wazua Thu, May 2, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages<123>
Famine again in Turkana.
Swenani
#21 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 4:09:25 PM

washiku wrote:
And what has the county government there done this far?

Famine is a national govt and not a county govt dutysmile smile smile smile smile smile

I think Turkana county should be suspended or dissolved
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
washiku
#22 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 4:12:41 PM

Swenani wrote:
washiku wrote:

Famine is a national govt and not a county govt dutysmile smile smile smile smile smile

Really? Whichever way I hope they are not sitted somewhere watching their people die as they do nothing.
washiku
#23 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 4:19:08 PM

jaggernaut
#24 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 4:21:38 PM

washiku wrote:
Swenani wrote:
washiku wrote:

Really? Whichever way I hope they are not sitted somewhere watching their people die as they do nothing.

Turkana also got the lion's share of county govt funds. They should do something about the famine.
Angelica _ann
#25 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 4:35:31 PM

Swenani wrote:
washiku wrote:

Like seriously Laughing out loudly
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
jguru
#26 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 5:29:45 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
Swenani wrote:
washiku wrote:

Like seriously Laughing out loudly

Yes seriously.

Or the governor should be impeached like the one for Embu. On Tuesday next week Embu MCA's might just kick Mr.Wabora out.
Set out to correct the world's wrongs and you will most certainly wind up adding to them.
poundfoolish
#27 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 5:39:15 PM

and that is why I have been accumulating parcels in Kajiado huko kichakani.

with land in Kiamgu going into real Estate. Nariobi will be fed from the semi Arid areas.
Rankaz13
#28 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 8:10:17 PM

jaggernaut wrote:
How have the Turkana people survived for hundreds of years in their environment, and how come they are no longer able to survive in the recent past due to the frequent devastating famines? Surely no one was giving them relief food in 1700AD.

Maybe reconstructing their lifestyle and how they coped in their environment in the ancient times could be the key to solving the hunger problem now and in the future.

Nditto, that question needs to be asked and answered satisfactorily before we move forward. Let's not make the mistake of assuming we know what they need and then going ahead to prescribe our own tailor-made 'solutions.'

I'm told of a place in Moyale county (exact name escapes me) where a certain NGO came and established an irrigation scheme. You know what the locals have done? Instead of taking to farming as was expected, the bulk of them simply abandoned the place and moved elsewhere leaving only a few in the disused facility. I'm informed that recently Kamaus, Mwangis and other 'wabara' have moved in to make use of the idle irrigated land.

One more thing: whereas droughts are natural occurences, famines are more often than not, man-made. I have lived in some of the perennially famine-stricken regions of this country and the one thing I always noted was that despite people starving to death in the villages, there was always food available in the local markets, albeit more expensive. In my opinion, famine isn't so much a problem of lack of food but rather a problem of lack of (stable) household incomes. We fix that and we shall be home and dry.

And finally, infrastructure. The sooner we fix this the better. We all recall how in the last time milk as well as other fresh farm produce were going to waste in places such as Mwea, Kijabe while our Turkana kin were starving at the same time. Yaani, the deficiency in infrastructure (principally, motorable roads) introduces market deficiencies where some have too much while others lack. I am of the opinion that if Turkana was well connected to the rest of the country by road, they would hardly starve. We'd buy the animals from them and in turn take food to them.

Just my opinions...
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
washiku
#29 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 8:43:09 PM

Rankaz13 wrote:
jaggernaut wrote:
How have the Turkana people survived for hundreds of years in their environment, and how come they are no longer able to survive in the recent past due to the frequent devastating famines? Surely no one was giving them relief food in 1700AD.

Maybe reconstructing their lifestyle and how they coped in their environment in the ancient times could be the key to solving the hunger problem now and in the future.

Nditto, that question needs to be asked and answered satisfactorily before we move forward. Let's not make the mistake of assuming we know what they need and then going ahead to prescribe our own tailor-made 'solutions.'

I'm told of a place in Moyale county (exact name escapes me) where a certain NGO came and established an irrigation scheme. You know what the locals have done? Instead of taking to farming as was expected, the bulk of them simply abandoned the place and moved elsewhere leaving only a few in the disused facility. I'm informed that recently Kamaus, Mwangis and other 'wabara' have moved in to make use of the idle irrigated land.

