Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages«<456
Bikozulu. . . and the very best of kenyan bloggers
harrydre
#101 Posted : Thursday, November 02, 2017 4:38:22 AM

masukuma
#102 Posted : Thursday, November 02, 2017 12:28:36 PM

radio wrote:

This story left me very conflicted... I don't know how to think about life, God, and et al.

Immediately, I read the story, I wished I had not.

But in retrospect, I think there somethings we, humans, Will never ever understand

This is just 1 story of 1 family... try to think and empathize the same over thousands that have had the same fate? the pain... anguish... dehumanised.. sometimes we call these 'people' who do such acts 'ANIMALS' - What beast do we know is capable of such acts to members of it's own species? a lion? the hated hyena? an elephant? none! it's indeed a human thing! there is so much suffering on this planet... I read about a time the SPLA of south sudan were getting paid in rape... coz the gava did not have money. Sad Sometimes humanity disappoints me Sad
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
radio
#103 Posted : Thursday, November 02, 2017 1:01:24 PM

masukuma wrote:
radio wrote:

This story left me very conflicted... I don't know how to think about life, God, and et al.

Immediately, I read the story, I wished I had not.

But in retrospect, I think there somethings we, humans, Will never ever understand

This is just 1 story of 1 family... try to think and empathize the same over thousands that have had the same fate? the pain... anguish... dehumanised.. sometimes we call these 'people' who do such acts 'ANIMALS' - What beast do we know is capable of such acts to members of it's own species? a lion? the hated hyena? an elephant? none! it's indeed a human thing! there is so much suffering on this planet... I read about a time the SPLA of south sudan were getting paid in rape... coz the gava did not have money. Sad Sometimes humanity disappoints me Sad

The worst I've seen animals do, is a lion kill the kids of another male primarily for dominance purposes... at least it didn't roast and eat them

Like you said, it's indeed a human thing. How they can degenerate to such levels I don't understand
mkeiy
#104 Posted : Thursday, November 02, 2017 2:19:41 PM

harrydre wrote:
Truly a sad story. Leaves you wondering if indeed there is God.

Why can't the african governments join forces and comb these forests off these animals. Where are the so called statesmen?

Fruits of extreme hatred.

@harrydre.
Don't wonder about God's existence. He does.
In Genesis, God created man to do three things.
1. Be fruitful(to be pure, clean from sin).
2. Multiply (kuzaana).
3. Have dominion over creation.

Man has failed miserably on the first and third.

What that lady and thousands have gone through is a culmination of a long series of dehumanization. Hate doesn't just happen. It's planted and nurtured. In the begining, one stops being 'NICE' becomes too proud and rude. Arrogant.Dominate, subdue,dehumanize. The one dehumanized and subdued, gets to a point,loses humanity. Sees the proud arrogant one as inhumane.The victims and the perpetrators don't see each other as humans. Animals, is what they see each other as. Then it gets to the level of those Congolese. You wonder what Banyamulenges did to deserve such hatred?

But then again. When @Masukuma tells people to be nice to all here in Wazua, he's told people are proud and unapologetic. Creating hatred instead of affection. As much as it's their right.

A lesson from the Chinese.

*Quarrel Destroys Mankind*

A farmer in ancient China had a neighbour who was a hunter, and who owned ferocious and poorly trained hunting dogs.

They jumped over the fence frequently and chased the farmer's lambs. The farmer asked his neighbour to keep his dogs in check, but this fell on deaf ears.

One day the dogs again jumped the fence, attacked and severely injured several of the lambs.

The farmer had enough of his neighbours negligence. He ‎went to town to consult a judge who listened carefully to the story and said: "I could punish the hunter and ‎ instruct him to keep his dogs chained or lock them up. But you would lose a friend and gain an enemy. Which would you rather have, friend or foe for a neighbour?"

The farmer replied that he preferred a friend. “Alright, I will offer you a solution that keeps your lambs safe, and which will keep your neighbour as a friend."

Having heard the judge's solution, the farmer agreed. Once at home, the farmer immediately put the judge's suggestions to the test.

He took three of his best lambs and presented them to his neighbour's three small sons, who were overjoyed to receive such lovely pets and began to play with them.

To protect his sons newly acquired playthings, the hunter built a strong kennel for his dogs. Since then, the dogs never again bothered the farmer's lambs.

