wazua Fri, Apr 19, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Venturing into mitumba shoes business
Rahatupu
#1 Posted : Friday, May 31, 2013 3:13:37 PM

Could someone with experience in this field kindly help me learn the ropes of this trade. I'm told it is a secretive niche but I have sources that seem very promisng and marketing agents (brokers) to do the spade work once the container lands. Advice please.
mkeiyd
#2 Posted : Friday, May 31, 2013 3:17:44 PM

@Rahatupu, Which country will your shipments be from? Are they men , ladies, children or mixed shoes? What grade? If you have source and brokers, what exact advice are you looking for?
Rahatupu
#3 Posted : Friday, May 31, 2013 4:28:33 PM

mkeiyd wrote:
@Rahatupu, Which country will your shipments be from? Are they men , ladies, children or mixed shoes? What grade? If you have source and brokers, what exact advice are you looking for?

@Mkeiyd, thanks.
1. I am contemplating importing from Korea, Belgium or USA depending on profitability. From where is quality highest?

2. I am seeking advise on which category of shoes move faster and fetch better margins. Mixed shoes look to be the better option. (Your opinion?)

3. I am seeking all info there is for starters,
a) Buying prices CIF to Mombasa in USD as well as terms of payment.
b) Margin differential from different countries/suppliers.
c) reliability of source/suppliers are there any who are reknown in quality and reliability?
d)Marketing issues with brokers, their reliability.
e) How best to enter the market (small small) or full throttle?

mkeiyd
#4 Posted : Friday, May 31, 2013 4:51:24 PM

Rahatupu wrote:
mkeiyd wrote:

@Mkeiyd, thanks.
1. I am contemplating importing from Korea, Belgium or USA depending on profitability. From where is quality highest? Korean shoes are mostly not leather,their quality is the lowest. But you are after margins,not quality.

2. I am seeking advise on which category of shoes move faster and fetch better margins. Mixed shoes look to be the better option. (Your opinion?) Men and children shoes move faster than mixed with better margins, avoid ladies.

a) Buying prices CIF to Mombasa in USD as well as terms of payment.That depends on the FOB and port of origin,your sources should help you on that.The first shipment,have your eyes there.
b) Margin differential from different countries/suppliers.Canada gives the best margins,then US and Germany. Throw everybody else after the first 3.
c) reliability of source/suppliers are there any who are reknown in quality and reliability?It will be hard to get them from a reknowned supplier,not unless you have the deepest pockets around or the supplier is your rela.
d)Marketing issues with brokers, their reliability.That's where you need to spend more time. Are those brokers people well known to you? Do you have any experience at all?
e) How best to enter the market (small small) or full throttle? Pole pole ndio mwendo. Try with a single shipment, a 20 or a 40 shld get you started.

a4architect.com
#5 Posted : Friday, May 31, 2013 6:17:02 PM

Have you checked with Ethiopia? They have very high quality leather shoes selling very cheaply. Plus you can simply cross them through the border and evade alot of shipping/port costs if you know what i mean...
As Iron Sharpens Iron, So one Man Sharpens Another.
Rahatupu
#6 Posted : Friday, May 31, 2013 8:10:11 PM

mkeiyd wrote:
Rahatupu wrote:
mkeiyd wrote:

@Mkeiyd, thanks.
1. I am contemplating importing from Korea, Belgium or USA depending on profitability. From where is quality highest? Korean shoes are mostly not leather,their quality is the lowest. But you are after margins,not quality.

2. I am seeking advise on which category of shoes move faster and fetch better margins. Mixed shoes look to be the better option. (Your opinion?) Men and children shoes move faster than mixed with better margins, avoid ladies.

a) Buying prices CIF to Mombasa in USD as well as terms of payment.That depends on the FOB and port of origin,your sources should help you on that.The first shipment,have your eyes there.
b) Margin differential from different countries/suppliers.Canada gives the best margins,then US and Germany. Throw everybody else after the first 3.
c) reliability of source/suppliers are there any who are reknown in quality and reliability?It will be hard to get them from a reknowned supplier,not unless you have the deepest pockets around or the supplier is your rela.
d)Marketing issues with brokers, their reliability.That's where you need to spend more time. Are those brokers people well known to you? Do you have any experience at all?
e) How best to enter the market (small small) or full throttle? Pole pole ndio mwendo. Try with a single shipment, a 20 or a 40 shld get you started.

