wazua Fri, May 17, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages<12345>
New look Nation.co.ke site
mkenyan
#41 Posted : Sunday, August 18, 2013 10:48:29 AM

alma wrote:
Just looked at it...lol hadn't before.

Enyewe comparing it to USA today is rather unfair to the developers of USA today.

Someone forgot this was a newspaper, not a two man blog with few resources for a good designer. They should have had a bigger budget for their website to be honest. coz whatever it was, it wasn't enough.

There is too much white space on the site. Spaces everywhere.
No sence of form or structure. One block of content overrides another block of content.

sure you want to get more from advertising but those ad placements are annoying to say the least. Compare the ads on usa today.

As for the megamenu being bragged about as being different, thats a $10 script in 2013.

The saving grace is that Nation is a brand. So this shouldn't affect them in the short run. But its annoying to think that the standard design is better. lol Ok its not....

If someone had tried it on their own blog, they'd definately have lost traffic. Lakini tutazoea tu or someone will create something better than that design and we shall move in droves. News is news you know.

for a player in the web/Internet industry your reaction is perplexing. several websites have been moving towards the responsive design which nation is attempting here. and in fact several like seen in the usatoday above and arsenal.com have been moving towards the blog look. would like to see links to your websites.
Njung'e
#42 Posted : Sunday, August 18, 2013 11:03:47 AM

The older version was by far much better organised.I can't find my way around here and i have given up.Ama ni uzee?
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
Siringi
#43 Posted : Sunday, August 18, 2013 11:06:23 AM

Come to think of it I have noted some improvements today and the Huge font could be a plus. Home page donge?

Have they decided to have independent pages for the various other cos in the group. Previousl you could just click and move among the other publications easily not so now.!

They new interns may turn out not to be too bad after all. Change doesn't gain acceptability easily
"πŸ˜–πŸ˜‘KQ makes money for everyone except the shareholder 😏😏 " overheard in Wazua
symbols
#44 Posted : Sunday, August 18, 2013 11:13:59 AM

kryptonite wrote:
symbols wrote:
Siringi wrote:
Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you pisha hodi kwanza are you a socquet am blug?Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Circle Digital wrote:
We are Circle Digital Ltd, designers of the new Nation Website.

We are very grateful for all feedback, positive and negative. We are taking everything into consideration and working around the clock to address bug fixes. We appreciate that there have been challenges.

We would like to specifically reject the allegation that the new site is a copy of the USA Today site. Consider for instance the navigation of that site Vs Nation. Or the use of a slider on USA Today that is not present on Nation site.

We appreciate that there are challenges, but the integrity and originality of the work is intact.

Please keep constructive comment coming.

Laughing out loudly

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Wazua is a shark tank

SnapLaughing out loudly
washiku
#45 Posted : Sunday, August 18, 2013 2:41:38 PM

symbols wrote:
kryptonite wrote:
symbols wrote:
Siringi wrote:
Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you pisha hodi kwanza are you a socquet am blug?Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Circle Digital wrote:

We are very grateful for all feedback, positive and negative. We are taking everything into consideration and working around the clock to address bug fixes. We appreciate that there have been challenges.

We would like to specifically reject the allegation that the new site is a copy of the USA Today site. Consider for instance the navigation of that site Vs Nation. Or the use of a slider on USA Today that is not present on Nation site.

We appreciate that there are challenges, but the integrity and originality of the work is intact.

Laughing out loudly

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Wazua is a shark tank

SnapLaughing out loudly

Lol...the (in)famous "I am out" comes to mind. But tutazoea tu. Remember the way we made noise on SK to Wazua migration? But hei hei...here we are. Many years later.
Wakanyugi
#46 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 12:28:02 AM

Circle Digital wrote:

Personally I think your new offering is terrible. What happened to the easy links to the other products in the 'Nation' stable?

But, with tyranny of money and all, I assume your are not going to listen, despite what you write above. So I am resigned to finding my news elsewhere.

In the meantime some free advice on that black hole you call 'Discus.' Can you fix it so that every time a comment is rejected, a message to that effect is posted, perhaps with reasons why.

This way we shall know you are not nurturing journalistic impunity.
"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." (Niels Bohr)
Gordon Gekko
#47 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 1:56:49 AM

Njung'e wrote:
The older version was by far much better organised.I can't find my way around here and i have given up.Ama ni uzee?

Im having major issues with the new site. I usually read the paper from the nation twitter account but since the new site, all twitter hyperlinks default to the home page. And is it just my uzee or does the site carry only ten articles? The font is however great.
vky
#48 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 9:46:39 AM

utter crap
'One headache for famous medieval holy people was that someone might murder you to acquire your body parts for the relics trade'
brightstar
#49 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 10:00:36 AM

Totally horrible. Looks like it was designed by a class 4 pupil.
kryptonite
#50 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 10:30:17 AM

@Circle Digital Ltd

Please increase the black in the body copy text (my suggestion, bump it up to 65%-75% black). Right now it's too light and disconcerting to look at. Yes, I know about the study that shows grey is easier on the eyes when viewed on computer and mobile device screens.

