wazua Thu, Mar 28, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages<12345>»
Farm Fencing
Xymalos
#41 Posted : Monday, December 14, 2015 10:30:26 PM

murchr wrote:
Who has planted kei apple for themselves and not opted to buy from vendors? I want to know how its grown ie can i plant the stems in water for them to get roots so then transplant them? Please assist!

These people in Department of Horticulture at Egerton University have done research in vegetative propagation of wood plants including Kei apple. You can buzz them for information - V.N. Mwaja, F.M. Itulya, and J. Ochieng. Department of Horticulture, Egerton University, P. O. Box 536, Njoro, Kenya. Their research article is "Comparison of Four Moisture Management Systems for Cutting Propagation of Bougainvillea, Hibiscus, and Kei Apple" published in 1995 in Journal of American Society of Horticultural Science. 120:366-373 is accessible online at this --link---
Mukiri
#42 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2015 12:06:47 AM

leona wrote:
For Kajiado, you can do Cactus(various species) and Bougainvillea.. they're both cost effective and thrive well there

CactusShame on you This one grows like wild-fire. Im having a nightmare trying to uproot mine.

Proverbs 19:21
Mukiri
#43 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2015 12:12:36 AM

Tokyo wrote:
If you intend to engage in proper farming kei apple/kaiyaba might not be ideal. The root system are widely spread. It's a competitor of nutrients and water.
Anyway usisahau trees trees trees in your budget

What do you mean by 'Trees'? Fence trees ama miti kwa shamba?

Is boungavillia a competitor of nutrients too?
Can hibiscus be a fence?

Proverbs 19:21
murchr
#44 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2015 12:41:19 AM

Gathige wrote:
murchr wrote:
Who has planted kei apple for themselves and not opted to buy from vendors? I want to know how its grown ie can i plant the stems in water for them to get roots so then transplant them? Please assist!

@murchr, For Kei Apple, you plant the seeds and not the stems. BTW the seeds are edible and very sweet... It's a fruit. Start by getting the ripe fruits, which are yellow in colour. Each fruit has very many seeds which you can havest my manually removing the fresh and retain the tiny seeds. Then make some furrows along the intended fence and plant the seeds, water them and will then germinate. Once the seedlings reach knee height, u need to start coiling it to kake a good fence. For best results you can first do a chain link or berded wire fence and coil the kei apple on the fence. You can get the seeds from mature Kei apple during the fruiting season. Kei apple fence is laborious to manage as it requires regular trimming. The thorns are very prickly and painful. Best results if you have a big plot size as it can easily overgrow.

You can also buys seeds at a seeds shop or try KEFRI .

Best of luck

Thank you, this is very helpful. Do I have to dry the seeds from the fruits first?
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
murchr
#45 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2015 12:53:04 AM

Xymalos wrote:
murchr wrote:

These people in Department of Horticulture at Egerton University have done research in vegetative propagation of wood plants including Kei apple. You can buzz them for information - V.N. Mwaja, F.M. Itulya, and J. Ochieng. Department of Horticulture, Egerton University, P. O. Box 536, Njoro, Kenya. Their research article is "Comparison of Four Moisture Management Systems for Cutting Propagation of Bougainvillea, Hibiscus, and Kei Apple" published in 1995 in Journal of American Society of Horticultural Science. 120:366-373 is accessible online at this --link---

Thanks, will go through the journal
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
jerry
#46 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2015 10:42:51 AM

Hi esteemed Wazuans, I am not so good at starting threads but I think this one will suffice. I have entered into an agreement to purchase a piece of land which already has a caution by a sister of the seller. The sister is married and in a stable family union. She claims she needs a share of her father's(deceased) property although the succession was done almost 10 years ago using due process and there was no objection then! There are three more sisters who are said to be in agreement with the caveator.

The succession administration was done by the widow of the seller's brother. The widow later on sold her share and bought another piece elsewhere.

The sister is claiming "licencee interest" in the caution and she has paid 2,000/= in the Land Registrar's office so that a committee is constituted to listen to the parties and make recommendations.

My immediate intended action is to have my piece demarcated and move in before we start any litigation. I'm sure there are similar cases which have been determined but my search in KenyaLawReports didn't yield any appropriate result.

What else should I do? Kindly help a Wazua in need.
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
wazuaguest
#47 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2015 12:22:03 PM

jerry wrote:
Hi esteemed Wazuans, I am not so good at starting threads but I think this one will suffice. I have entered into an agreement to purchase a piece of land which already has a caution by a sister of the seller. The sister is married and in a stable family union. She claims she needs a share of her father's(deceased) property although the succession was done almost 10 years ago using due process and there was no objection then! There are three more sisters who are said to be in agreement with the caveator.

The succession administration was done by the widow of the seller's brother. The widow later on sold her share and bought another piece elsewhere.

The sister is claiming "licencee interest" in the caution and she has paid 2,000/= in the Land Registrar's office so that a committee is constituted to listen to the parties and make recommendations.

My immediate intended action is to have my piece demarcated and move in before we start any litigation. I'm sure there are similar cases which have been determined but my search in KenyaLawReports didn't yield any appropriate result.

What else should I do? Kindly help a Wazua in need.

