Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages<12
Bitange Ndemo - reflections
Swenani
#21 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2014 12:06:11 PM

murchr
#22 Posted : Sunday, October 05, 2014 4:33:24 AM

Ndemo wrote:
A distinguished economist, Dr Ndii tends to think that economic growth will always be linear. And that economic growth trajectory can be used to predict other aspects of the economy because each aspect is either a constant or the product of a constant and a single variable.

I totally agree with Ndemo's sentiments This is the kind of article that would have @alma out of his cave
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
murchr
#23 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2015 5:49:02 AM

sitaki.kujulikana
#24 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2015 3:54:38 PM

Quote:

Ethiopian leaders are not shooting themselves in the foot. They are thinking about their poor people, not just about lining their pockets. They appear to understand that the fate of all Ethiopians is inextricably intertwined – the fate of leaders and the led.

Sadly, this does not appear to be the case in Kenya. Until we put our national interests ahead of our own selfishness, we may never get near where Ethiopia has reached.

Our preoccupation with land is our undoing. The pride that Kenya is the largest economy in the region is fading fast. It is not the size of the economy that matters but rather how many of our people are escaping poverty and are benefitting from this size.
murchr
#25 Posted : Monday, June 20, 2016 10:32:29 PM

Ndemo wrote:
In developed countries, 57 per cent of existing jobs are destined for the history books as digital and robotic automation removes them from the payroll.

In developing countries like Kenya and Ethiopia, close to 85 per cent of jobs can be automated, ushering an early settling in of what has been called "premature de-industrialisation".

In some developing and emerging countries, factories are vacating industrial parks in large numbers even as new industrial parks are being put up.

This is no theoretical conjecture as it is happening right now, leading to speculation that, as the Financial Times put it, "China may be one of the last nations to ride the wave of industrialisation to prosperity".

These developments are compelling reasons to rethink our industrial policies.

http://www.nation.co.ke/...t/-/tqc4qiz/-/index.html
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
enyands
#26 Posted : Monday, June 20, 2016 11:25:04 PM

Ryko
#27 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 10:11:26 AM

Realities of the 40's, 50's by Ndemo

1. Every company I started collapsed. I tried to set up a consultancy company but it failed miserably.

2. Also, if I wanted to make money I should not have gone for a PhD.

3.Another mistake was when we were buying vehicles duty free.

4. I would rather have stuck with my VW and built investments. You need to take risks when you are young.

5. Yet another mistake was buying land in Runda. It was Sh700,000 a piece at that time.

6. I started building a house on it and then did not have money to finish it. Yet if I had spent Sh2 million to buy four pieces and waited, I would have sold one and built easily and still had more land left over.

7.I also tied myself into a mortgage that I am still under. Land is a finite resource whose price will only go up. If I had done things right, by the time I hit my 40s, I would have been smiling.

https://www.standardmedi...many-mistakes-but-i-did
I work so I can afford the amount of alcohol required to continue going to work
hardwood
#28 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 11:37:29 AM

^^^

He also has important lessons regarding owning a home. Build/buy a home where you currently live/work and avoid mortgages....

Ndemo wrote:
Kisiis believe you must build a house in the village. I did. And that was a mistake on my part. I should have found shelter where I lived in Nairobi. The money I got in the US was sufficient to buy something in Kileleshwa but instead, I was paying rent here in Nairobi with a home upcountry. Younger people should learn from this. Take care of where you are at the moment and the rest you can do later.

I also tied myself into a mortgage that I am still under.
sparkly
#29 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 1:34:44 PM

Ryko wrote:
Realities of the 40's, 50's by Ndemo

1. Every company I started collapsed. I tried to set up a consultancy company but it failed miserably.

2. Also, if I wanted to make money I should not have gone for a PhD.

3.Another mistake was when we were buying vehicles duty free.

4. I would rather have stuck with my VW and built investments. You need to take risks when you are young.

5. Yet another mistake was buying land in Runda. It was Sh700,000 a piece at that time.

6. I started building a house on it and then did not have money to finish it. Yet if I had spent Sh2 million to buy four pieces and waited, I would have sold one and built easily and still had more land left over.

7.I also tied myself into a mortgage that I am still under. Land is a finite resource whose price will only go up. If I had done things right, by the time I hit my 40s, I would have been smiling.

https://www.standardmedi...many-mistakes-but-i-did

Dr. Ndemo speaks like a person who doesnt set personal goals. Too many regrets in his life even after he made it to position of PS 15 years ago.
Life is short. Live passionately.
tycho
#30 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 2:37:09 PM

Certainly, Dr. Ndemo is a mass man. He is talking of tuburoti like everyone else and even regrets his PhD.

And when you look at the history of philosophy you get the feeling that the quality and vigor of thought has lowered considerably.

Maybe climate degradation is linked to the collapse of philosophy.
hardwood
#31 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 3:05:18 PM

tycho wrote:
Certainly, Dr. Ndemo is a mass man. He is talking of tuburoti like everyone else and even regrets his PhD.

And when you look at the history of philosophy you get the feeling that the quality and vigor of thought has lowered considerably.

As an academic and a business professor at that, he should be writing books, policy papers and doing consultancy, and making his millions. Not competing with mugundaman huko dustbowl.
wukan
#32 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 4:07:43 PM

hardwood wrote:
tycho wrote:

As an academic and a business professor at that, he should be writing books, policy papers and doing consultancy, and making his millions. Not competing with mugundaman huko dustbowl.

He tried consultancy and failed miserably. You will not make daily bread leave alone the millions with books and policy papers unless you have some friends in govt who keep giving useless consultancies and you give them a cut.
tycho
#33 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 4:49:19 PM

wukan wrote:
hardwood wrote:
tycho wrote:

He tried consultancy and failed miserably. You will not make daily bread leave alone the millions with books and policy papers unless you have some friends in govt who keep giving useless consultancies and you give them a cut.

I don't want to commit myself to the acquisition of millions. As you can see from his submission, one doesn't need to seek the highest levels of knowledge in order to get millions.

The question is why should one seek the highest levels of knowledge?

If the answer isn't 'to be the sun', then all is lost.
sparkly
#34 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2019 10:50:27 AM

hardwood wrote:
tycho wrote:

Spoken like 10 Senior elders. The problem with most people is that they want to do everything... Be businessmen, academics, industrialists, politicians, corporate managers, pastors, civil servants, tenderprenuers and be succesful in all of them. It is not possible. You need to decide how you will make your money and consider others pasttimes and hobbies.
Life is short. Live passionately.