Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

10 Pages«<678910>
Kikuyus, Please Come (Here)
washiku
#141 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2013 6:47:49 PM

Siringi wrote:
simonkabz wrote:
washiku wrote:
This is what my lower sch teacher wrote on the board...and the rest was a combination picked from either of this(I might have jumped some)...By the way I never forgot to read Kikuyu...when in Shags, I read for them a Kikuyu Bible fluently. I even have a Kikuyu Bible...I therefore thought its a simple language until I went through this thread. I didnt know it was such a complex language.

a,e,i,o,u,ĩ,ŭ. Eg aaaiiii..

ba,be,bi,bo,bu,bĩ,bŭ. Eg baba

ca,ce,ci,co,cu,cĩ,cŭ. Eg cucu

da,de,di,do,du,dĩ,dŭ. Eg

ga,ge,gi,go,gu,gĩ,gŭ.

ha,he,hi,ho,hu,hĩ,hŭ.

ja,je,ji,jo,ju,jĩ,jŭ.

ka,ke,ki,ko,ku,kĩ,kŭ.

ma,me,mi,mo,mu,mĩ,mŭ.

na,ne,ni,no,nu,nĩ,nŭ.

ra,re,ri,ro,ru,rĩ,rŭ.

ta,te,ti,to,tu,tĩ,tŭ.

wa,we,wi,wo,wu,wĩ,wŭ.

ya,ye,yi,yo,yu,yĩ,yŭ.

there are others that involves addition of n or m before some of the above

nda,nde,ndi,ndo,ndu,ndĩ,ndŭ. Eg Nduma

mba,mbe,mbi,mbo,mbu,mbĩ,mbŭ. Eg Mbembe

nja, nje,nji,njo,nju,njĩ,njŭ. Eg Njururi

hakuna kitu kama jajejijoju.....J doesn't stand alone at least in th e alphabet that I was taught. Refer to Clown's post. In fact, no kikuyu name has a stand alone J, but NJ eg, Wanja, Wanjau, Njau, Njarana, Njaramba...as for the spoken version hehehe

There's no da de di do du dì dù either. "d" only appears in "nd"

Ndùngù, Nduta, Ndiang'ui, ndùma,nduma, ndundu,

Hau nima...mwaria ma biu....
Wakanyugi
#142 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2013 7:19:02 PM

Money Whisperer wrote:
@wakanyugi, Great discussion I enjoyed it kabisaa and stirred my interest in the subject. It seems we need to interrogate Profs Muriuki and Mwaniki's theses on the subject they might have got it wrong from where I stand. after all we were given the powers to read and write and do all that appertains... which includes disagreeing with profs

I agree. I have interrogated a few of their more controversial conclusions in my own way and find they make sense.

For instance, to name just one, the origin of Kikuyu clans in Kirinyaga, Embu and Mbeere is easy to show. The majority of Gikuyu mbari (sub clan) names are derived from animals, same as are Embu, Ndia, Mbere and some Meru names.

I also had the good fortune to interview some old people in Kiambu, Nyeri, Embu and Nyandarua who narrated the migration history of the Gikuyu to me. This also confirmed the stories my grandmother used to tell me about the dual lineage of my family - she came from Ndia and my grandfather came from Burugo (Purko).

Now I have a rant: what happened to Kenya's historians? It seems a generation of historians is about to exit the stage (Mwaniki, Muriuki, the late Were, Mbiti, even Jomo, were all of an age). Who is going to replace them when they are gone?
"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." (Niels Bohr)
limanika
#143 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2013 9:30:44 PM

Wakanyugi wrote:
Money Whisperer wrote:
@wakanyugi, Great discussion I enjoyed it kabisaa and stirred my interest in the subject. It seems we need to interrogate Profs Muriuki and Mwaniki's theses on the subject they might have got it wrong from where I stand. after all we were given the powers to read and write and do all that appertains... which includes disagreeing with profs

I agree. I have interrogated a few of their more controversial conclusions in my own way and find they make sense.