Out of gratitude for the farmer's generosity toward his sons, the hunter often shared the game he had hunted with the farmer.

The farmer reciprocated by sending the hunter, lamb meat and cheese he had made. Within a short time the neighbours became good friends.

A saying in old China went something like this, “One can win over and influence people the best with gestures of kindness and compassion.”

Quarrels and bad feelings destroy mankind. Being nice,pays”

Are we all nice to each other here in Wazua? No one likes a bad neighbor.
God doesn't like a bad neighbor either.
FRM2011
#105 Posted : Thursday, November 02, 2017 3:02:29 PM

[/quote]
Sometimes humanity disappoints me Sad [/quote]

I am 100% sure you have read the banality of evil theory. Those mai mai rebels are not animals. They are ordinary human beings who have let the demon inside them run amok.

The available literature on Rwanda genocide left me speechless. Some of the worst atrocities were committed by women. Modern, widely traveled and foreign-educated women. This below is from another thread.

1. Pauline Nyiramasuhuko - Min of Family Affairs and Women’s Development
2. Agnes Ntamabyariro - Minister of Justice
3. Sister Gertrude Mukangango and Sister Julienne Kizito of the Sovu Monastery.

Pauline would order the interahamwe who included her own son to rape their victims first before killing them.

At the Kivu monastery, hundreds of Tutsis who had sought refuge there were killed by the interahamwe. The killers were tired and wanted to leave. But sister Gertrude asked them to wait as she searched all possible hiding places in the monastery. She found about 20 more Tutsis. Including a mother holding her two babies. She pulled them out for the interahamwe to finish the job.

Felicitee` Semakuba deserves special mention . She was pregnant during the genocide but her sadism shocked even the ICTR judges. In one instance, her victims were too many she would kill hundreds of them with bullets and grenades until she got exhausted. She could go back home and come again the following morning to continue. It lasted three days.

Psychologists confirmed she had no mental illness. She was an average person. Incentivized by the genocide. There is a latent Nazi or interhamwe in each one of us. A demon that must never come out.

Kusadikika
#106 Posted : Thursday, November 02, 2017 4:01:14 PM

This is a description of Americans during WW2 against the Japanese. When these Americans went back home they were presented with medals and called war heroes.

Eugene Sledge relates a few instances of fellow Marines extracting gold teeth from the Japanese, including one from an enemy soldier who was still alive.

But the Japanese wasn't dead. He had been wounded severely in the back and couldn't move his arms; otherwise he would have resisted to his last breath. The Japanese's mouth glowed with huge gold-crowned teeth, and his captor wanted them. He put the point of his kabar [combat knife] on the base of a tooth and hit the handle with the palm of his hand. Because the Japanese was kicking his feet and thrashing about, the knife point glanced off the tooth and sank deeply into the victim's mouth. The Marine cursed him and with a slash cut his cheeks open to each ear. He put his foot on the sufferer's lower jaw and tried again. Blood poured out of the soldier's mouth. He made a gurgling noise and thrashed wildly. I shouted, “Put the man out of his misery.” All I got for an answer was a cussing out. Another Marine ran up, put a bullet in the enemy soldier's brain, and ended his agony. The scavenger grumbled and continued extracting his prizes undisturbed.[8]
obiero
#107 Posted : Thursday, November 02, 2017 11:12:50 PM

mkeiy wrote:
harrydre wrote:
Truly a sad story. Leaves you wondering if indeed there is God.

Why can't the african governments join forces and comb these forests off these animals. Where are the so called statesmen?

Fruits of extreme hatred.

@harrydre.
Don't wonder about God's existence. He does.
In Genesis, God created man to do three things.
1. Be fruitful(to be pure, clean from sin).
2. Multiply (kuzaana).
3. Have dominion over creation.

Man has failed miserably on the first and third.

What that lady and thousands have gone through is a culmination of a long series of dehumanization. Hate doesn't just happen. It's planted and nurtured. In the begining, one stops being 'NICE' becomes too proud and rude. Arrogant.Dominate, subdue,dehumanize. The one dehumanized and subdued, gets to a point,loses humanity. Sees the proud arrogant one as inhumane.The victims and the perpetrators don't see each other as humans. Animals, is what they see each other as. Then it gets to the level of those Congolese. You wonder what Banyamulenges did to deserve such hatred?

