wazua Fri, May 3, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Cake Business in Nairobi.
Binti
#1 Posted : Monday, December 09, 2013 3:25:11 PM

Huy guys!

Does any one have any info about the cake or bakery business in Nairobi?

I'd like to venture into it but on a small scale i.e a ka small shop for selling yummy cakes at the CBD.

Any one with any info on how to go about it?

Would be most appreciated.

Anxious
In God I trust...
tony stark
#2 Posted : Monday, December 09, 2013 8:41:11 PM

You bake cakes and you then sell them.
I think that is the basic premise of the business.
Best of luck!

PS: Did you have a particular question in mind. What have you found out from your research that needed clarification.
Binti
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 10, 2013 11:13:57 AM

@tony,

Thanks but...was asking if anyone has an idea where they get their cakes from coz i realised they dont bake for themselves.

It's like they have a common supply.

Which one and at how much?
In God I trust...
deadpoet
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 10, 2013 11:26:47 AM

For cakes, there's an awesome bakery at the Shell petrol station in westlands. There's also Cake City next to Soin arcade in westlands, but I haven't sampled those.

Also for cookies, usually get from Paul's Cookie Mans along tom mboya street/accra road.
kysse
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 10, 2013 11:23:45 PM

You want to bake or to become a retailer?

I used to know one bakery in kiambu that supplies cakes -(fav is marble cakes) to almost all the city shops.They also do occasional cakes on order and their prices friendly.

Now what shocked me was their location, because their small nbo office was tucked in river road huko kule real hustlers roast cassavas and ndumas as early as 8 am. I used to imagine they pay less than 5k per month in rent because of the location and size.
Every day a mini-van from Kiambu would deliver the cakes to the small dingy location and customers like me would collect from there-used to supplement me when I was unable to bake.
By 11 am count yourself lucky if you found a single cake remaining.
They lock office and return to Kiambu to bake for the next day.smile

Name? try walking along river road/moi avenue/ any street including koinange and buy a marble cake,check the label inside and if it reads kiambu ni hao.Post the name here and I will confirm if they are the ones.

City based bakeries will not give you much in terms of profit because their costs of production are high.

Binti
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:14:36 AM

@kysse,
Thanks a lot for that info..I wanted to be a retailer since am not good in baking but after all the consultations and researches...i think i'll have to perfect my baking skills before diving into this business.Again the profits would be more if i baked for myself..
Thanks alot guys!
In God I trust...
AMON MGANGA
#7 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 12:01:02 PM

hello,your cake idea is okay but try to look at it from different angles to counter the already saturated market bearing in mind that you are at the scratch level.having a well defined business plan will guide you in fulfillment of your objective.it will assist you to identify your market, product, location,source of materials and also moderate expenditure etc;profits will be inevitableApplause
Good luck!
tikariuki
#8 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 9:49:42 PM

kysse wrote:

I used to know one bakery in kiambu that supplies cakes -(fav is marble cakes) to almost all the city shops.They also do occasional cakes on order and their prices friendly.

Now what shocked me was their location, because their small nbo office was tucked in river road huko kule real hustlers roast cassavas and ndumas as early as 8 am. I used to imagine they pay less than 5k per month in rent because of the location and size.
Every day a mini-van from Kiambu would deliver the cakes to the small dingy location and customers like me would collect from there-used to supplement me when I was unable to bake.

Name? try walking along river road/moi avenue/ any street including koinange and buy a marble cake,check the label inside and if it reads kiambu ni hao.Post the name here and I will confirm if they are the ones.

City based bakeries will not give you much in terms of profit because their costs of production are high.

is the co. called Bakezone by any chance
kysse
#9 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 9:54:46 PM

tikariuki wrote:
kysse wrote:

is the co. called Bakezone by any chance

It wasn't going by that name when I was still customer.The owner is a born again man.
Try another name.

nicolesmith
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 02, 2019 11:10:23 AM

Hi Binti,first of all you should notice that it depends a lot of what budget you have,because your capital will be used to buy vital baking equipment that you need,secure a premise and buy your inputs.You will also need uniforms for hygiene purposes and decency,dough mixers,sinks,working table and of course a cake display fridge that will give your food maximum display.When i opened my cake business these guys https://ianboer.com.au/displays/cake-display-fridges/ helped me a lot because beside of cheap prices they also have qualitative cake fridges!If you will need more info pm me and i'll give you more tips))