wazua Fri, May 17, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

30 Pages«<2122232425>»
Kenya Re - what gives?
enyands
#441 Posted : Thursday, December 24, 2015 6:11:22 AM

@vvs aren't you the same guy who warned people of being careful of govt owned stock? How come hapa you are like the way some politicians say unakaa kama melon.outside you are green but inside you are red
VituVingiSana
#442 Posted : Thursday, December 24, 2015 9:50:33 AM

enyands wrote:
@vvs aren't you the same guy who warned people of being careful of govt owned stock? How come hapa you are like the way some politicians say unakaa kama melon.outside you are green but inside you are red

Sigh, kusoma ni bure. You should try it some time.

YES, be CAREFUL of GoK controlled firms.

As I have said many, many, many times said I have made an exception for KenRe thanks to:

1) The nature of the business [outright theft is harder for a Reinsurance business than say Uchumi/KenGen/KPLC/KQ]. The business has little in terms of procurement [unlike KQ/Uchumi/KenGen/KPLC]. It's investments are mostly a few large properties [already built] and Bonds [Few avenues of corruption]. The business is watched closely by other insurance firms who are mandated to reinsure with KenRe keeping fraud at low levels. It has competition [unlike KenGen/KPLC] so it cannot undercut nor overcharge like crazy.

2) The CEO. I like him & think he is a decent fellow. That said, I will not hold KenRe as a LIFETIME holding coz the CEO will eventually be replaced or retire. I will enjoy the good run while he is CEO. If he leaves, I will likely sell unless the new CEO seems 'clean' too.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
enyands
#443 Posted : Thursday, December 24, 2015 10:03:14 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
enyands wrote:

As I have said many, many, many times said I have made an exception for KenRe thanks to:

1) The nature of the business [outright theft is harder for a Reinsurance business than say Uchumi/KenGen/KPLC/KQ]. The business has little in terms of procurement [unlike KQ/Uchumi/KenGen/KPLC]. It's investments are mostly a few large properties [already built] and Bonds [Few avenues of corruption]. The business is watched closely by other insurance firms who are mandated to reinsure with KenRe keeping fraud at low levels. It has competition [unlike KenGen/KPLC] so it cannot undercut nor overcharge like crazy.

2) The CEO. I like him & think he is a decent fellow. That said, I will not hold KenRe as a LIFETIME holding coz the CEO will eventually be replaced or retire. I will enjoy the good run while he is CEO. If he leaves, I will likely sell unless the new CEO seems 'clean' too.

Now this makes sense. Anyway you know how it goes, when he will stand in the way of hyenas they will get rid of him fast. Let's pray he stays longer together with the cbk guy.i like that guy
VituVingiSana
#444 Posted : Thursday, December 24, 2015 10:35:20 AM

enyands wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
enyands wrote:

Now this makes sense. Anyway you know how it goes, when he will stand in the way of hyenas they will get rid of him fast. Let's pray he stays longer together with the cbk guy.i like that guy

That's why I have said over & over & over again that GoK firms may look to be good buys BUT not for me. I have been burnt eg KQ & KPLC. The current exception [KenRe] is a firm I watch very, very closely. Uchumi was run very profitable by the brilliant Suresh Shah. Then came the succession of crooks who wiped out all the goodwill & profits Suresh Shah made as CEO.

Warren Buffett says, invest in a firm an idiot can run coz one day one will. [It was a larger discussion around moats. KenRe currently has a huge moat including the mandatory cessation, capital, bi-lateral agreements that favor it and a brand name. These advantages can be destroyed as well.]

If the hyenas get to the current CEO, I will bail out even if I make a loss. I will not fight them. Look at KQ, (old) KCB, NBK, etc.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
enyands
#445 Posted : Thursday, December 24, 2015 6:32:52 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
enyands wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
enyands wrote:

That's why I have said over & over & over again that GoK firms may look to be good buys BUT not for me. I have been burnt eg KQ & KPLC. The current exception [KenRe] is a firm I watch very, very closely. Uchumi was run very profitable by the brilliant Suresh Shah. Then came the succession of crooks who wiped out all the goodwill & profits Suresh Shah made as CEO.

