VituVingiSana
#481 Posted : Sunday, January 29, 2017 5:38:08 PM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
MadDoc wrote:
obiero wrote:
MadDoc wrote:
Anyone with clues on the current drop in share price?

The same reason it went up.. Nothing tangible!!

Laughing out loudly ii yako ni chuki

Anything VVS holds is normal trashed (somehow except Unga Group), if you have been following them.

@Angel - As a Warren Buffett fan and follower, I am OK with all the kelele ya chura. After all, I get my dividend regularly and sleep at night without worrying about when the CEO will be fired for poor performance!

Unga - Nick Hutchinson has been around for 5+ years as CEO. Isabella Ocholla-Wilson has been around for a few years too.

KenRe - Mwarania is doing OK and there's no talk of replacing him.

I&M - The "old" CEO [now a director] retired at 65 (or something like that) while the Executive Director (48) still runs the show.

KK - Ohana's 4th year as CEO. Mathenge's 4th year as chairman. Profits rolling in!

I can wait out the downturns in share price as long as the CORE business is doing well enough. I expect all the above to do better in FY 2017 vs FY 2016 except I&M like most banks. Even Unga with a tough year (drought, KES/USD) is expected to do better.

Some smaller holdings like Williamson/Kapchorua will take a hit [drought] but I can wait for the "boom" in 1-2 years.
TPSEA will have a tough time due to the elections [low tourist numbers and construction/rehab of Nairobi Serena] but give it 2 years.
Car & General will suffer in 2017 [KES/USD, elections] but I expect a decent 2018.

Why don't I worry unduly about these firms for now? QUALITY MANAGEMENT...

Kenya Airways has the highest quality chairman in East & Central Africa.. Revenues unmatched by any other listed lender apart from Safaricom

Chairman: Respect the guy
Losses: KK made losses for 2 years then profits galore. Expect 3bn excluding KPRL provisions for 2016. Ceteris Paribus 3bn+ for 2017. What are KQ's revenues? Let's compare to KK.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
obiero
#482 Posted : Sunday, January 29, 2017 9:35:15 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
MadDoc wrote:
obiero wrote:
MadDoc wrote:

Anything VVS holds is normal trashed (somehow except Unga Group), if you have been following them.

@Angel - As a Warren Buffett fan and follower, I am OK with all the kelele ya chura. After all, I get my dividend regularly and sleep at night without worrying about when the CEO will be fired for poor performance!

Unga - Nick Hutchinson has been around for 5+ years as CEO. Isabella Ocholla-Wilson has been around for a few years too.

I&M - The "old" CEO [now a director] retired at 65 (or something like that) while the Executive Director (48) still runs the show.

KK - Ohana's 4th year as CEO. Mathenge's 4th year as chairman. Profits rolling in!

I can wait out the downturns in share price as long as the CORE business is doing well enough. I expect all the above to do better in FY 2017 vs FY 2016 except I&M like most banks. Even Unga with a tough year (drought, KES/USD) is expected to do better.

Some smaller holdings like Williamson/Kapchorua will take a hit [drought] but I can wait for the "boom" in 1-2 years.
TPSEA will have a tough time due to the elections [low tourist numbers and construction/rehab of Nairobi Serena] but give it 2 years.
Car & General will suffer in 2017 [KES/USD, elections] but I expect a decent 2018.

Kenya Airways has the highest quality chairman in East & Central Africa.. Revenues unmatched by any other listed lender apart from Safaricom

Losses: KK made losses for 2 years then profits galore. Expect 3bn excluding KPRL provisions for 2016. Ceteris Paribus 3bn+ for 2017. What are KQ's revenues? Let's compare to KK.

KQs revenues even in the face of falling profits has never been less than KES 105B in the last 5 year's

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
VituVingiSana
#483 Posted : Sunday, January 29, 2017 11:14:10 PM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
MadDoc wrote:
obiero wrote:
MadDoc wrote:

KQs revenues even in the face of falling profits has never been less than KES 105B in the last 5 year's

Give me KQ's numbers [Revenue, PBT and PAT] and we can compare. I'll get KK's numbers. Let's shift this discussion to KK or KQ's board.

In the meantime, Kenya Re is investing in T-Bonds at high rates. Nice.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ericsson
#484 Posted : Monday, January 30, 2017 9:13:28 AM

I see KK, KQ, Unga being discussed here yet thread is for kenya Re.
Where is sparkly to make the noise
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
obiero
#485 Posted : Monday, January 30, 2017 9:42:20 AM

Ericsson wrote:

I agree.. This is out of order

sparkly
#486 Posted : Monday, January 30, 2017 3:00:37 PM

obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

I wonder who the culprits are
Life is short. Live passionately.
Spikes
#487 Posted : Monday, January 30, 2017 3:53:41 PM

obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

This thread is precariously out of course.
John 5:17 But Jesus replied, “My Father is always working, and so am I.”
obiero
#488 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2017 10:01:27 PM

KENRE share goes back to familiar territory, sub 20 tomorrow https://www.nse.co.ke/ma...tatistics&Itemid=190

VituVingiSana
#489 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2017 11:50:10 PM

obiero wrote:
KENRE share goes back to familiar territory, sub 20 tomorrow https://www.nse.co.ke/ma...atistics&Itemid=190

To think, not too long ago... KenRe and KQ were at the same price!
obiero
#490 Posted : Wednesday, February 01, 2017 7:33:58 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
KENRE share goes back to familiar territory, sub 20 tomorrow https://www.nse.co.ke/ma...atistics&Itemid=190

To think, not too long ago... KenRe and KQ were at the same price!

