wazua Thu, May 2, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages123>»
Hibiscus Tea - Tasty Health Option
Much Know
#1 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2013 1:24:27 PM

Hibiscus tea has a tart, cranberry-like flavor, and sugar is often added to sweeten the beverage, it is a refreshing, fun and tasty drink. Hibiscus tea is an infusion made from crimson or deep magenta-coloured calyces (sepals) of the Hibiscus sabdariffa flower. This flower is organically grown and processed locally by some Europeans in the Mt.Kenya region and mostly exported worldwide from there, apparently it is so widely drunk from Sudan, Ethiopia (where it is traditionally made) to Europe, U.S, Caribbean’s, Catholic monestries for centuries it seems only we have been unaware of this tea.
It is an inexpensive tea and a bag of hygienically packaged 20 packaged tea bags (one tea bag makes a pot of tea) that can take you 10-15 days costs only KES 200/- in the market. I can bring/deliver to you some to try.

This is not the regular muarubaini "neem", stinging nettle, moringa e.t.c unproven "mitishamba" remedies. Research more on the internet and confirm for yourself.

From Wikipedia

Drinking hibiscus tea can lower blood pressure in people with type 2 diabetes,[2] prehypertension, or mild hypertension.[6][7][8] The average systolic blood pressure for diabetics drinking hibiscus tea decreased from 134.8 mmHg (17.97 kPa) at the beginning of one study to 112.7 mmHg (15.03 kPa) at the end of the study, one month later.[2] Drinking 3 cups of hibiscus tea daily for 6 weeks reduced systolic blood pressure by 7 mm Hg in prehypertensive and mildly hypertensive participants. In those with mean systolic blood pressure over 129 mm Hg, the reduction was nearly 14 mm Hg. Hibiscus flowers contain anthocyanins, which are believed to be active antihypertensive compounds, acting as angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors.
The effects of drinking hibiscus tea are comparable to blood-pressure medication. A study published in 2007 compared Hibiscus sabdariffa L. to the drug lisinopril on people with hypertension. Hibiscus "decreased blood pressure (BP) from 146.48/97.77 to 129.89/85.96 mmHg, reaching an absolute reduction of 17.14/11.97 mmHg (11.58/12.21%, p < 0.05)." Blood pressure "reductions and therapeutic effectiveness were lower than those obtained with lisinopril (p < 0.05)." The authors concluded that hibiscus "exerted important antihypertensive effectiveness with a wide margin of tolerability and safety, while it also significantly reduced plasma ACE activity and demonstrated a tendency to reduce serum sodium (Na) concentrations without modifying potassium (K) levels." They attributed the blood pressure reducing effect of hibiscus to its diuretic effect and its ability to inhibit the angiotensin-converting enzyme through the presence of anthocyanins.[9]
A 2004 study compared the effectiveness of hibiscus to the ACE-inhibiting drug captopril. The authors found that the "obtained data confirm that the H. sabdariffa extract, standardized on 9.6mg of total anthocyanins, and captopril 50 mg/day, did not show significant differences relative to hypotensive effect, antihypertensive effectiveness, and tolerability."[10]

A New Kenya
Wendz
#2 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2013 1:36:35 PM

It's an acquired taste this one. But am not good with anything "healthy" anyway.... I still have a packet i was sent back in the day.... must be expired alreadySad
selah
#3 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2013 1:44:03 PM

Wendz wrote:
It's an acquired taste this one. But am not good with anything "healthy" anyway.... I still have a packet i was sent back in the day.... must be expired alreadySad

hehehe Me too ....There is also this wheatgrass people are drinking nowadays...to boost their immunity...I dont think I can take a sip of that drink ..it is disgusting....why shld healthy drinks be always tasteless and bland?

'......to the acknowledgment of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; 3 In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.' Colossians 2:2-3
Wendz
#4 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2013 2:06:38 PM

selah wrote:
Wendz wrote:

hehehe Me too ....There is also this wheatgrass people are drinking nowadays...to boost their immunity...I dont think I can take a sip of that drink ..it is disgusting....why shld healthy drinks be always tasteless and bland?

precisely.... Me wonders too. ati beetroot, marubaini, whatever... the other day i bumped into a high school heartthrob who has taken on "seeds".... ati pumpkin seeds and flax, and almonds and.... whatever.... Can't hack it! as long as it is not "overboard" unhealthy, am good with whatever comes my way especially if it contains sugar or honey. this thread actually made me pinch on some chocolate i'd forgotten in my desk... thanks to the mention of "healthy"..... it's that bad.
Much Know
#5 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2013 2:43:06 PM

