7 Pages123>»
Co-operative Bank Kenya 2.6bn insider trading scandal
Siringi
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 07, 2013 9:06:11 AM

hmm
"😖😡KQ makes money for everyone except the shareholder 😏😏 " overheard in Wazua
muganda
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 07, 2013 9:18:11 AM

What is wrong with this name Cooperative? Judging by recent events in UK and now in Kenya, it is just an antithesis.

This report by Mars Group Kenya puts down the facts of what has been known by Coop staff and market operatives for quite some time:
http://www.marsgroupkenya.org/b...independent-report-2012/

1. Apr 2007 saw bank directors and senior staff acquire Class B shares with over 50% sold to directors and Mr. Gideon Muriuki as key beneficiary, just before the IPO.

2. The shares were infact financed by loans from same institution and related SACCO, and issued in a manner to obtain connivance from senior staff, including dividends.

But what to do, Nairobi Securities Exchange is a stuffed old boys club. Can they really chastise their member - Kingdom Securities? At first glance, this Kingdom is definitely one of this world, not the next?

Let us accept and move on.
Share price past Friday: 18.10

murchr
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 07, 2013 9:20:32 AM

Is it wrong for an MD to buy shares? Id be worried if he sold.Remember the monkey story?
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
mkeiyd
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 07, 2013 9:26:53 AM

Siringi wrote:
hmm

Kenya yetu ni nchi ya ajabu!!!

Sing along if you may.
Realtreaty
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 07, 2013 10:18:10 AM

Quite an old story that is history. Does it mean if you wetted the bed as a baby you still wet it as a grown up? Trade bank was there and I was made to understand you could get an overdraft without making any deposit at start. But this was mere lies. Mars wanted to be the lead consultant for the coop bank but failed and resulted in this messy job.
Quote:
A friend will fight you if you refuse to go to bed together!!
Pesa Nane
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 07, 2013 4:00:37 PM

murchr wrote:
Is it wrong for an MD to buy shares? Id be worried if he sold.Remember the monkey story?

Seriously?? Insider trading!! Read full report HERE Sad
Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.
FRM2011
#7 Posted : Saturday, December 07, 2013 7:46:55 PM

Poor Mars group guys; its not called insider trading, its called ESOP. This issue has been raised so many times by so many people questioning how coop bank's top mgt became instant millionaires after the ipo, and the answer has always been the same; ESOP.

The same happened to Equity bank before the listing.
murchr
#8 Posted : Saturday, December 07, 2013 8:07:50 PM

Pesa Nane wrote:
murchr wrote:

Seriously?? Insider trading!! Read full report HERE Sad

Pesa Nane insider trading is when an employee buys/sells a stock when they know the results in the book either to cash in or to avoid a loss. ESOP is a benefits program that enables employees to buy shares at discounted prices before listing or when trading. Its not illegal but in this case it "could" have been deemed immoral.

Dont get carried away by these alarmist NGO's
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
obiero
#9 Posted : Saturday, December 07, 2013 9:31:49 PM

Having done both, I can discuss with authority.. Insider trading is what I do on exchange bar. ESOP ni kitu halali

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
xyzee
#10 Posted : Saturday, December 07, 2013 10:11:44 PM

FRM2011 wrote:
Poor Mars group guys; its not called insider trading, its called ESOP. This issue has been raised so many times by so many people questioning how coop bank's top mgt became instant millionaires after the ipo, and the answer has always been the same; ESOP.

ESOP? If this deal was above board all staff should have been allowed to buy the shares at 100 bob for 100 shares, and not compeled to buy shares at the IPO at 9 bob per share.
guru267
#11 Posted : Saturday, December 07, 2013 10:23:19 PM

In Kenya we are against the reading culture...

All those screaming ESOP so loudly clearly haven't read the report Sad

Normal ESOP programmes do not have the mentioned irregularities..

There is clearly a huge scandal here that should at least be investigated further!
Mark 12:29
Deuteronomy 4:16
murchr
#12 Posted : Saturday, December 07, 2013 10:25:59 PM

xyzee wrote:
FRM2011 wrote:

ESOP? If this deal was above board all staff should have been allowed to buy the shares at 100 bob for 100 shares, and not compeled to buy shares at the IPO at 9 bob per share.

