wazua Fri, May 17, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Property Prices
Bashka
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2009 9:40:00 AM

Guys,currently there are predictions that property price are coming down. Knight Franc has also expressed this sentiments. The main funding in this sector is remittances from the diaspora which is falling coz of the global crisis. Is there tangible evidence? any one who is following this?
eli
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2009 3:09:00 PM

It could be true ( True that the remitances from US/ Abroad) is headed south!

But you shall remember the LORD your God,for it is He who is giving you power to make wealth,that He may confirm His covenant which He swore to your fathers,as it is this day. Deu 8:18
murenj
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2009 4:34:00 PM

Demand is slowing down on the high income end. But in the middle class demand is high. Truck loads are being ferried to kamulu weekly.

The cunning of the Buffalo
Mr.Tea
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2009 10:10:00 AM

Property prices can only come down if there is an over supply. There is no evidence to that effect. Remittances may have dwindled alright but this is not the only stimulus to growth in this sector. True there has been a slow down in the construction of highrise residential properties in the traditional locations.But slack demand,scarcity of land and steep land prices are some of the factors responsible for this. If you watch keenly there has been diversification in the sector with investment shifting towards commercial facilities.

Patience Pays in Guaranteed Checks
Patience Pays In Guaranteed Checks.
Gordon Gekko
#5 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2009 5:40:00 AM

Supply or lack of it will not affect the prices of property significantly. A glut will only reduce the profit margins for the developer,but how big a component is the profit margins?

I saw in yesterday's paper that an acre along Lenana Road is going for 120M. Assuming you put 40 units on it,the cost of land per unit is 3M. Construction costs are probably 3-4M per unit (my guess,I stand corrected). On that basis,a unit on Lenana Road will be at least 8M. Add administrative costs and are you not close current selling prices?
Mr.Tea
#6 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2009 7:46:00 AM

@Gekko,

Those are some of the factors driving up property prices and thereby stifling demand.In effect this slows down growth in that market segment.BTW in such an area you can only put up a maximum of 32 units but suitably 24 units in an acre for optimum results. Work out the selling prices per unit from that.

Patience Pays in Guaranteed Checks
Patience Pays In Guaranteed Checks.
Bashka
#7 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2009 6:16:00 AM

Note that banks are now reluctant to give out loans to risky customers with the current credit crunch. Banks are also trying to buld up their core capital. Profitability will go down in 2009. Last week some bankers were calling for a reduction in the cash reserve ratio-this will free some money. The MPC of CBK met on Friday,what was their decision? According to analysts Kenya will be affected by the 2nd round effects of global financial crisis. I just hope the property prices comes down drastically.
kingfisher
#8 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2009 3:22:00 PM

take heed....they will come down and some will sing while others will be crying.....it will be the time to collect bones for those who will be having cash,just as it is today on shares for those who have cash........this will come to pass,but if you wish to bury your head in the sand,so be it...my 2cts.......don't ask for silly fundamentals......they don't work in such times!!

If you have money that you expect to start using in five years,it does not belong in stocks.
When I have money, I get rid of it quickly, lest it find a way into my heart.
Bashka
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:33:00 PM

House prices suffer as diaspora inflows dwindle!

This article was in today's Standard. That property prices have fallen down and most affected areas are milimani,South B/C,kileleshwa and Langata. Is this REAL?
alma
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:45:00 PM

This crunch has been going on and only a fool thinks prices are going up as people are being laid off.....by the time property managers accept that prices are going down,it is already too late for the developers who secured loans and now cannot sell......They will fall further as the real economic shock guys have been hiding from starts to show up.
Jose: If I make it through this thug life, I'll see you one day. The Lord is the only way to stop the hurt.
MoKenya
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2009 5:55:00 PM

This is one topic I,and I am sure a lot of other people follow quietly. A lot off us have in the past been priced out of the markets by developers and their bullish supporters.

When the run up in housing in the US took place in the last couple years,i missed participating (no regrets) because I had other financial commitments then. I passively watched as people flipped houses,making clean profits in no time. But I also watched people left holding on to more housing than they could afford when the bubble burst and the market turned around.

A lot of similar attributes that downed the housing markets in developed economies (cheap credit,lower credit qualifications,etc) have been at play in Kenyan housing market.

I have and will continue waiting in the wings for the markets to rationalize the housing prices (plus land and commodities used in housing) - i.e when the investors,not the speculator are in the limelight again!

