wazua Fri, May 3, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tuskys to buy Ukwala
uchumi
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2013 11:19:49 PM

tUSKYS BUYS UKWALA
“I don’t regret the things I’ve done, I regret the things I didn’t do when I had the chance.”
hisah
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2013 11:48:48 PM

http://www.nation.co.ke/...6/-/3e4ifp/-/index.html

Quote:
A local retail giant is said to have acquired a rival’s operations in Nairobi in a bid to consolidate its business in the city.

According to sources who did not want to be named because they are not authorised to speak on behalf of the supermarkets, Tuskys Supermarket has acquired Ukwala supermarket’s Nairobi operations for an undisclosed amount.

“I am aware they (Tuskys) have acquired Ukwala’s outlets in Nairobi,” the source told Nation last week.

Neither Ukwala nor Tuskys’ managers could not be reached for comment, but insiders said the deal has been finalised but the management has not found it appropriate to bring it to light yet.

Very interesting these retail shop moves going by nakumatt private equity then the foreigners bid appetite for uchumi. Reap ground for some M&A deals soon.
$15/barrel oil... The commodities lehman moment arrives as well as Sovereign debt volcano!
kryptonite
#3 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2013 8:28:31 AM

hisah wrote:
http://www.nation.co.ke/business/news/Has-Tuskys-bought-out-its-rival-in-Nairobi/-/1006/1857366/-/3e4ifp/-/index.html

Quote:
A local retail giant is said to have acquired a rival’s operations in Nairobi in a bid to consolidate its business in the city.

According to sources who did not want to be named because they are not authorised to speak on behalf of the supermarkets, Tuskys Supermarket has acquired Ukwala supermarket’s Nairobi operations for an undisclosed amount.

“I am aware they (Tuskys) have acquired Ukwala’s outlets in Nairobi,” the source told Nation last week.

Neither Ukwala nor Tuskys’ managers could not be reached for comment, but insiders said the deal has been finalised but the management has not found it appropriate to bring it to light yet.

Very interesting these retail shop moves going by nakumatt private equity then the foreigners bid appetite for uchumi. Reap ground for some M&A deals soon.

Sorry to digress, but what English is this?? Sad
DN is getting really complacent.

Back to the topic at hand, did Tuskys resolve the shareholder wrangles and infighting from a year ago?

The harder you work, the luckier you get
youcan'tstopusnow
#4 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2013 8:48:16 AM

Do Tuskys have any plans to list?
GOD BLESS YOUR LIFE
ZZE123
#5 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2013 3:55:52 PM

youcan'tstopusnow wrote:
Do Tuskys have any plans to list?

NO - Most if this family businesses will rarely list - and I think they would make more money if they get an investor to buy part of the company lump sum as Kinuthia did with his company.
The man who marries a beautiful woman, and the farmer who grows corn by the roadside have the same problem
murenj
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 10, 2013 7:53:55 AM

UKWALA SOLD?

A lady at the cash tiller of Ukwala supermarket Tom mboya street informed me that several ukwala branches have been sold. subsequently, ukwala shopping card holders may loose out if they do not cash their points.......d'oh!
Am
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 10, 2013 8:14:54 AM

Tuskys bought some of Ukwala branches a few weeks ago.
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God..
Money Whisperer
#8 Posted : Friday, December 13, 2013 4:22:15 PM

Ukwala should protect their clients by insisting on the cards to run on a parallel system for a period to allow for migration. or is that gava's job to protect consumer's?
"Money never sleeps"
muganda
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 02, 2014 2:30:56 PM

Uhh ooh, what is Tuskys doing wrong? Surely you cannot say their merger with Ukwala for just 3 outlets is anti-competitive. The leader in supermarkets is Nakumatt with Naivas and Uchumi breathing down their neck.

So what are these horizontal restrictive practices that don't apply in the case of Brookside?

http://www.businessdailyafrica....0/-/xakvqrz/-/index.html
mkenyan
#10 Posted : Wednesday, July 02, 2014 4:29:29 PM

muganda wrote:
Uhh ooh, what is Tuskys doing wrong? Surely you cannot say their merger with Ukwala for just 3 outlets is anti-competitive. The leader in supermarkets is Nakumatt with Naivas and Uchumi breathing down their neck.

So what are these horizontal restrictive practices that don't apply in the case of Brookside?

some time back last year had a meeting with people from cak on unrelated issues and asked them why they allowed the brookside one and they told me even if brookside bought all the milk processors it wont be creating a monopoly/wont be anti-competitive as the processed milk market is merely a small percentage of the milk market in kenya. personally thought it was crap.
FRM2011
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 05, 2014 8:05:17 AM

muganda wrote:

@Miranda, I echo your sentiments. Kumbe some dimwit bureaucrat can challenge capitalism as we know it. Tuskys have been forced to close some outlets in the CBD.

So why not stop equity from opening more accounts, and why not stop Miraa transporters to stop buying Toyota hilux and switch to d-max. And why not force bar owners to sell more summit than tusker. And stop Nairobi bottlers from selling more until Softa can catch up with them.

May be this concept is new to me. Any wazuan who is well travelled to shed some light on this strange concept of anti-competitive behaviour.
mkenyan
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 05, 2014 8:31:09 AM

FRM2011 wrote:
muganda wrote:

@Miranda, I echo your sentiments. Kumbe some dimwit bureaucrat can challenge capitalism as we know it. Tuskys have been forced to close some outlets in the CBD.

So why not stop equity from opening more accounts, and why not stop Miraa transporters to stop buying Toyota hilux and switch to d-max. And why not force bar owners to sell more summit than tusker. And stop Nairobi bottlers from selling more until Softa can catch up with them.

May be this concept is new to me. Any wazuan who is well travelled to shed some light on this strange concept of anti-competitive behaviour.

your arguements don't make any sense.
YoungMulla
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 05, 2014 8:53:00 AM

mkenyan wrote:
muganda wrote:

some time back last year had a meeting with people from cak on unrelated issues and asked them why they allowed the brookside one and they told me even if brookside bought all the milk processors it wont be creating a monopoly/wont be anti-competitive as the processed milk market is merely a small percentage of the milk market in kenya. personally thought it was crap.

Using the same argument one can also argue that supermarkets also make up a small percent of retail outlets in Kenya i.e.we have shops and kiosks too.
Before I die - i will touch the sky!!
Mart_Consult
#14 Posted : Tuesday, August 05, 2014 6:01:58 PM

Tuskys game play should be for Ukwala to form a subsidiary company for the urban shops then sell this company to them so that these income-generating business lines are owned by/transferred to them...or alternatievly sell the whole Ukwala company to Tuskys (I'm not aware of all of the former's business activities though)...are buyouts regulated by the CA as well? That would be an infringement of rights...
I went into the (Ferry) industry knowing the same thing I knew with all other businesses I went into- Nothing. Then I built it from there. - Sheldon Adelson (Titans at the Table- Giants of Macau)