wazua Mon, May 6, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Books.
xtina
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 08, 2009 1:42:00 PM

I am a certified book freak! Last Sunday at church,pastor kept talking about a certain book: the God Delusion. I am now looking for it but kwa the few bookshops i have gone,they don't have it.

I also want Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

First there was white power,then black power,now there's no power!
mkristo
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 08, 2009 1:46:00 PM

@xtina.

I too am looking for Satanic Verses; I hear it has something to do with Islam. Let me know when you get it.

the voice of reason
Njunge
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 08, 2009 1:50:00 PM

If my memory is not hanging,satanic verses was banned by the then Nyayo government.......

Guka wa bijuti...
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
aristocrats
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 08, 2009 1:54:00 PM

@xtina,I've a dog-eared copy of Satanic Verses.

I dont know,therefore I ask.
Magigi
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 08, 2009 2:02:00 PM

The writer Salman Rushdie,is still hiding under his bed almost 15 years after its release. Amewekewa fatwa na hao hao. You can't get it in any Kenyan bookshop( who would risk having his bookshop invaded by religious fundamentalists who are drunk with death) It sends shivers down my spine any time I think of a child being strapped around his waist with remote controlled bombs by his father and send to buy sweets across the border (palestine) and as soon as he gets there the button is pushed. God help the poor children. It is a good read. It will make you see the real issues being brought out. But once you get it,you have read it under your blanket!!! Try ordering via Amazon.co.uk.
VituVingiSana
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 08, 2009 2:18:00 PM

Those muslims are crazy. I read the book. I went to sleep. It was BORING. I doubt many muslims read the book. I know I will be vilified but muslims are like sheep. 99.9999% of muslims were told satanic verses ni haramu & like sheep,they followed what they were told.

Greedy when others are fearful,Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase WB
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
xtina
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 08, 2009 2:19:00 PM

Yes,the guy was issued a fatwa by Ayatollah Khomeini,an Iranian cleric who died. i think he goes out,albeit occasionally. But some of his associates who helped him with the book were killed..sad.
The fatwa had been removed for a while,but when the Danish cartoons came up,it was issued again.
That guy is a Shiite Muslim,imagine that.
@ aristocrat.will email you.

First there was white power,then black power,now there's no power!
Obi 1 Kanobi
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 08, 2009 4:08:00 PM

I have read God delusion (by Richard Dawkins) and I have a copy. I really struggled to read it as it has no flow,the content is rather thin and all the writer is trying to do is to counter religion at all costs.

The author having seen what happened to Salman Rushdie opted to concentrate his attacks on christianity and Judaism,while ignoring the more obvious flaws of Islam.

I have Satanic verses also,but I don't feel like reading it anymore as I suspect i will not like it.

I am also a book freak, I can't read as much anymore as I am quite busy.

Xtina. I recommend you try the 'James Clavell' series of books if you like historical novels.

I guess if you can't win with facts,you can always pen bile-laced,xenophobic rants to distract everyone.
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
nyangao
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 08, 2009 7:41:00 PM

For those who like religious literature try readin the tribulation ....@xkristo,why dont u post a link where we can downld the bk,u'll help many access it

hey
eli
#10 Posted : Thursday, April 09, 2009 5:37:00 AM

@xtina
I have seen the book at BookPoint bookshop on Moi Avenue,opposite Nakumatt 'Shell' (Nakumatt Downtown). The book is roughly 600bob!

My atheist friend and a former college-mate told me that if I read the book,I will quit Christianity..........well,I have never dared to read the book,leave alone touching it.

But you shall remember the LORD your God,for it is He who is giving you power to make wealth,that He may confirm His covenant which He swore to your fathers,as it is this day. Deu 8:18
mukiha
#11 Posted : Thursday, April 09, 2009 5:50:00 AM

@VituVingiSana

Be careful the things you write '.....muslims are like sheep. 99.9999% of muslims were told satanic verses ni haramu & like sheep,they followed what they were told.'

Do you remember how Christians responded to 'The Da Vinci Code'?

Blanket generalisations are very dangerous...if you have proof of your statement (99.9999%),then say the same thing tomorrow outside Jamia Mosque
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.