wazua Mon, Apr 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

33 Pages«<313233
Plane Crash?
newfarer
#641 Posted : Saturday, April 06, 2019 8:27:37 AM

Apricot wrote:
I remember I used to solve calculus by simplifying a problem to a point where I could solve it without a calculator. That was labourious. Today my child just needs to know the right approach to the solution then pull out her TI-84 graphical calculator to complete the problem.

On one hand the technology frees us from more mundane tasks like the calculation I did years ago, and frees the mind to focus on broader or deeper issues, if the mind is put to such. On the flip side though, it lends opportunity for the mind not to put effort in conceptual depth, simply because tools and software have taken out that curiosity for many.

But would I want to return to the era of FORTRAN or Basic programming or to Windows 3.1 MSDOS platform. Perhaps not. I like what I can do with PYTHON or C++, so newer technology is inevitable and No to dumbing down!

In the same breath, just as we thought that Moores law was reaching its limit (smaller and more numerous transistors fitted in the same area as before), we discover 2D materials like graphene, red phosphorus, molybdenum sulfide to expand the arena. And so we continue to make more powerful, flexible yet cheaper IC chips. Humanity will thus see more technology integrated in their everyday activities, like in sensors. cars, trains, planes, fridges, entertainment, traffic signals, security cameras, etc, because we can afford to. Technology will thus continue to be an integral part of our lives and we should find ways to make sure that it will work as intended 99.9% of the time. That should be the goal.

this is deep
punda amecheka
hardwood
#642 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2019 10:12:36 AM

murchr
#643 Posted : Wednesday, January 08, 2020 2:55:22 PM

Will the US send it's investigators to Iran?
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Angelica _ann
#644 Posted : Wednesday, January 08, 2020 2:57:00 PM

murchr wrote:
Will the US send it's investigators to Iran?

Iran has already refused to give Boeing the 'black boxes'.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen