wazua Sat, Apr 27, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages123>»
Personal Pension Plan
leona
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2009 7:58:00 AM

Hi guys

Am looking for a wide variety of options for a personal pension plan before making an informed decision on which one to settle for.

What are the best options we have around?

Pros and cons of the above options?

I will greatly appreciate your contributions

Thanks in advance

Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't..
Nevermind what haters say, ignore them til they fade away - Just live your life
leona
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2009 8:43:00 AM

So far,i've had a look at the Zimele and CFC websites...they dont say much,though they have this plans,anyone using either of the two?

winner
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2009 10:01:00 AM

for more information on a good personal pension plan,contact me on winnerkariuki@gmail.com.

winners never quit and quiters never win
tony stark
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2009 11:23:00 AM

@ leona,
I personally have the same problem. I started with the RBA website and went through there list of approved managers http://www.rba.go.ke/page.asp?id=629
Then i google randomly.
To say the least all the insurance companies give very little information on their website went through list of there websites http://www.akinsure.com/....asp?active_page_id=232
And i cannot rely on agents the like of winner who are out to win a commission from me. I have nothing wrong with agents but i find that they are usually deficient in information,and when all is said and done they will push you into some unit linked insurance scheme and not a personal pension plan.
@ winner,if you have the information give it then we shall flock to you!!

Can someone who has gone through the process help with information. What does your benefit invest in! When can i access the money. IF i start saving early will my rate be lower. How do i get my taxes on the PAYE.

SK A.L.U.M.N.I (Alcoholic Liason and Undergarments Manager of Nakedness Internationally)
leona
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2009 12:52:00 PM

@Tony stark
Phew! at last somebody shares my frustration! I have googled all those websites only to be met with the scantiest of info ever. makes me wonder why they have the sites in the fist place! i was hoping i'll get real time info from personal experiences here on Sk..but its proving to be unfruitful,i guess most guys dont have personal pension schemes,or dont understand the ones they have:)

@Winner
Kindly share some of the info you have here...and if we're convinced or interested,we'll definately contact you. I would like every person who's stuck with making this decision to benefit right here on the forum. I dont mind agents...as long as they are informed enough to convince me about whatever they're selling. Over to you now @winner...and any other agent in the house...

winner
#6 Posted : Monday, May 04, 2009 9:42:00 AM

Hi,
I work with Britak (BRITISH AMERICAN INS),which is one of the best companies licensed by RBA to provide personal pension plans.You make monthly contributions that BRITAK invests through BRITISH AMERICAN ASSET MANAGERS (BAAM).

Investment avenues include the NSE,off-shore markets and large scale real-estate.The term of investment is dependent on your desired retirement age subject to a minimum of 10yrs.However,we recommend longer term e.g 15yrs to enjoy superior returns gained from the power of compounding.e.g a person,33yrs old,saving ksh 15000 gets a lumpsum of ksh7.5M if the annual rate of return is 15%.

The returns are guaranteed to be at least the invested premiums with a min. return of 2%.This means that even if the receesion existed throughout the investment period or even to the worst we went to war thus afecting returns,you can never lose your money.

You can choose to escalate your contributions annually at e.g 5% or make irregular ad-hoc lumpsums,min ksh5000,which helps beat inflation.

The investment is also attached with protection benefits e.g

life cover e.g 1M,5m,10m. This is a lumpsum paid to your next of kin within 48hrs maximum in case your powers of working are taken away thru death.(God forbid)
waiver of premium on death and disability-If one becomes disabled thru a sickness or thru an accident,all future monthly contributions are waived and the cover continues free of charge.This guarantees you of the reality of your drea retirement irrespective of change in circumstances of life or ill-health.

TAX RELIEF
Upon signing up,we issue you with a contract after max 1month,and a tax certicate that entitles you to 15%tax relief.

You enjoy the relief direct on your payslip by reducing the monthly charges of PAYE and
if in business,you attach the certicate while remitting your annual tax returns and only payment above the 15% relief is remited to KRA.

