wazua Wed, Jun 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Berkshire Hathaway AGM - Nebraska, Omaha
zizzi
#1 Posted : Friday, April 05, 2013 7:32:52 PM

Fellow Wazuans,

I see that a number of you follow Buffett. I also see that a number of you invest based on the fundamentals of the various companies. I thought it might be interesting for me to share my experiences with you about the Berkshire Hathaway AGM and to encourage you to invest by looking at the fundamentals of the various companies.

To learn more about Buffett, I read (am reading) through the following:

The shareholder letters - http://www.berkshirehath...om/letters/letters.html
(Note buffett had a partnership before as well, if you can source those letters they offer slightly more insight, but reading the above ones will help you alot anyway)

The Intelligent Investor
http://en.wikipedia.org/...he_Intelligent_Investor

Security Analysis - 1942 edition - currently reading this - takes a fair bit of effort and concentration
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_Analysis_(book)

Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Arthur_Fisher

If you have the patience and more importantly the interest, then I would highly recommend you to read through these sources. About 2,000-3,000 pages, but a life time of benefits.

About investing in Berkshire Hathaway and the AGM
(next)
zizzi
#2 Posted : Friday, April 05, 2013 7:34:43 PM

I bought the some 'B' shares. To attend the AGM I think you need only one 'B' share.

So after buying the 'B' shares, I contacted my broker who guided me directly to Berkshire Hathway. I sent Berkshire the details of my shareholdings and they sent over the forms. I believe you dont need to go through this hassle, as if you take proof of your broker statements, you can get your meeting credentials straight away.

Then I had to book my flights and accomodation in Omaha. Being new to the place, I had no idea where to book or what to expect.
First things first - youll have to cab it everywhere - the distances in the US are just mind boggling and there was no good public transport. I stayed near the airport (Eppley Airfield. It is nicer than JKIA and they call it an airfield).

There were three main locations surrounding the meeting. The first was Borsheims, which is a jewellery shop owned by Berkshire. Here on Friday night, they have a kind of cocktail party (but with so many people!). It really is your first glimpse into Berkshire Hathaway's shareholders. I got to speak to all sorts of people, some serious investors, some 'crazy' cool Americans, a number of international people. It was amazing!

The next day, Saturday, is the main event. I got up early and got into queue at 5am. I quickly realised that you dont necessarily need to do this as the hall is quite huge, but if you want a good spot, I recommend going quickly down (not Up the escalators) and sitting directly infront of where Warren and his partner in crime Charlie Munger sit.

The meeting started at I believe 830AM. Once you get a place, reserve it, and then go to the area where all the companies are presenting. Warren came in early and met with a number of shareholders there. I wish I had known.

The meeting itself is interesting, all the shareholders get the opportunity to pick up a ticket to speak. The lucky ones who get chosen can go an ask Warren and CHarlie questions from the 7-9 speakerphones around the hall. There were about 35,000 people there when I went. I was told these were fewer numbers than the previous year.

I highly recommend that you read the different books and articles I mentioned above before going. If you get the chance to ask a question, you want it to be a smart questions. The shareholders were not all financially savvy and asked questions which had very obvious answers. I felt that it was a bit of a waste of time. But Warren and Charlie are smart, they answered many questions in such a way that they were teaching the shareholders things, even if the question was a waste per se.

Those guys eat chocolate (See's candies) and soda (coke, cherry coke) all the time! After all they are marketing the Berkshire companies.

The meeting itself was interesting and there were a number of interesting points that the two spoke about. I will have to dig it up and post my notes later.

I highly recommend buying the lunch voucher. With 35,000 people, the queues to buy hot dogs and stuff was insane.

After the meeting finished, I got to travel to the NetJets hangar, where NetJets were showing off private planes. (Net Jets is the largest fractional owned private jet company in the world and a subsidiary of Berkshire).

All along these points, I got to meet some very interesting, very smart people. It really opened up my eyes to how big Berkshire is, and I am sure I still have no idea.

