wazua Sat, May 18, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

40 Pages«<34567>»
Coop Bank - Stocksmaster's 1st Play 2013
obiero
#81 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2013 7:51:40 PM

guru267 wrote:
obiero wrote:
please note I hold both KCB and COOP in my portfolio..

@obiero if you wish to diversify... it may be better to keep off companies with similar risk factors! IMHO

@267. i hold many of my positions in stocks seasonally, so as to re-invest into payment for real estate which is my true love

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
mwekez@ji
#82 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2013 9:00:15 AM

stocksmaster wrote:
mwekez@ji wrote:
@stocksmaster, calling for you comment on the Q1 2013 results released today

Will post my analysis on the Coop share (and other banking stocks of interest)tomorrow.

Happy Hunting.

smile ... Waiting
stocksmaster
#83 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2013 6:03:44 PM

The recent cabinet appointments have brought in two former bank CEOs making it unlikely for radical cabinet policy decisions that may rock the banking sector.

The Executive is also heavily invested in banking and would not create an unfavorable environment for banks. These highlights the banking sector as one of the sectors to watch at least for the next 5 years.

The following Banking stocks are worth a closer focus:

1. COOP BANK

EPS of Ksh 0.62 for Q1 2013 was a 33.5% rise as compared to Q1 2013 and a 29.2% rise as compared to Q4 2012. This was the highest growth in EPS for the Tier 1 banks that have so far reported.

Its merits as I indicated in post no.1 of this thread support my BUY recommendation on this share.

The share is also trading cum dividend (Dividend of Ksh 0.50) until 23rd of May. It will be interesting to see whether the share can touch the Ksh 18 price before books close next week Thursday.

In the next 3 months and as the Tier 1 banks trailing P/E approaches 11; the share price for Coop Bank should approach the Ksh 20 price especially if the half year earnings are as positive as the Q1 results.

My price target (next 10 months) is a price of Ksh 28.00 (65% upside potential) based on an estimated EPS of Ksh 2.70 for year ending December 2013 (The Q1 2013 EPS OF Ksh 0.62 supports my revised estimated EPS of 2.70 for the full year).

2. EQUITY BANK

The EPS of Ksh 0.87 for Q1 2013 was a 21.9% y/y increase.
The banks’ loan book is expected to rise over the remaining part of the year based on more stable macroeconomic conditions.

The bank has a ROE of 29.5% against a sector average of 26.3% (KCB ROE is 23%)
My price target for Equity Bank over the next 12 months is Ksh 48 (EPS of Ksh 4, at a P/E of 12).

3. CFC STANBIC BANK

Despite the poor ROE of 11%, it is currently trading at a P/E of 7.90 (if you factor in the rights issue shares).

It is a share that am holding purely as a short term speculative play awaiting the Q1 2013 results which if they mirror that of the other tier 1 banks, may easily push the share price to the Ksh 70 levels.

Short term Exit Price: Ksh 70

Happy Hunting.
patrazi
#84 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2013 7:40:11 PM

Great!
mibbz
#85 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2013 10:38:02 PM

Cfc Q1 made approx 1.1Bil, slightly off their internal target (cannot remember the figure) but have a positive outlook going ahead.I bank with them and hold the stock; asked the number at my local branch
As for co-op am a believer, tend to think the price shall rise towards H1 results
Lastly what do you think about diamond trust bank? Been gathering info on it and it looks like a ripe takeover target by a larger panafrican bank, or am I being too ambitious? Can agakhan sell out?
guru267
#86 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2013 8:04:11 AM

mibbz wrote:
Lastly what do you think about diamond trust bank?Been gathering info on it and it looks like a ripe takeover target by a larger panafrican bank, or am I being too ambitious? Can agakhan sell out?

@mibbz agakhan is going nowhere!
Mark 12:29
Deuteronomy 4:16
cnn
#87 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2013 10:25:02 AM

stocksmaster wrote:
The recent cabinet appointments have brought in two former bank CEOs making it unlikely for radical cabinet policy decisions that may rock the banking sector.

The Executive is also heavily invested in banking and would not create an unfavorable environment for banks. These highlights the banking sector as one of the sectors to watch at least for the next 5 years.

1. COOP BANK

EPS of Ksh 0.62 for Q1 2013 was a 33.5% rise as compared to Q1 2013 and a 29.2% rise as compared to Q4 2012. This was the highest growth in EPS for the Tier 1 banks that have so far reported.