But then again. When @Masukuma tells people to be nice to all here in Wazua, he's told people are proud and unapologetic. Creating hatred instead of affection. As much as it's their right.

A lesson from the Chinese.

*Quarrel Destroys Mankind*

A farmer in ancient China had a neighbour who was a hunter, and who owned ferocious and poorly trained hunting dogs.

They jumped over the fence frequently and chased the farmer's lambs. The farmer asked his neighbour to keep his dogs in check, but this fell on deaf ears.

One day the dogs again jumped the fence, attacked and severely injured several of the lambs.

The farmer had enough of his neighbours negligence. He ‎went to town to consult a judge who listened carefully to the story and said: "I could punish the hunter and ‎ instruct him to keep his dogs chained or lock them up. But you would lose a friend and gain an enemy. Which would you rather have, friend or foe for a neighbour?"

The farmer replied that he preferred a friend. “Alright, I will offer you a solution that keeps your lambs safe, and which will keep your neighbour as a friend."

Having heard the judge's solution, the farmer agreed. Once at home, the farmer immediately put the judge's suggestions to the test.

He took three of his best lambs and presented them to his neighbour's three small sons, who were overjoyed to receive such lovely pets and began to play with them.

To protect his sons newly acquired playthings, the hunter built a strong kennel for his dogs. Since then, the dogs never again bothered the farmer's lambs.

Out of gratitude for the farmer's generosity toward his sons, the hunter often shared the game he had hunted with the farmer.

The farmer reciprocated by sending the hunter, lamb meat and cheese he had made. Within a short time the neighbours became good friends.

A saying in old China went something like this, “One can win over and influence people the best with gestures of kindness and compassion.”

Quarrels and bad feelings destroy mankind. Being nice,pays”

Are we all nice to each other here in Wazua? No one likes a bad neighbor.
God doesn't like a bad neighbor either.

Amen

HF 428,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
Uram
#108 Posted : Friday, November 03, 2017 12:13:27 AM

Kenya 07/08 PEV had even worse stories. Check out the Waki report. Here is one horrific narration;

Quote:
On 1 January 2008, 36 years old Elizabeth W. and her husband were attacked in their
house in Eldama Ravine by a group of Kalenjin, some of whom she knew. She was gang
raped while her husband was being hacked to death and her shop looted. Following is an
extract of her testimony:
On 1 January 2008 we were still fearful.
We didn’t open our business. I worked
at the Eldama Ravine shopping centre at Mama Faith’s Shop. We owned the shop. It
was just next to my house – they are joined together. But I stayed at home that day
because I was scared. We left the shop locked up.
At about 3pm that day, people came to my home. At the time there was only my
husband and me at home. My children had gone to visit their grandparents in
Nyandarua. There were more than ten people who came. They were all men. They were
dressed in coats and they had smeared mud on their faces so you could not recognize
them. The mud was different colors on their faces – white back and red in spots --
patches all over their faces. They were armed. They had arrows, pangas and rungus.
The first I knew they were there was when I heard talking and noises outside.
They were speaking in Kalenjin. They said “we have come to finish you”. The door was
not locked so they just came inside. My husband and I were in the sitting room. We
were sitting down but stood
up when the men came in.
When they came in I started pleading with them because of what I had heard
them saying outside. I told them why were they doing this when we had lived with them.
They ordered me to shut up and said that the Kikuyu had migrated to the area and
taken up their (the Kalenjin’s) property. They said I should keep quiet or they were going
to kill me. So I just kept quiet then.That is when they started attacking my husband. They were cutting him with
pangas and piercing him with arrows. They
were struggling with my husband and trying
to get him to the ground. The men were crowdi
ng on him – it might have been most of
them attacking my husband. I was scared. They cut my husband on the neck with a
panga and that made him fall to the ground. It
was a serious blow. After that they were
cutting every part of his body.
After my husband was cut, but before he died, one of the men came towards me
and asked me what I wanted to be done to me
. I asked them not to kill me. One said we
need to know what she is like, now that she never talks to us.
There was another group of men who were looting my shop. I could see them
from the door – it was still open. They were going past carrying property from my shop,
such as sugar, cooking fat and other goods.
I was wearing trousers with buttons at the waist. The men tore at my trousers
trying to get them open and the buttons came off. There were about four of them there
doing this to me at that time. They lifted me up and put me on the ground. They were
arguing among themselves who was going to be first. Then one said that if I escaped
from the knife and arrows, I would die of AIDS. Some of them held my legs and some
held my hands while they raped me. When this was happening my husband and I were
both still in the sitting room, but by now
I was not watching my husband but pleading
my own case. The last time I had looked, it was like he was dead. He wasn’t moving.
One man raped me and then the second one and the third. They put their
penises in my vagina. It was either the second or the third man who said they were not
able to get in me properly so they cut me. I think it was the panga they were carrying
that they used. They cut my vagina. When I had my children, the Doctor told me I had a
narrow opening. Both my children were born by caesarean.
They continued raping me. It was when
the fourth man was raping me that I
went unconscious...I next remember – and it is vague – that a Kalenjin friend of ours
called Joseph was there and he was pleading with the men. He was asking them for him
to be allowed to take the body of my husb
and and take me to hospital. The men started
quarrelling with him and told him that he wa
s in partnership with us. They threatened
to kill him.[...]
harrydre
#109 Posted : Monday, November 27, 2017 11:08:09 PM