On Saturday night, I went to the Nebraska Furniture Mart for a barbeque dinner. Again met a number of interesting people there, but at this point, a number of people had not turned up. If you want to do IT shopping while in the US, I think NFM is a good place as they give you shareholder discount.

Sunday, was a full day event at Borsheims. Here I got to see Bill Gates playing bridge with Warren. Warren sold so much jewellery to different shareholders .... I am not sure of the final results, but I hear the numbers were amazing. You can, if you know how to play bridge, play with the guys, if youre lucky.
You can also play chess with some grandmaster and table tennis with Ariel HSing, who represented the US at the London Olympics.

It really was an interesting experience.

In the late evening, people peeled off home and that was really the end of the AGM.

On Sunday night I went to Gorat's stake house in an attempt to enjoy the "delicious" food Warren is known to eat all the time. It was not that amazing. But a cultural vist all the same....met some really interesting people here too!

On Monday, having travelled to the US, I visited Berkshires offices (But ofcourse nobody just gets through to meet hte man himself). Still I heard that Buffett met with CNBC at a diner right near my hotel and I missed it.

I also went to see the guys house, which is quite simple. You have houses in Kenya which are much much larger.

Finally, I also recommend you visit conferences around Omaha before the AGM. I visited one at Creighton University and the other one at UNO (University of Nebraska Omaha)..Here you get more finance professionals, focused value investors.

Ok Ive been typing for sometime now...fire away with any questions you may have!
obiero
#3 Posted : Friday, April 05, 2013 7:45:31 PM

zizzi wrote:
I bought the some 'B' shares. To attend the AGM I think you need only one 'B' share.

So after buying the 'B' shares, I contacted my broker who guided me directly to Berkshire Hathway. I sent Berkshire the details of my shareholdings and they sent over the forms. I believe you dont need to go through this hassle, as if you take proof of your broker statements, you can get your meeting credentials straight away.

Then I had to book my flights and accomodation in Omaha. Being new to the place, I had no idea where to book or what to expect.
First things first - youll have to cab it everywhere - the distances in the US are just mind boggling and there was no good public transport. I stayed near the airport (Eppley Airfield. It is nicer than JKIA and they call it an airfield).

There were three main locations surrounding the meeting. The first was Borsheims, which is a jewellery shop owned by Berkshire. Here on Friday night, they have a kind of cocktail party (but with so many people!). It really is your first glimpse into Berkshire Hathaway's shareholders. I got to speak to all sorts of people, some serious investors, some 'crazy' cool Americans, a number of international people. It was amazing!

The next day, Saturday, is the main event. I got up early and got into queue at 5am. I quickly realised that you dont necessarily need to do this as the hall is quite huge, but if you want a good spot, I recommend going quickly down (not Up the escalators) and sitting directly infront of where Warren and his partner in crime Charlie Munger sit.

The meeting started at I believe 830AM. Once you get a place, reserve it, and then go to the area where all the companies are presenting. Warren came in early and met with a number of shareholders there. I wish I had known.

The meeting itself is interesting, all the shareholders get the opportunity to pick up a ticket to speak. The lucky ones who get chosen can go an ask Warren and CHarlie questions from the 7-9 speakerphones around the hall. There were about 35,000 people there when I went. I was told these were fewer numbers than the previous year.

I highly recommend that you read the different books and articles I mentioned above before going. If you get the chance to ask a question, you want it to be a smart questions. The shareholders were not all financially savvy and asked questions which had very obvious answers. I felt that it was a bit of a waste of time. But Warren and Charlie are smart, they answered many questions in such a way that they were teaching the shareholders things, even if the question was a waste per se.

Those guys eat chocolate (See's candies) and soda (coke, cherry coke) all the time! After all they are marketing the Berkshire companies.

The meeting itself was interesting and there were a number of interesting points that the two spoke about. I will have to dig it up and post my notes later.

