wazua Thu, Apr 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

126 Pages«<8586878889>»
Madness at the NSE
VituVingiSana
#1721 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2019 12:55:29 AM

CDSC, CMA and NSE should declare a "moratorium" of sorts that allows those with shares which are valued at less than 10k can either sell or transfer them free of charge.
Why have CDSC accounts with odd lots?

It's more efficient to have the money that is stuck in odd lots to get into the pockets of shareholders.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ericsson
#1722 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2019 6:27:07 AM

rwitre wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
CDSC Kenya experienced a 25% decrease in the number of active CDS accounts from 1,527,834 in 2016 to 1,150,270 in 2017

We're in 2019.

Why are they giving statistics on 2017?

We will know how 2018 was in 2020?

Why are we like this?

Government/quasi government institutions which are not obliged to release their results do that.
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Gatheuzi
#1723 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2019 6:59:22 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
CDSC, CMA and NSE should declare a "moratorium" of sorts that allows those with shares which are valued at less than 10k can either sell or transfer them free of charge.

It's more efficient to have the money that is stuck in odd lots to get into the pockets of shareholders.

It is still possible to trade in odd lots. On the trading portal you only need to select odd lots board instead of the default normal board. That way you are able to dispose your odd lots or in reverse add more odd lots!
Time is money, so money is time. Money saved is time gained in reverse! Money stores your life’s energy. You expend your energy, get paid money, and store that money for a future purchase made in a currency.
murchr
#1724 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2019 4:46:50 PM

Why is it so hard to change one's physical address?
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
VituVingiSana
#1725 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2019 5:14:01 PM

Gatheuzi wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

It is still possible to trade in odd lots. On the trading portal you only need to select odd lots board instead of the default normal board. That way you are able to dispose your odd lots or in reverse add more odd lots!

Yes, but the cost and hassle of trading odd lots when the value is low.
They need to clean up the accounts so there's a better/truer picture.
99 shares Mumias is less than 100/- yet the cost to trade is a minimum of 100/- per trade.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
kenyan2019
#1726 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2019 7:08:30 AM

Half of listed stocks are now worth less than a tomato https://www.standardmedi...orth-less-than-a-tomato #standarddigital
obiero
#1727 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2019 7:37:23 AM

kenyan2019 wrote:
Half of listed stocks are now worth less than a tomato https://www.standardmedi...orth-less-than-a-tomato #standarddigital

Githeri media.. Minimum shares for purchase in Kenya are 100 lot.. Using even HAFR, it comes to KES 45 for a stake.. Bure kabisa these sensationalist journalist who don't ask why Eliud Kipchoge lacks a HSC while Robert Alai bears one

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
VituVingiSana
#1728 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2019 8:03:27 AM

obiero wrote:
kenyan2019 wrote:

Githeri media.. Minimum shares for purchase in Kenya are 100 lot.. Using even HAFR, it comes to KES 45 for a stake.. Bure kabisa these sensationalist journalist who don't ask why Eliud Kipchoge lacks a HSC while Robert Alai bears one

50 bananas costs me the same as 100 KQ costs you. Laughing out loudly
I believe Eliud Kipchoge has a OGW and CBS. He deserves more though.
obiero
#1729 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2019 8:20:28 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
kenyan2019 wrote:

We should give you to Uganda as you clearly are not a patriot.. At least he flies Jambojet

VituVingiSana
#1730 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2019 10:27:26 AM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
kenyan2019 wrote:

We should give you to Uganda as you clearly are not a patriot.. At least he flies Jambojet

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly He wins. KQ loses.
Baratang
#1731 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2019 3:42:17 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
kenyan2019 wrote:

So @Obiero's stake in KQ is worth 48,500 bananas...isorite.
VituVingiSana
#1732 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2019 5:40:58 PM

Baratang wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
kenyan2019 wrote:

So @Obiero's stake in KQ is worth 48,500 bananas...isorite.
At the rate KQ is losing money, without a bailout from Taxpayers, a banana will be enough to buy the entire company like KCB paid one banana for Imperial.
sparkly
#1733 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2019 5:56:04 PM

obiero wrote:
kenyan2019 wrote:

Odd lots. I held 2 NIC shares for very time. Odd lots came up as a result of bonuses.
Life is short. Live passionately.
obiero
#1734 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2019 9:46:56 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
kenyan2019 wrote:

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly He wins. KQ loses.

