wazua Sun, May 5, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

17 Pages«<89101112>»
Nairobi Rains
hardwood
#181 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2018 8:01:24 PM

murchr wrote:
hardwood wrote:
Meanwhile the city fathers have allowed nairobians to harvest rain water even though its illegal as per the law. I never knew it was illegal to collect rainwater.

The reasoning behind it was , the water collected was breeding mosquitos. Nairobi Central Business District Association (NCBDA) has been lobbying Kanju to change that bylaw since 2009 but nothing. There's nothing like allowing people to break the law, they just need to get rid of the law of modify it to fit the times.

They said the reason for ban was coz of asbestos roofing coz asbestos is toxic. That the law was enacted when asbestos was roofing of choice. Question is are current roofing materials safe?
murchr
#182 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2018 8:45:20 PM

hardwood wrote:
murchr wrote:
hardwood wrote:
Meanwhile the city fathers have allowed nairobians to harvest rain water even though its illegal as per the law. I never knew it was illegal to collect rainwater.

The reasoning behind it was , the water collected was breeding mosquitos. Nairobi Central Business District Association (NCBDA) has been lobbying Kanju to change that bylaw since 2009 but nothing. There's nothing like allowing people to break the law, they just need to get rid of the law of modify it to fit the times.

They said the reason for ban was coz of asbestos roofing coz asbestos is toxic. That the law was enacted when asbestos was roofing of choice. Question is are current roofing materials safe?

Not all. And I think we still have asbestos roofing around. Those old city council houses and some govt quarters are still roofed using asbestos
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
hardwood
#183 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2018 10:35:19 PM

Yaani that's the river feeding ndakaini? Theres no hope kupata maji.

kawi254
#184 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2018 10:58:28 PM

hardwood wrote:

Nolturesh water is pumped some 300Km from Loitoktok and supplies EPZ Athi-River.
Why can't GoK have a water treatment after last 7 folks dam (Kiambere?) and have a water pipeline to Nairobi? We are still relying on infrastructure mzungu left us, Ndakaini.

How comes no one is checking on Sasumua dam the other source for Nairobi Water? If Ndakaini won't fill up i am sure Nairobi boreholes are filling up.
hardwood
#185 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2018 11:01:46 PM

Hehe. Have just seen that "serikali saidia" woman on TV appealing to ohuru for help. I thought she earned some good cash from safaricom adverts, and was even made an ambassador of some course?

murchr
#186 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2018 11:08:02 PM

kawi254 wrote:
hardwood wrote:

Nolturesh water is pumped some 300Km from Loitoktok and supplies EPZ Athi-River.
Why can't GoK have a water treatment after last 7 folks dam (Kiambere?) and have a water pipeline to Nairobi? We are still relying on infrastructure mzungu left us, Ndakaini.

How comes no one is checking on Sasumua dam the other source for Nairobi Water? If Ndakaini won't fill up i am sure Nairobi boreholes are filling up.

Nolturesh water never dries up and the infrastructure is still the same, infact with more capacity it can supply a whole larger area. Just read that Masinga, Kamburu, Gitaru, Kandaruma and Kiambere are not filled up yet.

Nairobi should have its own dam. Somewhere b4 ruai drain all water frm the city then clean it for consumption. The water from the dams can be used in the towns that these dams are located.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Fyatu
#187 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2018 9:19:55 AM

murchr wrote:
hardwood wrote:
murchr wrote:
hardwood wrote:

Not all. And I think we still have asbestos roofing around. Those old city council houses and some govt quarters are still roofed using asbestos

All district(now county) hospitals and all govt. dispensaries are roofed using asbestos. Goes to show how incompetent government employees including successive cabinets/governors/presidents are...
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
hardwood
#188 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2018 9:46:13 AM

Fyatu wrote:
murchr wrote:
hardwood wrote:
murchr wrote:
hardwood wrote:

All district(now county) hospitals and all govt. dispensaries are roofed using asbestos. Goes to show how incompetent government employees including successive cabinets/governors/presidents are...

