obiero wrote:
Liv wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
murchr wrote:
Liv wrote:
wukan wrote:
Liv wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
Just had a quick look at the finance bill (now law), the implications of the taxes will be devastating:

1. Money velocity is about to go to the dogs. Deflation in earnest really and it won't be kind to any asset class including the NSE.

2. Looks like KE won't be dodging a debt/fiscal crisis.

3. KES devaluation is now almost a certainty, the only question is when.

4. Political and civil upheaval is expected coz the only language treasury understands is increasing taxes. The other half of the 8% VAT will be imposed at the very latest in the 2019/20 budget.

5. Capital gains tax especially on real estate will be increased substantially.

I agree with your conclusion point 1 above based on the new law.

A). How do you come to the other 4 points in your conclusion based on the new law?

B) How does KES devaluation become a certainty in an environment of deflation?

C) conclusion point 4 is just wishful thinking in my view.... It will not happen in Kenya as we are so divided by tribe and we follow our tribal leaders.

A. Based on the level of desperation shown by Treasury to pass the new law...you get that nakumatt feeling. The market is pretty good at smelling desperation. The sharks will start gathering same way they did in Turkey and Argentina. We told IMF to f*** off with their insurance cover.

B. @lochaz-index has previously posted that the interest rate cap operates like a currency peg. It's deflationary at at time when KE has piled up debt. It's also helping our current account by slowing down consumption of imports. It's almost like we are artificially propping KES. When the peg can't be defended because of reduced forex reserves then Pray Pray Pray for KES. You might see KES beyond 120.

C. In 2002 it was "yote yawezekana" so let's just watch the unfolding events.

A). Desperation? What desperation.... the government lowered vat on petrol products from 16 to 8%. They cut the budget by sh 55 billion. Where did you read desperation?... Can you explain what will the sharks you are talking about do to the economy or are likely to do? Added +8% from 0. My question is why was it 0 rated in the first place? I dont see Kenyans changing their driving, travelling habits because of this....they will lament and get used to it

B). The KES is not strong today because it's being defended using Forex reserves. It's strong because of the deflationary state of the economy. I asked....how will KES weaken in the current state of deflation? And at what point will the Peg you mentioned become indefensible?

C). I didn't get your point how the new law will eventually lead to political chaos in Kenya. Please elaborate. I concur....that will not happen. Monday comes and we go on with life as if nothing ever happened.

All in all......Uhuru should clean up treasury. There are fiscal management and debt issues that need to be tightened and that cannot happen without a shift in mentality. Njiraini needs to go. KRA is still a corruption den...

@Liv the government didn't lower VAT on petrol from 16 to 8 but introduced VAT on petrol at 8%.

You are right sweetheart.... but does that sound like the government acted desperately as someone would want us to believe here?

Angelica could be a man na unamuita sweetie..

You're a nosy meddler. You could be interfering with other people's lifestyles...Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

@Obiero, surely. no words for you Sad Sad Sad
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
obiero
#2982 Posted : Sunday, September 23, 2018 9:36:37 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
Spikes wrote:
obiero wrote:
Liv wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
murchr wrote:
Liv wrote:
wukan wrote:
Liv wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
Just had a quick look at the finance bill (now law), the implications of the taxes will be devastating:

1. Money velocity is about to go to the dogs. Deflation in earnest really and it won't be kind to any asset class including the NSE.

4. Political and civil upheaval is expected coz the only language treasury understands is increasing taxes. The other half of the 8% VAT will be imposed at the very latest in the 2019/20 budget.

A). How do you come to the other 4 points in your conclusion based on the new law?

C) conclusion point 4 is just wishful thinking in my view.... It will not happen in Kenya as we are so divided by tribe and we follow our tribal leaders.

A. Based on the level of desperation shown by Treasury to pass the new law...you get that nakumatt feeling. The market is pretty good at smelling desperation. The sharks will start gathering same way they did in Turkey and Argentina. We told IMF to f*** off with their insurance cover.

B. @lochaz-index has previously posted that the interest rate cap operates like a currency peg. It's deflationary at at time when KE has piled up debt. It's also helping our current account by slowing down consumption of imports. It's almost like we are artificially propping KES. When the peg can't be defended because of reduced forex reserves then Pray Pray Pray for KES. You might see KES beyond 120.