That is why I watch this topic keenly.
andycapp
#12 Posted : Thursday, July 02, 2009 10:32:00 AM

Iv been following this topic very keenly.
In the last two weeks i have been asking all the people in real estate industry,iv talked to some valuers in villacare,Landmark,Knight frank & tysons. I also went and talked to my Home loan bankers in HF & Stanbic.
I got a variety of conclusions from these market players.
The Real Estate jamaas had mixed feelings. Some were that the real estate market has now stagnated & towards the end of the prices might decline or if the global economy goes up it will rise. Curently they are getting lower offers than the market values,say if upmarket unit is goin for 12M,the clients are offering around 9M to 10M. They are not so confident in the future of this market.
The Bankers on the other hand are also being prudent on their lending due to the recession & inability of clients to pay their loans due to unrealistic prices & lay offs & Interest rates are likely to go up compunding their risks. Examples of houses collecting rents of 45k monthly & mortgage payments of 80k monthly.
Im my opinion id really approach matterss concerning real estate with alot of caution & before investing always get the professional advice before.....
Marty
#13 Posted : Thursday, July 02, 2009 11:50:00 AM

I think it is important to note that things are changing by the day. I am a small time player in the industry and I can tell u that things are not as good. I sell plots and I have registered reduced demand. Early this year,I was selling plots in Kitengela and the demand was very high....I managed to sell around 20 plots in just over 3 months. I am currently having some plots just next to the 20 I sold and am starting to notice that they are not moving as fast as was the case late last year and early this year....we shall have to wait and see ..before we authoritatively say what's up.

..wise as a serpent,humble as a dove
When I admire the wonder of a sunset or the beauty
of the moon, my soul expands in worship of the Creator.
Pudo
#14 Posted : Thursday, July 02, 2009 3:13:00 PM

Even the rents in certain areas are goin down.
I really feel bad for the landlords who have those 20year mortgages.
Our Landlord is a relatively young guy. He has 15years left on his mortgage.
In 2006 We used to pay a rent of 50k for this 3bedroom Apartment in Kile.
In 2008 people started moving out looking for cheaper flats. Suddenly in a compound of 40,about 8 were vacant for a duration,New tenants offered 45k per month,soon the reluctant landlords accepted & this suddenly became the standard rate.
In 2009,more people moved & one landlord in diaspora accepted a new tenant paying 40k after fearing his apt would stay vacant for a while. All the tenants in the compound suddenly started giving notices after their 1 year leases ended citing that they could easily move to the vacant apartments in the same compound goin for 40k.
Currently we are paying 40K per month. The landlord pockets 40k less 4K for service charge(cleaning,watchies,swimming pool etc) nett of 36k.
My landlord pays a mortgage of 50k for 15years..... he now has to top up 14k.
I wonder what would happen if say he lost his job that enables him to top up the 14k? or what would happen if the Bank interest rates went up?
Pilsner
#15 Posted : Thursday, July 02, 2009 4:14:00 PM

@Pudo,interesing. Which part of Kile is that?? Iko vacant saa hii???

Nyege ni Kunyegezana
mukwano
#16 Posted : Thursday, July 02, 2009 4:51:00 PM

if you are going to wait to see empty houses to note the shift in purchasing ability you will see it when the country is collapsing.

People have to live somewhere.

What changes is the guy earning 200k will move into Kile and abandon runda,the guy earning 100K will move out of Kile and move into Buru ... etc.

Also as I stated in another similar thread our inflation rate is so high that if prices arent climbing as fast as they were before the prices are already coming down. A stagnant price from last year to this year is a price decline in Kenya.

nyefu
#17 Posted : Friday, July 03, 2009 4:36:00 AM

@Pudo
Am also looking for a 3br apartment in those areas of kile. Could you advise of a good agent i can get intouch. Please help.
Marty
#18 Posted : Friday, July 03, 2009 5:51:00 AM

@mukwano,

U point out a very important fact about people scaling downwards...from kile to buru and the like....

If I look at it from demand perspective,the demand for higher end houses would reduce significantly...but at the lower end of the market...houses going for 3-6M,I guess the effective demand is sustainable in the foreseeable future,though this segment of the market ain't popular with the developers coz the profits are not as much. However,it is a segment largely ignored by developers but I believe there is money to be made there. Thing of doing in real estate what Equity Bank did to banking.

..wise as a serpent,humble as a dove
When I admire the wonder of a sunset or the beauty
of the moon, my soul expands in worship of the Creator.
a4architect
#19 Posted : Friday, July 03, 2009 6:34:00 AM

Maybe its time people looked for innovative solutions to housing..such as SIP prefabricated housing..
www.a4architect.com

www.prismafrica.com
Pudo
#20 Posted : Friday, July 03, 2009 7:37:00 AM

@Nyefu,Pilsner

try parts of kile like Gichugu Road,Ole keijudo rd,Kandara rd.
U will definately get some around 40k. advertised at the gate.
The agents are a bunch of cons,Even the watchmen are better.
but if u need their help Call Jacob: 0722-528781.
Happy Hunting.