wazua Sun, May 19, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Mediocrity in offices/Workplaces
Toxicity
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 3:47:34 PM

Yes,why is it that some offices, more so the last two i have worked in, there is so much mediocrity among the employees? If it is a project that is being deployed people just run around like headless chickens without proper plan,If it is hiring most people have nice resumes but cant perform any technical work, blaming each other on failures etc etc, I left my previous employer because of this but where i joined i thought it is better but it appears to be worse.
It is like people just wait for the salary and organize travels but when it comes to real work you ask someone what he/she has been up to in the last three or so months ..there is nothing much said. Also being in a technical field most if not all of the seniors I have worked with if you question them or tell them your thoughts they come up with the cliche of I have done this more than you so this is the right way, with some intimidating emails(that i don't reply to). What is happening? Is it just me or are there any other people who have seen this at their work places?
update president set president = speaker where president is null
mkenyan
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 3:53:33 PM

you appear to be the only thing those two work places had in common.
Phaoro
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 4:05:35 PM

Toxicity wrote:
Yes,why is it that some offices, more so the last two i have worked in, there is so much mediocrity among the employees? If it is a project that is being deployed people just run around like headless chickens without proper plan,If it is hiring most people have nice resumes but cant perform any technical work, blaming each other on failures etc etc, I left my previous employer because of this but where i joined i thought it is better but it appears to be worse.
It is like people just wait for the salary and organize travels but when it comes to real work you ask someone what he/she has been up to in the last three or so months ..there is nothing much said. Also being in a technical field most if not all of the seniors I have worked with if you question them or tell them your thoughts they come up with the cliche of I have done this more than you so this is the right way, with some intimidating emails(that i don't reply to). What is happening? Is it just me or are there any other people who have seen this at their work places?

@ Toxicity

What line of work?
Prime
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 4:21:29 PM

I feel what you have observed. You will be amazed at just how much of that work just requires a little common sense and some practice. But mostly the former. why would someone in his/her senses wait until the last minute to rush through some job they had so much time to do? why would someone keep repeating the same error over and over? why is it that the loudest at work always ends up performing dismally? Why would someone get domez at home and kasirikia everyone at work the whole day, to the extent of being rude? Why would someone act like they have been forced to do their job by their neck? Why would someone try to squeeze as much time outside the office and as little time inside? Why is it that those who start brightest in a new job, eager to learn and all that end up being the worst over time? Why... why why?
mkeiyd
#5 Posted : Friday, May 31, 2013 3:27:02 PM

Toxicity wrote:

@Toxicity, Nobody seems to know or care about anything these days. Maybe we should start by closing all the mushrooming colleges and universities. People stopped working hard kitambo. Banks have idiots in the name of employees, NOT all of them, but majority that i deal with. You end up explaining to them what to do as if you are the one working with a bank.

Bear with the times then later on open your own firm. After that you can be firing those sorry asses whenever they start behaving as if the office is their grandma's crib.
seppuku
#6 Posted : Friday, May 31, 2013 4:42:29 PM

Yet we castigated Duale with his "If MPs are thieves... Kenyans are thieves..." rhetoric. That man was right. Mediocrity, thievery, corruption... you name it. These things pervade our society to an extent larger than many people are prepared to appreciate. The important question for each one of us is, am I fostering this culture or fighting it?
Learn first to treat your time as you would your money, then treat your money as you do your time.
Mukiri
#7 Posted : Friday, May 31, 2013 5:46:10 PM

Just like there is so much evil in the world, would you commit suicide?

Funny thing is that, where others see a problem, someone might see an opportunity. An opportunity to organize, to bring together, to shine... maybe a promotion, maybe consultancy, maybe more money, maybe...

Proverbs 19:21
tinker
#8 Posted : Sunday, June 02, 2013 4:38:48 PM

@Toxicity
Thats how entrepreneurship is born, you put all your effort and passion only to realise that those purporting to be doing it are real jokers, hence you find yourself compelled to streamline it - this time as a boss.
....He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion..
seppuku
#9 Posted : Monday, June 03, 2013 3:23:46 PM

@Mukiri, @tinker, good points...
Learn first to treat your time as you would your money, then treat your money as you do your time.
Gathige
#10 Posted : Monday, June 03, 2013 4:12:21 PM

@Toxicity, you could also be the problem. It does not seem right for the same problem to persist in two different organizations that you have worked in.
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
poundfoolish
#11 Posted : Monday, June 03, 2013 5:18:05 PM

I work in an organisation where even the improper use of initials (in caps, with the dots) is critical...I hang around some old fellows where details, order and time is crucial..

when you are in such an environment, then venture out, its easier to spot what @toxicity is talking about.
the problem is perverse in GoK and those 'for money' private businesses... sadly ran by Miros...
wa P
#12 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2013 10:46:34 AM

@Toxicity yours is a good observation that require sober debate. You are not alone.

There is so little being done, and so much time being wasted generally that its a miracle some companies still exist.

I am doing something about it...5 years from now we shall revolutionize workplace so much...its own mother wont recognize it.
guru267
#13 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2013 2:16:48 PM

This is the first thing I noted when I started working... The level of incompetence is too high!
Mark 12:29
Deuteronomy 4:16
Toxicity
#14 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2013 3:35:53 PM

guru267 wrote:
This is the first thing I noted when I started working... The level of incompetence is too high!

Is there anything that can be done? why are qualified degree holders so incompetent? has it to do with the university education in Kenya?
Toxicity
#15 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2013 3:58:00 PM

seppuku wrote:
Yet we castigated Duale with his "If MPs are thieves... Kenyans are thieves..." rhetoric. That man was right. Mediocrity, thievery, corruption... you name it. These things pervade our society to an extent larger than many people are prepared to appreciate. The important question for each one of us is, am I fostering this culture or fighting it?

In primary ..people are forced to cram to pass exams
In High school..People are forced to cram to pass exams
In University...People are chosen for the degree course to pursue...they end up stealing exams in most of the classes and graduate happily with degrees.
At Work place mediocrity is born as these people just pretend to work as they wait for the pay day!, they they realize they can make more money through thievery and corruption!!!! God have mercy!!