VituVingiSana wrote:
mwekez@ji wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
KQ helping its shareholder KCB by narrowing provisions for bad debts: Down 37% from KShs. 958Mn to KShs. 600Mn.
Not true. KCB converted a loan (probably secured) to (unsecured) equity.

Not reverse, asking for a friend?

It's as @vvs has stated but why he believes it would have no impact on provisions defeats logic
Substance over Form. Yes, it probably reduced the provisions but not because there were recoveries or regularization of the loans. The Capital Ratios took a hit. "Equity" investments in entities like KQLC are not included in critical Capital Ratios calculations.

If all the NPLs for any bank were converted to shares in (bankrupt) firms, would the bank become healthier?

Of course not if the amount was significant but in this case it's not! KCB assets are fast approaching 1trillion!!!

Actually, KCB converted unsecured loan to a secured loan (secured partly by the KQ shares through KQLC and partly by government guarantee)

Why would KCB have lent KQ UNSECURED funds?
I can understand lending unsecured funds to strong firms with a good management, decent cashflow and strong parents like BAT, even EABL with its problems, among others but KQ has been losing billions since 2012.
KCB should have had better insight into KQ than we do.

Most banks dont conduct due diligence when lending to "big companies" as it was the Case with Nakumatt.

Plus the aspect of a common shareholder (The Treasury)...
That makes sense. KCB could have been arm-twisted into lending to KQ. Then what about Equity, I&M and other local banks?

Equity and I&M were desperately looking for customers to lend money.
Why is the interest rate at which kcb charged kq higher than that of Equity bank and I&M?
I am a fan of JM and I do not understand the reason for giving KQ a loan if it was unsecured.
From what I understand, Equity refused to accept the initial proposal from GoK/KQ for the Debt Conversion. Banks like I&M went "Yes, Massah" to the initial proposal.
JM (who has skin in the game) tossed the initial proposal into the loo. That's why JM is who he is.

What "reputation" damage would KCB (or any lender) face for selling off Pride Center?
As a bank, it (among other banks) put customers' deposits at risk by lending to a bankrupt and corrupt organization.

The former CFO should be in jail. His subordinates are in court for fleecing KQ.

GoK holds 17% of KCB shares. Deposits in KCB (by my estimates) held by GoK compose over 60% of the book! You simply cannot bite the hand that feeds you.. I may be wrong, but I think I am right

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
Ebenyo
#1002 Posted : Monday, July 02, 2018 6:37:10 PM

mwekez@ji wrote:
Cytonn has in the past week bought KCB shares. I welcome them back to simba https://cytonnreport.com/researc...-markets-review#equities

I advise them to hold the shares for long term gains.KCB is a very valuable investment option.Cyton should stop speculation.
Towards the goal of financial freedom
VituVingiSana
#1003 Posted : Monday, July 02, 2018 8:44:09 PM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Superprime1 wrote:
whiteowl wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
mwekez@ji wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
KQ helping its shareholder KCB by narrowing provisions for bad debts: Down 37% from KShs. 958Mn to KShs. 600Mn.

It's as @vvs has stated but why he believes it would have no impact on provisions defeats logic
Substance over Form. Yes, it probably reduced the provisions but not because there were recoveries or regularization of the loans. The Capital Ratios took a hit. "Equity" investments in entities like KQLC are not included in critical Capital Ratios calculations.

If all the NPLs for any bank were converted to shares in (bankrupt) firms, would the bank become healthier?

Of course not if the amount was significant but in this case it's not! KCB assets are fast approaching 1trillion!!!

Actually, KCB converted unsecured loan to a secured loan (secured partly by the KQ shares through KQLC and partly by government guarantee)

I can understand lending unsecured funds to strong firms with a good management, decent cashflow and strong parents like BAT, even EABL with its problems, among others but KQ has been losing billions since 2012.

Most banks dont conduct due diligence when lending to "big companies" as it was the Case with Nakumatt.

That makes sense. KCB could have been arm-twisted into lending to KQ. Then what about Equity, I&M and other local banks?

Why is the interest rate at which kcb charged kq higher than that of Equity bank and I&M?
I am a fan of JM and I do not understand the reason for giving KQ a loan if it was unsecured.
From what I understand, Equity refused to accept the initial proposal from GoK/KQ for the Debt Conversion. Banks like I&M went "Yes, Massah" to the initial proposal.
JM (who has skin in the game) tossed the initial proposal into the loo. That's why JM is who he is.

What "reputation" damage would KCB (or any lender) face for selling off Pride Center?
As a bank, it (among other banks) put customers' deposits at risk by lending to a bankrupt and corrupt organization.