@wendz, this one is indeed tasty, it is 80% hibiscus and 20% lemongrass to add a citrus twist to it, very refreshing, i can send over to you a chilled and sweetened drink to taste if you are in Nairobi CBD or close by, it is fantastic and you can taste then tell me and others. It is almost like that blackcurrant soda cold (but better), the people like Ethopians, Egyptians, Sudanese, Eritreans and Italians have been drinking it purely for enjoyment for centuries, then i can send you one months supply to start you and your family off on a pleasurable journey to health, i guarantee it is tasty and you will be putting more tea bags than recommended to get more flavor. When can i bring some over? My email; sanamjuaji(kwa)gmail(ndot)com
A New Kenya
rryyzz
#6 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2013 2:56:24 PM

Much Know wrote:
@wendz, this one is indeed tasty, it is 80% hibiscus and 20% lemongrass to add a citrus twist to it, very refreshing, i can send over to you a chilled and sweetened drink to taste if you are in Nairobi CBD or close by, it is fantastic and you can taste then tell me and others. It is almost like that blackcurrant soda cold (but better), the people like Ethopians, Egyptians, Sudanese, Eritreans and Italians have been drinking it purely for enjoyment for centuries, then i can send you one months supply to start you and your family off on a pleasurable journey to health, i guarantee it is tasty and you will be putting more tea bags than recommended to get more flavor. When can i bring some over? My email; sanamjuaji(kwa)gmail(ndot)com

@Much Know, you produce this yourself? If not where is this manufactured?
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.... Leo Buscaglia
Much Know
#7 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2013 3:09:10 PM

rryyzz wrote:
Much Know wrote:

I do not produce myself though i have planted the plant for future, it is manufactured (rather blended and packaged as not much processing takes place and also some people just use the dried petals for making tea and buy them packed just dried) by a European farm in Meru who then mostly export to Japan, Britain a number of E.U countries and the U.S.A, it is in tea bags, i intend to promote it's use for the health benefits and therefore buy bulk teabags from factory and resale in suitable quantities in efforts to promote it's use locally and create awareness. Can i bring you some?
A New Kenya
Wendz
#8 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2013 3:51:38 PM

Much Know wrote:

if you say it has some lemon/citrus twist to it, then it must taste better than mine.
majimaji
#9 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2013 4:06:43 PM

Much Know wrote:
rryyzz wrote:
Much Know wrote:

I do not produce myself though i have planted the plant for future, it is manufactured (rather blended and packaged as not much processing takes place and also some people just use the dried petals for making tea and buy them packed just dried) by a European farm in Meru who then mostly export to Japan, Britain a number of E.U countries and the U.S.A, it is in tea bags, i intend to promote it's use for the health benefits and therefore buy bulk teabags from factory and resale in suitable quantities in efforts to promote it's use locally and create awareness. Can i bring you some?

where can i buy? my systolic ain't so good.
kamundu
#10 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2013 6:37:35 PM

I use winnies pure health. get it at nakumatt. Place teabag in hot water. Add honey. Tamu sana
Peace in our Homeland.
Much Know
#11 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2013 6:40:49 PM

majimaji wrote:
Much Know wrote:
rryyzz wrote:
Much Know wrote:

where can i buy? my systolic ain't so good.

You can buy it at some health shops like healthy u in yaya, and winnies but their mix does not have lemongrass and i donno about the quality and freshness and may be probably imported leftovers from sudan and repacked here, mine the company is right under my nose, best quality, beatiful boquet reduces BP kama mshale! in six weeks aeroplane weh!,yet it will cost you much less but i am giving great discounts and could send "a lovely lady" over to demonstrate or come in person and give you a taste of the chilled sweetened drink(if you are diabetic warn me so i bring sugarless), when people taste what you've made and tell them what it is, they will respect you, email me your contacts sanamjuaju(ati)gmail(doooht)com and we can organize a pack. Minimum is KES 200/-, for a week supply. Am doing this cause i believe this tea has a greeeeaaat future! I have used it for quite sometime! I even mix my one or two tots with it! BTW i am a transport person, but this tea i could not just ignore. Yummy plus healthy, a rare combination, and anyone can take it, you don't have to have "health issues"!
A New Kenya
Much Know
#12 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2013 6:56:09 PM

Wendz wrote:
Much Know wrote:

if you say it has some lemon/citrus twist to it, then it must taste better than mine.