I will drop this here. This guy too can write. Enjoy!

http://owaahh.com/former...nken-rampage-in-nairobi/
i.am.back!!!!
mawinder
#110 Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2017 11:36:49 AM

Uram wrote:
Kenya 07/08 PEV had even worse stories. Check out the Waki report. Here is one horrific narration;

Quote:
On 1 January 2008, 36 years old Elizabeth W. and her husband were attacked in their
house in Eldama Ravine by a group of Kalenjin, some of whom she knew. She was gang
raped while her husband was being hacked to death and her shop looted. Following is an
at the Eldama Ravine shopping centre at Mama Faith’s Shop. We owned the shop. It
was just next to my house – they are joined together. But I stayed at home that day
Nyandarua. There were more than ten people who came. They were all men. They were
dressed in coats and they had smeared mud on their faces so you could not recognize
them. The mud was different colors on their faces – white back and red in spots --
patches all over their faces. They were armed. They had arrows, pangas and rungus.
They were speaking in Kalenjin. They said “we have come to finish you”. The door was
not locked so they just came inside. My husband and I were in the sitting room. We
up when the men came in.
them saying outside. I told them why were they doing this when we had lived with them.
They ordered me to shut up and said that the Kikuyu had migrated to the area and
taken up their (the Kalenjin’s) property. They said I should keep quiet or they were going
to kill me. So I just kept quiet then.That is when they started attacking my husband. They were cutting him with
from the door – it was still open. They were going past carrying property from my shop,
trying to get them open and the buttons came off. There were about four of them there
doing this to me at that time. They lifted me up and put me on the ground. They were
arguing among themselves who was going to be first. Then one said that if I escaped
from the knife and arrows, I would die of AIDS. Some of them held my legs and some
held my hands while they raped me. When this was happening my husband and I were
my own case. The last time I had looked, it was like he was dead. He wasn’t moving.
penises in my vagina. It was either the second or the third man who said they were not
able to get in me properly so they cut me. I think it was the panga they were carrying
that they used. They cut my vagina. When I had my children, the Doctor told me I had a
went unconscious...I next remember – and it is vague – that a Kalenjin friend of ours
called Joseph was there and he was pleading with the men. He was asking them for him
to kill him.[...]

So sad and thinking of Kiambaa massacre and some are now in leadership eg Mwizi..
kaka2za
#111 Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2017 12:46:21 PM

mawinder wrote:
Uram wrote:

Quote:
up when the men came in.
to kill him.[...]

So sad and thinking of Kiambaa massacre and some are now in leadership eg Mwizi..

We are not any better. We are just tamed by circumstances.Let loose,we can be more savage than hyeanas
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)
masukuma
#112 Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2017 1:13:49 PM

kaka2za wrote:
mawinder wrote:
Uram wrote:

Quote:
up when the men came in.
to kill him.[...]

We are not any better. We are just tamed by circumstances.Let loose,we can be more savage than hyeanas

WTF is this on Biko Zulu's thread?
kaka2za
#113 Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2017 3:31:52 PM

masukuma wrote:
kaka2za wrote:
mawinder wrote:
Uram wrote:

Quote:
up when the men came in.
to kill him.[...]