For instance, to name just one, the origin of Kikuyu clans in Kirinyaga, Embu and Mbeere is easy to show. The majority of Gikuyu mbari (sub clan) names are derived from animals, same as are Embu, Ndia, Mbere and some Meru names.

I also had the good fortune to interview some old people in Kiambu, Nyeri, Embu and Nyandarua who narrated the migration history of the Gikuyu to me. This also confirmed the stories my grandmother used to tell me about the dual lineage of my family - she came from Ndia and my grandfather came from Burugo (Purko).

Now I have a rant: what happened to Kenya's historians? It seems a generation of historians is about to exit the stage (Mwaniki, Muriuki, the late Were, Mbiti, even Jomo, were all of an age). Who is going to replace them when they are gone?

@Wakanyugi, please expound more how Gikuyu was begot by kamba only 200 years ago taking note of the following:
• Prof. Muriuki, who you claim is a better authority than yourself, was able to trace Gikuyu history upto 500 years before the coming of white man.
• Krapf arrived in kitui in mid 1800s and found the kamba, who in turn made reference to kinyaa (kirinyaga), a gikuyu name. Do you mean gikuyu had separated from kamba merely 50 years before that- as in within the lifetime of the chief/living memory if he was +50?
kysse
#144 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2013 9:41:54 PM

found a great page- 'Ask
any questions pertaining to the agikuyu traditions and ways of life.'nice one.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/126883010804883/?notif_t=group_privacy_change
Wakanyugi
#145 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2013 10:33:18 PM

Lolest! wrote:
I told you my reasons. They are close to @whisperers. I understand a bit of each of the Mt Kenya languages, and with my layman's knowledge and bit of history can't just get how a more complicated language is derived from a less complicated one.

By this I assume you want to say Gikuyu is more complicated than Kikamba? How now?

I think you are confusing sounds with meaning. Kikamba is as sophisticated as Gikuyu, maybe more so. For one it is much more tonal than Gikuyu, a quality that not only indicates sophistication (multiple levels of meaning and sentence construction) but also language maturity.

Take a look at Chinese for instance, one of the oldest surviving languages on Earth. It has the same qualities as Kikamba, clear evidence of drift and tonality. Would you argue that English is more complicated than Chinese?
"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." (Niels Bohr)
washiku
#146 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2013 10:59:09 PM

When at it:

MITUGO MIURU KANITHAINI
1.kùhoyahoya karamu wandìke verse...
2.kùina ùkìhiùragia mathutha mùno arìa angì makaaga space ya kùinìra...
3.kùruta cati kana blaùsi ùgatigwo na vest/kamisù atì kwìna ùrugarì mùno...
4.gùcùthìrìria arìa angì makìhoya ta we ùtarì na ùndù wa kwìra Ngai...
5.kùmandìkìrìria bigi-jii gìtìinì yathira cama...
6.gùkoma gùkìhunjio nginya mata makanyùrùrùka...
7.gùthùkia rìera na ùgetua tiwe, ùgatùma andù marorane ùùru...
8.gwìtua ndùnaigua mùhunjia akiuga 'geithia ùcio mùikaranìtie'...
9.kùruta gìtangari gùkìinwo 'bendera yake Yesu'...
10.kùhoya kamweke ga kùina ùgacoka kuuga 'mùthikìrìrie ciugo no ti mùgambo'
12.kùhe ciana irio kanithainì arìa marafast makagwa magerioinì ma kwenda kùrìa...
13.gùtinda ùkiuma nìguo andù mone wìna nguo njeru
Wakanyugi
#147 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2013 11:01:57 PM

limanika wrote:

@Wakanyugi, please expound more how Gikuyu was begot by kamba only 200 years ago taking note of the following:
• Prof. Muriuki, who you claim is a better authority than yourself, was able to trace Gikuyu history upto 500 years before the coming of white man.
• Krapf arrived in kitui in mid 1800s and found the kamba, who in turn made reference to kinyaa (kirinyaga), a gikuyu name. Do you mean gikuyu had separated from kamba merely 50 years before that- as in within the lifetime of the chief/living memory if he was +50?