A). Desperation? What desperation.... the government lowered vat on petrol products from 16 to 8%. They cut the budget by sh 55 billion. Where did you read desperation?... Can you explain what will the sharks you are talking about do to the economy or are likely to do? Added +8% from 0. My question is why was it 0 rated in the first place? I dont see Kenyans changing their driving, travelling habits because of this....they will lament and get used to it

B). The KES is not strong today because it's being defended using Forex reserves. It's strong because of the deflationary state of the economy. I asked....how will KES weaken in the current state of deflation? And at what point will the Peg you mentioned become indefensible?

C). I didn't get your point how the new law will eventually lead to political chaos in Kenya. Please elaborate. I concur....that will not happen. Monday comes and we go on with life as if nothing ever happened.

All in all......Uhuru should clean up treasury. There are fiscal management and debt issues that need to be tightened and that cannot happen without a shift in mentality. Njiraini needs to go. KRA is still a corruption den...

@Liv the government didn't lower VAT on petrol from 16 to 8 but introduced VAT on petrol at 8%.

You are right sweetheart.... but does that sound like the government acted desperately as someone would want us to believe here?

You're a nosy meddler. You could be interfering with other people's lifestyles...Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Woi.. I didn't mean any harm sweetie

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
mlennyma
#2983 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 12:23:28 PM

Some green before the next leg down?
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
sparkly
#2984 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 12:51:06 PM

obiero wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
Spikes wrote:
obiero wrote:
Liv wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
murchr wrote:
Liv wrote:
wukan wrote:
Liv wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly @Angelica is our sweetie ata kama ni mwanaume. Mbona mwanaume asiitwe sweetie Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly ?
Life is short. Live passionately.
mnandii
#2985 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2018 7:05:31 AM

Quote:
Only 8% of the world's currency exists as physical cash. The rest exists only in electronic accounts worldwide

tweet link

What happens when banks collapse?
Conventional thinkers waste time building shelters when they are unnecessary and then have no shelters when they need them the most. Socionomists do the opposite.
obiero
#2986 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2018 7:23:44 AM

sparkly wrote:
obiero wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
Spikes wrote:
obiero wrote:
Liv wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
murchr wrote:
Liv wrote:
wukan wrote:
Liv wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly @Angelica is our sweetie ata kama ni mwanaume. Mbona mwanaume asiitwe sweetie Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly ?

Ntakutandika makofi 🤣

mnandii
#2987 Posted : Monday, October 01, 2018 6:39:10 PM

mnandii wrote:
mnandii wrote:

I expect Safcom to continue dropping in circle wave ((iv)) and find support at about 25.00. Thereafter it should rise in wave circled wave ((v)) to above 33.00.

25.00 level reached today 20th September. I expect a bounce to above 33.00 level to complete circled wave ((v)). If the drop continues any further down below 25.00 then it should not touch 21.70 (being the circled wave (((i))) high). NB: Elliott's rule states that a fourth wave should not overlap the wave one.

Conventional thinkers waste time building shelters when they are unnecessary and then have no shelters when they need them the most. Socionomists do the opposite.
mnandii
#2988 Posted : Monday, October 01, 2018 6:46:27 PM

Safcom continues to fall and is now threatening 21.60, being the top of wave ((i)) circled. Looking at the chart keenly I realize that safcom likely completed wave 5 at 33.54. This implies that the current fall has further to go and will likely find support at 21.69 or about 16.20.

I once warned people to be careful with Safcom. Many will burn their fingers with this counter. Forget about the financial position of the company. That does not determine its share price.
Ericsson
#2989 Posted : Monday, October 01, 2018 8:14:24 PM

mnandii wrote:

Safcom continues to fall and is now threatening 21.60, being the top of wave ((i)) circled. Looking at the chart keenly I realize that safcom likely completed wave 5 at 33.54. This implies that the current fall has further to go and will likely find support at 21.69 or about 16.20.

I once warned people to be careful with Safcom. Many will burn their fingers with this counter. Forget about the financial position of the company. That does not determine its share price.