Sorcerer..

rwitre
#1735 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2019 10:49:23 PM

kenyan2019 wrote:

But GoK says the economy is growing. Laughing out loudly
VituVingiSana
#1736 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2019 11:11:49 PM

rwitre wrote:
kenyan2019 wrote:

Like tomatoes Laughing out loudly
kenyan2019
#1737 Posted : Thursday, May 02, 2019 12:41:41 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
rwitre wrote:
kenyan2019 wrote:

Like tomatoes Laughing out loudly

Tomatoes?----> http://callstreet.co.ke/...or-current-overvaluation
VituVingiSana
#1738 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 7:40:36 PM

PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT

The Art of Holding

Stocks rarely perform in the time frames we predict, and it’s why the market only works for investors that have a long-term portfolio focus. Performance is never linear, up and to the right, year after year. You sometimes have to hold onto a position for a few years before it goes up 100% in 3 months.

“I’m accustomed to hanging around with a stock when the price is going nowhere. Most of the money I make is in the third or fourth year that I’ve owned something.” – Peter Lynch

Here is a real-life example: I started buying a company I own today in early 2012 when it was at $0.35-0.40 per share. As my conviction grew I bought more and by mid- 2014 the stock hit $2.00 per share. Today (January 2017), the stock is still at $2.00 per share. Yes, I’m up considerably from my average cost basis but this company has been dead money for 2.5 years. Years!

How do I know if I’m right in holding versus just being entrenched in endowment bias?

Let’s get back to some first principles. Sustainable multi-baggers have three characteristics: Long-term revenue and earnings growth with little to no dilution. When you are holding onto a position ask yourself – Is this business growing and making more money per share than it did a year ago, two years ago? In my real-life example above the company’s business is almost double the size it was 2.5 years ago. Yes, the stock hasn’t gone anywhere but the business is doing really well. I have no problem holding this stock. If the business wasn’t performing, I would sell. Successful investors can differentiate business performance from stock performance and can take advantage of those investors who can’t.

“I don’t want to spend my time trying to earn a lot of little profits. I want very, very big profits that I’m ready to wait for.” – Phil Fisher

In the book, The Art of Execution, portfolio manager Lee Freeman-Shor invests $25-$150 million ($1+ billion total) in 45 of the world’s top investors. His instructions to them were simple as there was just one rule. They could only invest in their ten best ideas. Over several years he tracked their positions, trades, performance and was amazed at what he saw. He identified both good and bad habits and divided the investors into groups – Rabbits, Assassins, Hunters, Raiders, and the most successful group, the Connoisseurs.

“The most successful investors I worked with, those who made the most money, all had one thing in common: the presence of a couple of big winners in their portfolios. Any approach that does not embrace the possibility of winning big is doomed.” – Lee Freeman-Shor

In this excerpt, Lee Freeman-Shor talks about one of the attributes of Connoisseurs.

“One of the key requirements of staying invested in a big winner is to have (or cultivate) a high boredom threshold.

Meeting some of my Connoisseurs could be very, very boring because nothing ever changed. They would talk about the same stocks they had been invested in for the past five years or longer. On the days I had a meeting scheduled with a Connoisseur, I sometimes struggled to get out of bed.

The fact is, most of us will find it difficult to emulate the Connoisseurs because we feel the need to do something when we get to the office (or home trading desk) every day. We look at stock price charts, listen to the latest market news on Bloomberg TV, and fool ourselves into believing we could add value from making a few small trades here and there. It is very hard to do nothing but focus on the same handful of companies every year; only researching new ideas on the side.

Many of us, seeing we have made a profit of 40% in one of our stocks, start actively looking for another company to invest the money into – instead of leaving it invested. This is precisely why lots of investors never become very successful.”

Every multi-bagger will have long periods (even years) of stagnation as fundamentals backfill, old shareholders get bored, and new shareholders enter. Just like a fine wine, sustainable multi-baggers often take their time to ascend and develop. If you’re invested in great businesses that continue to grow and earn more money, don’t let lulls in stock price and boredom scare you out of them.

https://microcapclub.com...7/01/the-art-of-holding/
obiero
#1739 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 7:48:54 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT

The Art of Holding

Stocks rarely perform in the time frames we predict, and it’s why the market only works for investors that have a long-term portfolio focus. Performance is never linear, up and to the right, year after year. You sometimes have to hold onto a position for a few years before it goes up 100% in 3 months.