Its merits as I indicated in post no.1 of this thread support my BUY recommendation on this share.

The share is also trading cum dividend (Dividend of Ksh 0.50) until 23rd of May. It will be interesting to see whether the share can touch the Ksh 18 price before books close next week Thursday.

In the next 3 months and as the Tier 1 banks trailing P/E approaches 11; the share price for Coop Bank should approach the Ksh 20 price especially if the half year earnings are as positive as the Q1 results.

My price target (next 10 months) is a price of Ksh 28.00 (65% upside potential) based on an estimated EPS of Ksh 2.70 for year ending December 2013 (The Q1 2013 EPS OF Ksh 0.62 supports my revised estimated EPS of 2.70 for the full year).

2. EQUITY BANK

The banks’ loan book is expected to rise over the remaining part of the year based on more stable macroeconomic conditions.

My price target for Equity Bank over the next 12 months is Ksh 48 (EPS of Ksh 4, at a P/E of 12).

3. CFC STANBIC BANK

Despite the poor ROE of 11%, it is currently trading at a P/E of 7.90 (if you factor in the rights issue shares).

It is a share that am holding purely as a short term speculative play awaiting the Q1 2013 results which if they mirror that of the other tier 1 banks, may easily push the share price to the Ksh 70 levels.

Happy Hunting.

@stocksmaster..HFCK and KCB do not tickle you?
the deal
#88 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2013 11:03:02 AM

On Coop Bank--->Q1 2013 bond losses not a good sign.

CFC--->will rock and will defenitely go beyond KES70.

Equity Bank & KCB--->Fully valued. Limited upside from current prices.

HF--->more upside.

In the banking sector at current prices...my picks are HF, CFC and DTB
mwekez@ji
#89 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2013 11:29:45 AM

stocksmaster wrote:

1. COOP BANK

2. EQUITY BANK

3. CFC STANBIC BANK

Happy Hunting.

I cant agree more. .... i however notice you have avoided our Tier II banks
mibbz
#90 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2013 12:31:02 PM

guru267 wrote:
mibbz wrote:
Lastly what do you think about diamond trust bank?Been gathering info on it and it looks like a ripe takeover target by a larger panafrican bank, or am I being too ambitious? Can agakhan sell out?

Allow me to ask, what percentage does aga khan hold in DTB?....I forsee a smooth takeover by one of the west african banks looking for presence in the east african side.hydrocarbon game shall see the giants flexing their muscle....
mwekez@ji
#91 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2013 1:09:30 PM

mibbz wrote:
guru267 wrote:
mibbz wrote:

Allow me to ask, what percentage does aga khan hold in DTB?....I forsee a smooth takeover by one of the west african banks looking for presence in the east african side.hydrocarbon game shall see the giants flexing their muscle....

AgaKhan percentage holding in DTB is as follows:

1. Aga Khan Fund for Economic Development S.A. - 17.32%

2. The Jubilee Insurance Company of Kenya Limited - 10.50%

3. The Diamond Jubilee Investment Trust (U) Limited - 1.87%

>Also notable is that is that Mr. Amin Nanji Juma has 0.92% shareholding.

..... Qs to you

1. Is 'Guaranty Trust Bank Plc' the west african bank your are talking about?

2. Why do you think DTB is specifically the target?

mibbz
#92 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2013 2:21:18 PM

mwekez@ji wrote:
mibbz wrote:
guru267 wrote:
mibbz wrote:

AgaKhan percentage holding in DTB is as follows:

1. Aga Khan Fund for Economic Development S.A. - 17.32%

2. The Jubilee Insurance Company of Kenya Limited - 10.50%

3. The Diamond Jubilee Investment Trust (U) Limited - 1.87%

>Also notable is that is that Mr. Amin Nanji Juma has 0.92% shareholding.
@mwekez@ji for quesgion 1 I do believe its the mentioned bank as you had earlier mentioned in 2012 BANIKING valuation thread., I decided to visit the three possible targets and found DTB to be the best all rounded as per my criteria of customer treatment, staff chemistry and I found it to be a well jelled organisation, as in pretty organised..NIC impressed but not as much as DTB
Looking forwards while NIC is reporting stellar figures I believe DTB has more growth potential as evidenced by Q1 figures plus they are in burundi offering more coverage to the east african region and management seems to have their act right
Lastly, its gut feeling...I asked myself if I were the board of a large bank looking for prescence in EA and numbers are right and settled on between NIC and DTB,which one would I vote for?