Let it come to 16.20 i buy more
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
VituVingiSana
#2990 Posted : Monday, October 01, 2018 8:51:19 PM

Ericsson wrote:
mnandii wrote:

Now that's an attractive entry point. In my case, to add more.
Despite the competition, I find the "pie" can grow much larger for all the players. I continue using Faiba4G for data but Safcom still gets my money for other uses.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
rwitre
#2991 Posted : Monday, October 01, 2018 10:38:23 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
mnandii wrote:

Now that's an attractive entry point. In my case, to add more.
Despite the competition, I find the "pie" can grow much larger for all the players. I continue using Faiba4G for data but Safcom still gets my money for other uses.

Considering SCOM's weight in the market, if it dares go that low, the amount of bloodshed on the other counters will be massive. Wengine tuko mlango ya ICU tunachungulia ndani Pray Pray

Meanwhile, Safaricom is going into home security, leveraging on the growing fibre network. Huge scaling potential there. Currently piloting at Ngei Estate, Lang'ata.
obiero
#2992 Posted : Tuesday, October 02, 2018 6:32:37 AM

mnandii wrote:
mnandii wrote:
mnandii wrote:

I expect Safcom to continue dropping in circle wave ((iv)) and find support at about 25.00. Thereafter it should rise in wave circled wave ((v)) to above 33.00.

25.00 level reached today 20th September. I expect a bounce to above 33.00 level to complete circled wave ((v)). If the drop continues any further down below 25.00 then it should not touch 21.70 (being the circled wave (((i))) high). NB: Elliott's rule states that a fourth wave should not overlap the wave one.

It's dropping too hard and fast

mnandii
#2993 Posted : Wednesday, October 03, 2018 6:37:22 AM

The Point is this: Religion ISN'T the CAUSE for moral bankruptcy. Though moral bankruptcy and religiousness tends to occur concurrently, the reason WHY that is so is because of something that we all share called Mass Psychology. Mass Psychology is responsible for people buying shares or selling, fashion trends, going to war or making peace etc. When Mass Psychology is trending positive then people buy shares(resulting is share price increase), they use Science and reason, they are generally happier, there's peace and Accord. When Mass Psychology trends negative then people start using magical thinking rather than reason and science, they sell shares(resulting in bear markets), they tend to be more religious (hence Ndii's observation), there's conflict resulting in wars, women tend to wear clothes that cover almost whole body(rather than in positive psychology where they tend to wear miniskirts) and many other social actions. So at David Ndii is correct in his observation that religiousness and moral bankruptcy occur simultaneously but he has failed to make the correct link for the CAUSE. For more go to www.socionomics.net.
mnandii
#2994 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2018 11:53:35 PM

mnandii wrote:

mnandii
#2995 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2018 12:41:55 AM

There is no mistaking it now. Safaricom is in for a major bear market. The move below 24.00 was especially telling since it confirmed that the bullish zigzag pattern that we had assumed was developing from the 33.50s level is no longer tenable(i.e the zigzag was supposed to have ended at 24.00 level and Safcom was to then rise to above 33.50s).

As it stands now, Safaricom is dropping in an impulse wave pattern from the 33.50s high(I'll post a chart to show the subdivisions of this impulse wave A ).

Targets for the end of wave A are 21.69(being the Fibonacci 38.2% retracement of the whole impulse wave rise from about 2.50 (i.e start of public trading in Safcom shares) to the 33.50s high) and 18.03(being 50% retracement) and a more likely target of 16.20s. This 16.20s target is very likely since Elliott tells us that if wave five in an impulse wave is extended(i.e showing elaborate subdivisions and is elongated as our wave 5 is in this case) then we should expect a swift retracement that finds suppoort at the second wave of the extension(that being 16.20, the end of circled wave ((ii)))

NB: Wave 5 starts at 12.70s (the end of wave 4) and ends at 33.50s and is composed of circled waves ((i)) to ((v)).

In the fullness of time I expect Safaricom to fall as shown in the pattern depicted by the lines labelled as A B and C on the extreme right of the graph. I.E SAn initial impulse wave drop(which is currently underway) to complete wave A, a modest upward retracement to complete wave B then a final fall that goes downward beyond the end of wave A to complete wave C. If this scenario proves correct then Safaricom should eventually find support at about 14.00s (being the Fibonacci 61.8% retracement OR at 9.17(being the Fibonacci 78.6% retracement of the whole rise from 2.50s to 33.50s.

