wazua Wed, Apr 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

10 Pages«<78910>
Kikuyus, Please Come (Here)
Njung'e
#161 Posted : Sunday, December 01, 2013 7:24:03 AM

wairegi wrote:
Njung'e correct me..The Mbari ya Iregi.. is the generation that overthrew the women government ( Wangu wa makeri. This should have very few years before the white man and possibly 1800s.

Very interesting discussion

It is true Wairegi (I can see you are one),that the Iregi generation was preceded by Mathathi and Ndemi but i also have it that this was a delayed generation and could have existed long before as can be confirmed by the saying "gutiri wa Iregi utuire" which was widely used by the Mathathi and Ndemi generation.How could that have been possible?.I have it that the origin of the name was in the years of migration.The Agikuyu were the last to settle between Gaki (Nyeri) and Metumi (Murang'a) after their Embu cousins had taken the slopes east of Kirinyaga.There was an urge to find more and better land beyond the slopes of Southern Nyandarua,but once they reached the eastern escarpments of the RV (Limuru/Kikuyu area) and probably from the fear of falling off the earth,they refused to proceed hence the name Iregi.That might explain also why a majority of families with this names are to be found around the Limuru area (That would include your family and lineage i have no doubt).....Does the "thingira wa iregi" go beyond the hut that housed the "Iregis" after the "Wa Makeri's" overthrow?. YES!.Any "thingira" that housed the unruly son in any household was held by the same name.It is common to hear a father refer to his protesting son's hut as "thingira wa kiregi" and i guess this happened even before Wangu was around.How or why then is "thingira wa iregi " glorified?I would say it has more to do with machismo than authority.
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
Wakanyugi
#162 Posted : Sunday, December 01, 2013 7:34:05 AM

wa P wrote:

"Ndathire ku`rira mwere gatitu` ka mwere
Ngikinya kiura name ikinya kiura gitahutio ... no mention of ithanga.

You are singing the 'sanitized' Kabete version. The Muranga/Metumi version goes liked this:

"Ndathiire kurira mwere gatitu, Ithanga
Ngikinya kiura na ikinya, kiari kia mbarika
Kiurua kianjirire atiri; nginyukia ngwire...."

One question though: are there Nilotes and Cushites any south of Tanzania?

This an interesting thought. I know of no Cushites or Nilotes south of Central Tanzania (there are Nilotes in the north regions).

It seems like this part of Africa was the point of a massive 'clash of civilizations' in the recent past. The Nilotes, Cushites and Haamites arriving from the North, the Sahel and the Arabian peninsula clashed with the Bantu arriving from the South and West.

The result is, us, the strange mixture of peoples, languages and cultures that we are trying to unravel here.

A young historian will one day make a name for herself by focusing on this subject.
"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." (Niels Bohr)
Wakanyugi
#163 Posted : Sunday, December 01, 2013 7:55:49 AM

Money Whisperer wrote:
The clans/dialect communities' dispersal spelt doom for the Thagichu tribe because the clans grew and attained an identity of their own and the name Thagichu became a distant memory only recollected in oral literature and names. at some point it became derogatory as it gained connotations of backwardness

I am still researching the Thagicu angle. So far my thesis is that this was another dispersion point. According to Were, the Bantu traveled north along the coast, the interior was too hostile. But every time they came to a major river, a group would break off and go up the river while others would remain. The Thagishu could be such a remnant.

The tendency of Gikuyu people to label their past in derogatory terms is well known. The people of Ndia were once labeled dumb (despite the fact that they were the origin of Gikuyu philosophy), the Ndorobo were equally seen as inferior people (remember the Gikuyu name for a poor man is 'Mugiiki' (Ogiek).

You could call it arrogance but I see this tendency as something deeper. A group who are desperate to own an invented narrative of origin, say to justify a land grab from hostile tribes, will do anything to deny their past and emphasize their present right of belonging.