I notice change of typeface to san serif from the original launch version, love it! Instant improvement!
The harder you work, the luckier you get
alma
#51 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 10:36:39 AM

mkenyan wrote:

for a player in the web/Internet industry your reaction is perplexing. several websites have been moving towards the responsive design which nation is attempting here. and in fact several like seen in the usatoday above and arsenal.com have been moving towards the blog look. would like to see links to your websites.

First of all I'm not the topic here.

Second I haven't built a non-responsive website since 2011. So if this is what you call new, then I can see we aren't going to communicate. But if you want to learn how to do it for 5k here's a link https://www.udemy.com/le...-responsive-web-design/

Third just because arsenal is moving towards a blog doesn't mean that we all go blogging,otherwise we would all stop scoring goals thinking we are winning

I'm not alone hating its usability. But like I said, it doesn't matter what I or you think. If there's better statistics on the website especially visit length. If it has dropped,then its a bad website. If its increased then its a good website.

and please please again stop comparing this website to USA today. You are abusing coders the world over.

But unlike you circle digital seem to be making improvements after looking at comments here. I feel for them especially if they are being forced to use that cranky cms in 2013. It's not their fault. It's Nation's fault.
Jose: If I make it through this thug life, I'll see you one day. The Lord is the only way to stop the hurt.
Siringi
#52 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 1:46:08 PM

Anybody tried to search for something on the new nation website using thr search tab?
Kwangu it is not responding nktest
"πŸ˜–πŸ˜‘KQ makes money for everyone except the shareholder 😏😏 " overheard in Wazua
Wakanyugi
#53 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 3:08:08 PM

alma wrote:
[quote=mkenyan]

Third just because arsenal is moving towards a blog doesn't mean that we all go blogging,otherwise we would all stop scoring goals thinking we are winning

Ouch!

That one is kicking below the belt.
"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." (Niels Bohr)
dunkang
#54 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 3:17:14 PM

New look nation.co.ke site:

This thing is BBBBBBAAAAAAASADDDDDDDDDDD!
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.” ― Rashi

washiku
#55 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 4:54:59 PM

Siringi wrote:
Anybody tried to search for something on the new nation website using thr search tab?
Kwangu it is not responding nktest

Mine too...just gives me a still look as if I av asked it to go to Egypt for holidayd'oh!
butterflyke
#56 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 7:50:40 PM

mkenyan wrote:
butterflyke wrote:
bird_man wrote:
Reminds me of when we moved from StocksKenya to Wazua.Mtazoea tu....

one can navigate to various contents on wazua far much better than on DN's new site, especially on a mobile device

you expect your mobile version to be like the web one? the old website was shit. this one is far much better. just take time to know where the links are like you did with the old version. think guys here have been used to the old shitty web version such that when they even get a better one they scream.

wacha fujo, upole ni uungwana.

i dont expect the mobile version to be like the web one. what i expect is better navigation
Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. - Muhammad Ali🐝
jguru
#57 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 9:19:16 PM

bird_man wrote:
Reminds me of when we moved from StocksKenya to Wazua.Mtazoea tu....

BBC Sports redesigned their website in Jan 2012.

They used a very very bright shade of yellow. Sunshine all over. smile

There was a furore! smile

But eventually, painfully, people got used to it.

Anyway, this nation.co.ke revamp is just dire. Responsive or not, that floating menubar annoys me. On page load, it obscures the headline to the left, the "Must Read" and the top of the photo gallery on the right.

I heard they are targeting readers on handheld devices (ipads, tabs etc). They forgot most Kenyans actually use Ideos, Asha and Kabambe.

smile
Set out to correct the world's wrongs and you will most certainly wind up adding to them.
mkenyan
#58 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 9:39:47 PM

Wakanyugi wrote:
alma wrote:
[quote=mkenyan]

Ouch!

That one is kicking below the belt.

used arsenal intentionally. what you two fail to understand is that commercially arsenal have been doing great even as they remain ambitionless on the field. I half expected that alma would be clued enough to realise that but that failure to see the obvious makes me wonder about his competence in his claimed profession. alma, could I see any of your mythical responsive sites?
symbols
#59 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 12:51:50 AM

Where are the terms and conditions,privacy policy,cookie policy...
murchr
#60 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 2:37:51 AM

symbols wrote:
Where are the terms and conditions,privacy policy,cookie policy...

Good luck in getting them, i dont even seem to keep up with the news of the day Eh?
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore