mkenyan wrote:
jaggernaut wrote:
Rankaz13 wrote:
nakujua wrote:
Rankaz13 wrote:
murchr wrote:
nakujua wrote:
murchr wrote:
Shuffling through the local channels I must say we lack dearly on content. Am sure many Kenyans love local programming, the success of Royal Media is a testament to that. However music and drama is not everything, how about something different

1. I would enjoy watching our traditional creation stories being told in dramatization eg the house of Mumbi and Gikuyu and the 9 or is it 10 daughters. The Maasai descending from heaven with their cows.

2. The legend behind Kit-Mikayi and other legends

3. An expose/documentary about the pyramid schemes eg DECI and all the others.

4. The coming of the white/arab man into Kenya The story behind the formation of our towns etc The Egerton story

5. Celebrate the successes of our times eg the birth of Bidco, Equity, KCB bla bla

6. Highlight the issues that led to the downfall of parastatals that were eg KICOMI RIVERTEX

7. Our traditional beliefs and customs

Two things, they are very expensive to produce and they would work against the people who have the money to invest in such - they prefer it when wanjiku is only reading and hearing about our tribe being targeted.

One day someone shall be creative enough and they shall strike gold. It can be expensive to produce the first show/s but after enough publicity advertisers will flock in. We're having university students producing programs now...

How I wish our national broadcaster would take up this challenge. Some of these documentaries have the potential of promoting tourism, besides educating us about our country. I most certainly would love to know the story behind Chalbi desert. smile

Kitambo vok/kbc used to have those nice documentaries, they were mostly geared towards culture but were very informative - but back then the national broadcaster was being fully funded by the government.
When the government cut back funding and the national broadcaster was required to raise a good chunk of revenue, plus the private broadcasters came in and poached the top talent huko vok/kbc then that was the end of that.

Worst case is that the private broadcasters realized there was too much money to be made in politics, and creativity had to be pushed back.

I wish they'd continue doing that. I do not want to be told of the Turkanas, Samburus and Pokots when they're fighting or dying of hunger. I, and lots of other Kenyans, would certainly like to hear positive stories coming from these people and places e.g their social, economic, traditional ways of life, their culture, etc etc.

On the same note, is it really alright to have a national broadcaster run commercially? Part of me strongly believes that KBC should be fully 100% gov't funded. Freed of the profit motive, they an then concentrate on making some of the programmes and shows which, even if not generating direct revenues, are nevertheless of immense (educational?) value. How do other countries deal with their national broadcasters?

Agreed! The BBC is fully funded by govt. And you can see the quality programs they make, including #topgear.

BTW i watch BBC 1,2,3 and 4 live on www.filmon.com.

don't they also have some tv tax in uk too? where if you have a tv you have to pay some annual fee whether you watch bbc or not.

Yes they do. Something along the lines of the old tv & radio permits that were abolished in Baks' first term.
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
holycow
#842 Posted : Friday, June 03, 2016 6:19:11 PM

Several Media firms have applied for licence to operate terrestial pay-TV services in today's Kenya Gazette. Royal Media included.
chiaroscuro
#843 Posted : Wednesday, June 08, 2016 9:18:00 AM

After all the meaningless gobbledygook, about digital migration lead by NMG, it turns out that the then CEO, Linus Gitahi, is the distributor of ADN STBs through his Tropikal Brands company. Was he simply preparing his retirement project?
Swenani
#844 Posted : Wednesday, June 08, 2016 9:53:32 AM

chiaroscuro wrote:
After all the meaningless gobbledygook, about digital migration lead by NMG, it turns out that the then CEO, Linus Gitahi, is the distributor of ADN STBs through his Tropikal Brands company. Was he simply preparing his retirement project?

System ya majambazi
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
harrydre
#845 Posted : Wednesday, June 08, 2016 11:56:47 PM

Swenani wrote:
chiaroscuro wrote:

System ya majambazi

smile
i.am.back!!!!