“I’m accustomed to hanging around with a stock when the price is going nowhere. Most of the money I make is in the third or fourth year that I’ve owned something.” – Peter Lynch

Here is a real-life example: I started buying a company I own today in early 2012 when it was at $0.35-0.40 per share. As my conviction grew I bought more and by mid- 2014 the stock hit $2.00 per share. Today (January 2017), the stock is still at $2.00 per share. Yes, I’m up considerably from my average cost basis but this company has been dead money for 2.5 years. Years!

How do I know if I’m right in holding versus just being entrenched in endowment bias?

Let’s get back to some first principles. Sustainable multi-baggers have three characteristics: Long-term revenue and earnings growth with little to no dilution. When you are holding onto a position ask yourself – Is this business growing and making more money per share than it did a year ago, two years ago? In my real-life example above the company’s business is almost double the size it was 2.5 years ago. Yes, the stock hasn’t gone anywhere but the business is doing really well. I have no problem holding this stock. If the business wasn’t performing, I would sell. Successful investors can differentiate business performance from stock performance and can take advantage of those investors who can’t.

“I don’t want to spend my time trying to earn a lot of little profits. I want very, very big profits that I’m ready to wait for.” – Phil Fisher

In the book, The Art of Execution, portfolio manager Lee Freeman-Shor invests $25-$150 million ($1+ billion total) in 45 of the world’s top investors. His instructions to them were simple as there was just one rule. They could only invest in their ten best ideas. Over several years he tracked their positions, trades, performance and was amazed at what he saw. He identified both good and bad habits and divided the investors into groups – Rabbits, Assassins, Hunters, Raiders, and the most successful group, the Connoisseurs.

“The most successful investors I worked with, those who made the most money, all had one thing in common: the presence of a couple of big winners in their portfolios. Any approach that does not embrace the possibility of winning big is doomed.” – Lee Freeman-Shor

In this excerpt, Lee Freeman-Shor talks about one of the attributes of Connoisseurs.

“One of the key requirements of staying invested in a big winner is to have (or cultivate) a high boredom threshold.

Meeting some of my Connoisseurs could be very, very boring because nothing ever changed. They would talk about the same stocks they had been invested in for the past five years or longer. On the days I had a meeting scheduled with a Connoisseur, I sometimes struggled to get out of bed.

The fact is, most of us will find it difficult to emulate the Connoisseurs because we feel the need to do something when we get to the office (or home trading desk) every day. We look at stock price charts, listen to the latest market news on Bloomberg TV, and fool ourselves into believing we could add value from making a few small trades here and there. It is very hard to do nothing but focus on the same handful of companies every year; only researching new ideas on the side.

Many of us, seeing we have made a profit of 40% in one of our stocks, start actively looking for another company to invest the money into – instead of leaving it invested. This is precisely why lots of investors never become very successful.”

Every multi-bagger will have long periods (even years) of stagnation as fundamentals backfill, old shareholders get bored, and new shareholders enter. Just like a fine wine, sustainable multi-baggers often take their time to ascend and develop. If you’re invested in great businesses that continue to grow and earn more money, don’t let lulls in stock price and boredom scare you out of them.

https://microcapclub.com.../01/the-art-of-holding/

KQ is definitely what is being discussed here

VituVingiSana
#1740 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 7:57:14 PM

"rarely perform in the time frames we predict"
@Sparkly won a bet against me because I "predicted" KK would beat KenGen by Dec 2017. It did not.
But a few months later that is what happened. KK did well, even before the takeover was announced, while I think KenGen stagnated.

"Long-term revenue and earnings growth with little to no dilution" Important. Look at Safaricom. Or Equity. Or other such firms that display sustainable growth over a long period.

"the presence of a couple of big winners in their portfolios" - I call my largest holdings my "Core" and I have a max of 5.

Commissions, for trades, eat up a lot of profits on the NSE. d'oh!

"talk about the same stocks they had been invested in for the past five years or longer" Guilty as charged! As are many of us. Even @Obiero as his 737-MAX crashes. Or @Njunge with his not-so-sweet Mumias.

"multi-bagger will have long periods (even years) of stagnation" Many examples.

"If you’re invested in great businesses that continue to grow and earn more money, don’t let lulls in stock price and boredom scare you out of them." Applause Applause Applause