@Wendz, the secret to great tasting food and drinks is in the nose! if you shut your nose you cant tell the flavor or even special taste of some foods except the sweet sour bitter astrigent which are on the tongue, the hibiscus you got is not fresh, it has to have a beautiful bouquet smell to taste flavorful, then you get the astringent and sweet from adding sugar and lemongrass, we are talking a very different set of products here, try mine. Its like judging chocolate based on those yuk dingy Egyptian chocolates sold by hawkers in the streets and in buses or taking bad matumbo and assuming all mutumbo is yuk! The quality of this tea is amazing and you will shock people when you give them to drink.
A New Kenya
Mukiri
#13 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2013 9:48:48 PM

I, unlike the two above, am very health conscious. I'll give this a try.

It doesn't take a genius to know food combinations. If you can't eat rice alone, spaghetti or bread or cakes etc alone, why would you want to drink Wheatgrass by itself? Add stevia or honey or mix it in something.

End justifies means. Do you enjoy waking up, breaking your back etc? But you know the end results, no? Good fat wallet. Take care of your body, eat healthy or you might come here to tell us about your passengers! Or start fighting @Imp when he truthfully calls you obese.

Proverbs 19:21
Bigchick
#14 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2013 6:14:30 AM

Much Know wrote:
Wendz wrote:
Much Know wrote:

@Wendz, the secret to great tasting food and drinks is in the nose! if you shut your nose you cant tell the flavor or even special taste of some foods except the sweet sour bitter astrigent which are on the tongue, the hibiscus you got is not fresh, it has to have a beautiful bouquet smell to taste flavorful, then you get the astringent and sweet from adding sugar and lemongrass, we are talking a very different set of products here, try mine. Its like judging chocolate based on those yuk dingy Egyptian chocolates sold by hawkers in the streets and in buses or taking bad matumbo and assuming all mutumbo is yuk! The quality of this tea is amazing and you will shock people when you give them to drink.

Wee Much know umemarket sana.Haya tutanunua.smile

Let me say I believe in healthy living.Yes I have had the drink from Sudan and can vouch for it.A combination of this drink and other healthy options na exercises helped me move from bigchick to midiumchick and now about to achieve smallchick.No am not saying it helps one to loose weight but it helps to keep one healthy to be able to do other physical activities that lead to weight loss.

Weka contact hapa tutume orders.Iko wholesale price for retail resellers?Laughing out loudly smile
Love is beautiful and so are those who share it.With Love, Marriage is an amazing event in ones life time, the foundation of joy, happiness and success.
rryyzz
#15 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:50:08 AM

Much Know wrote:
rryyzz wrote:
Much Know wrote:

I usually take Hibiscus tea, purchased at the supermarkets. I could try yours then compare. Check your mail
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.... Leo Buscaglia
Much Know
#16 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2013 10:53:24 AM

rryyzz wrote:
Much Know wrote:
rryyzz wrote:
Much Know wrote:

I usually take Hibiscus tea, purchased at the supermarkets. I could try yours then compare. Check your mail

Kindly check yours
A New Kenya
Much Know
#17 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2013 10:56:23 AM

Bigchick wrote:
Much Know wrote:
Wendz wrote:
Much Know wrote:

Wee Much know umemarket sana.Haya tutanunua.smile

Let me say I believe in healthy living.Yes I have had the drink from Sudan and can vouch for it.A combination of this drink and other healthy options na exercises helped me move from bigchick to midiumchick and now about to achieve smallchick.No am not saying it helps one to loose weight but it helps to keep one healthy to be able to do other physical activities that lead to weight loss.

Weka contact hapa tutume orders.Iko wholesale price for retail resellers?Laughing out loudly smile

Applause Great work "bigchick", want to try a months supply, contact ndio hio? sanamjuaji(art)gmail(ndooot)com
A New Kenya
Mwana-ke
#18 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2013 11:31:44 AM

why do you need to add any sugar? I thot for health you reduce on the sugar. I take mine bilaz. I like Nakumatt coz they offer quite a variety of these herbal teas with all kinds of flavour. Really good to take after supper when just relaxing
essyk
#19 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2013 6:09:18 PM

I love this and would love to try but I need a fattening drink.
If you have it holla.
"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.
Impunity
#20 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2013 6:28:10 PM

essyk wrote:
I love this and would love to try but I need a fattening drink.
If you have it holla.

Kumbe yu are this thin @Lorraine?
Sad Sad
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.