Hey, I never claimed to be the authority here. I admit I could have got some numbers wrong, but my broad thesis is clearly undeniable.

There is no theory I know that can show a phonetic derivation of 'Kirinyaga' from 'Kenyaa.' But the reverse is quite possible.

And, lest we get stuck on consonant drift too much, there is plenty more evidence in other areas to show the antecedence of Kamba to Gikuyu.

To quote Prof Muriuki, the Muranga and Kabete Gikuyu speak of an origin in Ithanga - Kamba land. We even had a children's rhyme about a man/woman who went to guard his sorghum in Ithanga and what came of him/her. He/she stepped on a frog that was, Wow!

Njunge can sing it for you.

Then I could tell you about the Thagishu from Tanzania and their links with Kamba and Gikuyu.
wa P
#148 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2013 11:12:24 PM

washiku wrote:
Siringi wrote:
simonkabz wrote:
washiku wrote:
This is what my lower sch teacher wrote on the board...and the rest was a combination picked from either of this(I might have jumped some)...By the way I never forgot to read Kikuyu...when in Shags, I read for them a Kikuyu Bible fluently. I even have a Kikuyu Bible...I therefore thought its a simple language until I went through this thread. I didnt know it was such a complex language.

da,de,di,do,du,dĩ,dŭ. Eg

ga,ge,gi,go,gu,gĩ,gŭ.

ha,he,hi,ho,hu,hĩ,hŭ.

ja,je,ji,jo,ju,jĩ,jŭ.

ka,ke,ki,ko,ku,kĩ,kŭ.

ma,me,mi,mo,mu,mĩ,mŭ.

Mbara mbembe mbimbi mboco mbuku mbia mbuku

Ndara Ndege ndigi ndogo nduma ndiri nduma

Nganga ngengere ngi NGO Nguru ngiri nguku

Njara njege njingiri njogu njuru njimbiri njuguma

Thara thenge thigiriri thonjo thumu thi thungururu

Ng'ang'a teng'era king'angi ng'ondu king'uru kung'u

The last 2 words should be read with ` as in ' ay' and oh

na,ne,ni,no,nu,nĩ,nŭ.

ra,re,ri,ro,ru,rĩ,rŭ.

ta,te,ti,to,tu,tĩ,tŭ.

wa,we,wi,wo,wu,wĩ,wŭ.

ya,ye,yi,yo,yu,yĩ,yŭ.

hakuna kitu kama jajejijoju.....J doesn't stand alone at least in th e alphabet that I was taught. Refer to Clown's post. In fact, no kikuyu name has a stand alone J, but NJ eg, Wanja, Wanjau, Njau, Njarana, Njaramba...as for the spoken version hehehe

Hau nima...mwaria ma biu....

Rankaz13
#149 Posted : Saturday, November 30, 2013 12:38:24 AM

washiku wrote:
When at it:

MITUGO MIURU KANITHAINI
12.kùhe ciana irio kanithainì arìa marafast makagwa magerioinì ma kwenda kùrìa...

You just had to Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
Money Whisperer
#150 Posted : Saturday, November 30, 2013 5:07:01 AM

@Wakanyugi, the migratory narrative of the GEMA after splitting from Thagicu and their migratory trajectory sounds interesting. I'm getting fascinated with this Thagicu people. who were they? was it a distinct group or a corporate name like GEMA? Some people still have the name Thagichu
"Money never sleeps"
wa P
#151 Posted : Saturday, November 30, 2013 7:26:34 AM

Wakanyugi wrote:
limanika wrote:

Hey, I never claimed to be the authority here. I admit I could have got some numbers wrong, but my broad thesis is clearly undeniable.

