least next year even if temporarily. If you can buy and forget, good for you...the ones who watch the market constantly will be a tortured lot.

Other than domestic fundamentals, KE's fate is hugely dependent on happenings in the international markets mainly interest rate and USD trends.
The main purpose of the stock market is to make fools of as many people as possible.
lochaz-index
#3106 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 10:26:10 AM

wukan wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
wukan wrote:

This soft killing bear is going to hurt a lot of folks. Insurance companies which don't invest a lot on TA will have a rough year ahead.

Quote:
Significant underwriting losses for many players were witnessed last year, leaving a number of insurers with ratios below the legal minimum requirements set by the Insurance Regulatory Authority (IRA).

“I think this is the worst year ever in Kenya’s history. We need to ask for how long. Another one similar year and half of these companies will go bust. Maybe consolidation is an answer,” Jubilee Holdings chairman Nizar Juma told the Business Daily.

That will be a good sign on the capitulation front. Skeletons abound in the banking sector too.
lochaz-index
#3107 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 10:33:09 AM

mnandii wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
mnandii wrote:
I did warn about bank and insurance companies collapsing when the bear in the NSE 20 Share Index took a strong hold. Then I was being told how Kenyan banks have strong capital ratios, ati sijui we have a smart CBK governor? Now I hear there is a bank and an insurance company that are facing difficult times Sad ?

I doubt you were told all banks were the same. Even back then, NBK had poor fundamentals. Overall the KE banking sector looks OK. There will always be a few stragglers.
Spire, NBK, etc were weak back in 2016 and remain so today.

Even among insurance firms, you have the likes of Jubilee, which may face challenges in some years, and some shady/weak ones that remain on the edge forever.

As long as the banks practice their well established business model i.e fractional reserve banking, they are vulnerable. When a bank run happens then it will not matter the fundamentals of any bank, they all go down.

That would be a sight to behold. That's one of the strongest no confidence vote in the system.
Angelica _ann
#3108 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 10:36:39 AM

lochaz-index wrote:
wukan wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
wukan wrote:

This soft killing bear is going to hurt a lot of folks. Insurance companies which don't invest a lot on TA will have a rough year ahead.

Quote:
Significant underwriting losses for many players were witnessed last year, leaving a number of insurers with ratios below the legal minimum requirements set by the Insurance Regulatory Authority (IRA).

“I think this is the worst year ever in Kenya’s history. We need to ask for how long. Another one similar year and half of these companies will go bust. Maybe consolidation is an answer,” Jubilee Holdings chairman Nizar Juma told the Business Daily.

That will be a good sign on the capitulation front. Skeletons abound in the banking sector too.

Shows clearly how our economy is doing since this is a sector that deals with all other sectors. But it is orite!!!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
obiero
#3109 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 10:48:10 AM

Angelica _ann wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
wukan wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
wukan wrote:

Quote:

Shows clearly how our economy is doing since this is a sector that deals with all other sectors. But it is orite!!!

The easiest way to unlock the economy is to reverse the rate cap immediately by presidential decree and form a joint committee between CBK, KBA and National Assembly to look at the cause of its failure and improvement required..

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
mnandii
#3110 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 5:51:34 PM

obiero wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
wukan wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
wukan wrote:

Quote:

The easiest way to unlock the economy is to reverse the rate cap immediately by presidential decree and form a joint committee between CBK, KBA and National Assembly to look at the cause of its failure and improvement required..

The rate cap was reversed by the courts? No? But it will take about 10 months to be fully implemented.
Conventional thinkers waste time building shelters when they are unnecessary and then have no shelters when they need them the most. Socionomists do the opposite.
mnandii
#3111 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 5:54:29 PM

NSE sheds Sh210bn in two weeks of bank stock selloff

Quote:
Stock market investors have lost Sh210 billion paper wealth in the past two weeks as the falling share prices of telecommunications company Safaricom and most bank counters pulled the NSE 20-Share Index to a 10-year low.

The Nairobi Securities Exchange (NSE) 20-Share Index, which captures movement of select blue chip stocks, has fallen to 2,682 points, a level last seen in March 2009.

Investor wealth as measured by market capitalisation has shrunk to Sh2.199 trillion from Sh2.4 trillion at the beginning of this month.

Bank stocks, which account for 28 percent of the NSE’s total market valuation and a fifth of the market’s 96.2 billion total issued shares issued shares, have been on a decline partly attributed to the end of the dividend announcements season.