The tax relief is an incentive from the govt to encourage people adopt a saving culture.

NB
At the end of the term,you can choose to withdraw the entire lumpsum or have the lumpsum ivvested without making additional payments and you receive a monthly income for your dream retirement.

I hope this information will be helpful.please do not hesitate to contact me for further clarification at winnerkariuki@gmail.com.

Layman
#7 Posted : Monday, May 04, 2009 11:29:00 AM

winner,what you have described here is not a personal pension plan. Stop displaying your agency skills here

The future is already here!
winner
#8 Posted : Monday, May 04, 2009 12:05:00 PM

@layman,

thanx for ur view.however,i think the purpose of this site is information,or as the wise say,KNOWLEDGE IS POWER.If you've got knowledge on a different package,just let us know .

leona
#9 Posted : Monday, May 04, 2009 12:25:00 PM

@Layman

Dont just criticize,give options...the aim of this thread is to help guys make informed decisions.

@Winner

What's the least monthly contruibution one can make at Britak?

winner
#10 Posted : Monday, May 04, 2009 12:59:00 PM

@leona,

Hi,

minimum monthly contribution at Britak is ksh5000.This can however be increased or reduced (to a minimum of ksh2500 )in case business went low or employment circumstances changed e.g retrenchement.

In case one's financial circumstances changed and they can't afford to remit the monthly contributions,one can stop further payment and leave the invested amount to grow till maturity or even withdraw.this however is subject to a minimum period of 2yrs.

leona
#11 Posted : Monday, May 04, 2009 1:14:00 PM

Many thanks Winner for all the info shared. I will drop you an email in case i have further inquiries or if i wish to pursue this further

tony stark
#12 Posted : Monday, May 04, 2009 2:04:00 PM

@ leona. As i said all you get is insurance agents advicing on unit trust linked product .... not pension plans. We shall continue in the dark!!
@ winner
A pension plan is payable on retirement as a lump sum or some other defined payout.
This 15 year business imetoka wapi??
Please assist with information on pension plans. You can visit that department that actually deals with pensions,tomorrow or whenever you are back in the office claiming your commisions,ask a few questions and come tell us about it. You will have saved alot of us alot of time and you will have won a client or two!! Think about it dont churn out the unit linked propaganda get us the info,please!!
@layman i agree this is not a pension plan!!!

SK A.L.U.M.N.I (Alcoholic Liason and Undergarments Manager of Nakedness Internationally)
Gordon Gekko
#13 Posted : Monday, May 04, 2009 3:31:00 PM

@tony,I'm with you on this one. A pension plan has no time limit. It also doesn't require regular monthly payments,though it is advisable to pay monthly. As far as I know,Zimele comes closest to a pure pension plan. You pay when you want,what you want.
winner
#14 Posted : Monday, May 04, 2009 6:48:00 PM

@tonystark

Hi,

Britak has several personal pension plan packages tailored to meet each client's need.According to my analysis,the package i've described here is indeed the best personal pension plan we have so far 'coz of it's flexibility,optional protection benefits combined with it's superior returns.

The 15yr term was just an example.I actually indicated that this is determined by one's current age and desired retirement age e.g one person may plan to retire at 45yrs another at 60yrs.coz it's a PERSONAL PENSION plan,the retirement age is ONLY DETERMINED by the client not the govt or any other party.

In my view,there seems to be certain specifications that u r looking for to qualify a package as a personal pension plan.Just highlight them for me and i'll be grateful to give you more info.As i said earlier,Britak has different pension packages tailored with the understanding that different people have different needs and tastes.

Gordon Gekko
#15 Posted : Tuesday, May 05, 2009 4:10:00 AM

@winner,please stop misleading us. RBA has very clearly stated the retirement age,so how does one retire at 45? If you want to access your pension before retirement age,and I quote from their website 'Benefits paid out before retirement age are subject to punitive taxation
rates (30%) compared to those applicable to benefits paid at retirement' Circumstances where early payment can be made are also defined i.e. retrenchment,medical.
winner
#16 Posted : Tuesday, May 05, 2009 6:14:00 AM

@Gordon Gekko

Hi,

I think it's only prudent of any organisation to TAILOR products that are competitive and suit their target market.

As times are changing,most people plan to retire early and honorably.(retirement=stop working for money),and instead have the money they have earned\saved,work for them as they have time to e.g play golf and enjoy other luxuries of life with their families,that their busy working schedules may have denied them.This is with the understanding that life is not a rehearsal,you only live it once.

Those in this target market do not wish that anyone dictates to them when to retire.

Infact,one can even retire at thirty or thirty five if one PLANS to do so and committedly follow their laid down plan.

In order for one to send their money to work without being physically involved,one needs time to THINK,thus the need to ''RETIRE EARLY FROM PHYSICAL LABOUR'.

The particular PERSONAL PENSION PLAN i've illustrated here is tailored for this target market.

Britak has tailored for another target market,a personal pension package with the specifications you gave e.g retirement age specified and defined benefits.I'll be giving info on it soon.

At the end of any undertaking,the bottomline is ROI.

winner
#17 Posted : Tuesday, May 05, 2009 6:21:00 AM

ROI (return on investment)

winner
#18 Posted : Tuesday, May 05, 2009 7:17:00 AM

RETIREMENT BENEFITS SCHEMES: A COMPARISON OF THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS

- A Guaranteed Umbrella Pension/Provident fund

- A Guaranteed Stand Alone Pension/Provident Fund

- A Guaranteed Individual Pension Fund

Umbrella Pension / Provident Fund

Stand Alone Pension/ Provident Fund

Individual Pension Fund

Target Market

Small & Medium Organizations

Medium and large organizations

Individuals and small organizations

Key

Benefits

- Reduction in tax liability

by employee & employer

- Interest income not

taxed

- Compound interest

allocation

- Guaranteed interest rate

- Accrued contributions &

interest guaranteed

- A secure income in

retirement

- A lump sum fund before

retirement

- generous tax exemption

on payable benefits

- boosts employee morale

- Other optional insurance

rider benefits e.g. last

expense,group life,

GPA,medical etc

by employee & employer

- Interest income not

taxed

- Compound interest

allocation

interest guaranteed

- A secure income in

retirement

- A lump sum fund before

retirement

- Generous tax exemption

on payable benefits

- boosts employee morale

rider benefits e.g. last

expense,group life,

GPA,medical etc

by policy holder

- Interest income not

taxed

- Compound interest

allocation

interest guaranteed

- A secure income in

retirement

- A lump sum fund before

retirement

- generous tax exemption

on payable benefits

rider benefits e.g. last

expense,group life,

GPA,medical etc

Scheme set up

Employer:

- Signs a Deed of

Adherence to the Umbrella

Trust Deed

- Decides the contribution

rate by employee /

employer,the rule

governing entitlement to

employer benefits,normal

retirement age and

whether pension or

provident fund

Employer:

- Draws & executes a Trust

Deed & Rules (assisted by

Britak)

- Decides the contribution

rate by employee /

employer,the rule

governing entitlement to

employer benefits,normal

retirement age and

whether pension or

provident fund

The Individual Applicant

- joins the scheme simply

by completing an

enrolment and a

beneficiary nomination

form

- Decides the monthly

contribution amount

(minimum:

Kshs.5,000.00) and

normal retirement age

Individual Pension Fund

Registration status with KRA & RBA

The Umbrella Fund is already registered with KRA & RBA,each participating employer joins by simply executing a Deed of Adherence

The scheme has to be registered independently with both KRA & RBA in order to enjoy the privileges of a registered scheme

The Fund is already registered with both KRA & RBA. You join simply by completing an enrolment form

Trusteeship

British-American Insurance provides the trusteeship service. Trustees must meet once every quarter

Employer and employees nominate the trustees at a 50/50 split,a minimum of 4 trustees are required. Trustees must meet once every quarter.