You must have missed the refugee story about atrocities in the DRC
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)
Buster
#114 Posted : Friday, December 01, 2017 8:29:42 PM

kaka2za wrote:
masukuma wrote:
kaka2za wrote:
mawinder wrote:
Uram wrote:

Quote:
up when the men came in.
to kill him.[...]

You must have missed the refugee story about atrocities in the DRC

Waah!! DRC! I read it some time back. Kwanza the way he starts the story... 'What does human flesh taste like?'
harrydre
#115 Posted : Saturday, March 03, 2018 4:53:47 PM

By JACKSON BIKO

More by this Author
IN SUMMARY

I was leaving my local bar shortly after 11:30pm; he was waiting for someone to move his car to allow him to leave.
I remember that he was leaning on the hood of the other person’s car, a Land Rover Defender, his phone pressed against his ear.
As I passed I waved but he held one finger up for me to wait a sec as he wound up on the call, so I hung around. He finished and we hugged.
Advertisement

I ran into some chap I know at an Indian shop in Parklands where I was buying a screen protector. My screen looked like it had stopped a rubber bullet.

After niceties I asked him how another mutual friend he is close with was doing and he said, “Well, he was buried last week.” I thought I heard him wrong. I said, “What do you mean he was buried last week?” He said, “He died. Two weeks ago.” I said, “No way. I saw him two weeks ago!” He asked where. I said in the bar, at the parking lot. So we forgot the stupid screen protector I was buying and we narrowed down the day! I was like, “My goodness, he died that same night I saw him do you know what time he died?” He said sometime in the night.

I was leaving my local bar shortly after 11:30pm; he was waiting for someone to move his car to allow him to leave. I remember that he was leaning on the hood of the other person’s car, a Land Rover Defender, his phone pressed against his ear. As I passed I waved but he held one finger up for me to wait a sec as he wound up on the call, so I hung around. He finished and we hugged. I could tell that he had had a great deal to drink because his tongue was heavy, he slurred and his face was shiny, and he had those foolish droopy eyes we all sport after a few and one side of his shirt was untucked and I he kept calling me, “Zulu man.” I hung around and we chatted as we waited for the gentleman to come move his car.

He was funny. I was funny. Everybody is relatively funny when they have had one to drink. We both laughed at each other’s jokes. Mine were obviously funnier because my tongue wasn’t as heavy, so they came faster. Just idle banter. I distinctly remember this night because the person who came to move their car turned out to be a lady. I might not have remembered this night in its detail because had the person who came to move their car was a man. I remember it because we had a moment of shared unspoken chauvinism; we were both taken aback that the owner was female.

'BEASTLY CAR'

RELATED CONTENT
MANTALK: Knight in shining armour
I remember him telling her something like, “You are driving a beastly car, you know that, lovely girl?” And the lady, a slim chocolate girl wearing blue faded jeans torn at the thigh area seemed used to men like us, so she said something and climbed into the car. “Probably her boyfriend’s car,” he said as we watched her bring the car to life. “Yes, nobody drives a Defender in those jeans and that red lipstick,” I said. We said goodbye, I might have told him to drive safe. I walked to my car as he drove off and the Defender lady reversed into the empty parking slot.

I was told he rammed into a tree and crushed his lungs and heart. Maybe they exploded. Maybe he screamed at that final moment. Maybe he thought of his children, or mother. My pal told me the front of his car was completely wrecked. The tree survived. It’s still in the same spot, that tree, waiting for the next drunk driver with kids to leave behind.

I couldn’t believe it. I didn’t know this guy well, never once drunk with him or had lunch with him, but to think that I saw him the night he died just messed up my head. I thought of him for the next day two days. All the time. I would be interviewing someone and my mind would drift to him. I’d stop writing a sentence midway and think of him and that last night I ran into him. He must have been hours from death that time if he passed by another bar for one drink, or literally under an hour away from death if he headed home straight. Death is always with us. Lurking. Waiting.

My next feeling was of guilt. I knew he was drunk and I knew he was in no position to drive safely but I didn’t say anything. Maybe it wouldn’t have changed his date with death, maybe it would have, but all I had to do is say, “Boss, maybe you shouldn’t drive like that,” whether he takes my advice or not. But I didn’t. Maybe I should have. It might have made a difference. His children might have grown up with their father. His wife might not have had to start off a single mother, struggling with the son at teenage. At some point, to console myself, I said this thing was already written, he was going to die anywhere. I was a nobody to stop fate. Who was I? But still.

