wazua Fri, May 17, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
PwC or Deloitte?
waridi
#1 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2013 7:48:04 PM

Hi good people!

Please help me make this critical decision.
I have received a job offer from each of these 2 big 4 audit firms as an associate.
What are the pros and cons of each? Anyone with previous experience Associate experience in either?

sparkly
#2 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2013 8:26:11 PM

waridi wrote:
Hi good people!

I have received a job offer from each of these 2 big 4 audit firms as an associate.
What are the pros and cons of each? Anyone with previous experience Associate experience in either?

Go for the one that gives you more money. Thats the only thing that matters to a young man/woman.
Life is short. Live passionately.
guru267
#3 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2013 9:03:10 PM

waridi wrote:
Hi good people!

One fact is true... first year associates are worked like dogs!

That's the main reason I left audit...
Mark 12:29
Deuteronomy 4:16
mawinder
#4 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2013 9:16:21 PM

If you are from the lakeside go to Deloitte and if from the mountain go to PWC.
Rankaz13
#5 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2013 9:35:34 PM

waridi wrote:
Hi good people!

I'd go with Deloitte, if for no other reason than the opportunity to work in the Cayman's Islands.
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
Mastermind
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 03, 2013 1:18:41 PM

http://www.nairaland.com/270797/pwc-deloitte
If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
Obi 1 Kanobi
#7 Posted : Saturday, August 03, 2013 3:07:43 PM

mawinder wrote:

You read too much into the CEO's names, FYI Anne Erikson is a lunje.

As to which firm, it doesn't matter both will work you to the bone.
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
sparkly
#8 Posted : Saturday, August 03, 2013 7:00:19 PM

guru267 wrote:
waridi wrote:
Hi good people!

So @Guru was an auditor!
Life is short. Live passionately.
timuka
#9 Posted : Saturday, August 03, 2013 9:54:05 PM

waridi wrote:
Hi good people!

PwC anyday!!
rryyzz
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 06, 2013 8:48:21 AM

guru267 wrote:
waridi wrote:
Hi good people!

True, but with it comes good experience.

PWc /Deloitte doesn't matter much, but be ready to work your ass off. Mambo ya dates at 5pm sahau.
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.... Leo Buscaglia
WAGUMA
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 06, 2013 9:44:35 AM

PwC.the experience at The Firm is great and from there you can get very good jobs.The hours and workload is crazy but its worth it for the 1st two-three years of your career then u can change jobs.
nakujua
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 06, 2013 10:29:47 AM

forgive my ignorance, I have never worked for a big company leave alone the big audit firms - but where does the crazy workload come from when doing audits, no disrespect but I thought its just checking files and receipts and you funga job and go home when the company closes.
back when I finished college I viewed the guys who went to the firms as the definition of success, didn't know kazi ni mob.
ZZE123
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 06, 2013 10:53:17 AM

mawinder wrote:

I hate to say this but I agree with you fullySad Sad Sad
The man who marries a beautiful woman, and the farmer who grows corn by the roadside have the same problem
seppuku
#14 Posted : Tuesday, August 06, 2013 12:17:02 PM

waridi wrote:
Hi good people!

I don't have a good answer for your question in its current form. However, here are a few points you might want to consider - if you haven't already.

The soundness of your decision is as good as the alternatives at hand. So maybe you want to re-frame the problem. What do you want? Money? Experience? Some time to spare after work? What's most important to you?

Secondly, expand your search space. What jobs are you qualified to do? Which among them would you most enjoy? Sometimes the one you'd most enjoy isn't the best paying in the beginning, but it often provides the most satisfaction in the end. That has been my experience.

PS: I think these so called Big Four audit firms are overrated. I think they pay less per unit of work done than alternative employers out there. If you do not like the job, don't take it because of the money. You will ultimately make more by focusing on what you are passionate about. If you do go there because you absolutely need the money, have a clear exit strategy in mind - which is not easy when you are working your butt off day and night.
Learn first to treat your time as you would your money, then treat your money as you do your time.
mauryc
#15 Posted : Friday, August 09, 2013 10:01:11 PM

Worked at one of these big 4 audit firms as an audit intern and now am not sure i'd want to work there when i graduate.
webish
#16 Posted : Friday, August 09, 2013 10:26:05 PM

ZZE123 wrote:
mawinder wrote:

I hate to say this but I agree with you fullySad Sad Sad

Why?

Life is joy, death is peace, but the transition is very difficult.
Rollout
#17 Posted : Friday, August 09, 2013 10:38:26 PM

seppuku wrote:
waridi wrote:
Hi good people!

I don't have a good answer for your question in its current form. However, here are a few points you might want to consider - if you haven't already.

The soundness of your decision is as good as the alternatives at hand. So maybe you want to re-frame the problem. What do you want? Money? Experience? Some time to spare after work? What's most important to you?

Secondly, expand your search space. What jobs are you qualified to do? Which among them would you most enjoy? Sometimes the one you'd most enjoy isn't the best paying in the beginning, but it often provides the most satisfaction in the end. That has been my experience.

PS: I think these so called Big Four audit firms are overrated. I think they pay less per unit of work done than alternative employers out there. If you do not like the job, don't take it because of the money. You will ultimately make more by focusing on what you are passionate about. If you do go there because you absolutely need the money, have a clear exit strategy in mind - which is not easy when you are working your butt off day and night.

I think you like to give advice too much, there are only two alternatives, what is about expanding the search? or exit strategy or big four being overrated? if you don't have the answer then don't say anything.

Let's be fair, if you went to school for accounting 90% of the time, you'll want to work for big 4, the thought of it is fulfilling to accountants because it builds a great foundations.

I'd say pick the one which pays you the most.
McReggae
#18 Posted : Friday, August 09, 2013 10:49:44 PM

Delloitte......workload a bit less compared tp PwC.
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
mawinder
#19 Posted : Saturday, August 10, 2013 12:51:50 AM

McReggae wrote:
Delloitte......workload a bit less compared tp PwC.

You just confirmed my sentiments on this post.
254.co.ke
#20 Posted : Saturday, August 10, 2013 9:59:46 AM

I may not be able to offer advice on the catch 22 but what i know corroborate what most of the guys here are alluding to.In the early 2000s my she cuz got a job with one of the two firms and her social life changed.Girl could put atleast 15hours, six days and despite the good pay and no immediate placement elsewhere , she didn't last long in that audit job.The burn out was too much. Luckily for her, the good papers and experience over the years have got her to places I can consider success.
LOL...Mawinder that's a different dimension