wazua Fri, Apr 19, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

18 Pages123>»
Just How Big the Universe is
masukuma
#1 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 7:39:13 PM

Experience Just How Big the Universe is, in One Mind-Blowing Interactive
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
Seasoned
#2 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 8:03:42 PM

Awesome.. check this out, though long

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbTMT6SCn3Y
Mukiri
#3 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 8:15:34 PM

Goes to show you how Mighty our God is. I shared a sermon sometime back, that when one zooms in on the greatness of God, you and your wants (for when most people pray, its to ask for things) matter not.

Proverbs 19:21
harrydre
#4 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 10:24:40 PM

so what's beyond that 'observable universe'? smile
i.am.back!!!!
masukuma
#5 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 11:24:51 PM

harrydre wrote:

the unobservable universe... duh!!
harrydre
#6 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 11:32:12 PM

masukuma wrote:
harrydre wrote:

that was on a light touch but of course we know there is something there right?
i.am.back!!!!
radio
#7 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 11:45:02 PM

Sometimes, I can't help but wonder, "Who verifies these claims?"
masukuma
#8 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 11:50:18 PM

radio wrote:
Sometimes, I can't help but wonder, "Who verifies these claims?"

it's all in the math!!
harrydre
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 12:11:05 AM

like the claims of such and such was formed 2 billion years ago..smile smile
i.am.back!!!!
murchr
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:23:12 AM

masukuma wrote:
harrydre wrote:

And the universe is still expanding, just imagine how insignificant the planet earth is. I saw the picture of earth that the mars rover transmitted and just smile.
If you get time watch Stephen Hawkings documentaries on the universe, they are very informative
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
mkeiy
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 8:00:18 AM

Can we just conclude by saying the universe is "size-less"?
As in you cannot measure the universe since it's "endless"?

But then again, i gave up on this one when i was in form two.
Its ENDLESS!
masukuma
#12 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 11:02:17 AM

murchr wrote:
masukuma wrote:
harrydre wrote:

And the universe is still expanding, just imagine how insignificant the planet earth is. I saw the picture of earth that the mars rover transmitted and just smile.
If you get time watch Stephen Hawkings documentaries on the universe, they are very informative

in the great scheme of things we are insignificant.
Impunity
#13 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 11:09:58 AM

harrydre wrote:

Ati the Earth was formed a billion years ago, who took the time then?
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

masukuma
#14 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 11:24:35 AM

Impunity wrote:
harrydre wrote:

Ati the Earth was formed a billion years ago, who took the time then?

i hope this does not turn into a religious debate as it was not the reason I shared the presentation above - kindly enjoy the universe as it is now and the scheme of things as they are now. the theories of Origin can have another thread. priss!!
YoungMulla
#15 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 12:17:12 PM

watched the presentation > MIND BLOWN!!!

Can't help but wonder:
- Are we the only planet with life forms?
- What if there are other planets with much much more superior beings than us out there?what do they even look like.
- Or.... maybe we are the most intelligent life form out there,but that just sounds like wishful thinking.
- And... @mukiri-if God created the heavens and the earth.... who created the other planets??Remember just a few centuries ago the church could not accept that the world was round let alone that we have other planets out there
Before I die - i will touch the sky!!
Muriel
#16 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 12:32:34 PM

YoungMulla wrote:

Can't help but wonder:
- What if there are other planets with much much more superior beings than us out there?what do they even look like.
- Or.... maybe we are the most intelligent life form out there,but that just sounds like wishful thinking.
- And... @mukiri-if God created the heavens and the earth.... who created the other planets??Remember just a few centuries ago the church could not accept that the world was round let alone that we have other planets out there

That question, is what Fermi also asked - aka The Fermi paradox

Quote:
The apparent size and age of the universe suggest that many technologically advanced extraterrestrial civilizations ought to exist.
However, this hypothesis seems inconsistent with the lack of observational evidence to support it.
masukuma
#17 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 2:33:08 PM

Muriel wrote:
YoungMulla wrote:

Can't help but wonder:

That question, is what Fermi also asked - aka The Fermi paradox

Quote:
The apparent size and age of the universe suggest that many technologically advanced extraterrestrial civilizations ought to exist.
However, this hypothesis seems inconsistent with the lack of observational evidence to support it.

I was postulating the same this morning and came to a conclusion that we are possibly looking at it all wrongly. Let me explain. In order for CARBON BASED LIFEFORMS LIKE US or like what is around us to exist in the way we exist we need to have a planet revolving around a star somewhere in a circumstellar habitable zone aka the goldilocks zone i.e. where its neither too hot or too cold. Water has to be liquid and thus given a few billion years its plausible that life can find its way. HOWEVER! who said that 'life' has to be carbon based?

who says that 'life' must require liquid water? the very base of life here is genetic (dna, rna) complex combinations of hydrogen, carbon, oxygen, nitrogen and phosphorus. who says that its not possible to have a different type of 'dna' that constitutes of different things? perhaps there is life elsewhere - not carbon based life forms. its possible that their goldilocks region is where nitogen is liquid or methene is liquid or some other thing. we could have some other kind of life form a silicon based life form, a germanium based life form.
secondly, just because the billions of years of evolution created sentient lifeform like us - who says that redoing the same elsewhere would give the same? during the Hadean period - life was created and destoryed over and over again. if one of those cycles would have survived would it have ended up being as we know it?

remember evolution is about survival (ask the crocs). but lets say it does but like in our case - what would have happened if that rock from space would not have hit the yucatan peninsula when it did? mammals would not have had a chance!! do those planets that have possibility of carbon based lifeforms existing have a chance to be left alone to mature for years unabated? in our case Jupiter is our big brother - its gravitational pull saves us from many rocks that would cause extinction level events over and over and over again. considering it took possibly some 10 million years for the biomass to recover and bounce back. it has happened at least 5 times in our past with great spacing in between each of them. probability has it that there could be life forms out there that were fortunate or unfortunate to face the same level of tragedy our home planet suffered and thrived and had intelligence and discovered E=M(C.C) and destroyed themselves. the possibility are endless... the other day i was walking up stairs and looked at my legs almost on autopilot and i asked myself - do we all have to be quadpods? its possible that we can have complex carbon based lifeforms that are not quadpod or not even pods at all. Who says that other lifeforms will have an alimentary canal and thus a mouth? or even a brain? again the possibilities are endless - the fact that we are here now and using our intelligence to communicate with each other is a colossal miracle. we are the product of a phenomenal gigantic crapshoot that had everything working out right for us to be here as we are.
masukuma
#18 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 2:41:35 PM

check up the meaning of the term 'sentience quotient'. human beings are SQ13. the reason we may have never made contact with others is because they may be too high on SQ and are not interested in us at all. in much the same way you would not try and make contact with a planet full of plants

Robert A. Freitas Jr wrote:
At present, human scientists are attempting to communicate outside our species to primates and cetaceans, and in a limited way to a few other vertebrates. This is inordinately difficult, and yet it represents a gap of at most a few SQ points. The farthest we can reach in our "communication" with vegetation is when we plant, water, or fertilize it, but it is evident that messages transmitted across an SQ gap of 10 points or more cannot be very meaningful. What, then, could an SQ +50 Superbeing possibly have to say to us?
YoungMulla
#19 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 3:58:33 PM

@masukuma , very informative stuff there, I had no idea about SQ. We just could be the least intelligent of of intelligent life forms in the universe. And if that was the case then just imagine how technologically advanced the other beings could be???
Before I die - i will touch the sky!!
Muriel
#20 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 4:58:58 PM

masukuma wrote:
check up the meaning of the term 'sentience quotient'. human beings are SQ13. the reason we may have never made contact with others is because they may be to high on SQ and are not interested in us at all. in much the same way you would not try and make contact with a planet full of plants

Robert A. Freitas Jr wrote:
At present, human scientists are attempting to communicate outside our species to primates and cetaceans, and in a limited way to a few other vertebrates. This is inordinately difficult, and yet it represents a gap of at most a few SQ points. The farthest we can reach in our "communication" with vegetation is when we plant, water, or fertilize it, but it is evident that messages transmitted across an SQ gap of 10 points or more cannot be very meaningful. What, then, could an SQ +50 Superbeing possibly have to say to us?

I agree, somewhat.

I am sure there are other 'heavenly' intelligences out there. In far better conditions than we are. With higher mental abilities and capacities. Unimaginable to the human mind.

Earth, or solar system, is in sort of a 'quarantine'. Lock-down.

That's for sure.