wazua Thu, Mar 28, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages123>»
Bikozulu. . . and the very best of kenyan bloggers
Siringi
#1 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2013 6:49:12 PM

Having read a letter to Kenyans in the diaspora, i sort of strayed to Bikozulu's blog Applause Applause Applause Boy the guy can write, he has a way with words that reminds me of Wahome Mutahi 'Whispers'

Sample this : This is Nyanza

A story told by a master griot. Reminds me of those anthologies of african short stories

which other Kenyan bloggers play in this league?
"πŸ˜–πŸ˜‘KQ makes money for everyone except the shareholder 😏😏 " overheard in Wazua
kiterunner
#2 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2013 6:57:09 PM

I agree he is the best Kenyan writer, not just a blogger. He has a way with words that I can describe as Kenyan. My favorite of his posts is on tribalism http://bikozulu.co.ke/yes-you-are-tribal/ . A lot of us wazuans with red/orange goggles will laugh at ourselves if we read that. He also has a strong 'dislike' for the pretend middleclass and expresses the joy of fatherhood so well that you wish you were a dad too.

our goals are best achieved indirectly
Rankaz13
#3 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2013 7:19:58 PM

His 'review' of the samsung galaxy s3 was one of his most hilarious articles I ever read.
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
Siringi
#4 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2013 7:20:33 PM

You beat me to it was going to post that one for iTiNA sorry jumbiree and Cordoms here. Highly recommended must read for Club Skerians.

kiterunner wrote:
I agree he is the best Kenyan writer, not just a blogger. He has a way with words that I can describe as Kenyan. My favorite of his posts is on tribalism http://bikozulu.co.ke/yes-you-are-tribal/ . A lot of us wazuans with red/orange goggles will laugh at ourselves if we read that. He also has a strong 'dislike' for the pretend middleclass and expresses the joy of fatherhood so well that you wish you were a dad too.

"πŸ˜–πŸ˜‘KQ makes money for everyone except the shareholder 😏😏 " overheard in Wazua
kiterunner
#5 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2013 7:30:32 PM

Siringi wrote:
You beat me to it was going to post that one for iTiNA sorry jumbiree and Cordoms here. Highly recommended must read for Club Skerians.

kiterunner wrote:

About time he wrote a book.

Speaking of bloggers does Wanjohi wa Kigogoine still write?
murchr
#6 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2013 8:45:45 PM

Charles Obbo writes well too and the mighty Oyunga Pala
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Siringi
#7 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2013 9:10:14 PM

Love clay muganda`s attitude

Josaya Wasonga and Mwalimu Andrew pen good pieces too.

But talking of bloggers with rinks sio columnists. . .

Sue Nairobi had started well . . .a Charles Mangua femme fatale

murchr wrote:

murchr
#8 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2013 10:42:14 PM

Siringi wrote:
Love clay muganda`s attitude

Josaya Wasonga and Mwalimu Andrew pen good pieces too.

But talking of bloggers with rinks sio columnists. . .

Sue Nairobi had started well . . .a Charles Mangua femme fatale

murchr wrote:

Pala's blog http://oyungapala.com/

Obbo's blog http://nakedchiefs.com/ - you must love siasa

Even biko is a columnist on the Business Daily on Thursdays
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Siringi
#9 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 5:33:18 AM

@murchr kumbe there exists a whole directory of 'mainstream' kenyan bloggers. Checked it out and am like a kid in a candy shopDrool smile

Where is Taban Lo Liyong ' boy Kenyans can read and write we are not a literary desert

Link : Kenyan blogs listing
digitek1
#10 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 9:20:39 AM

kaana...Laughing out loudly
I may be wrong..but then I could be right
kysse
#11 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 9:44:22 AM

smile @bizokulu.

Nice blog,I love all the stories.
Wish he had it all in a book like Dr.Kodawala of Surgeon's diary, another all time favorite.

muganda
#12 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 9:52:54 AM

I read and reread BikoZulu's A power nap in the ditch...

The style in that short story, quick paced, short sentences, describing the characters look, mind, biases - very unique.

Okay there have been other narratives that follow the same flow, even a movie like Changing Lanes. But not many writers I've read tell a Kenyan story so effectively.

I read somewhere Jackson Biko has some respect for Pala Oyunga (denizen of old relationships). But as with all students, he surpassed his master.

QD
#13 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 10:48:02 AM

This was one good read and the discovery of Rusinga Lodge was so great.
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence
bkismat
#14 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 11:08:34 AM

muganda wrote:
I read and reread
BikoZulu's A
power nap in the ditch...

