Farm Fencing
QD
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 02, 2013 9:25:13 AM

Please advise on what the most cost effective way
to fence in a 5 acre land for agriculture.Some considerations;
1.Land in Kajiado county
2.Polypipes or wood posts
3.Barbed wire or Chicken mesh.

Ultimately cost should be minimal-"not cheap" and fence durable.
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Rankaz13
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 02, 2013 10:01:25 AM

QD wrote:
1.Land in Kajiado county

Hii Kenya ina mambo. I was in some section of Kajiado recently and I found scrap metal vandals have taken to vandalizing metallic beacons za mashamba. I fear you might have to police your fence regularly lest you fall victim. Given a choice, I'd go for chicken mesh for its ability to minimize intrusion.
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
QD
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 02, 2013 10:45:43 AM

Rankaz13 wrote:
QD wrote:
1.Land in Kajiado county

Hii Kenya ina mambo. I was in some section of Kajiado recently and I found scrap metal vandals have taken to vandalizing metallic beacons za mashamba. I fear you might have to police your fence regularly lest you fall victim. Given a choice, I'd go for chicken mesh for its ability to minimize intrusion.

Thanks @Rankaz13 but do i need to outline the chicken mesh with barbed wires like 2 to 3 lines?
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Gathige
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 02, 2013 10:58:13 AM

QD wrote:
1.Land in Kajiado county

@QD, Fencing is expensive esp if it is to be done of good quality stuff. Good cedar posts on average costs 400/post. There are cheaper blue gum posts painted green and they are useless as they absorb water and rot. Use chicken/wire mesh to keep of goats as they are a nuisance. Alternative to chicken/wire mesh is to have the barbed wire done at short-internals to minimize gaps. Get a good fencing guy to ensure the posts and wire are well done and firm.

If u could be specific on where in kajiado county( It stretches from Ronga to Namanga!), i could give u some leads.

My 2 cents
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
majimaji
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 02, 2013 11:58:02 AM

Caution: If no one is guarding your shamba, the whole fence may be stolen, the metal for sale as scrap and posts for re-sale. It happened to me in ruai, first they stole the wire, then the posts started going missing one by one.
Consider doing a live fence.
webish
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 02, 2013 12:14:51 PM

majimaji wrote:

Sorry, Live fence you mean?

Kayapa(sp) etc ?

Life is joy, death is peace, but the transition is very difficult.
Gathige
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 02, 2013 12:18:24 PM

majimaji wrote:

Caution: If no one is guarding your shamba, the whole fence may be stolen, the metal for sale as scrap and posts for re-sale. It happened to me in ruai, first they stole the wire, then the posts started going missing one by one.

@ Majimaji, Good Point. No need of fencing if you are absent from the farm. Better to get someone to rent and use the farm as is and only fence when ready to invest in.

I recently did a budget to fence a 12 acre plot and the budget came close to 1 m and i decided to give it a break for the time being. Nimeachia maasai wachunge mbuzi huko!
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
jguru
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 02, 2013 12:51:11 PM

webish wrote:
majimaji wrote:

Sorry, Live fence you mean?

Kayapa(sp) etc ?

Maybe ile iko na stima?

Electric fence? 5 acres?

d'oh!
Set out to correct the world's wrongs and you will most certainly wind up adding to them.
Rankaz13
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 02, 2013 1:05:53 PM

QD wrote:
Rankaz13 wrote:
QD wrote:
1.Land in Kajiado county

Thanks @Rankaz13 but do i need to outline the chicken mesh with barbed wires like 2 to 3 lines?

yeah, that would work ok. But I really need to emphasize, if you don't police it literally, utashangaa. Then on the outside of the mesh fence, you can plant a live fence, most common being kei apple (commonly called kayava) or bougainvillea. I'm reliably informed the latter helps keep snakes away but I'm yet to confirm that.
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
QD
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 02, 2013 2:01:49 PM

Gathige wrote:
QD wrote:
1.Land in Kajiado county

@QD, Fencing is expensive esp if it is to be done of good quality stuff. Good cedar posts on average costs 400/post. There are cheaper blue gum posts painted green and they are useless as they absorb water and rot. Use chicken/wire mesh to keep of goats as they are a nuisance. Alternative to chicken/wire mesh is to have the barbed wire done at short-internals to minimize gaps. Get a good fencing guy to ensure the posts and wire are well done and firm.

If u could be specific on where in kajiado county( It stretches from Ronga to Namanga!), i could give u some leads.

My 2 cents

Thanks @Gathige actually the land is in Isinya adjacent to mboga tu and any leads would be much appreciated.
QD
#11 Posted : Tuesday, July 02, 2013 2:04:22 PM

majimaji wrote:

@majimaji point taken coz i want to actively use the fenced part of the shamba i hope all will remain intact and has also developed friendship with my masai neighbors.
ahoo
#12 Posted : Tuesday, July 02, 2013 2:14:02 PM

QD wrote:
1.Land in Kajiado county

How much do you anticipate to spend?please keep me posted on your budget and progress sdomondis et yahoo dot com.Hoping to do a similar project in the same area
You were put on this earth to achieve your greatest self, to live out your purpose, and to do it fearlessly.
The optimist
#13 Posted : Tuesday, July 02, 2013 2:58:10 PM

QD wrote:
1.Land in Kajiado county

I would also stick to live fence. Kama hiyo imesemwa ya Kayaba(Kei apple fence) whose maintenance is negligible.

If you really need to ensure that movement into the plot is restricted, you can line the live fence with wire mesh and possibly employ a bawabu to check it out for you.
webish
#14 Posted : Tuesday, July 02, 2013 3:07:23 PM

btw, Kayapa(sp) takes quite a while to grow. or to "shika".

Be warned.

Life is joy, death is peace, but the transition is very difficult.
Njung'e
#15 Posted : Tuesday, July 02, 2013 3:42:28 PM

What is it you want to keep out or in?
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
ZZE123
#16 Posted : Tuesday, July 02, 2013 7:36:56 PM

majimaji wrote:

Agreed - There is a plant that grows quite well in Kajiado and makes a good fence not sure its name but it produces some milky stuff if you break its branches (while growing up and your parents refused to "take you to the river" one would put that milky stuff in your manhood and it would swell forcing the parents to sort one out) Go to Maanzoni lodge and you will see the fence by the swimming pool.
The man who marries a beautiful woman, and the farmer who grows corn by the roadside have the same problem
leona
#17 Posted : Tuesday, July 02, 2013 10:26:21 PM

For Kajiado, you can do Cactus(various species) and Bougainvillea.. they're both cost effective and thrive well there
Nevermind what haters say, ignore them til they fade away - Just live your life
Rankaz13
#18 Posted : Tuesday, July 02, 2013 10:33:14 PM

ZZE123 wrote:
majimaji wrote:

Agreed - There is a plant that grows quite well in Kajiado and makes a good fence not sure its name but it produces some milky stuff if you break its branches (while growing up and your parents refused to "take you to the river" one would put that milky stuff in your manhood and it would swell forcing the parents to sort one out) Go to Maanzoni lodge and you will see the fence by the swimming pool.

Where I'm harvested from, I think it's locally known as Kariaria.
QD
#19 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2013 9:03:11 AM

Njung'e wrote:
What is it you want to keep out or in?

@Njung'e mostly anything that would trespass and interfere with the farming am intending to undertake within the plot.
QD
#20 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2013 9:06:04 AM

Thanks all for your contribution. For the proponents of live fencing, i agree but this will be progressive as farming continue and yes a masai keeper/Wochi will be based in the farm.

@Gathige still waiting on your leads please.