For the benefit of your mental health never deal in land that has caution or potentially that can have one.Stress tupu.count yourself very lucky if you havent paid a penny.
Africa belongs to Africans.
jerry
#48 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2015 2:19:18 PM

Thanks @wazuaguest, the question I'm asking is; what kind of interest can a sibling/sister have in your property(land) that was transferred to you in a succession case 8 or 9 years ago?
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
mkenyan
#49 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2015 3:43:55 PM

jerry wrote:
Thanks @wazuaguest, the question I'm asking is; what kind of interest can a sibling/sister have in your property(land) that was transferred to you in a succession case 8 or 9 years ago?

the story may not be as you are being told by the intended vendor. as wazuaguest has advised you, just stay away from those problems or go see a lawyer for competent advise if you are adamant about buying it - wazua/google legal advise shall only cause you more pain.
Gathige
#50 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2015 3:53:46 PM

jerry wrote:

@jerry, two words.... Wachana naye. Whenever I caution is placed, the chances of the person placing it having a genuine interest in the land is normally very high, otherwise every Tom and Jane would be placing cautions left right and centre. By the time litigation is done and the caution cleared it may be ages and you may not want to wait that long .......there is plenty of clean land all over.
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
nakujua
#51 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2015 7:25:48 PM

Mukiri wrote:
Tokyo wrote:
If you intend to engage in proper farming kei apple/kaiyaba might not be ideal. The root system are widely spread. It's a competitor of nutrients and water.
Anyway usisahau trees trees trees in your budget

What do you mean by 'Trees'? Fence trees ama miti kwa shamba?

Is boungavillia a competitor of nutrients too?
Can hibiscus be a fence?

On hibiscus, yes it can be a fence, though as it grows it needs some training - but its good especially in the drier areas. I bought some seedlings for the same hapo forestry institute on kiambu road.

I have not noted the root system for bougainvillea extending far, thus it keeps to its planted area unlike kei apple whose root system spreads far.
nakujua
#52 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2015 7:30:25 PM

murchr wrote:
Gathige wrote:
murchr wrote:

@murchr, For Kei Apple, you plant the seeds and not the stems. BTW the seeds are edible and very sweet... It's a fruit. Start by getting the ripe fruits, which are yellow in colour. Each fruit has very many seeds which you can havest my manually removing the fresh and retain the tiny seeds. Then make some furrows along the intended fence and plant the seeds, water them and will then germinate. Once the seedlings reach knee height, u need to start coiling it to kake a good fence. For best results you can first do a chain link or berded wire fence and coil the kei apple on the fence. You can get the seeds from mature Kei apple during the fruiting season. Kei apple fence is laborious to manage as it requires regular trimming. The thorns are very prickly and painful. Best results if you have a big plot size as it can easily overgrow.

Best of luck

Thank you, this is very helpful. Do I have to dry the seeds from the fruits first?

I have never understood why they do it, but I see people mashing up the yellowish fruits and laying them in the sun to dry before getting the seeds, maybe its for the ease of extracting the seeds when dry.
murchr
#53 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2015 7:33:47 PM

nakujua wrote:
murchr wrote:
Gathige wrote:
murchr wrote:

Best of luck

I have never understood why they do it, but I see people mashing up the yellowish fruits and laying them in the sun to dry before getting the seeds, maybe its for the ease of extracting the seeds when dry.

Thanks
Boris Boyka
#54 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2015 7:27:27 AM

Gathige wrote:
murchr wrote:

Best of luck

I hate it because of that. I prefer other live fences.
Everybody STEALS, a THIEF is one who's CAUGHT stealing something of LITTLE VALUE. !!!
murchr
#55 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2015 6:11:47 PM

Boris Boyka wrote:
Gathige wrote:
murchr wrote:

Best of luck

That will ensure kuku na paka wa jirani wamebaki nje
enyands
#56 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2015 6:58:48 PM

murchr wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:
Gathige wrote:
murchr wrote:

Best of luck

Infact one intertwined with chain link fence is hard for mikora to Penetrate.
Boris Boyka
#57 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2015 8:07:25 PM

enyands wrote:
murchr wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:
Gathige wrote:
murchr wrote:

Best of luck

Infact one intertwined with chain link fence is hard for mikora to Penetrate.

@Murchr and enyands; one day for the thief, one day for the owner .
Everybody STEALS, a THIEF is one who's CAUGHT stealing something of LITTLE VALUE. !!!
kiash
#58 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2015 1:21:48 PM

Gathige wrote:
murchr wrote:

Best of luck

I remember these fruits when i was young , never tasted coz i heard they were poisonous.
enyands
#59 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2015 1:26:26 PM

kiash wrote:
Gathige wrote:
[quote=murchr]Who has planted kei apple for themselves and not opted to buy from vendors? I want to know how its grown ie can i plant the stems in water for them to get roots so then transplant them? Please assist![/quote

Best of luck

I remember these fruits when i was young , never tasted coz i heard they were poisonous.

The guy is confusing kei apple seeds with lokwats kwa kiswahili the yellow msabibu. I hope I got the correct spelling of lokwats. They have sweet ripe yellow seeds too
Boris Boyka
#60 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2015 2:01:53 PM

enyands wrote:
kiash wrote:
Gathige wrote:
[quote=murchr]Who has planted kei apple for themselves and not opted to buy from vendors? I want to know how its grown ie can i plant the stems in water for them to get roots so then transplant them? Please assist![/quote

Best of luck

The guy is confusing kei apple seeds with lokwats kwa kiswahili the yellow msabibu. I hope I got the correct spelling of lokwats. They have sweet ripe yellow seeds too

@enyands you're the confused one. It's true as @kiash says, some people eat those Kayaba fruits and I have seen. Lokwats we know them too they're eaten.