There is no theory I know that can show a phonetic derivation of 'Kirinyaga' from 'Kenyaa.' But the reverse is quite possible.

And, lest we get stuck on consonant drift too much, there is plenty more evidence in other areas to show the antecedence of Kamba to Gikuyu.

To quote Prof Muriuki, the Muranga and Kabete Gikuyu speak of an origin in Ithanga - Kamba land. We even had a children's rhyme about a man/woman who went to guard his sorghum in Ithanga and what came of him/her. He/she stepped on a frog that was, Wow!

Njunge can sing it for you.

Then I could tell you about the Thagishu from Tanzania and their links with Kamba and Gikuyu.

"Ndathire ku`rira mwere gatitu` ka mwere
Ngikinya kiura name ikinya kiura gitahutio ... no mention of ithanga.

And thanks Wakanyugi your posts are interesting even though the Kamba as progenitor of Kikuyu is doubtful. The migratory path if all Bantu seem to have taken an easterly then southern trajectory from Central Africa.

One question though: are there Nilotes and Cushites any south of Tanzania?

. Pls consider writing a book expounding that etymology.
Mukiri
#152 Posted : Saturday, November 30, 2013 7:28:08 AM

Rankaz13 wrote:
washiku wrote:
When at it:

MITUGO MIURU KANITHAINI

You just had to Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Wamabisha Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Mere matige mitugo mucie

Proverbs 19:21
Money Whisperer
#153 Posted : Saturday, November 30, 2013 10:15:16 AM

@WaP Ithanga was a mini dispersal point where the, it is assumed Thagichu tribe dispersed to different directions around Mt. Kenya having followed Thagana (Sagana/Tana river) to its source. The clans/dialect communities' dispersal spelt doom for the Thagichu tribe because the clans grew and attained an identity of their own and the name Thagichu became a distant memory only recollected in oral literature and names. at some point it became derogatory as it gained connotations of backwardness
"Money never sleeps"
kaka2za
#154 Posted : Saturday, November 30, 2013 11:07:38 AM

My grandma used to talk of 'Ndemi and Mathathi'. Who were this guys?
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)
Njung'e
#155 Posted : Saturday, November 30, 2013 12:20:07 PM

@Kaka2za

Ndemi was a generation born out of shrinking land resources around the slopes of Nyandarua.They resulted in cutting down trees on high grounds to access more and fertile pieces.They were quite an arrogant young lot and would hear none of their elders.The name then was born out of "Gutema".

Mathathi was a generation that "discovered" boiled meat and it's soup.It is said previous generations used to feed on roasted meat only.The name Mathathi was born from the name "Thathi" (Soup).There were other generations and i can give you names as below

Manjiri
Mamba
Tene
Agu
Manduti
Cuma
Ciira
Iregi
Mathathi
Ndemi
Maina

And there goes what this two arrogant generations used to boast."Gutiri wa Iregi utuire"

This information is what was passed down to me by my grandma.It's authenticity,i wouldn't know.....Anyone?? ( I am finding this thread quite interesting and i do not expect contributions from "Rika ria tumira ndigithu"smile )

Whisperer,Wakanyugi,Thimioni.....Applause Applause

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
kaka2za
#156 Posted : Saturday, November 30, 2013 3:30:20 PM

Njung'e wrote:
@Kaka2za

Ndemi was a generation born out of shrinking land resources around the slopes of Nyandarua.They resulted in cutting down trees on high grounds to access more and fertile pieces.They were quite an arrogant young lot and would hear none of their elders.The name then was born out of "Gutema".