I highly recommend buying the lunch voucher. With 35,000 people, the queues to buy hot dogs and stuff was insane.

After the meeting finished, I got to travel to the NetJets hangar, where NetJets were showing off private planes. (Net Jets is the largest fractional owned private jet company in the world and a subsidiary of Berkshire).

All along these points, I got to meet some very interesting, very smart people. It really opened up my eyes to how big Berkshire is, and I am sure I still have no idea.

On Saturday night, I went to the Nebraska Furniture Mart for a barbeque dinner. Again met a number of interesting people there, but at this point, a number of people had not turned up. If you want to do IT shopping while in the US, I think NFM is a good place as they give you shareholder discount.

Sunday, was a full day event at Borsheims. Here I got to see Bill Gates playing bridge with Warren. Warren sold so much jewellery to different shareholders .... I am not sure of the final results, but I hear the numbers were amazing. You can, if you know how to play bridge, play with the guys, if youre lucky.
You can also play chess with some grandmaster and table tennis with Ariel HSing, who represented the US at the London Olympics.

It really was an interesting experience.

In the late evening, people peeled off home and that was really the end of the AGM.

On Sunday night I went to Gorat's stake house in an attempt to enjoy the "delicious" food Warren is known to eat all the time. It was not that amazing. But a cultural vist all the same....met some really interesting people here too!

On Monday, having travelled to the US, I visited Berkshires offices (But ofcourse nobody just gets through to meet hte man himself). Still I heard that Buffett met with CNBC at a diner right near my hotel and I missed it.

I also went to see the guys house, which is quite simple. You have houses in Kenya which are much much larger.

Finally, I also recommend you visit conferences around Omaha before the AGM. I visited one at Creighton University and the other one at UNO (University of Nebraska Omaha)..Here you get more finance professionals, focused value investors.

Ok Ive been typing for sometime now...fire away with any questions you may have!

@zizzi female, no? you sound like someone i would want to know

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 23,800 ABP 6.45
zizzi
#4 Posted : Friday, April 05, 2013 7:54:01 PM

Nope...
Nabwire
#5 Posted : Friday, April 05, 2013 7:56:51 PM

Very interesting, I have never looked at it from that angle, B shares cost only a hundred bucks. So next year I'm definitely buying like 5 shares and attending the AGM. Thanks for sharing, you should read Buffet: The making of an American capitalist, it will give you the background of those companies. Like Nebraska Furniture Mart was managed by this tiny matriarch, I think she passed on, and Buffett learnt alot from her. And LOL at the food, Americans especially midwest older people's definition of good food is just...SMH!! I tried country fried steak once and never again.
Rollout
#6 Posted : Friday, April 05, 2013 8:02:31 PM

Buffett is a boring old man, if you follow his investment advise you'll die average.
zizzi
#7 Posted : Friday, April 05, 2013 9:35:05 PM

Nabwire wrote:
Very interesting, I have never looked at it from that angle, B shares cost only a hundred bucks. So next year I'm definitely buying like 5 shares and attending the AGM. Thanks for sharing, you should read Buffet: The making of an American capitalist, it will give you the background of those companies. Like Nebraska Furniture Mart was managed by this tiny matriarch, I think she passed on, and Buffett learnt alot from her. And LOL at the food, Americans especially midwest older people's definition of good food is just...SMH!! I tried country fried steak once and never again.

I agree with you - you should definitely, if you are interested in value investing, visit that place once.

Thanks for the book recommendation...to be honest I have read a lot more about the guy than just those books, I read (or am partway) on the following books surrounding the guy

- Of Permanent Value, Andrew Kilpatrick - 3 huge books, the entire history of the guy. I have gotten partway through Book 1, not sure when I will finish the rest

- Buffett - The Biography, Roger Lowenstein

- The Snowball, Alice Schroeder

- Tap Dancing To Work, Carol Loomis

- The Rediscovered Benjamin Graham, Janet Lowe (Buffetts teacher - this perhaps was not that useful)

and lastly,
-Poor Charlie's Almanack, Charlie Munger - only partway through this one as well..