BD Link
Conventional thinkers waste time building shelters when they are unnecessary and then have no shelters when they need them the most. Socionomists do the opposite.
mnandii
#3112 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 6:05:27 PM

lochaz-index wrote:
mnandii wrote:
xtina wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
wukan wrote:

Might be longer. Most guys trying to buy stocks are hopping for a miracle but I don't see one any time soon.

Bingo! That's the problem this time round. Buying is the easy part, waiting is the tough bit. Early readings suggest a U-recovery more than anything else and patience will wear thin before a bull of any sort can be achieved save for the occasional bounces and relief rallies. It is still an uneasy calm at the moment without any form of capitulation.

The unfortunate thing is, when the right time to buy(bear bottom) finally arrives most will be passionately bearish. And even if some were of the sense to buy, the other problem is that they will be devastated financially to make a meaningful attempt.

This bear is serious business folks. I tend to see the country going the Venezuela way. Pray
mufasa
#3113 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2019 10:37:17 AM

Venezuela might be too much of a stretch. I don't see any serious natural resource that would make the western world hell bent on controlling us or the resource.

Ours is a case (still in its infancy) of deficiency in leadership that is exacerbated with cronyism. We can nip it in the bud with one good election.
Do it today! Tomorrow is promise to no-one.
mulla
#3114 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2019 11:39:39 AM

mnandii wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
mnandii wrote:
xtina wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
wukan wrote:

The unfortunate thing is, when the right time to buy(bear bottom) finally arrives most will be passionately bearish. And even if some were of the sense to buy, the other problem is that they will be devastated financially to make a meaningful attempt.

This bear is serious business folks. I tend to see the country going the Venezuela way. Pray

How true....
mnandii
#3115 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2019 2:24:16 PM

mufasa wrote:
Venezuela might be too much of a stretch. I don't see any serious natural resource that would make the western world hell bent on controlling us or the resource.

Ours is a case (still in its infancy) of deficiency in leadership that is exacerbated with cronyism. We can nip it in the bud with one good election.

Venezuela crisis is not from outside forces.

And leadership is a reflection of society. Mood, as reflected in the stock market, determines the kind of leaders we choose.

Please realize that the crises in Venezuela started after(emphasis) the stock market had tanked. That was a reflection of the direction of mood.

In our case as long as the NSE 20 share index continues to fall then you should expect bank crises(serious ones), epidemics, wars (or revolution), alot of witchcraft, more religiousness, unemployment and layoffs, shortages of goods and services etc.
mnandii
#3116 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2019 2:28:46 PM

mnandii wrote:
mufasa wrote:

And leadership is a reflection of society. Mood, as reflected in the stock market, determines the kind of leaders we choose.

Please realize that the crises in Venezuela started after(emphasis) the stock market had tanked. That was a reflection of the direction of mood.

In our case as long as the NSE 20 share index continues to fall then you should expect bank crises(serious ones), epidemics, wars (or revolution), alot of witchcraft, more religiousness, unemployment and layoffs, shortages of goods and services etc.

Basically a society makes three steps forward and two steps backward. This is necessary for society's progress and is also likely a reason why people die. The death is necessary so that a new generation emerges that is not stuck by ideas and attitudes of the past and is therefore more capable of giving the society the impetus it needs to adapt and progress
mnandii
#3117 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2019 2:33:06 PM

mnandii wrote:
mnandii wrote:
mufasa wrote:

Basically a society makes three steps forward and two steps backward. This is necessary for society's progress and is also likely a reason why people die. The death is necessary so that a new generation emerges that is not stuck by ideas and attitudes of the past and is therefore more capable of giving the society the impetus it needs to adapt and progress

And hence the booms and bursts.
Monk
#3118 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2019 7:22:07 AM

mufasa wrote:

My sentiments exactly.
Angelica _ann
#3119 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2019 8:30:49 AM

Monk wrote:
mufasa wrote:

My sentiments exactly.

We can't reach Venezuela coz we are rich in a variety of resources. We are also very tolerant people.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
obiero
#3120 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2019 10:01:34 AM

Angelica _ann wrote:
Monk wrote:
mufasa wrote:

My sentiments exactly.

We can't reach Venezuela coz we are rich in a variety of resources. We are also very tolerant people.

Maybe Jimmy has some of his great father's genes.. We should make him run

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45