Cest la vie.. They will intersect in 2017 as KQ moves to the skies above

Pesa Nane
#491 Posted : Wednesday, February 01, 2017 9:59:44 AM

Spikes wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

pre·car·i·ous
prəˈkerēəs/
adjective
not securely held or in position; dangerously likely to fall or collapse.
"a precarious ladder"
dependent on chance; uncertain.
"she made a precarious living by writing"
Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.
Spikes
#492 Posted : Wednesday, February 01, 2017 10:16:44 AM

Pesa Nane wrote:
Spikes wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

pre·car·i·ous
prəˈkerēəs/
adjective
"a precarious ladder"

I know... You've been conditioned to think not beyond what your English teacher taught you.

No wonder education experts have rolled out an overhaul of the system to weed out elimu ya kukariri....

Not even a single A was registered in English after the 2016 KCSE exams. .....I'll send you to Matiang'i for reevaluation. ..I'm quite skeptical about your qualifications.
iris
#493 Posted : Wednesday, February 01, 2017 10:51:36 AM

Spikes wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
Spikes wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

pre·car·i·ous
prəˈkerēəs/
adjective
"a precarious ladder"

I know... You've been conditioned to think not beyond what your English teacher taught you.

No wonder education experts have rolled out an overhaul of the system to weed out elimu ya kukariri....

Not even a single A was registered in English after the 2016 KCSE exams. .....I'll send you to Matiang'i for reevaluation. ..I'm quite skeptical about your qualifications.

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Since my English qualifications are also suspect,
here: "gnothi seauton"
Spikes
#494 Posted : Wednesday, February 01, 2017 11:23:12 AM

I like the way I'm leaving guys uncomfortable coz I'm here to expose the rot in 8-4-4 system.

It is good to feel irritated because your wrong foundations are challenged.
VituVingiSana
#495 Posted : Wednesday, February 01, 2017 11:52:21 AM

The current management is IMHO decent enough. This is a firm that I would be comfortable with if it delisted. Eventually, [as long as the KE politicians stay away] this firm will pop. I don't care about the share price as long as the profits roll in. When GoK is ready to give up the majority control/ownership to someone else then expect a takeover bid. I don't see this happening until after 2022 but let the profits roll in.

If I has KES 15bn, and connections at GoK, I would buy this firm up lock, stock and barrel.
obiero
#496 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 9:47:58 AM

a company on the edge http://www.businessdaily...10758-umjilrz/index.html

sparkly
#497 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 10:41:21 AM

[quote=obiero]a company on the edge http://www.businessdaily...0758-umjilrz/index.html[/quote]

Where is the edge?

Quote:
A.M. Best said it expects Kenya Re to continue making good profits over the medium term, supported by mandatory cessions in Kenya’s market, whilst investment returns, which have been exceptionally high in recent years, may come under downward pressure.

Kenya Re’s local concessions, which guarantees the firm 20 per cent of Kenya’s re-insurance premiums, was renewed last year for a further five-year period.

It expects more profit from concessions arising from covering the multibillion marine insurance.
Life is short. Live passionately.
Ebenyo
#498 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 5:11:27 PM

sparkly wrote:
[quote=obiero]a company on the edge http://www.businessdaily...0758-umjilrz/index.html[/quote]

Where is the edge?

Quote:
A.M. Best said it expects Kenya Re to continue making good profits over the medium term, supported by mandatory cessions in Kenya’s market, whilst investment returns, which have been exceptionally high in recent years, may come under downward pressure.

Kenya Re’s local concessions, which guarantees the firm 20 per cent of Kenya’s re-insurance premiums, was renewed last year for a further five-year period.

It expects more profit from concessions arising from covering the multibillion marine insurance.

No problem at all.Just the nature of the re-insurance business!let him give us any near alternative? britam? liberty? sanlam? cic? a big NO at the moment.
Towards the goal of financial freedom
Ericsson
#499 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 11:28:53 PM

“Kenya Re’s operating results during the first nine months of 2016 were ahead of those achieved during the same period of 2015"

In light of Kenya-Re's need for more capital coupled with its almost "dislike" for borrowed funds, I would venture to say that I envisage an issuing of bonus shares. A 2011 deja vu experience might very well be in the offing for the stockholders.
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
VituVingiSana
#500 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 1:05:20 AM

Ericsson wrote:
“Kenya Re’s operating results during the first nine months of 2016 were ahead of those achieved during the same period of 2015"

In light of Kenya-Re's need for more capital coupled with its almost "dislike" for borrowed funds, I would venture to say that I envisage an issuing of bonus shares. A 2011 deja vu experience might very well be in the offing for the stockholders.

Bonus shares add no value but simply a movement of numbers from one line to another.

Solid firm. I wish we had more firms like these and none like those making billions in losses year after year