KCB buy buy buy
obiero
#981 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2018 10:40:45 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
KQ helping its shareholder KCB by narrowing provisions for bad debts: Down 37% from KShs. 958Mn to KShs. 600Mn.
Not true. KCB converted a loan (probably secured) to (unsecured) equity.

Not reverse, asking for a friend?

It's as @vvs has stated but why he believes it would have no impact on provisions defeats logic
Substance over Form. Yes, it probably reduced the provisions but not because there were recoveries or regularization of the loans. The Capital Ratios took a hit. "Equity" investments in entities like KQLC are not included in critical Capital Ratios calculations.

If all the NPLs for any bank were converted to shares in (bankrupt) firms, would the bank become healthier?

Of course not if the amount was significant but in this case it's not! KCB assets are fast approaching 1trillion!!!

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
mwekez@ji
#982 Posted : Sunday, July 01, 2018 7:28:43 PM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
KQ helping its shareholder KCB by narrowing provisions for bad debts: Down 37% from KShs. 958Mn to KShs. 600Mn.

It's as @vvs has stated but why he believes it would have no impact on provisions defeats logic
Substance over Form. Yes, it probably reduced the provisions but not because there were recoveries or regularization of the loans. The Capital Ratios took a hit. "Equity" investments in entities like KQLC are not included in critical Capital Ratios calculations.

If all the NPLs for any bank were converted to shares in (bankrupt) firms, would the bank become healthier?

Of course not if the amount was significant but in this case it's not! KCB assets are fast approaching 1trillion!!!

Actually, KCB converted unsecured loan to a secured loan (secured partly by the KQ shares through KQLC and partly by government guarantee)
mwekez@ji
#983 Posted : Sunday, July 01, 2018 7:35:31 PM

Cytonn has in the past week bought KCB shares. I welcome them back to simba https://cytonnreport.com/researc...-markets-review#equities
mlennyma
#984 Posted : Sunday, July 01, 2018 8:24:30 PM

mwekez@ji wrote:
Cytonn has in the past week bought KCB shares. I welcome them back to simba https://cytonnreport.com/researc...-markets-review#equities

we will sell at 100bob next year
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
Ericsson
#985 Posted : Monday, July 02, 2018 8:35:11 AM

mwekez@ji wrote:

I dont see anywhere mentioned that they have bought kcb shares.
Nic bank is the one mentioned explicitly
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Horton
#986 Posted : Monday, July 02, 2018 10:11:43 AM

Ericsson wrote:
mwekez@ji wrote:

They got in last week. Also purchased GCB
xxxxx
#987 Posted : Monday, July 02, 2018 10:33:46 AM

Horton wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
mwekez@ji wrote:

Eish.
.how come they didn't call a press conference??Laughing out loudly
Horton
#988 Posted : Monday, July 02, 2018 10:36:57 AM

xxxxx wrote:
Horton wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
mwekez@ji wrote:

Eish.

🤣🤣 coz ithe investment was in Mirriions not in birrrions 😆
Ericsson
#989 Posted : Monday, July 02, 2018 10:38:22 AM

Horton wrote:
xxxxx wrote:
Horton wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
mwekez@ji wrote:

Eish.

Acha tungoje tuone if it will reach 75 Bob for them to exit
xxxxx
#990 Posted : Monday, July 02, 2018 10:42:08 AM

Ericsson wrote:
Horton wrote:
xxxxx wrote:
Horton wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
mwekez@ji wrote:

Eish.

Urghh... This folly of day trading. They should have stayed invested. Did they think the value in kcb was exhausted????
obiero
#991 Posted : Monday, July 02, 2018 11:01:46 AM

xxxxx wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Horton wrote:
xxxxx wrote:
Horton wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
mwekez@ji wrote:

Eish.

Urghh... This folly of day trading. They should have stayed invested. Did they think the value in kcb was exhausted????