The former CFO should be in jail. His subordinates are in court for fleecing KQ.

GoK holds 17% of KCB shares. Deposits in KCB (by my estimates) held by GoK compose over 60% of the book! You simply cannot bite the hand that feeds you.. I may be wrong, but I think I am right
What’s the reputational risk to KCB in asking KQ for collateral? And what’s the reputational risk if KCB sold Pride Center at a fair price to recover a debt KQ couldn’t pay?
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
VituVingiSana
#1004 Posted : Monday, July 02, 2018 8:45:45 PM

Ebenyo wrote:
mwekez@ji wrote:
Cytonn has in the past week bought KCB shares. I welcome them back to simba https://cytonnreport.com/researc...-markets-review#equities

I advise them to hold the shares for long term gains.KCB is a very valuable investment option.Cyton should stop speculation.
They seem to have done well with that approach. I am not an Investor in Cytonn or KCB but if it works for them...
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ericsson
#1005 Posted : Monday, July 02, 2018 9:03:55 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Superprime1 wrote:
whiteowl wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
mwekez@ji wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:

What’s the reputational risk to KCB in asking KQ for collateral? And what’s the reputational risk if KCB sold Pride Center at a fair price to recover a debt KQ couldn’t pay?

The debt kq owes kcb will be repaid in one way or another irrespective of who is in power.
The debts are covenants guaranteed by GoK.
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
mlennyma
#1006 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2018 11:48:27 AM

From 45.50 to 49bob,is simba warming up to an interim dividend?
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
Ericsson
#1007 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2018 11:57:21 AM

mlennyma wrote:

Interim dividend will be there in Half year results
Ebenyo
#1008 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2018 4:28:51 PM

Ericsson wrote:
mlennyma wrote:

Interim dividend will be there in Half year results

Last year there was an interim dividend of kshs 1 per share.Lets see what they have for us this year.
Ericsson
#1009 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 12:23:35 PM

https://kenyanwallstreet.com/two-submit-petition-to-senate-over-restriction-of-govt-institutions-bank-accounts-to-kcb/

Two petitioners, Sammy Muriuki and Wanja Maina want counties, state bodies, and ministries to be allowed to hold accounts with other banks besides Kenya Commercial Bank (KCB).

The petitioners also want the government to invite banks for tender pre-qualification in accordance with the Procurement and Public Disposal Act.

These are some of the recommendations the petitioners have presented to the Senate.
An Unfair Practice

The petitioners said the restriction for government bodies to bank with KCB has negatively affected counties through a monopolistic rule. They argued that KCB is not a State bank, therefore, it should not be preferred over other banks. According to them, the practice has been against a free and competitive market.

“We have made the best efforts to have these matters addressed by the relevant authorities all of which have failed to give a satisfactory response and none of the issues we have raised are pending in any court of law, Constitutional, or legal body,” said the petitioners in the petition signed July 6.

Muriuki and Wanja are also of the opinion that KCB’s outlets are not as widespread as those of other banks thereby prohibiting access to financial services by these government institutions.

In their argument, the two petitioners are appalled by the fact that the policy does not apply to other State banks such as National and Consolidated Banks.

The petitioners now want other banks such as Equity, Co-op, and Family to be allowed to compete with KCB for deposits. In their opinion, it is unreasonable to give the Treasury’s Cabinet Secretary and Principal Secretary the power to choose where government institutions can bank.

“KCB has unduly grown on the back of these Government deposits, with the State budget growing to almost Sh2 trillion, these deposits unduly favour KCB,” they asserted.

“All parties will be invited to give their views before the Senate makes recommendations or even devises rules to cure the anomaly if any,” explained Senate deputy whip Irungu Kangata adding that the examination of the petition will be impartial.
VituVingiSana
#1010 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2018 11:51:55 AM

City Hall seeks lender to buy out Sh4.2bn KCB loan
https://www.businessdail...60462-hng6pgz/index.html
jgithige
#1011 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2018 12:14:15 PM

Ericsson wrote:
https://kenyanwallstreet.com/two-submit-petition-to-senate-over-restriction-of-govt-institutions-bank-accounts-to-kcb/

Two petitioners, Sammy Muriuki and Wanja Maina want counties, state bodies, and ministries to be allowed to hold accounts with other banks besides Kenya Commercial Bank (KCB).

The petitioners also want the government to invite banks for tender pre-qualification in accordance with the Procurement and Public Disposal Act.

These are some of the recommendations the petitioners have presented to the Senate.
An Unfair Practice

The petitioners said the restriction for government bodies to bank with KCB has negatively affected counties through a monopolistic rule. They argued that KCB is not a State bank, therefore, it should not be preferred over other banks. According to them, the practice has been against a free and competitive market.