There is a lesson here, at least for me. Don’t let anyone get behind the wheel when drunk. I think it’s a collective responsibility. Stop them. Stop them for themselves, stop them for their mothers and siblings and for their children and for their wives. Stop them for people they owe money and people they make happy. Stop them for other road users who are sober. Sometimes other road users with children in their car. Stop them for themselves. The worst they can say is no and if they do then you will have done your part.
i.am.back!!!!
obiero
#116 Posted : Saturday, March 03, 2018 7:43:49 PM

harrydre wrote:
By JACKSON BIKO

More by this Author
IN SUMMARY

I was leaving my local bar shortly after 11:30pm; he was waiting for someone to move his car to allow him to leave.
I remember that he was leaning on the hood of the other person’s car, a Land Rover Defender, his phone pressed against his ear.
As I passed I waved but he held one finger up for me to wait a sec as he wound up on the call, so I hung around. He finished and we hugged.
Advertisement

I ran into some chap I know at an Indian shop in Parklands where I was buying a screen protector. My screen looked like it had stopped a rubber bullet.

After niceties I asked him how another mutual friend he is close with was doing and he said, “Well, he was buried last week.” I thought I heard him wrong. I said, “What do you mean he was buried last week?” He said, “He died. Two weeks ago.” I said, “No way. I saw him two weeks ago!” He asked where. I said in the bar, at the parking lot. So we forgot the stupid screen protector I was buying and we narrowed down the day! I was like, “My goodness, he died that same night I saw him do you know what time he died?” He said sometime in the night.

I was leaving my local bar shortly after 11:30pm; he was waiting for someone to move his car to allow him to leave. I remember that he was leaning on the hood of the other person’s car, a Land Rover Defender, his phone pressed against his ear. As I passed I waved but he held one finger up for me to wait a sec as he wound up on the call, so I hung around. He finished and we hugged. I could tell that he had had a great deal to drink because his tongue was heavy, he slurred and his face was shiny, and he had those foolish droopy eyes we all sport after a few and one side of his shirt was untucked and I he kept calling me, “Zulu man.” I hung around and we chatted as we waited for the gentleman to come move his car.

He was funny. I was funny. Everybody is relatively funny when they have had one to drink. We both laughed at each other’s jokes. Mine were obviously funnier because my tongue wasn’t as heavy, so they came faster. Just idle banter. I distinctly remember this night because the person who came to move their car turned out to be a lady. I might not have remembered this night in its detail because had the person who came to move their car was a man. I remember it because we had a moment of shared unspoken chauvinism; we were both taken aback that the owner was female.

'BEASTLY CAR'

RELATED CONTENT
MANTALK: Knight in shining armour
I remember him telling her something like, “You are driving a beastly car, you know that, lovely girl?” And the lady, a slim chocolate girl wearing blue faded jeans torn at the thigh area seemed used to men like us, so she said something and climbed into the car. “Probably her boyfriend’s car,” he said as we watched her bring the car to life. “Yes, nobody drives a Defender in those jeans and that red lipstick,” I said. We said goodbye, I might have told him to drive safe. I walked to my car as he drove off and the Defender lady reversed into the empty parking slot.

I was told he rammed into a tree and crushed his lungs and heart. Maybe they exploded. Maybe he screamed at that final moment. Maybe he thought of his children, or mother. My pal told me the front of his car was completely wrecked. The tree survived. It’s still in the same spot, that tree, waiting for the next drunk driver with kids to leave behind.

I couldn’t believe it. I didn’t know this guy well, never once drunk with him or had lunch with him, but to think that I saw him the night he died just messed up my head. I thought of him for the next day two days. All the time. I would be interviewing someone and my mind would drift to him. I’d stop writing a sentence midway and think of him and that last night I ran into him. He must have been hours from death that time if he passed by another bar for one drink, or literally under an hour away from death if he headed home straight. Death is always with us. Lurking. Waiting.

My next feeling was of guilt. I knew he was drunk and I knew he was in no position to drive safely but I didn’t say anything. Maybe it wouldn’t have changed his date with death, maybe it would have, but all I had to do is say, “Boss, maybe you shouldn’t drive like that,” whether he takes my advice or not. But I didn’t. Maybe I should have. It might have made a difference. His children might have grown up with their father. His wife might not have had to start off a single mother, struggling with the son at teenage. At some point, to console myself, I said this thing was already written, he was going to die anywhere. I was a nobody to stop fate. Who was I? But still.