The style in that short story, quick paced, short sentences, describing
the characters look, mind, biases - very unique.

Okay there have been other narratives that follow the same flow, even a
movie like Changing Lanes. But not many writers I've read tell a Kenyan
story so effectively.

I read somewhere Jackson Biko has some respect for Pala Oyunga (denizen
of old relationships). But as with all students, he surpassed his
master.

was wondering where you were. this is right down your alley.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt...
-Mark Twain
bkismat
#15 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 11:16:19 AM

kiterunner wrote:
Siringi wrote:
You
beat me to it was going to post that one for iTiNA sorry jumbiree and
Cordoms here. Highly recommended must read for Club Skerians.

kiterunner wrote:
I agree he is the best Kenyan writer, not just a
blogger. He has a way with words that I can describe as Kenyan. My
favorite of his posts is on tribalism
http://bikozulu.co.ke/yes-you-are-tribal/ . A lot of us wazuans with
red/orange goggles will laugh at ourselves if we read that. He also has a
strong 'dislike' for the pretend middleclass and expresses the joy of
fatherhood so well that you wish you were a dad too.

About time he wrote a book.

Speaking of bloggers does Wanjohi wa Kigogoine still write?

persons of out. I lovn the way he does the direct translation from mother tounge to English.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt...
-Mark Twain
kiterunner
#16 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 3:30:18 PM

muganda wrote:

The style in that short story, quick paced, short sentences, describing the characters look, mind, biases - very unique.

Okay there have been other narratives that follow the same flow, even a movie like Changing Lanes. But not many writers I've read tell a Kenyan story so effectively.

I read somewhere Jackson Biko has some respect for Pala Oyunga (denizen of old relationships). But as with all students, he surpassed his master.

He writes very well though their styles are slightly different. Pala mostly writes on relationships with a tinge of male chauvinism which makes him popular with men while Biko tells the contemporary Kenyan story with shock humour with a unique style.

PS Is your first name Clay? If it is I think you are one of the most objective writers in NMG (With Muriithi Mutiga). Every other Kenyan columnist at NMG dons orange/red goggles from time to time IMO
Mukiri
#17 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 7:09:24 PM

My favorite Kenyan story teller.. Can't remember reading his pieces and not having a hearty laughter. Its like Chimamanda with a wicked sense of humor.

Proverbs 19:21
Siringi
#18 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 7:29:55 PM

Reading a power nap in the ditch i couldnt help recall the Furahiday siku ya phombe thread, and the mchele oned'oh!

then i ask myself if i were to group wazuans into two groups the printers and the bankers, whp would fit into which group ?

Very sobering and thought provoking especially the things we take for granted. Equally enjoyed the readers comments

muganda wrote:

kysse
#19 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 7:44:12 PM

Quote:
Then there is another guy. Lives in Ongata Rongai. Lives in a house that is almost finished, his own unfinished house. He’s those guys who will build a house and move into it before it’s finished because they just can’t give someone else rent for another day. Of course he’s Kikuyu. He’s a silent guy. Keeps to himself. It’s said that he is born-again. He goes to NPC Karen. He’s 41, three kids. Two girls, one boy. A teetotaller. He finds Mike Rua unpalatable.

This guy is in printing business in downtown Nairobi, Kirinyanga Road. Five people work for him full-time and another four on part-time. He doesn’t wear suits, this guy. He wears shirts and pants and sometimes a jacket. He could be anybody. He has a picture of his family on his desk. When you call his phone, you will hear some playback song by Christina Shusho. He signs off his smses with β€œBe blessed.” He drives a Toyota Noah.

Mukiri came to mind while I was reading this part.He perfectly describes what I presume him to be, save for one part smile

And then this;
Quote:
The Banker wearing his favourite suit, the Printer wearing his faith. They finally meet. They lived their lives as strangers but are finally joined by destiny on Langata Road. Unknown to them they were already joined by death at birth and all they did in life only brought closer their final meeting on Langata Road. But now they are together. Like it was written.

very nice read and choice of wordssmile Applause smile
butterflyke
#20 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 8:11:02 PM

kiterunner wrote:
muganda wrote:

He writes very well though their styles are slightly different. Pala mostly writes on relationships with a tinge of male chauvinism which makes him popular with men while Biko tells the contemporary Kenyan story with shock humour with a unique style.

PS Is your first name Clay? If it is I think you are one of the most objective writers in NMG (With Muriithi Mutiga). Every other Kenyan columnist at NMG dons orange/red goggles from time to time IMO

Clay Muganda, Muriithi Mutiga, Mutuma Mathiu.....
Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. - Muhammad Ali🐝