And, lest I be accused - I do not see such adaptability as a bad thing. Just the reverse. History clearly shows that the flexible thrive while those too stiff to bend will eventually break and disappear.
"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." (Niels Bohr)
Wakanyugi
#164 Posted : Sunday, December 01, 2013 8:19:43 AM

Njung'e wrote:
wairegi wrote:
Njung'e correct me..The Mbari ya Iregi.. is the generation that overthrew the women government ( Wangu wa makeri. This should have very few years before the white man and possibly 1800s.

Very interesting discussion

It is true Wairegi (I can see you are one),that the Iregi generation was preceded by Mathathi and Ndemi but i also have it that this was a delayed generation and could have existed long before as can be confirmed by the saying "gutiri wa Iregi utuire" which was widely used by the Mathathi and Ndemi generation.How could that have been possible?.I have it that the origin of the name was in the years of migration.The Agikuyu were the last to settle between Gaki (Nyeri) and Metumi (Murang'a) after their Embu cousins had taken the slopes east of Kirinyaga.There was an urge to find more and better land beyond the slopes of Southern Nyandarua,but once they reached the eastern escarpments of the RV (Limuru/Kikuyu area) and probably from the fear of falling off the earth,they refused to proceed hence the name Iregi.That might explain also why a majority of families with this names are to be found around the Limuru area (That would include your family and lineage i have no doubt).....Does the "thingira wa iregi" go beyond the hut that housed the "Iregis" after the "Wa Makeri's" overthrow?. YES!.Any "thingira" that housed the unruly son in any household was held by the same name.It is common to hear a father refer to his protesting son's hut as "thingira wa kiregi" and i guess this happened even before Wangu was around.How or why then is "thingira wa iregi " glorified?I would say it has more to do with machismo than authority.

Njunge, you have introduced an interesting angle here. It is very true that the naming patterns in Gikuyuland can be very revealing of the past. I wish somebody could do an anthropological mapping. The names that recall the earliest ancestors of the Agikuyu are found in the Kiambu area:
- Tene – Watene
- Mathathi – Mathathi
- Ndemi – Ndemi, Mutemi etc
- Iregi – Iregi, Wairegi

One the other hand the Maina, Mwangi, Irungu (the generations that followed Tene, Iregi, Ndemi and Mathathi, are found mostly in Muranga

In Nyeri you find names like Ndungu (from Mutungu/small pox), Ngunjiri, Maathai, Wangombe, Nyookabi/Wamaitha, Muriiithi etc that recall more recent events like the smallpox epidemic around 1850’s and the conflict and intermixing with the pastoralist Purko and Laikipiak Maasai and Samburu around the same time - as the Gikuyu pushed north along the Nyeri valley in search of good land.

This process of expansion ‘kuuna ithaka’ existed until the Whiteman interfered. In fact you could say it never ended, the reason we have such a huge Gikuyu diaspora today.

Wakanyugi
#165 Posted : Sunday, December 01, 2013 8:33:45 AM

wa P wrote:

And thanks Wakanyugi your posts are interesting even though the Kamba as progenitor of Kikuyu is doubtful.

I would not mind being proved wrong. But, from where I sit, the evidence is simply overwhelming.

There could be a way we can lay this matter to rest. Most of these community 'breaks' in the past used to be wrenching, painful events that sometimes pitted brother against brother. Some of these events would often be recorded in community oral stories.

Do the Kamba have such stories of a group that broke away in the past and headed west?

Can someone get Magigi for us?
Mpenzi
#166 Posted : Sunday, December 01, 2013 9:17:05 AM

Wakanyugi wrote:
wa P wrote:

You are singing the 'sanitized' Kabete version. The Muranga/Metumi version goes liked this:

This an interesting thought. I know of no Cushites or Nilotes south of Central Tanzania (there are Nilotes in the north regions).

It seems like this part of Africa was the point of a massive 'clash of civilizations' in the recent past. The Nilotes, Cushites and Haamites arriving from the North, the Sahel and the Arabian peninsula clashed with the Bantu arriving from the South and West.

The result is, us, the strange mixture of peoples, languages and cultures that we are trying to unravel here.