Ultimately, I found that marginal returns for my effort i.e. I can read and read about Buffett, but at some point, it was useful to start reading company balance sheets directly. This is why I did not recommend the above books earlier - once you read the first four things I mentioned in my first post, you would be good to go.
Nabwire
#8 Posted : Friday, April 05, 2013 9:52:32 PM

The one I recommended is actually by Lowenstein, it was a good read coz its a biography of his life and takes you through all the stages he went through before he became the Buffett we know.
I wonder if there are more people interested in going coz we can go as a group and split costs, I'm all about being frugal. I would be willing to handle logistics, hotel reservations, car rental if there was a serios group of people interested.
Rollout
#9 Posted : Friday, April 05, 2013 10:03:23 PM

Everything Mr Buffett say is sweet for the ear but the fact of the matter is no one has become wealthy by following the fundamentals as Mr Buffett would advise you to. Apart from Mr Buffett no one can name anyone in millioniers club who made their money investing the Buffet ways. You are a millionier because you are an entreprenuer or because you are a corporate raider or an hedge fund manager( short sale and marginal trading).

Income statement is full of top-sides, reserves and true-ups.

zizzi
#10 Posted : Friday, April 05, 2013 10:25:45 PM

Nabwire wrote:
The one I recommended is actually by Lowenstein, it was a good read coz its a biography of his life and takes you through all the stages he went through before he became the Buffett we know.
I wonder if there are more people interested in going coz we can go as a group and split costs, I'm all about being frugal. I would be willing to handle logistics, hotel reservations, car rental if there was a serios group of people interested.

All right, thanks for the recommendation...I shall read that book later this year
zizzi
#11 Posted : Friday, April 05, 2013 10:34:47 PM

Rollout wrote:
Everything Mr Buffett say is sweet for the ear but the fact of the matter is no one has become wealthy by following the fundamentals as Mr Buffett would advise you to. Apart from Mr Buffett no one can name anyone in millioniers club who made their money investing the Buffet ways. You are a millionier because you are an entreprenuer or because you are a corporate raider or an hedge fund manager( short sale and marginal trading).

Income statement is full of top-sides, reserves and true-ups.

Perhaps, but the fear of failure is surely no reason to not try..

Basically, I have no other ideas on how to make cash...so while I can, I am gonna try this.

So far, what i found is that to invest like this, you need an insane amount of discipline. After all the only way to buy a company cheap is when others dont like it...otherwise it would be expensive isnt it? So you need to analyse the company, the balance sheet, especially if it is in trouble, does it have the power to sustain the bad period. You have to make a call and then go with it. The Kenyan market is small and would not necessarily expose an investor to the true vagaries of the market.

Having said that, there have been some amazing companies on the NSE which are cheap..now though, with the rally, very few companies offer true compelling value - their share prices however may still go up substantially but because I compare to the fundamentals, I would not invest..perhaps to my own detriment.
Nabwire
#12 Posted : Saturday, April 06, 2013 5:46:56 AM

Which stock certificates did you get? I thought they no longer issue stock certificates, or did you just print out your brokerage account? So do you just show this cert at the gate or do you actually have to register online for the conference? Is it a one day thing or a 3 day conference? Assuming you bought the stock from Kenya, how easy/difficult was it? Did you have to get a tax ID number or just your Kenyan PIN was sufficient?
Ericsson
#13 Posted : Saturday, April 06, 2013 12:47:23 PM

Berkshire Hathaway has an office in Kenya to scout for opportunities in the NSE
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
zizzi
#14 Posted : Saturday, April 06, 2013 2:39:19 PM

Nabwire wrote:
Which stock certificates did you get? I thought they no longer issue stock certificates, or did you just print out your brokerage account? So do you just show this cert at the gate or do you actually have to register online for the conference? Is it a one day thing or a 3 day conference? Assuming you bought the stock from Kenya, how easy/difficult was it? Did you have to get a tax ID number or just your Kenyan PIN was sufficient?

