wazua Wed, Sep 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

1,000/=
Drobos fly
#1 Posted : Monday, July 08, 2013 3:54:13 PM

That is the amount I was expecting decent unlimited monthly internet to be by now. I remember there was alot of excitement and anticipation when the fiber optic investment to Kenya from overseas was being laid down.

There was also alot of comparison as to how cheap it should become when considering people overseas are paying. Like I know of some buddies of mine in Malaysia are paying like 1,400/= for a 4MB unlimited reliable connection.

Reliable net is still quite pricy compared to what fiber should be priced at now. Zuku is now loosing ground due to poor customer support.

Now am seeing Safcom is busy, burrowing everywhere with plans for an LTE investment. What is the point of trying to offer speeds of upto 100Mbps (LTE) thoretically where real world tests here in already existing entities only show average of 23Mbps on the higher end of 4g (42Mbps service)and even poorer results when you consider the lower end of 3g (3Mbps peak on a 21Mbps modem)

When will this retrogression ever end??????????????
webish
#2 Posted : Monday, July 08, 2013 4:16:56 PM

I don't pretend to have the answer, but I personally have always thought, that they have to ensure their investment is "fully" or "almost-fully" returned before they consider such rates. Basically, as I see it, it is Directly related to Cost of infrastructure.

Another thing, maybe competition will keep bringing it down. this is never overnight. Push/pull push/pull until we get there.

I'll be following closely this LTE conference in Jozi. I have a friend in one of the Panels, so I will be keeping a close eye.

Life is joy, death is peace, but the transition is very difficult.
Drobos fly
#3 Posted : Monday, July 08, 2013 4:35:56 PM

@Webish, I understand, but it doesn't mean now they charge in a manner indicating that they should have recouped the cash in 3 years and when that 3 years is over... no change = greed!

Unless we are going to see some good rates after a short time.

By the way guys, when you travel out there don't be quick to buy unlocked modems. I got a premium one from Australia and it has compatibility issues with some mobile operators here because the mobile operators here use customized firmwares, they don't use what comes with a factory unlocked modem. So even the LTE modems might be cheap out there but don't be quick to get one.

3 network from Britain is also another one that has issues with its firmware, if you plan on using your modem to make calls.