One more thing: whereas droughts are natural occurences, famines are more often than not, man-made. I have lived in some of the perennially famine-stricken regions of this country and the one thing I always noted was that despite people starving to death in the villages, there was always food available in the local markets, albeit more expensive. In my opinion, famine isn't so much a problem of lack of food but rather a problem of lack of (stable) household incomes. We fix that and we shall be home and dry.

And finally, infrastructure. The sooner we fix this the better. We all recall how in the last time milk as well as other fresh farm produce were going to waste in places such as Mwea, Kijabe while our Turkana kin were starving at the same time. Yaani, the deficiency in infrastructure (principally, motorable roads) introduces market deficiencies where some have too much while others lack. I am of the opinion that if Turkana was well connected to the rest of the country by road, they would hardly starve. We'd buy the animals from them and in turn take food to them.

Just my opinions...

Well put sir.
Lolest!
#30 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 9:23:51 PM

i like your thoughts rankaz. But it should be Marsabit county
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Rankaz13
#31 Posted : Saturday, January 25, 2014 8:39:38 AM

Lolest! wrote:
i like your thoughts rankaz. But it should be Marsabit county

Oh yeah, thanks for the correction. It's Marsabit county, near Moyale.smile
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
Magigi
#32 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2014 2:53:25 PM

murchr
#33 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2019 10:28:23 PM

Another opportunity for big bellied politicians to distribute dry maize and beans to a population that has no enough water to drink let alone cook.

"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Sansa
#34 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2019 4:34:59 PM

I would use my last bit of strength to stone those big bellied politicians.

Like why are they smiling in this picture????
bwenyenye
#35 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2019 5:17:47 PM

washiku wrote:

Actually I am very bitter about this perennial circus that the leaders of the region keep playing. We cannot have such loss of lives every year yet the Kenyans there have employed people who should be planning for such. The amounts of money that have been allocated to the county are mind boggling. We have had excessive production of food in other counties around them and farmers were busy complaining they have nowhere to sell. It was as easy as the county organizing to buy the products in good time!!!

Now good people, for those who better understand the law, is there any reason why the County chiefs( and I am also told that there is a parastatal that is supposed to handle such matters) should not be arraigned in court for ABUSE OF OFFICE? What are they being paid to do?
WE should take these people to task... otherwise this will recur again next year and you will be asked to send money to some Paybill.... Where is Uhuru when you need him to rise up?
I Think Therefore I Am
Sansa
#36 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2019 6:04:05 PM

bwenyenye wrote:
washiku wrote:

Actually I am very bitter about this perennial circus that the leaders of the region keep playing. We cannot have such loss of lives every year yet the Kenyans there have employed people who should be planning for such. The amounts of money that have been allocated to the county are mind boggling. We have had excessive production of food in other counties around them and farmers were busy complaining they have nowhere to sell. It was as easy as the county organizing to buy the products in good time!!!

Now good people, for those who better understand the law, is there any reason why the County chiefs( and I am also told that there is a parastatal that is supposed to handle such matters) should not be arraigned in court for ABUSE OF OFFICE? What are they being paid to do?
WE should take these people to task... otherwise this will recur again next year and you will be asked to send money to some Paybill.... Where is Uhuru when you need him to rise up?

I totally agree with you! It is such a shame that Turkana was allocated the most funds yet we don't see much of what they have done with it. Nanok and his government surely know their county is drought prone, yet they don't seem to have a plan to mitigate it's effects. Why don't they have a stockpile of non-perishable food like corn, beans or rice? What happened to that water we celebrated years ago even thought it was salty? I think the duty of the local government is to figure out what your population needs then start addressing those needs in terms of their urgency.
Tokyo
#37 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 6:40:06 AM

The local society just sits comfortably waiting for perennial continuous recurring drought to hit them ? I refuse to board
work to prosper
#38 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 2:15:35 PM

DP has said that nobody has died of hunger, ni porojo tu ya 2022...
Liar

BBI will solve it
:)
sparkly
#39 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 2:29:31 PM

2012 wrote:
DP has said that nobody has died of hunger, ni porojo tu ya 2022...
Liar

Looto lives on another planet. Remember when he claimed Jubilee had tarmacked 10,000km of roads? The circumference of the earth around the equator is 40,000 km. Looto was purporting to have tarmacked 1/4 of the earths' circumference, within Kenya. 10,000km is enough to crisscross Kenya East-West, North - South 10 times since average distance crossing Kenya is 1,000km. The guy actually expected the lie to sell!
Life is short. Live passionately.
hardwood
#40 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 3:43:43 PM

Sonko has come to their rescue....