A young historian will one day make a name for herself by focusing on this subject.

Wakanyugi, Why do you make so much out of Ithanga? This seems to have been merely a place of dispersal of the Thagicu that became Kambas, Gikuyus, Embus, Merus?
Njung'e
#167 Posted : Sunday, December 01, 2013 9:49:59 AM

Mpenzi wrote:
[quote=Wakanyugi][quote=wa P]

Wakanyugi, Why do you make so much out of Ithanga? This seems to have been merely a place of dispersal of the Thagicu that became Kambas, Gikuyus, Embus, Merus?

I highly doubt (Yes,i want to differ with history and historians thus far) that Ithanga was a dispersal place of the Thagicu and i think this is why.

1.There exists Akambas amongst the Pare tribe of TZ and this could only have happened during migration period meaning the Akambas took a different route to their present land.

2.The Segejus of Tanzania are equally Thagicus which means the place of dispersal was somewhere in TZ or further otherwise they couldn't have migrated from Kenya.

What can we conclude from this then?

@Wakanyugi,

It cannot be true that the word mugiiki comes from "Ogiek".....That is a totally misleading, unless you want to tell the whole world that the word "Ogiek" made Gikuyu language.Mugiiki comes from the word "Kugiika" (Kujigongagonga)smile
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
Mpenzi
#168 Posted : Sunday, December 01, 2013 10:14:42 AM

Njung'e wrote:
Mpenzi wrote:

I highly doubt (Yes,i want to differ with history and historians thus far) that Ithanga was a dispersal place of the Thagicu and i think this is why.

1.There exists Akambas amongst the Pare tribe of TZ and this could only have happened during migration period meaning the Akambas took a different route to their present land.

2.The Segejus of Tanzania are equally Thagicus which means the place of dispersal was somewhere in TZ or further otherwise they couldn't have migrated from Kenya.

@Wakanyugi,

It cannot be true that the word mugiiki comes from "Ogiek".....That is a totally misleading, unless you want to tell the whole world that the word "Ogiek" made Gikuyu language.Mugiiki comes from the word "Kugiika" (Kujigongagonga)smile

Lol, Wakanyugi has list of theories without backup
masukuma
#169 Posted : Sunday, December 01, 2013 11:29:05 AM

Mpenzi wrote:
Njung'e wrote:
Mpenzi wrote:

@Wakanyugi,

Lol, Wakanyugi has list of theories without backup

they call Kaleos Rumbwa possibly because of the treaty between the kipsigis and the british (http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/2843751?uid=3739256&uid=2&uid=4&sid=21103094239193)
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
Money Whisperer
#170 Posted : Sunday, December 01, 2013 12:20:45 PM

@Wakanyugi, to put the discussion in greater perspective, we must recall that dispersals occurred frequently and thus we have many dispersal points. what historians focus on are the major dispersal points involving tribes/dialect communities, but not on minor dispersal points where clans and even blood brothers parted ways. Sagana/Tana river was the main migratory path with the source being the true north. families and dialect communities settled along the river once they felt they liked the place and were no longer interested in venturing further. The dense forest along the river was dangerous and so migrants had to stick to the river. as the late migrants moved along the river, they would stop for refreshments and rest (R&R) and their tribesmates would come to the river to welcome them (guthagana) hence Thagana River. Those who chose to remain started work immediately of cutting down trees and settling down others moved on after the rest. These minor dispersal points are rarely focussed on but still remain in orature. Ithanga was a dispersal point for the GEMA (include Akamba here). Ithanga could be from the word assembly like sand (ta muthanga) that is an assembly of many particles. At this assembly the last major migratory path for the clans was mapped out. Assuming the Gikuyu myth is not accurate then Mukurwe wa Nyagathanga might have been the assembly point for the Gikuyu where the leader Gikuyu formerly decided to delink Gikuyu from Thagichu (by pronouncing them as mbari ya Gikuyu that later became muhiriga wa Gikuyu then ruriri rwa Gikuyu) and start his tribe and dispersed his family in the directions where they Gikuyu settled.
"Money never sleeps"
Money Whisperer
#171 Posted : Sunday, December 01, 2013 12:29:40 PM

