wazua Wed, Apr 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
What is it with foreign /expatriates managers
kiash
#1 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2014 11:36:54 AM

As long as I can remember, I have seen several companies replacing the Kenyan managers with the foreign expats in Kenyan firms. However I do not know how they rate. There was SABMiller who left after, and then I remember EABL with Mahinda and then he left, a Nigerian took over and now I guess it’s a jungu. Then came Telkom Kenya /Orange where I read about some French taking over managerial positions held by Kenyans. There is also KQ who are fond of the same and of late there has been Equity bank who apparently preferred Diaspora Kenyans to foreigners. They seem to have changed.
How can you rate these expats managers on the local market? Can they deliver?
Swenani
#2 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2014 1:41:21 PM

kiash wrote:
As long as I can remember, I have seen several companies replacing the Kenyan managers with the foreign expats in Kenyan firms. However I do not know how they rate. There was SABMiller who left after, and then I remember EABL with Mahinda and then he left, a Nigerian took over and now I guess it’s a jungu. Then came Telkom Kenya /Orange where I read about some French taking over managerial positions held by Kenyans. There is also KQ who are fond of the same and of late there has been Equity bank who apparently preferred Diaspora Kenyans to foreigners. They seem to have changed.

All corporates exploit the public hence its commonsense that you should not have one of the public(read local) to leadership positions to oversee the exploitation.
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
Buster
#3 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2014 1:56:58 PM

Swenani wrote:
kiash wrote:

All corporates exploit the public hence its commonsense that you should not have one of the public(read local) to leadership positions to oversee the exploitation.

Word.
mukiha
#4 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2014 2:20:35 PM

Despite all your qualifications and wealth of experience, if we don't trust you, we'll not let you run our company.

It's that simple!

Not so long ago, all major foreign companies in this country were ran by foreigners from their home countries.

BTW; why did you forget the Green Giant?
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
muganda
#5 Posted : Monday, June 20, 2016 2:50:12 PM

Is it getting tricky for Expats in Kenya? At least in NGOs

omhangla
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2016 6:36:54 AM

Hapa I know many NGOs that will be in the read.
kaka2za
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2016 9:16:28 AM

This could backfire big time!
Kenya is the source of most of the NGO expatriates in this region followed by Ethiopia.

If you live in a glass house,dont throw stones.
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)
Thiong'o
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2016 10:28:59 AM

kaka2za wrote:
Kenya is the source of most of the NGO expatriates in this region followed by Ethiopia.

True! This will go the South Sudan way and you can see how the international media has picked it!
Kenya launches crackdown on foreign charity workers http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-36587518
Swenani
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2016 11:14:01 AM

Thiong'o wrote:
kaka2za wrote:

True! This will go the South Sudan way and you can see how the international media has picked it!
Kenya launches crackdown on foreign charity workers http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-36587518

From my pedestrian view, I think the gaarment is doing the right thing
1. No expats are being chased,only asked to justify their continued stay here
2. The hiring organization should justify/prove that there is no available local skill
3. There should be skill transfer
4.The pay should be equitable.

What's wrong with the above, This is what any sensible gaarment should be doing....protecting jobs for locals
Thiong'o
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2016 12:50:06 PM

Swenani wrote:
Thiong'o wrote:
kaka2za wrote:

From my pedestrian view, I think the gaarment is doing the right thing
1. No expats are being chased,only asked to justify their continued stay here
2. The hiring organization should justify/prove that there is no available local skill
3. There should be skill transfer
4.The pay should be equitable.

What's wrong with the above, This is what any sensible gaarment should be doing....protecting jobs for locals

There’s nothing wrong with the circular, but my point is that the implementation and/or discussion on same will most likely generate more heat than light like in the scenario below:

http://wazua.co.ke/forum.aspx?g=posts&t=30380
https://radiotamazuj.org...kers-amid-hunger-crisis
streetwise
#11 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2016 1:15:43 PM

This is what the Bre-exits are saying, and similary Kenya needs to take control and stop importing shopkeeper expatriates.

kaka2za
#12 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2016 2:15:36 PM

streetwise wrote:
This is what the Bre-exits are saying, and similary Kenya needs to take control and stop importing shopkeeper expatriates.

We are trying to punch above our weight.

Those conversant with NGO politics know that it goes beyond qualifications.
Donors are from the west and they dont trust us. Chances of funding increase when the key staff listed in the proposal have names and nationalities they can trust.
(James Russell Rowell)
Obi 1 Kanobi
#13 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2016 2:24:26 PM

They need to start with those Wahindi companies, they are full of indian accountants who can't even communicate in English properly
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
Swenani
#14 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2016 4:03:35 PM

kaka2za wrote:
streetwise wrote:

Donors are from the west and they dont trust us. Chances of funding increase when the key staff listed in the proposal have names and nationalities they can trust.

Phuck them with their money.....we are sovereignsmile smile smile smile smile
Othelo
#15 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2016 4:12:08 PM

Swenani wrote:
kaka2za wrote:
streetwise wrote:

Sovereign Kenyans and looking Chinese smile smile smile
Formal education will make you a living. Self-education will make you a fortune - Jim Rohn.
MaichBlack
#16 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 9:30:43 AM

streetwise wrote:

Wachana na watu wa Brexit!!! Ni kelele tu wako nayo. Britons go to countries like Germany and get University Education absolutely free while in their country they pay through the nose, they go to countries like Spain and get top notch medical care free of charge, they freely move and work all over EU, Companies have set up in Britain because they know they can freely move products all over EU etc.

It is give and take. They (The leave group) are bahaving like it is all give and no take!

If they leave, they will regret. Let's wait for the results later today. I doubt they will leave.

This interests me because it affects even Kenya because of the various trade deals with EU and Britain!
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
kaka2za
#17 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 9:34:19 AM

Swenani wrote:
kaka2za wrote:
streetwise wrote:

Sovereign my foot!
PORK has been all over the West with the bowl on hand.
We even needed expats to resolve the IEBC issue
(James Russell Rowell)
omhangla
#18 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 11:45:57 AM

those that will be hit hard by this are the high end real estate. fewer expatriates means no tenants for those expensive houses
streetwise
#19 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 12:00:42 PM

Let’s clean the books and remove the carpenter and shopkeeper expatriates unless one high end expatriate comes with two of his low end brothers
Thiong'o
#20 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 12:43:47 PM

streetwise wrote:
Let’s clean the books and remove the carpenter and shopkeeper expatriates unless one high end expatriate comes with two of his low end brothers

These regulations are not new, they have been there for ages.
NGO coordination act 1990, 1992