I didnt get stock certificates, just an electronic proof that I had bought those shares and that they were in my account at the time of the AGM.

But remember, I obtain my meeting pass before the AGM..but in my interactions with a lady at Berkshire, she said as long as I broughy my broker statements and picture ID to the Century Link centre in Omaha on the Friday before the shareholder meeting, somebody would be able to sort me out.

Still, for international travellers, for peace of purpose, I would suggest speaking to your broker and they would guide you on how to get the meeting credentials before hand.

It is essentially a one day conference, but with the three days of activities around it.

I did not buy it from Kenya - I was fortunate enough to have an online trading account in the UK through a friend (my friend and I had gone together).

However, if you want to invest in the US, I was told that TD Ameritrade might be able to hook you up with an account if you speak to them.

Alternatively, I think if you speak to Citi in Kenya or HSBC (I believe they have an office near Riverside Mews), I am sure they would be able to hook you up.

Let me give you an idea of the kind of people you might get to meet there..

http://www.valueinvestorconference.com/

Obviously, I couldnt afford that conference and it wasnt really value for me as I am a small investor, but if you are lucky, you might get to speak to some of these people as part of the AGM itself.
zizzi
#15 Posted : Saturday, April 06, 2013 2:50:07 PM

Ericsson wrote:

I doubt it
Market cap of the NSE is Ksh 1.6B as of 05th April 2013. Thats about US$19M.

Berkshire made US$14.8B last year. Assuming 250 trading days in a year, it made a profit of about US60m every day. Assuming a working day is 9 hours,

So the profit Berkshire made in about 2 hours and 45 minutes would allow it to buy the whole of the NSE.

Remember, with the profits Berkshire made in 1 year, it could buy half of Kenya's output in 2011.
kryptonite
#16 Posted : Saturday, April 06, 2013 3:08:02 PM

zizzi wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

I doubt it

Berkshire made US$14.8B last year. Assuming 250 trading days in a year, it made a profit of about US60m every day. Assuming a working day is 9 hours,

So the profit Berkshire made in about 2 hours and 45 minutes would allow it to buy the whole of the NSE.

Remember, with the profits Berkshire made in 1 year, it could buy half of Kenya's output in 2011.

Shame on you Shame on you
The harder you work, the luckier you get
zizzi
#17 Posted : Saturday, April 06, 2013 3:28:43 PM

kryptonite wrote:
zizzi wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

I doubt it

My apologies.. 1.6T...

Ok so the profit of 1 year could buy the whole of the NSE
zizzi
#18 Posted : Saturday, April 06, 2013 3:31:27 PM

zizzi wrote:
kryptonite wrote:
zizzi wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

I doubt it

My apologies.. 1.6T...

Ok so the profit of 1 year could buy the whole of the NSE

Wow so the market cap to GDP of Kenya is quite high! Even compared to a number of countries around the world..
http://data.worldbank.or...icator/CM.MKT.LCAP.GD.ZS
Ericsson
#19 Posted : Saturday, April 06, 2013 5:17:09 PM

The issue is not about Berkshire Hathaway making profits equal to the market cap of NSE but diversification of investment opportunities to generate future profits.
If the market cap to GDP is high it means the country is producing wealthy individuals than the rate of growth of the economy which is that the economy of Kenya is more gava driven than private individuals and companies
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
zizzi
#20 Posted : Sunday, May 05, 2013 12:18:08 AM

Wazuans,

Allow me to share the various summaries of this year's shareholder meeting ...

http://dealbook.nytimes....13-shareholder-meeting/

Twitter Hash Tag - #BRK2013

https://www.youtube.com/...wQ&feature=youtu.be
A brief summary of the company