There is a lesson here, at least for me. Don’t let anyone get behind the wheel when drunk. I think it’s a collective responsibility. Stop them. Stop them for themselves, stop them for their mothers and siblings and for their children and for their wives. Stop them for people they owe money and people they make happy. Stop them for other road users who are sober. Sometimes other road users with children in their car. Stop them for themselves. The worst they can say is no and if they do then you will have done your part.

Moving

HF 428,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
Thitifini
#117 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2020 9:18:26 PM

Biko is also good with fiction. Good story to reflect on mass psychology: how us and our politicians think...

The Griots Daughter

60% Learning, 30% synthesizing, 10% Debating
masukuma
#118 Posted : Monday, August 02, 2021 10:07:26 AM

masukuma wrote:
Swenani wrote:
Euge wrote:
Siringi wrote:
Lets-bury-a-kikuyuLaughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly these people

wapi @njunge

This guy got it soooo right. Its hilarious. I have read it twice and laughed very loudly each time.
Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Laughing out loudly

Quote:
Then I noticed that they don’t open the casket. The body is only viewed at the morgue and once they shut it, that’s it folks. They will only view the body in shags by special request from those who didn’t view it at the morgue. They might as well be burying Bugs Bunny in that coffin for all they care. Us, we open the damned thing up, because we have to confirm if you are being buried in decent shoes.

i decided to read it tonight - I laughed out at a dinner table in a restaurant somewhere south of the sahara. I didn't care! by the way ... WHAT'S WITH THE HATS? SIKUWAHI PEWA HIYO MEMO BUT I SEE MOST OF MY RELAZ AND THEIR RELAZ DONNING SOME. BROWN HATS...
it had a few self reflection sombre points - we really move on quick. could it explain the fact that most kyuks are either fervent christians or drunkards? we may need a shrink. by the way - that "crying on the inside" stuff is real! no one except small babies and people who had not been there for the matangaz shed tears (I have shed my own share of tears but away from the public eye). I loved the article.

by the way - the photos question? what I have obsevered is that the closest kin of the deceased keep them -hutapata yako! they have videos as well. when people visit you are given a whole bunch of albums and there is a discussion as you wait for food to cook. funeral photos are also taken coz they are like the surest way of getting to know who your 3rd cousin on your mother's side is. you get to meet many people with your names or variations of your names. photos of these people are kept.

I just remembered this conversation... I have started donning a brown fedora Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
mkenyan
#119 Posted : Friday, August 06, 2021 8:48:24 AM

masukuma wrote:
masukuma wrote:
Swenani wrote:
Euge wrote:
Siringi wrote:
Lets-bury-a-kikuyuLaughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly these people

wapi @njunge

This guy got it soooo right. Its hilarious. I have read it twice and laughed very loudly each time.
Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Laughing out loudly

Quote:
Then I noticed that they don’t open the casket. The body is only viewed at the morgue and once they shut it, that’s it folks. They will only view the body in shags by special request from those who didn’t view it at the morgue. They might as well be burying Bugs Bunny in that coffin for all they care. Us, we open the damned thing up, because we have to confirm if you are being buried in decent shoes.

i decided to read it tonight - I laughed out at a dinner table in a restaurant somewhere south of the sahara. I didn't care! by the way ... WHAT'S WITH THE HATS? SIKUWAHI PEWA HIYO MEMO BUT I SEE MOST OF MY RELAZ AND THEIR RELAZ DONNING SOME. BROWN HATS...
it had a few self reflection sombre points - we really move on quick. could it explain the fact that most kyuks are either fervent christians or drunkards? we may need a shrink. by the way - that "crying on the inside" stuff is real! no one except small babies and people who had not been there for the matangaz shed tears (I have shed my own share of tears but away from the public eye). I loved the article.

by the way - the photos question? what I have obsevered is that the closest kin of the deceased keep them -hutapata yako! they have videos as well. when people visit you are given a whole bunch of albums and there is a discussion as you wait for food to cook. funeral photos are also taken coz they are like the surest way of getting to know who your 3rd cousin on your mother's side is. you get to meet many people with your names or variations of your names. photos of these people are kept.

I just remembered this conversation... I have started donning a brown fedora Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

are you balding? smile