Warren Buffett says, invest in a firm an idiot can run coz one day one will. [It was a larger discussion around moats. KenRe currently has a huge moat including the mandatory cessation, capital, bi-lateral agreements that favor it and a brand name. These advantages can be destroyed as well.]

If the hyenas get to the current CEO, I will bail out even if I make a loss. I will not fight them. Look at KQ, (old) KCB, NBK, etc.

Good food for thought
guru267
#446 Posted : Monday, December 28, 2015 1:41:35 PM

The resistance being shown at 22 bob is quite strong! Sad Sad
Mark 12:29
Deuteronomy 4:16
VituVingiSana
#447 Posted : Monday, December 28, 2015 1:52:19 PM

guru267 wrote:

Forget 22/-. There are some on offer at 20.50 as of 1.52pm.
Ericsson
#448 Posted : Monday, December 28, 2015 1:53:33 PM

For this counter going below 21 is a hard nut to crack.
Resistance ya line 1.2KV iko at 21
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Ericsson
#449 Posted : Monday, December 28, 2015 3:19:11 PM

Resistance been slowly broken;today it may close at 20.75
winmak
#450 Posted : Monday, December 28, 2015 5:46:48 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
enyands wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
enyands wrote:

By extension, I will buy KenRe and watch VVS closely...

For investors as a whole, returns decrease as motion increases ~ WB
guru267
#451 Posted : Tuesday, December 29, 2015 1:30:03 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
guru267 wrote:

I think we are confusing "support" with "resistance"

Support = 20-21
Resistance = 22-22.5
Mark 12:29
Deuteronomy 4:16
sparkly
#452 Posted : Tuesday, December 29, 2015 2:57:30 PM

guru267 wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
guru267 wrote:

I think we are confusing "support" with "resistance"

Support = 20-21
Resistance = 22-22.5

Support=Resistance depending on direction of price movement smile

Life is short. Live passionately.
Othelo
#453 Posted : Tuesday, January 05, 2016 9:44:42 AM

Looks like it has defied both resistance and support smile & decided to come back and get wanjiku to board!!!!!
Formal education will make you a living. Self-education will make you a fortune - Jim Rohn.
Ericsson
#454 Posted : Tuesday, January 05, 2016 9:55:25 AM

There are no supplies at the price being dispayed i.e 19.20.As the day moves on price will adjust itself upwards to the ranges of 20.50-20.75 where supply matches demand.
mlennyma
#455 Posted : Tuesday, January 05, 2016 10:01:28 AM

Othelo wrote:
Looks like it has defied both resistance and support smile & decided to come back and get wanjiku to board!!!!!

since the release of that insurance report by AKI this share applied some breaks
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
obiero
#456 Posted : Tuesday, January 05, 2016 1:24:44 PM

mlennyma wrote:
Othelo wrote:

since the release of that insurance report by AKI this share applied some breaks

The stock was driving on empty. A thrilling feeling, but dangerous! :)

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
VituVingiSana
#457 Posted : Tuesday, January 05, 2016 3:51:31 PM

obiero wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
Othelo wrote:

Do you mean coz it has been profitable since 2012?
obiero
#458 Posted : Tuesday, January 05, 2016 5:53:31 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
Othelo wrote:

Indeed, uchumi and eapc were 'profitable' too, until the same were restated.. Usione nyani amevaa tie udhani ni binadamu!

VituVingiSana
#459 Posted : Tuesday, January 05, 2016 6:44:18 PM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
Othelo wrote:

Indeed, uchumi and eapc were 'profitable' too, until the same were restated.. Usione nyani amevaa tie udhani ni binadamu!

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Uchumi and EAPCC are GoK (influenced) firms as is KenRe but as I have said many a time... I trust the MD but I watch it as closely as I can. I remain distrustful of GoK controlled/influenced firms. My CAUTIOUS EXCEPTION is KenRe.
obiero
#460 Posted : Tuesday, January 05, 2016 7:13:23 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
Othelo wrote:

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Uchumi and EAPCC are GoK (influenced) firms as is KenRe but as I have said many a time... I trust the MD but I watch it as closely as I can. I remain distrustful of GoK controlled/influenced firms. My CAUTIOUS EXCEPTION is KenRe.

2017 is approaching and the vault at KenRe is full to the brim, with no debt at all.. What happens next??