These people are a dangerous lot

VituVingiSana
#992 Posted : Monday, July 02, 2018 11:34:58 AM

mwekez@ji wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:

Actually, KCB converted unsecured loan to a secured loan (secured partly by the KQ shares through KQLC and partly by government guarantee)

Why would KCB have lent KQ UNSECURED funds?
I can understand lending unsecured funds to strong firms with a good management, decent cashflow and strong parents like BAT, even EABL with its problems, among others but KQ has been losing billions since 2012.
KCB should have had better insight into KQ than we do.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
whiteowl
#993 Posted : Monday, July 02, 2018 12:08:46 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
mwekez@ji wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:

I can understand lending unsecured funds to strong firms with a good management, decent cashflow and strong parents like BAT, even EABL with its problems, among others but KQ has been losing billions since 2012.

Most banks dont conduct due diligence when lending to "big companies" as it was the Case with Nakumatt.
Superprime1
#994 Posted : Monday, July 02, 2018 12:41:39 PM

whiteowl wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
mwekez@ji wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:

Most banks dont conduct due diligence when lending to "big companies" as it was the Case with Nakumatt.

Plus the aspect of a common shareholder (The Treasury)...
VituVingiSana
#995 Posted : Monday, July 02, 2018 12:57:27 PM

whiteowl wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
mwekez@ji wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:

KQ has been in the crapper for years. Even if they do not do a complete DD, why not take collateral against it? KQ has "Pride Center" among other assets e.g. land...
I do not have KCB shares but I suffered through Equity and I&M.
It's interesting to note that the "foreign" banks eg BBK and SCBK weren't significantly affected. Could it be they do better DD? Or they could not be arm-twisted into lending to KQ? Or they were more sensible?
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
VituVingiSana
#996 Posted : Monday, July 02, 2018 12:59:03 PM

Superprime1 wrote:
whiteowl wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
mwekez@ji wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:

That makes sense. KCB could have been arm-twisted into lending to KQ. Then what about Equity, I&M and other local banks?
Ericsson
#997 Posted : Monday, July 02, 2018 1:05:43 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Superprime1 wrote:
whiteowl wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
mwekez@ji wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:

That makes sense. KCB could have been arm-twisted into lending to KQ. Then what about Equity, I&M and other local banks?

Equity and I&M were desperately looking for customers to lend money.
Why is the interest rate at which kcb charged kq higher than that of Equity bank and I&M?
obiero
#998 Posted : Monday, July 02, 2018 1:22:47 PM

Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Superprime1 wrote:
whiteowl wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
mwekez@ji wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:

Why is the interest rate at which kcb charged kq higher than that of Equity bank and I&M?

You wont get a decent response from @vvs. He states that KCB should have taken the Pride Centre as collateral and then? In the event of default, the bank would sell off government co-owned property? Huyu @vvs hunishangaza. Its for the same reason that banks do not lend on collateral to Public Universities as well as Public Hospitals and almost all mainstream Churches.. You cannot sell these collateral easily without massive reputational damage

Ericsson
#999 Posted : Monday, July 02, 2018 1:40:07 PM

obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Superprime1 wrote:
whiteowl wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
mwekez@ji wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:

You wont get a decent response from @vvs. He states that KCB should have taken the Pride Centre as collateral and then? In the event of default, the bank would sell off government co-owned property? Huyu @vvs hunishangaza. Its for the same reason that banks do not lend on collateral to Public Universities as well as Public Hospitals and almost all mainstream Churches.. You cannot sell these collateral easily without massive reputational damage

Well spoken like ten elders.
vvs take note of that
VituVingiSana
#1000 Posted : Monday, July 02, 2018 3:33:07 PM

Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Superprime1 wrote:
whiteowl wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
mwekez@ji wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:

I am a fan of JM and I do not understand the reason for giving KQ a loan if it was unsecured.
From what I understand, Equity refused to accept the initial proposal from GoK/KQ for the Debt Conversion. Banks like I&M went "Yes, Massah" to the initial proposal.
JM (who has skin in the game) tossed the initial proposal into the loo. That's why JM is who he is.

What "reputation" damage would KCB (or any lender) face for selling off Pride Center?
As a bank, it (among other banks) put customers' deposits at risk by lending to a bankrupt and corrupt organization.

The former CFO should be in jail. His subordinates are in court for fleecing KQ.