I have noticed even schools, primary and secondary have asbestos roofs. I hope students don't collect rainwater from such roofs.
wukan
#189 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2018 10:18:49 AM

kawi254 wrote:
hardwood wrote:

Ndakaini is a Moi era infrastructure project not a mzungu leftover. As explained to me by a water engineer, Ndakaini is what is called a highland dam-it's supposed to get water through out the year from the rivers near the source to avoid pollution. It's not a dam that taps flood waters into a reservoir. The Ndakaini catchment area is like the sponge it gets destroyed then the sponge effect is not there.

I don't think I would want to live in city supplied with water from downstream like Ruai-too much heavy metals pollution.
kawi254
#190 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2018 11:49:39 AM

wukan wrote:
kawi254 wrote:
hardwood wrote:

Ndakaini is a Moi era infrastructure project not a mzungu leftover. As explained to me by a water engineer, Ndakaini is what is called a highland dam-it's supposed to get water through out the year from the rivers near the source to avoid pollution. It's not a dam that taps flood waters into a reservoir. The Ndakaini catchment area is like the sponge it gets destroyed then the sponge effect is not there.

I don't think I would want to live in city supplied with water from downstream like Ruai-too much heavy metals pollution.

Yes, hence reason i mentioned alternate supply for Nairobi water downstream Kiambere dam (Tana River not polluted by Nairobi sewage/factories effluent).

A lot of Nairobi vegetables grown on banks of polluted Athi River so next time you bite into that juicy water melon think about it.
obiero
#191 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2018 12:18:50 PM

kawi254 wrote:
wukan wrote:
kawi254 wrote:
hardwood wrote:

Yes, hence reason i mentioned alternate supply for Nairobi water downstream Kiambere dam (Tana River not polluted by Nairobi sewage/factories effluent).

A lot of Nairobi vegetables grown on banks of polluted Athi River so next time you bite into that juicy water melon think about it.

Sasa tutajuaje hii chakula inatoka wapi na huwa tunaipata tu kwa meza.. Its chilling though, the thought that we could be consuming hazardous chemicals, metals and other trash

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
murchr
#192 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2018 1:49:58 PM

You are already consuming that heavy metal. The only solution is to embrace science
murchr
#193 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2018 4:20:32 PM

If you have plans to be at the coast there is your warning.

Its raining bad in Tanzania as they are right at the intertropical convergence zone, but the met department there is doing very well in informing the public.
hardwood
#194 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2018 8:53:12 PM

The river never forgets it's route. They grabbed riparian reserves and built ukay and westgate. Infact the parking of those 2 malls is right above the river. Choices have consequences.

obiero
#195 Posted : Saturday, April 28, 2018 10:12:14 AM

hardwood wrote:
The river never forgets it's route. They grabbed riparian reserves and built ukay and westgate. Infact the parking of those 2 malls is right above the river. Choices have consequences.

Shida tupu

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
masukuma
#196 Posted : Saturday, April 28, 2018 2:00:35 PM

hardwood wrote:

Sure.... they will come and go! until next time!
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
murchr
#197 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2018 8:10:30 PM

Seems like we are going to be dry in a few days. For those who will continue till June...goodluck, but for Nairobians its time to take stock and prepare for November. *****Possible Elnino weather by end of Aug according to NOAA (53% chance)*****

Angelica _ann
#198 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2018 8:45:06 PM

murchr wrote:
Seems like we are going to be dry in a few days. For those who will continue till June...goodluck, but for Nairobians its time to take stock and prepare for November. *****Possible Elnino weather by end of Aug according to NOAA (53% chance)*****

That is good.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
kawi254
#199 Posted : Monday, May 07, 2018 9:40:55 AM

National Tree Planting day is on Sat 12th May 2018 a full 2 months after continuous rains. If the rains cease this May as per @KenyaMetService prediction these trees will dry up. Better planning could have had the tree planting at the beginning of rains.

chiaroscuro
#200 Posted : Monday, May 07, 2018 10:28:19 AM

hardwood wrote:
Hehe. Have just seen that "serikali saidia" woman on TV appealing to ohuru for help. I thought she earned some good cash from safaricom adverts, and was even made an ambassador of some course?

I think it was stage-managed
If I'm right, then this is shameful of Citizen TV!