It is important to note that as Safaricom continues to fall so will the profitability of the company.

In Elliott Wave Corrective formations a scenario where Safaricom price rise above 33.50s before the conclusion of the bear market is entirely possible but so far evidence is heavily tilted on the side of the scenario I have painted above. If however the current falling wave A turns out to be three waves instead of the expected five waves then we should expect a rise of wave B to to go slightly above 33.50s.

SUMMARY:
safaricom is falling in wave A of a major bear market whose target is about 16.20s. Once wave A completes then wave B will rise countertrend to retrace a small portion of wave A. Once wave B completes at a level somewhere significantly below 33.50s then wave C will ensue and will drop further below the end of wave A to a likely target of about 9.17 (being the Fibonacci 78.6% retracement of the whole Safaricom Share price rise from the 2.50s level).
mnandii
#2996 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2018 1:01:20 AM

SAFARICOM
Subdivisions of the falling wave A that is currently underway. Note that circled waves ((i)) and ((ii)) are complete. Circled wave ((iii)) is currently in progress. Once wave ((iii)) completes then waves ((iv)) and ((v)) will ensue likely as depicted by the trendlines. The target for wave ((iii)) is at 19.50s(being a Fibonacci 1.618 multiple of wave ((i)).
mnandii
#2997 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2018 1:49:00 AM

FIBONACCI AND THE SAFARICOM COUNTER:

After nudging from Charles Collins, R.N. Elliott researched and came to the conclusion that the Golden Ratio(Fibonacci) is the basis of the Wave Principle. I can count at least three instances where Fibonacci mathematics apply as regards the Safaricom Share Price:

a)

Wave 3, at about 18.00 is Fibonacci 4.236 X wave 1. Wave 1 starts at 2.50 and ends at about 6.10 thus
wave 1 = (6.10 - 2.50) = 3.60

The end of wave 2 is 2.80
Therefore, (3.60 X 4.236) = 15.25
Adding 15.25 + 2.80 = 18.05 (which happens to be the end of wave 3)

b) Wave 4 retraced approximately Fibonacci 38.2% of wave 3 (This is a common tendency and is named a guideline according to Elliott literature).

c)

Wave 1 through to wave 3 is the same size as wave 5 if wave 5 is counted from the start of wave 4 (18.00). Thus the Elliott guideline that waves one through to wave three usually form a golden ratio with wave five.
Figuratively,
Wave 1 through 3 = (18.00 - 2.50) = 15.50
And wave 5 = (33.50 - 18.00)= 15.50

ETC
Angelica _ann
#2998 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2018 10:35:27 PM

Mr. Elliott's wave don't u out think this is shifting the goalpost after knowing the direction the share price is taking?
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
VituVingiSana
#2999 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2018 2:11:03 AM

@mnandii said "It is important to note that as Safaricom continues to fall so will the profitability of the company."
Why would the profitability of Safcom (the business) trend the fall in the price of the shares?

On a fundamental basis, I understand why the (potential) DECREASE in profits could lead to a lower share price BUT I do not understand why profits would follow a decrease in the share price.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
VituVingiSana
#3000 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2018 2:22:10 AM

@mnandii wrote:
"Safaricom is falling in wave A of a major bear market whose target is about 16.20s. Once wave A completes then wave B will rise countertrend to retrace a small portion of wave A. Once wave B completes at a level somewhere significantly below 33.50s then wave C will ensue and will drop further below the end of wave A to a likely target of about 9.17 (being the Fibonacci 78.6% retracement of the whole Safaricom Share price rise from the 2.50s level)."

This I would like to see especially the fall to 9.17 as long as the fundamentals do not change.
Are you saying the tail (share price) is wagging the dog (business/profits/cashflow)?

I am also a pragmatist i.e. most businesses/firms face challenges in the very long-term due to technology, tastes, politics, etc. Schumpeter.
Nokia
Motorola
GE
Apple1
Microsoft (had a challenging period not so long ago)
GM/Ford/Chrysler
KK (almost died under Segman)

The darlings in Kenya once upon a time:
ARM
KQ
BBK/SCBK
Marshalls
BOC
KenGen
NBK