wazua Sat, Apr 27, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages<1234>»
Farm Fencing
webish
#21 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2013 9:33:21 AM

QD wrote:
Thanks all for your contribution. For the proponents of live fencing, i agree but this will be progressive as farming continue and yes a masai keeper/Wochi will be based in the farm.

@Gathige still waiting on your leads please.

@ QD , any more free Land there good for farming?
Can be a good neighbor. smile
Mind sharing your email address?

Life is joy, death is peace, but the transition is very difficult.
Njung'e
#22 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2013 9:40:25 AM

I asked that stupid question because i am sure you do not want to use chicken mesh but probably you meant link mesh (There is a difference between the two)smile .Polyposts are certainly a bit expensive and therefore good old red cedar would suffice.If you were to consider costs,link mesh of height 6' X 54' length goes for kindu 3.6K while a roll of barbed wire (610 metres equivalent to 1830 feet) goes for 4.2K while it's 480 Metres counterpart goes for kindu 3K.Definately there are savings in barbed wire and as Gathige says,the trick is on concentrating the stretches on the lower 4 feet and thinning as you go up.You will still end up with a decent and robust fence.
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
QD
#23 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2013 2:07:12 PM

Njung'e wrote:
I asked that stupid question because i am sure you do not want to use chicken mesh but probably you meant link mesh (There is a difference between the two)smile .Polyposts are certainly a bit expensive and therefore good old red cedar would suffice.If you were to consider costs,link mesh of height 6' X 54' length goes for kindu 3.6K while a roll of barbed wire (610 metres equivalent to 1830 feet) goes for 4.2K while it's 480 Metres counterpart goes for kindu 3K.Definately there are savings in barbed wire and as Gathige says,the trick is on concentrating the stretches on the lower 4 feet and thinning as you go up.You will still end up with a decent and robust fence.

Ooh! thanks at Njung'e
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence
QD
#24 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2013 2:09:25 PM

webish wrote:
QD wrote:
Thanks all for your contribution. For the proponents of live fencing, i agree but this will be progressive as farming continue and yes a masai keeper/Wochi will be based in the farm.

@Gathige still waiting on your leads please.

@webish yes there is 10 acre i hear going for 1.5 mio its along the road if interested tell me i give you the number of my good masai friends.
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence
webish
#25 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2013 4:19:01 PM

QD wrote:

@webish yes there is 10 acre i hear going for 1.5 mio its along the road if interested tell me i give you the number of my good masai friends.[/quote]

@QD, just drop me an email we pick up from there.

Email: jabrasets at gmail dot com

Many Thanks.

Life is joy, death is peace, but the transition is very difficult.
Tokyo
#26 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2013 9:43:22 AM

I was in the same predicament sometimes back -Kisaju area. I fenced using barbed wire with normal cedar posts. Planted bougainvillea perimeter fence with some tress. Instead of employing somebody, construct a simple temporary site house. Give or rent cheaply.
work to prosper
Njung'e
#27 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2013 9:55:25 AM

@QD,
To keep off thieves,consider buying longer posts (Say 8') and do a 2.5'-3' holes and then prop the posts with concrete mixture.It takes a couple of hours and so many men to uproot one.
Gathige
#28 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2013 1:02:26 PM

Njung'e wrote:
@QD,
To keep off thieves,consider buying longer posts (Say 8') and do a 2.5'-3' holes and then prop the posts with concrete mixture.It takes a couple of hours and so many men to uproot one.

@QD, Also mark/paint the posts at half-length with a permanent paint ( ile rangi ya mafuta). That way in case they are uprooted and stolen you can easily identify them. Red is good colour as it is conspicuous.

"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
Mkimwa
#29 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2013 5:02:45 PM

Anyone know where i can get kaiyaba?

Want to plant it as live fence..
MKWASI
#30 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2013 5:50:28 PM

Gathige wrote:
Njung'e wrote:
@QD,

@QD, Also mark/paint the posts at half-length with a permanent paint ( ile rangi ya mafuta). That way in case they are uprooted and stolen you can easily identify them. Red is good colour as it is conspicuous.