British-American Insurance provides the trusteeship service. Trustees must meet once every quarter

Vesting Rule

- Employees are entitled to

own contributions 100%

always

employer contribution 100%

from the second year of

membership. Before one

year,the employer decides

the level of entitlement.

own contributions 100%

always

employer contribution

100% from the second year of membership. Before one year,employer decides the level of entitlement.

The policy holder is entitled to all the contributions 100% at all times.

Guarantee on Contributions and interest rate

- Accumulated contributions and interest are guaranteed against reduction throughout.

- Annual interest rate is guaranteed not to fall below 5%.

- Accumulated contributions and interest are guaranteed against reduction throughout.

History of Net Interest Rates

2003 – 10.00%

2004 – 07.50%

2005 – 10.25%

2006 – 18.00%

2003 – 10.00%

2004 – 07.50%

2005 – 10.25%

2006 – 18.00%

2003 – 10.00%

2004 – 07.50%

2005 – 10.25%

2006 – 18.00%

2007 -10.50%

Annual Fund Statement

- Each member gets a personal annual statement.

- The employer gets a consolidated fund statement

- Each member gets a personal annual statement.

- The employer gets a consolidated fund statement

Each Policy Holder gets a personalized annual statement.

Running Costs

(note; Administration fee is free in the first year)

- Administration fee: 3% of

annual contributions,

charged against interest at

the end of the year

- Fund management /

investment fee: 0.125% of

fund balance at year end

- Administration fee: 3% of

annual contributions,

charged against interest

at the end of the year

- Fund management /

investment fee: 0.125% of

fund balance at year end

- Administration fee: 3%

of annual contributions,

charged against interest

at the end of the year

- Fund management /

investment fee: 0.125%

of fund balance at year

end

Individual Pension Fund

Running Costs Continued…

- R.B.A Levy: 0.2% of the

net annual fund at year end

- Audit Fee: Participating

schemes share the annual

audit cost equally,about

Kshs. 2,000.00 per year.

- R.B.A Levy: 0.2% of the

net annual fund at year

end

- Audit Fee: about

Kshs. 30,000.00 per year.

- R.B.A Levy: 0.2% of

the net annual fund at

year end

- Audit Fee: Participating

policyholders share the annual audit cost equally,about Kshs.2,00.00 per year.

Annual Members meeting

Arranged by British-American for members

Arranged by the Trustees for all members

Arranged by British – American for policy holders.

Other optional Insurance rider benefits

Group Life,GPA,Medical,Last Expense and General Insurance for the organization

Group Life,GPA,Medical,Last Expense and General Insurance for the organization

Life Policies,Unit trust,Home Insurance,Personal Accident Cover and Mortgage Protection

For further details,please contact

winnerkariuki@gmail.com

half_empty
#19 Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2009 4:41:00 PM

Income of <6% from my former employers SRBS (kengen PIBO is two times better)

Can i migrate to a personal pension plan? @winner/anyone
mukiha
#20 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2009 11:48:00 AM

First; if you are only an Individual Pension (IPP) Scheme,there is no mandatory retirement age. You decide for yourself at the time of joining...it can 80yrs or 40yrs or anything that suits YOU.

Second,returns from pensions schemes are nothing to write home about; you will be lucky to get above 10%pa. However,don't forget the tax exemption benefit....but you lose it if you withdraw the money before your declared retirement age.

@Leona; I used to have an IPP at CFC Life; one nice afternoon I passed by there to find out why they hadn't been sending me satements for three years. I found out that the scheme had been earning about 6% during the 3yr period!

I closed the account immediately and withdrew ALL the cash....veterans will remember my thread about 'a million bob sitting in a dormant pension account'

In short...CFC Life is not very good...administratively and in terms of returns.

My wife has an IPP at ICEA; returns are quite good (compared with the joke at CFC) and they keep her informed regularly.

A final word on IPPs: treat them like ordinary pensions for employed people. Don't put more that abou 5% of your gross income...remember,NSSF take only abour 400bob!!

A pension is NOT you main investment scheme.

Behind the gardens...Behind the wall...Under the tree (Including: Red...Dark Blue...Yellow)
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.