#461 Posted : Tuesday, January 05, 2016 7:25:11 PM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
Othelo wrote:
Looks like it has defied both resistance and support smile & decided to come back and get wanjiku to board!!!!!

since the release of that insurance report by AKI this share applied some breaks

The stock was driving on empty. A thrilling feeling, but dangerous! :)
Do you mean coz it has been profitable since 2012?

Indeed, uchumi and eapc were 'profitable' too, until the same were restated.. Usione nyani amevaa tie udhani ni binadamu!

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Uchumi and EAPCC are GoK (influenced) firms as is KenRe but as I have said many a time... I trust the MD but I watch it as closely as I can. I remain distrustful of GoK controlled/influenced firms. My CAUTIOUS EXCEPTION is KenRe.

2017 is approaching and the vault at KenRe is full to the brim, with no debt at all.. What happens next??

@Obiero - If the current MD is fired. Or leaves. Or there is a significant change I do not like... I am out of KenRe.
I screwed up with Olympia [I refused to see the signs of theft], KQ [I refused to believe the facts some Wazuans were sharing of declining performance], KK [when the company was going into overdrive expansion & debt], KPLC [when ERC/GoK reneged on the triennial tariff review], etc.

I hope I have learnt enough to say enough is enough & say bye to KenRe. There are some sweet replacements including Britam if the price falls even further. Or move more into another bank eg Equity or buy KCB at the 'right' price.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
obiero
#462 Posted : Tuesday, January 05, 2016 7:56:47 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
Othelo wrote:
Looks like it has defied both resistance and support smile & decided to come back and get wanjiku to board!!!!!

since the release of that insurance report by AKI this share applied some breaks

Indeed, uchumi and eapc were 'profitable' too, until the same were restated.. Usione nyani amevaa tie udhani ni binadamu!

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Uchumi and EAPCC are GoK (influenced) firms as is KenRe but as I have said many a time... I trust the MD but I watch it as closely as I can. I remain distrustful of GoK controlled/influenced firms. My CAUTIOUS EXCEPTION is KenRe.

2017 is approaching and the vault at KenRe is full to the brim, with no debt at all.. What happens next??

@Obiero - If the current MD is fired. Or leaves. Or there is a significant change I do not like... I am out of KenRe.
I screwed up with Olympia [I refused to see the signs of theft], KQ [I refused to believe the facts some Wazuans were sharing of declining performance], KK [when the company was going into overdrive expansion & debt], KPLC [when ERC/GoK reneged on the triennial tariff review], etc.

I hope I have learnt enough to say enough is enough & say bye to KenRe. There are some sweet replacements including Britam if the price falls even further. Or move more into another bank eg Equity or buy KCB at the 'right' price.

Britam ndio baba ya wafisadi.. Afadhali urudi KQ which is now operationally sound

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
VituVingiSana
#463 Posted : Tuesday, January 05, 2016 9:28:15 PM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
Othelo wrote:

Britam ndio baba ya wafisadi.. Afadhali urudi KQ which is now operationally sound

@Obiero - If I could divorce or remove the "Naikuni/Mbugua KQ" from "Mbuvi KQ" then I would look at KQ but that is not currently possible. The 32bn NEGATIVE Equity is a hole that is going to take years to fill. Even if KQ made PAT of 3bn/year I'd have to wait until 2027.

Britam - I am looking at the right [lower] price to enter as long as it meets my other criteria including QUALITY MANAGEMENT.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
murchr
#464 Posted : Monday, June 20, 2016 11:33:31 PM

Goldilocks Reloaded
#465 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2016 2:30:09 PM

This is a good MBUS to ride on. However capital gains on price are hard to come by so needs balls of steel.

Go for a business that any idiot can run – because sooner or later, any idiot is probably going to run it – Peter Lynch
VituVingiSana
#466 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2016 6:50:16 AM

Good for KenRe as more maritime insurance gets placed locally
http://www.businessdaily...84/-/62apjq/-/index.html
MadDoc
#467 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2017 10:41:54 AM

Anyone with clues on the current drop in share price?
obiero
#468 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2017 11:01:47 AM

MadDoc wrote:

The same reason it went up.. Nothing tangible!!

MadDoc
#469 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2017 1:52:52 PM

obiero wrote:
MadDoc wrote:

Laughing out loudly ii yako ni chuki
VituVingiSana
#470 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2017 3:21:47 PM

KenRe is not for those who want fast returns. It's a moneymaker that requires lots of patience. It will not double in 2 years but has a consistent profitability over the medium to long term. Eventually it will be taken over by a strategic investor. Patience is key. Meanwhile enjoy the dividend.
Angelica _ann
#471 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2017 3:57:16 PM

MadDoc wrote:
obiero wrote:
MadDoc wrote:

Anything VVS holds is normal trashed (somehow except Unga Group), if you have been following them.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Ebenyo
#472 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2017 4:46:14 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
KenRe is not for those who want fast returns. It's a moneymaker that requires lots of patience. It will not double in 2 years but has a consistent profitability over the medium to long term. Eventually it will be taken over by a strategic investor. Patience is key. Meanwhile enjoy the dividend.