Thanks Mkeied, A4arch learning nayo! Any sources/suppliers that I can talk to? Can online searches yield desired results?

a4architect.com
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 01, 2013 9:23:37 AM

@rahatupu.. here is a list of major Ethiopian shoe manufacturers http://www.elia.org.et/e...amp;id=19&Itemid=16

http://www.bdlive.co.za/...e-shoemaker-to-the-world
As Iron Sharpens Iron, So one Man Sharpens Another.
KulaRaha
#8 Posted : Saturday, June 01, 2013 9:47:59 AM

What about ladies shoes? Specifically high heels?
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
kryptonite
#9 Posted : Sunday, June 02, 2013 4:05:35 PM

mkeiyd wrote:
Rahatupu wrote:
mkeiyd wrote:

Interesting...and all along I thought ladies' shoes were the ultimate rich vein of gold. Care to elaborate further @mkeiyd?

The harder you work, the luckier you get
nakujua
#10 Posted : Sunday, June 02, 2013 6:37:30 PM

Rahatupu wrote:

Could someone with experience in this field kindly help me learn the ropes of this trade. I'm told it is a secretive niche but I have sources that seem very promisng and marketing agents (brokers) to do the spade work once the container lands. Advice please.

there is nothing secretive or niche about the mitumba trade, just that your sources will cheat you about the quality you are getting and your brokers will cheat you out of the few good quality bales that you manage to get.
my advice unless you want to blow away your 5+ m, visit your sources and if possible be there or have someone when the container is being loaded and start selling them before the container lands, plus have a secure well monitored unloading place locally - the brokers will switch the good bales with bad ones, or open up the bales rendering them useless when it comes to sell.

all the best, if you get it right its a gold mine
Rahatupu
#11 Posted : Monday, June 03, 2013 7:34:15 PM

Many thanks. Just starting the due diligence process maybe upton Sept, if all progreses we'll. Will get back with feedback as we'll as more queries when they arise.

@A4arch, how good is the Ethiopia new shoes connection esp on returns as we'll as effort required for new venture? Been we'll past Moyale night a few pairs but never thought of it in a major business way.
Fullykenyan
#12 Posted : Friday, April 06, 2018 11:53:17 PM

Rahatupu wrote:
Many thanks. Just starting the due diligence process maybe upton Sept, if all progreses we'll. Will get back with feedback as we'll as more queries when they arise.

@A4arch, how good is the Ethiopia new shoes connection esp on returns as we'll as effort required for new venture? Been we'll past Moyale night a few pairs but never thought of it in a major business way.

@ Rahatupu, did you ever manage to start this Business?
I can source for quality shoes from Germany, my problem is the connection in Gikomba. How good are you in this?. I can sort you out on quality and reliability, and i hope you can sort me out when the goods arrive in Kenya. Symbiosis kind of relationship
hobbit
#13 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2018 9:30:55 AM

Fullykenyan wrote:
Rahatupu wrote:

I can source for quality shoes from Germany, my problem is the connection in Gikomba. How good are you in this?. I can sort you out on quality and reliability, and i hope you can sort me out when the goods arrive in Kenya. Symbiosis kind of relationship

@FullyKenyan, hit me on hnjenga@gmail.com. Am in gikosh but we buy from china guys importing locally. Lets discuss and see if we can hack something.
Fullykenyan
#14 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2018 3:24:03 PM

hobbit wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:
Rahatupu wrote:

@FullyKenyan, hit me on hnjenga@gmail.com. Am in gikosh but we buy from china guys importing locally. Lets discuss and see if we can hack something.

Okay, sending you an email in Minute..
pritom3700
#15 Posted : Thursday, September 20, 2018 9:53:18 AM

it will be better if you start amazon fba selling