Mathathi was a generation that "discovered" boiled meat and it's soup.It is said previous generations used to feed on roasted meat only.The name Mathathi was born from the name "Thathi" (Soup).There were other generations and i can give you names as below

Manjiri
Mamba
Tene
Agu
Manduti
Cuma
Ciira
Iregi
Mathathi
Ndemi
Maina

And there goes what this two arrogant generations used to boast."Gutiri wa Iregi utuire"

This information is what was passed down to me by my grandma.It's authenticity,i wouldn't know.....Anyone?? ( I am finding this thread quite interesting and i do not expect contributions from "Rika ria tumira ndigithu"smile )

Thanks Njunge.Quite resourceful,I wish you could put this information in a book.
Was Iregi generation superior to the rest? I am asking because people refer to statehouse as "Thingira wa Iregi"
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)
wairegi
#157 Posted : Saturday, November 30, 2013 4:31:39 PM

Njung'e correct me..The Mbari ya Iregi.. is the generation that overthrew the women government ( Wangu wa makeri. This should have very few years before the white man and possibly 1800s.

I find the Gikungu and Kamba connection very interesting. Some legends will say that they belong to wamuyu one of the daughters that got kids out before she was ' married off'. Where the kambas beleive the came from some knee that swelled.

Ithanga..doesn't seem to have had such a long history. This prior independence was kamba land and was made part of murang no very long ago by Kenyatta.

Very interesting discussion
Money Whisperer
#158 Posted : Saturday, November 30, 2013 6:32:10 PM

kaka2za wrote:
Njung'e wrote:
@Kaka2za

Manjiri
Mamba
Tene
Agu
Manduti
Cuma
Ciira
Iregi
Mathathi
Ndemi
Maina

Thanks Njunge.Quite resourceful,I wish you could put this information in a book.
Was Iregi generation superior to the rest? I am asking because people refer to statehouse as "Thingira wa Iregi"

Iregi means the defiant/rebellious ones from the word Kurega. Mbari ya iregi is credited with rebellion that upset an oppressive order (Wangu wa Makeri? maybe) and mainstreamed the democratic system of kiama (council of elders) among the Kikuyu. Kenyatta was leading a similar rebellion hence the name where he sat after overthrowing the colonial government. The new societal order meant that one became a member of the leaders' council by merit, and merit consisted of bravery in war (njamba), wealth (itonga) and charisma and integrity (mutongoria). One who exhibited two or three of these became a muthamaki merely a facilitator and coordinator of the council with veto power. Mbari ya iregi therefore brought about the culture of hardwork and wealth accumulation. The kiama was very powerful as it could prevent a man from taking on a second wife if they felt he could not take care of them i.e if he was a lazy type and/or without enough wealth. Ndemi on the other hand are credited with expanding Kikuyu territory and birthing the Kikuyu thirst for land beyond their borders. They cut down trees and expanded their land without approval from the elders. this generation was actually frowned upon for lack of respect and defiance, but to them land was getting scarce and the population was expanding while the ruling class was slow in giving direction to the people. For one to cut down trees and expand their individual or clan land they had to petition the elders who would deliberate and give a go ahead.

If I have mixed up something naomba serikali ingilie kati....
"Money never sleeps"
Mpenzi
#159 Posted : Saturday, November 30, 2013 10:46:33 PM

If am not wrong the Mau Mau were also referred to as the Iregi to connote the same characteristic of the original iregis.
mukiha
#160 Posted : Sunday, December 01, 2013 12:50:04 AM

Siringi wrote:
simonkabz wrote:
washiku wrote:

da,de,di,do,du,dĩ,dŭ. Eg

ga,ge,gi,go,gu,gĩ,gŭ.

ha,he,hi,ho,hu,hĩ,hŭ.

ja,je,ji,jo,ju,jĩ,jŭ.

ka,ke,ki,ko,ku,kĩ,kŭ.

ma,me,mi,mo,mu,mĩ,mŭ.

na,ne,ni,no,nu,nĩ,nŭ.

ra,re,ri,ro,ru,rĩ,rŭ.

ta,te,ti,to,tu,tĩ,tŭ.

wa,we,wi,wo,wu,wĩ,wŭ.

ya,ye,yi,yo,yu,yĩ,yŭ.

ha ha ha Do you know the saying "ŭkuona 'D' ĩtarĩ 'N'"?
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.