Wakanyugi wrote:
Money Whisperer wrote:
The clans/dialect communities' dispersal spelt doom for the Thagichu tribe because the clans grew and attained an identity of their own and the name Thagichu became a distant memory only recollected in oral literature and names. at some point it became derogatory as it gained connotations of backwardness

I am still researching the Thagicu angle. So far my thesis is that this was another dispersion point. According to Were, the Bantu traveled north along the coast, the interior was too hostile. But every time they came to a major river, a group would break off and go up the river while others would remain. The Thagishu could be such a remnant.

The tendency of Gikuyu people to label their past in derogatory terms is well known. The people of Ndia were once labeled dumb (despite the fact that they were the origin of Gikuyu philosophy), the Ndorobo were equally seen as inferior people (remember the Gikuyu name for a poor man is 'Mugiiki' (Ogiek).

You could call it arrogance but I see this tendency as something deeper. A group who are desperate to own an invented narrative of origin, say to justify a land grab from hostile tribes, will do anything to deny their past and emphasize their present right of belonging.

And, lest I be accused - I do not see such adaptability as a bad thing. Just the reverse. History clearly shows that the flexible thrive while those too stiff to bend will eventually break and disappear.

They say history is written by the victors and this means the narratives are biased as they elevate the victors to almost superhuman levels that lead to the birth of legends. It is normal for every community to deride those they have conquered and it not just a Gikuyu peculiarity. The word Ndorobo for example exists in many tribes within Rift Valley and the narrative is the same a group of hunters and gatherers who were great blacksmiths but lacked military strategy and economic force. Most of these were assimilated as clans (aturi in Gikuyu, lkunono in Samburu) but made second class citizens. Among the Samburu for example Lkunono were not allowed to own huge herd of cattle and could not claim ownership of community land.the interesting thing about the Lkunono they charged expensive rates for the spears and swords they made for the mainstream Samburu; so to contain their potential strength the Samburu controlled their wealth and despised their job. Even today a "true" Samburu would dare not touch carpentry, mechanical or any of those artisan professions one main reason why village polytechnic failed to take off in Samburu.
"Money never sleeps"
Mtafiti
#172 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2016 5:20:25 PM

A very resourceful thread this one!!!

sitaki.kujulikana
#173 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2016 6:01:04 PM

what is hako
Mtafiti
#174 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2016 6:22:39 PM

sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
what is hako

Fafanua. Which hako? Like "hako ka mtu" or "uuki wa hako", "ngoima ya hako" or in what context?
lexx
#175 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2016 7:11:13 AM

Mtafiti wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
what is hako

Fafanua. Which hako? Like "hako ka mtu" or "uuki wa hako", "ngoima ya hako" or in what context?

Mbúri ya hako?
Swenani
#176 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2016 8:45:36 AM

smile smile smile smile smile

If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
sparkly
#177 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2016 2:27:20 PM

Siringi wrote:
tassia wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
jguru wrote:
I have a question.

If Gikuyu was derived from Kamba, how then is it that a person who speaks in the tongue cannot easily comprehend a conversation in Kamba, yet that person can comprehend a conversation in other Bantu languages (Meru, Embu, Kisii, Buganda, Kinyarwanda etc)?

German, Afrikaans, Dutch and English have similarities because they belong to the same language family.

aiiii?

Kikamba is close to Kikuyu. So close that someone who speaks the Kikuyu language can guess a lot of what the Wakamba are saying. The words are just easier or with v sound in place of f sound.

e.g

Kikuyu Kikamba
Witagwo atia Witawa ata
Ndiraigua toro Niiwa too
Njau Nza
Watinda atia? Watinda ata
Wanja Wanza

Some names are also shared without varying pronunciation e.g. Muthama, Munyaka

I agree. But Embu might be the closest language to Kikuyu followed by Kikamba. But I find that language spoken in Rwanda, I guess it's Kinyarwanda closer to Kikuyu than any other language spoken in Kenya especially the counting of numbers.

kisii is very close to kikuyu. sample this:

gikuyu vs ekegusii

tiga vs tiga
toro vs toro
rora vs rora
maitho vs amaiso
mutwe vs motwe
kanua vs monua
mirongo vs merongo
igùrù vs igoro
nyùngù vs nyongo
kùira vs koira
gùkìa vs gokia
ùtùko vs b otuko

most importantly what the two hold dearest

MUGUNDA Vs MOGONDO
the list is endless

Kisii and kimeru are very similar. Kinyarwanda shares separate similarities with Eastern Bantus and Western Bantus. eg bananas are ibitochi in kinyarwanda and igitoche in kisii
Life is short. Live passionately.
masukuma
#178 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2016 3:04:33 PM

Wakanyugi wrote:
wa P wrote:

this has always been a pet project of mine. My thesis is a bunch of bantus always wanted to go east but if you look the nilotes and cushites have always blocked them. The Maasai to me are more cushitic than nilotic as genetic studies have shown they have 20% ethio-somali makeup. but back to my point. the western side of South Sudan has bantu people who are indistingushable from some kikuyus - the Azande people. their east wards movement was curtailed when they met the Nilotes of Central Equitoria and the Dinkas. Same thing happened in UG and those that managed to cross (possibly before the luos got to the lake) were stopped on their tracks by the groups we call "kalenjin" and to my knowledge no bantu group ever migrated through maasai lands they had to go south and circumvent the maa people then come north. their northern movement was stopped by the cushitic people. some of the traditions these bantus have were actually borrowed from the maa people who in turn borrowed them from the hamitic groups. for example circumcision is not common south of the maasai it's only in pockets here and there.
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
sitaki.kujulikana
#179 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2016 6:37:58 PM

Mtafiti wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
what is hako

I am sure its not hako ka mtu smile
a guy I know told me they went into the forest for hako, he seemed very passionate and said after that he is now a respected mzee.
wa P
#180 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2016 10:39:51 PM

masukuma wrote:
Wakanyugi wrote:
wa P wrote:

this has always been a pet project of mine. My thesis is a bunch of bantus always wanted to go east but if you look the nilotes and cushites have always blocked them. The Maasai to me are more cushitic than nilotic as genetic studies have shown they have 20% ethio-somali makeup. but back to my point. the western side of South Sudan has bantu people who are indistingushable from some kikuyus - the Azande people. their east wards movement was curtailed when they met the Nilotes of Central Equitoria and the Dinkas. Same thing happened in UG and those that managed to cross (possibly before the luos got to the lake) were stopped on their tracks by the groups we call "kalenjin" and to my knowledge no bantu group ever migrated through maasai lands they had to go south and circumvent the maa people then come north. their northern movement was stopped by the cushitic people. some of the traditions these bantus have were actually borrowed from the maa people who in turn borrowed them from the hamitic groups. for example circumcision is not common south of the maasai it's only in pockets here and there.

Your pet project....makes the 2 of us. The assertion that Bantu oriented towards East makes lots of sense. But I think the northward movement was curtailed more by lack of arable land north of mt. Kenya (after mt kenya, the rest of N.E Africa is semi- or desert). Those who went south - if we take dispersal point is tropical forests of central Africa - never encountered a dry schism as they kept S.E trajectory. All the way to the Cape.

Same theory as to why Nilotes and cushites did not venture further south...as there was abundant savanna rangelands (plaine nilotes) and water (river-lake) around the great lakes region. Could 'mfecane' have taken place just as River Nilotes were going round the great lakes curve thus preventing nilotic discovery of the Zambezi?

Human migration is a continous, unstoppable process. Many indicators point to another major wave of movements akin to Euro-American migration 300yrs ago.

When dust settles in next 100 years, methinks major ethnic blocks in the world will be Afro-Chinese (mixed race) and Indians in south east hemisphere incl Pacific, Arab-Turkik in Europe and northern Asia (complete with their religion) as Latino dominates all of America, North and south.