Hawa watu wameona mengi. Good advise.
maka
#31 Posted : Friday, July 05, 2013 1:56:30 AM

MKWASI wrote:
Gathige wrote:
Njung'e wrote:
@QD,

Hawa watu wameona mengi. Good advise.

very good...
possunt quia posse videntur
QD
#32 Posted : Friday, July 05, 2013 9:26:03 AM

Thanks everyone and from the post this i will do
1.Buy buy long posts of 8'.
2.Use barbed wire.
3.Prop posts with concrete mixer o a 2.5'-3' holes.
4.Plant Kayaba to transition to the live fence.
5.Build a simple house for farm use/Keeper.

I need this last help coz i am a first timer.
1.Where to source for the posts fairly has to be btw Kisaju and Kajiado.
2.Reference of who can do a neat job already got one but need the second for comparison/competitive bargain.

@Gathige, Tokyo and Njung'e any heads up and i am really appreciative of the help am getting.
Njung'e
#33 Posted : Friday, July 05, 2013 4:03:12 PM

@QD,
I may not be of help but believe me,early this year,i bought long 8' red cedar posts at Kshs 90 a piece but in another county.Remember though,red cedar is as illegal as weed.
Rankaz13
#34 Posted : Saturday, July 06, 2013 4:57:43 PM

Another viable alternative source of posts is Kenya Power. There're these poles that they're always changing as they upgrade their infrastructure, they make very sturdy and long lasting fencing poles. From the little I've gathered, they usually dispose of them in a sort of 'inside tender' where mostly it's the employees who bid. Befriend one of them, let him bid on your behalf and if he wins, unampa soda kidogo and you collect your merchandise.

One of those ex-electric poles can give you at least 2-3 fencing poles depending on its length. Iwapo imechakaa sana, give it a fresh liberal coat of used engine oil and voila, there you are. Hebu chunguza where their pole yard is in your locality and make some enquiries.
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
Tokyo
#35 Posted : Tuesday, July 09, 2013 11:16:21 AM

If you intend to engage in proper farming kei apple/kaiyaba might not be ideal. The root system are widely spread. It's a competitor of nutrients and water.
Anyway usisahau trees trees trees in your budget
work to prosper
majimaji
#36 Posted : Tuesday, July 09, 2013 12:16:56 PM

Njung'e wrote:
@QD,
I may not be of help but believe me,early this year,i bought long 8' red cedar posts at Kshs 90 a piece but in another county.Remember though,red cedar is as illegal as weed.

This deal is too good, let me in on it pls.Pray
Njung'e
#37 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2013 3:28:16 AM

majimaji wrote:
Njung'e wrote:
@QD,

Not talking Anxious ...I don't want to be Kethi-edPray

QD
#38 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 11:06:50 AM

Njung'e wrote:
majimaji wrote:
Njung'e wrote:
@QD,

Not talking Anxious ...I don't want to be Kethi-edPray

So even chiefs fear, then offer incognito!!!
murchr
#39 Posted : Monday, December 14, 2015 9:58:06 PM

Who has planted kei apple for themselves and not opted to buy from vendors? I want to know how its grown ie can i plant the stems in water for them to get roots so then transplant them? Please assist!
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Gathige
#40 Posted : Monday, December 14, 2015 10:27:21 PM

murchr wrote:
Who has planted kei apple for themselves and not opted to buy from vendors? I want to know how its grown ie can i plant the stems in water for them to get roots so then transplant them? Please assist!

@murchr, For Kei Apple, you plant the seeds and not the stems. BTW the seeds are edible and very sweet... It's a fruit. Start by getting the ripe fruits, which are yellow in colour. Each fruit has very many seeds which you can havest my manually removing the fresh and retain the tiny seeds. Then make some furrows along the intended fence and plant the seeds, water them and will then germinate. Once the seedlings reach knee height, u need to start coiling it to kake a good fence. For best results you can first do a chain link or berded wire fence and coil the kei apple on the fence. You can get the seeds from mature Kei apple during the fruiting season. Kei apple fence is laborious to manage as it requires regular trimming. The thorns are very prickly and painful. Best results if you have a big plot size as it can easily overgrow.

You can also buys seeds at a seeds shop or try KEFRI .

Best of luck

"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe