wazua Wed, May 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Harambee
symbols
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 3:26:49 PM

Wikipedia wrote:
Harambee literally means "all pull together" in Swahili

Now,this is something already in our culture,with chamas,saccos,cooperatives and more recently investment clubs.Its been used and abused and might have lost its shine due to many reasons but I believe we can gain from it.

For some time I've been thinking about farming.It is a very popular topic in Wazua.With farming especially greenhouses,I think few people make it and many suffer.The bandwagon effect at work.

I think Kenyans should start focusing on groups to help them achieve their common goals.Take for example,an organization that's geared towards people with greenhouses.If they pool resources together I believe they might achieve something extraordinary.

If some form of contribution is involved it can help with a lot of problems each face individually.Economies of scale.They can create a database for best practices.Emergency funds can be used in case a greenhouse is damaged or something on those lines.They can even target export markets as a coordinated unit.Let me take something @Mukiri brought up,standards.They can easily create standards for the industry so that their produce appeals not only to the locals but the international community.

Resources can also be shared and renumeration appropriately rewarded.Sharing vehicles among them to help in transporting goods,acquiring necessary inputs can be done in bulk.Technology and knowledge can be acquired and distributed among members and sold to non-members.This model can be shifted to other African countries and help deal with food security.

Yes,there are many more issues to be dealt with.Cooperation and developing trust is not easy but the benefits can outweigh the problems.Systems and protocols need to be developed to protect the interests of the group and the individuals..I believe this model can also work in other sectors and that way help develop industries faster and lessen government support and strain.What do you think Wazuans,care to share your thoughts?