Have to mention other suitors might come by, not necessarily Guaranty bank; trying to look at which would be a better target to get presence in EA region......I believe this is how speculation works.

..... Qs to you

1. Is 'Guaranty Trust Bank Plc' the west african bank your are talking about?

2. Why do you think DTB is specifically the target?

VituVingiSana
#93 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2013 6:42:54 PM

stocksmaster wrote:

1. COOP BANK EPS of Ksh 0.62 for Q1 2013 was a 33.5% rise as compared to Q1 2013 and a 29.2% rise as compared to Q4 2012. This was the highest growth in EPS for the Tier 1 banks that have so far reported.
I think you meant "Q1 2012" not "Q1 2013" & even though the PAT was +33.5% the EPS was +10% (comparing apples to apples) ... either coz of a bonus (issued after Q1 2012) or higher taxes. I need to research this.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
guru267
#94 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2013 8:29:59 PM

mibbz wrote:
guru267 wrote:
mibbz wrote:

@mibbz its all about strategy... why would I decide to buy out a company where the current shareholders have absolutely no intention of selling??

Wouldnt one end up paying a ridiculously high premium trying to appease these shareholders at the expense of the company's attractiveness??

Don't you think the agakhan wants to participate fully in the potential of DTB??

DTB has a fully Asian board of directors and an Asian ceo, and even an Asian chairman.. In fact the only Kenyan on the DTB board is the company secretary Sad The agakhan is definitely here to stay

mibbz
#95 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2013 4:21:19 AM

guru267 wrote:
mibbz wrote:
guru267 wrote:
mibbz wrote:

@mibbz its all about strategy... why would I decide to buy out a company where the current shareholders have absolutely no intention of selling??

Wouldnt one end up paying a ridiculously high premium trying to appease these shareholders at the expense of the company's attractiveness??

Don't you think the agakhan wants to participate fully in the potential of DTB??

DTB has a fully Asian board of directors and an Asian ceo, and even an Asian chairman.. In fact the only Kenyan on the DTB board is the company secretary Sad The agakhan is definitely here to stay

@guru267, infact its easier to change or convince minds thats are all thinking alike or perhaps look alike.....the hydrocarbon game shall change a lot and premiums shall be paid.....do you know africa oil is starting drilling in Kenya and has a whooping 44 blocks in the region......the best is yet to come
youcan'tstopusnow
#96 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2013 6:43:00 AM

mibbz wrote:
.....do you know africa oil is starting drilling in Kenya and has a whooping 44 blocks in the region......the best is yet to come

They started some years back and they do not have 44 blocks as you say.
I side with guru. It would be very surprising, to me, were AKFED to part with their stake. They have a nice diversified portfolio which I imagine they would be keen to maintain - banking, tourism, media, etc.
GOD BLESS YOUR LIFE
murchr
#97 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2013 7:22:20 AM

@Laughing out loudly mibbz
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
guru267
#98 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2013 8:47:38 AM

mibbz wrote:
guru267 wrote:
mibbz wrote:
guru267 wrote:
mibbz wrote:

@guru267, infact its easier to change or convince minds thats are all thinking alike or perhaps look alike.....the hydrocarbon game shall change a lot and premiums shall be paid.....do you know africa oil is starting drilling in Kenya and has a whooping 44 blocks in the region......the best is yet to come

If the best is yet to come why would they sell?? Agakhan is really savvy...

I'm sure he would sell out if someone paid him 700bob per share for DTB! smile
mibbz
#99 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2013 10:01:37 AM

youcan'tstopusnow wrote:
mibbz wrote:
.....do you know africa oil is starting drilling in Kenya and has a whooping 44 blocks in the region......the best is yet to come

They started some years back and they do not have 44 blocks as you say.
I side with guru. It would be very surprising, to me, were AKFED to part with their stake. They have a nice diversified portfolio which I imagine they would be keen to maintain - banking, tourism, media, etc.

They are starting the 1st of 2 sites this half, really big difference between owning and start of drilling in Kenya
mibbz
#100 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2013 10:04:46 AM

guru267 wrote:
mibbz wrote:
guru267 wrote:
mibbz wrote:
guru267 wrote:
mibbz wrote:

If the best is yet to come why would they sell?? Agakhan is really savvy...

I'm sure he would sell out if someone paid him 700bob per share for DTB! smile

Thats my point, a serious premium shall be paid, its good to be prepared in advance.....@guru267 allow me to ask, what would be a decent take over price for NIC?