that is very fine for me
Towards the goal of financial freedom
obiero
#473 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2017 6:04:12 PM

Ebenyo wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

that is very fine for me

At my age I will never hold a stock for over 365 days to get 45cents dividend.. That's an investment strategy which is very close to insanity.. However, the share price gain in late 2016 was remarkable albeit not supported by fundamentals, just hullabaloo

Ericsson
#474 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2017 11:27:24 PM

http://www.businessdaily...785590-1rhj9y/index.html
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
VituVingiSana
#475 Posted : Wednesday, January 25, 2017 1:13:32 AM

Angelica _ann wrote:
MadDoc wrote:
obiero wrote:
MadDoc wrote:

Anything VVS holds is normal trashed (somehow except Unga Group), if you have been following them.

@Angel - As a Warren Buffett fan and follower, I am OK with all the kelele ya chura. After all, I get my dividend regularly and sleep at night without worrying about when the CEO will be fired for poor performance!

Unga - Nick Hutchinson has been around for 5+ years as CEO. Isabella Ocholla-Wilson has been around for a few years too.

KenRe - Mwarania is doing OK and there's no talk of replacing him.

I&M - The "old" CEO [now a director] retired at 65 (or something like that) while the Executive Director (48) still runs the show.

KK - Ohana's 4th year as CEO. Mathenge's 4th year as chairman. Profits rolling in!

I can wait out the downturns in share price as long as the CORE business is doing well enough. I expect all the above to do better in FY 2017 vs FY 2016 except I&M like most banks. Even Unga with a tough year (drought, KES/USD) is expected to do better.

Some smaller holdings like Williamson/Kapchorua will take a hit [drought] but I can wait for the "boom" in 1-2 years.
TPSEA will have a tough time due to the elections [low tourist numbers and construction/rehab of Nairobi Serena] but give it 2 years.
Car & General will suffer in 2017 [KES/USD, elections] but I expect a decent 2018.

Why don't I worry unduly about these firms for now? QUALITY MANAGEMENT...
obiero
#476 Posted : Sunday, January 29, 2017 10:36:51 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
MadDoc wrote:
obiero wrote:
MadDoc wrote:

@Angel - As a Warren Buffett fan and follower, I am OK with all the kelele ya chura. After all, I get my dividend regularly and sleep at night without worrying about when the CEO will be fired for poor performance!

Unga - Nick Hutchinson has been around for 5+ years as CEO. Isabella Ocholla-Wilson has been around for a few years too.

I&M - The "old" CEO [now a director] retired at 65 (or something like that) while the Executive Director (48) still runs the show.

KK - Ohana's 4th year as CEO. Mathenge's 4th year as chairman. Profits rolling in!

I can wait out the downturns in share price as long as the CORE business is doing well enough. I expect all the above to do better in FY 2017 vs FY 2016 except I&M like most banks. Even Unga with a tough year (drought, KES/USD) is expected to do better.

Some smaller holdings like Williamson/Kapchorua will take a hit [drought] but I can wait for the "boom" in 1-2 years.
TPSEA will have a tough time due to the elections [low tourist numbers and construction/rehab of Nairobi Serena] but give it 2 years.
Car & General will suffer in 2017 [KES/USD, elections] but I expect a decent 2018.

Kenya Airways has the highest quality chairman in East & Central Africa.. Revenues unmatched by any other listed lender apart from Safaricom

sparkly
#477 Posted : Sunday, January 29, 2017 11:03:36 AM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
MadDoc wrote:
obiero wrote:
MadDoc wrote:

Kenya Airways has the highest quality chairman in East & Central Africa.. Revenues unmatched by any other listed lender apart from Safaricom

Losses are also unmatched Sad
Life is short. Live passionately.
obiero
#478 Posted : Sunday, January 29, 2017 11:22:07 AM

sparkly wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
MadDoc wrote:
obiero wrote:
MadDoc wrote:

There are several smaller companies making unimaginable losses on scale basis .. It's just that the size of KQ makes its losses appear larger than life

Spikes
#479 Posted : Sunday, January 29, 2017 12:39:37 PM

obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
MadDoc wrote:
obiero wrote:
MadDoc wrote:

There are several smaller companies making unimaginable losses on scale basis .. It's just that the size of KQ makes its losses appear larger than life

@Obiero teaching us pure math. ...I like your analysis. ..It is true...bro keep the spirit burning. ..
John 5:17 But Jesus replied, “My Father is always working, and so am I.”
obiero
#480 Posted : Sunday, January 29, 2017 1:05:09 PM

Spikes wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
MadDoc wrote:
obiero wrote:
MadDoc wrote:

@Obiero teaching us pure math. ...I like your analysis. ..It is true...bro keep the spirit burning. ..

@spikes in all honesty, if KQ were to make a loss of let's say KES 390M like HAFR, would we consider it a big loss?? the answer is known to all