Who says staff were'nt allowed? Rem this is not the first time this issue is brought up
Siringi
#13 Posted : Sunday, December 08, 2013 7:38:11 AM

With most responses here i understand why Kamlesh is viewed as a hero in some quarters

So someone dares write ESOP in what is black and white theft and conspiracy ? You think us stupid?

You want ESOP look at Total (k) and Safcom

hii ingine ni wizi wizi wizi thievez thieves thieves
"😖😡KQ makes money for everyone except the shareholder 😏😏 " overheard in Wazua
the deal
#14 Posted : Sunday, December 08, 2013 7:43:57 AM

Mega fraud...unbelievable the same thiefs are still running the bank...what else are this thiefs hiding? but this is Kenya mega corruption must be a way of life now....look at responses above LMAO.
murchr
#15 Posted : Sunday, December 08, 2013 8:59:41 AM

the deal wrote:
Mega fraud...unbelievable the same thiefs are still running the bank...what else are this thiefs hiding? but this is Kenya mega corruption must be a way of life now....look at responses above LMAO.

Instead of LYAO why dont you explain to these Kenyans how this is "Insider Trading", who these
"thieves" stole from and why the responses here don't make sense. Make sure you furnish us with evidence apart from these "reports" from Mwalimu Mati who thinks everyone is a thief (probably he'd call you one too)

the deal
#16 Posted : Sunday, December 08, 2013 9:29:33 AM

murchr wrote:
the deal wrote:

Instead of LYAO why dont you explain to these Kenyans how this is "Insider Trading", who these
"thieves" stole from and why the responses here don't make sense. Make sure you furnish us with evidence apart from these "reports" from Mwalimu Mati who thinks everyone is a thief (probably he'd call you one too)

1. By logging in here...I will assume you are literate.

2. So go and read the report...the report is clear on the issues you have raised above...why should I recite something that somebody has already raised?

3. After reading the report...google what an ESOP is? And what is insider trading? You will get your answers.

4. I will ask you again...did you read the report? The english is simple & plain...the evidence is well laid out.

5. I seriously dont understand your argument...I think you are the type who argue for the sake of arguing....rather the word FOOL is appropriate LOL.

obiero
#17 Posted : Sunday, December 08, 2013 10:15:04 AM

when is the report dated

obiero
#18 Posted : Sunday, December 08, 2013 11:50:53 AM

this could definitely affect share price negatively come tomorrow

murchr
#19 Posted : Sunday, December 08, 2013 5:22:40 PM

the deal wrote:
murchr wrote:
the deal wrote:

2. So go and read the report...the report is clear on the issues you have raised above...why should I recite something that somebody has already raised?

3. After reading the report...google what an ESOP is? And what is insider trading? You will get your answers.

4. I will ask you again...did you read the report? The english is simple & plain...the evidence is well laid out.

5. I seriously dont understand your argument...I think you are the type who argue for the sake of arguing....rather the word FOOL is appropriate LOL.

I may be a FOOL as you call me but am not gullible These IPO happened more than 5 years ago and i know Kenyans are not stupid tho may be I am. In the case of mobitelea (safaricom) Kenyans asked questions. Its clear you are not able to answer my questions and you'd rather engage in insults (just like the most "drunk" man in the market). My friend you have alot to learn about Kenya dont get over excited when yu see reports from Mars group. They do this for a living.
FRM2011
#20 Posted : Sunday, December 08, 2013 7:18:20 PM

the deal wrote:
murchr wrote:
the deal wrote:

@the deal, am assuming this is the first time you are hearing about the supposed irregularities. The issue was raised severally during and after the IPO. Indeed this report seems to have been authored around 2008/2009 period.

The so-called dossier by mars group contains info that was in the
bank's IPO information memorandum. The bank's top mgt was allocated shares in an ESOP program in 2007. Again this info was publicly available before the IPO. Was the decision to give themselves shares before the IPO legal? I don't know but considering the bank was registered as a cooperative society, all they would have needed to do was ammend a by-law.

Was it morally okay ? Now that we can argue until Jesus comes back.