“We have made the best efforts to have these matters addressed by the relevant authorities all of which have failed to give a satisfactory response and none of the issues we have raised are pending in any court of law, Constitutional, or legal body,” said the petitioners in the petition signed July 6.

Muriuki and Wanja are also of the opinion that KCB’s outlets are not as widespread as those of other banks thereby prohibiting access to financial services by these government institutions.

In their argument, the two petitioners are appalled by the fact that the policy does not apply to other State banks such as National and Consolidated Banks.

The petitioners now want other banks such as Equity, Co-op, and Family to be allowed to compete with KCB for deposits. In their opinion, it is unreasonable to give the Treasury’s Cabinet Secretary and Principal Secretary the power to choose where government institutions can bank.

“KCB has unduly grown on the back of these Government deposits, with the State budget growing to almost Sh2 trillion, these deposits unduly favour KCB,” they asserted.

“All parties will be invited to give their views before the Senate makes recommendations or even devises rules to cure the anomaly if any,” explained Senate deputy whip Irungu Kangata adding that the examination of the petition will be impartial.

Simba is a pampered Prince
"Blowing out someone else candle won't make yours shine brighter"-Anonymous
wukan
#1012 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2018 1:22:20 PM

[quote=VituVingiSana]City Hall seeks lender to buy out Sh4.2bn KCB loan
https://www.businessdail...0462-hng6pgz/index.html[/quote]

Quote:
The defunct government refinanced the loan with KCB over what it claimed were unfavourable conditions set by Equity, including a lending rate of 20 per cent and a 60-month repayment period.

KCB bought out the loan in April 2014, slashing the lending rate to 13 per cent, lengthening maturity of the debt to eight years and giving a six-month grace repayment period.

Quite clearly interest rates are not the problem. Lower interest rates and longer maturity and still defaults. Resource allocation and management is the issue. Why would you borrow to pay taxes and pensions?d'oh! d'oh! #
VituVingiSana
#1013 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2018 1:47:43 PM

wukan wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
City Hall seeks lender to buy out Sh4.2bn KCB loan
https://www.businessdail...0462-hng6pgz/index.html

Quote:
The defunct government refinanced the loan with KCB over what it claimed were unfavourable conditions set by Equity, including a lending rate of 20 per cent and a 60-month repayment period.

KCB bought out the loan in April 2014, slashing the lending rate to 13 per cent, lengthening maturity of the debt to eight years and giving a six-month grace repayment period.

Quite clearly interest rates are not the problem. Lower interest rates and longer maturity and still defaults. Resource allocation and management is the issue. Why would you borrow to pay taxes and pensions?d'oh! d'oh! #
Lessons from Big Brother at National Treasury!
obiero
#1014 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2018 7:56:32 PM

wukan wrote:
[quote=VituVingiSana]City Hall seeks lender to buy out Sh4.2bn KCB loan
https://www.businessdail...0462-hng6pgz/index.html[/quote]

Quote:

The problem is the macro environment

obiero
#1015 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2018 7:58:20 PM

Monster volume in the last session

Ericsson
#1016 Posted : Sunday, September 16, 2018 7:27:09 AM

obiero wrote:

Now waiting to see if there will be an upward or downward swing in the share price.
obiero
#1017 Posted : Sunday, September 16, 2018 4:01:33 PM

Ericsson wrote:
obiero wrote:

Now waiting to see if there will be an upward or downward swing in the share price.

That kind of volume in the current state of affairs could only indicate one large buyer against many sellers.. It could well have more downward pressure

lochaz-index
#1018 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2018 9:53:08 AM

obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
obiero wrote:

That kind of volume in the current state of affairs could only indicate one large buyer against many sellers.. It could well have more downward pressure

Whoa! That is huge! Same kind of volume witnessed on BBK counter. The dividend yield on both is a bit hard to ignore. Defensive buy in my opinion.
The main purpose of the stock market is to make fools of as many people as possible.
Ebenyo
#1019 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2018 3:57:06 PM

lochaz-index wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
obiero wrote:

Whoa! That is huge! Same kind of volume witnessed on BBK counter. The dividend yield on both is a bit hard to ignore. Defensive buy in my opinion.

High resistence at 41.00 it seems we will not see below 40 anytime soon especially with quater four results due.
obiero
#1020 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2018 3:59:23 PM

Ebenyo wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
obiero wrote:

High resistence at 41.00 it seems we will not see below 40 anytime soon especially with quater four results due.

Never say never boss