wazua Mon, May 13, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages<12345>»
Your first car
Chaka
#41 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2009 1:36:00 PM

@mkristo,

was the wobbling front left wheel sorted?
half_empty
#42 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2009 1:44:00 PM

in late 90's i ran into an expat leaving ... i landed what looked like a good deal... made in france,nyc booty,60K... but it could only move backwards... coz gear was faulty... it was an auto... shida tupu... tried converting... replacing.... but nothin worked... moved on to japan... neva looked back... once in awhile i would borrow my neighbours 405... maze that thing guzzled like a rangei... viva japan... my advice is to start old... that way you can menyana with ma3s without worrying about the dents... ukizoea then move on to used (ex jp)
mkristo
#43 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2009 1:53:00 PM

@chaka,

I'll be going this weekend to have it sorted out. Car still moving ok,ni hiyo tu mguu kutetemeka lakini sii sana.

@half empty

would you believe it if i told you my 405 did Ksh 5,000 the last week of May to Mombasa and back,plus rounds in coast? That was like an average of 14km/l.

I know you cannot believe but that is a fact. Well,town drive consumption can be a bit high but not below 10km/l hence you avarage 12km/l

the voice of reason
Ric dees
#44 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2009 2:26:00 PM

My first car was a Datsun 160 J sss..KPU xxx mark you this was this decade..two door,with four carburators green in colour..infact you would not have pitad me.esp on a hill...now i even put spotlights as i called them back then but unfortunately they could not work simultaneously with the headlights..The windows could only close or open if you pushed them down or pulled up..and when up they still wachad a space at the top so when it rained lo and behold..

I have had good times with this car and have a lot of memories..from getting stuck in Ol'jororock at night ..to the car refusing to start in evening traffic on uhuru highway when raining and my 'co-driver' excused themselves..to headlights refusing to work one night coming from Nyahururu area around Limuru..they are endless.

I still have my KPU..and whenever i visit home i will 'cruise' with it day and night....i love the way guys look at me in their latest rides and chicks cringe at the sight of it...but deep within my heart i feel like a million bucks ..

Success is not measured by what you accomplish,but by the opposition you have encountered and the courage with which you have maintained the struggle against the overwhelming odds'

The greatest danger in times of turbulence is not the turbulence; it is to act with yesterday's logic.
Pablo
#45 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2009 2:34:00 PM

Arent this the cars that can give you Tetenus if its mabati touches you. smile

Want to be a millionaire.... plant a million cabbages and sell them at a bob...
andycapp
#46 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2009 2:51:00 PM

My first car was a Toyota AE100 in 2002. Bought it at 400k,drove it for 2 years & sold it for the same 400k. That car neva let me down,never made me poor,spares costed nothing,fuel was efficient,comfort good & it earned me respect from my peers(i was 23 then) & plenty of dates from the honeys.
I later sold it & got a subaru legacy BH5 which was a disaster. That was the worst car i ever had for 6 months,the auto gear was hopless,a guzzler & engine had issues all the time. Complete overhaul @PAC costed almost 120k,yet a day later,it still broke down at westlands on my way to Naks. Bure kabisa. To date i wouldnt touch a Sub with a 10 foot pole.
nyangao
#47 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2009 4:58:00 PM

Myn was a toyo.no prob apart from gearbox which i replacd.now got a 1960 landrover 88 series 2 sw.been doin some repair coz i can bet its older than most,its got original engine n gearbox though. My challenge now is to upgrade the steerin to power steerin.anyone with the know how id greatly appreciate.by the car is for leisure whenever i hav xtra cash.

hey
Mkimwa
#48 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2009 7:07:00 PM

Year 1999,My Dad's first car

Vehicle: Datsun Pickup,1600

Setting: Closing day of shule;

Morning: Excited sister closes school,She meet with Dad who is now driving. Very excited.

Story:
Dad and Sis are going home in the 'new' pickup,It was loaded with 14 bags of 90Kgs Layers mash for Dads chicken farm in shagz. Going up an infamous impossible hill,like 20kms from home,the thing kataad to move up when halfway. So they go back to the bottom of the hill,they reverse to the bottom,offload 7 bags,Dad pelekas the other 7 bags to the top of the hill. Back to the bottom of the hill,they load the other 7 bags,and the thing kataas to waka. After kusukumwa,it fires up. They ride smoothly to the top. They load the 7 bags and then the thing kataas to waka,again.

Dad tried to 'thitura' the thing (going downhill kidogo) on reverse,and then the thing kwishas brakes.Luckily he swerved and hit the side of the road and the vehicle stopped. And by this time,it was raining,and it was 10pm.

My dad and sis slept in the damn pickup - dirty,hungry,tired and wet. And no mobiles then,so Mum and I were wondering - kwani wako wapi?

My sister and Mum were the first to compaign for the sale of the vehicle,and have never been so glad as the day it was sold off. I really pity the guy who parted with 100K for that car.
simonkabz
#49 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2009 7:50:00 PM

A daihatsu charade KYP that embarassed me many a times....It once zimikad uhuru hi way just as the lights turned green,myself being the lead car in the mid lane!! I cursed it so hard it hardly recovered...sold it for 90k n probably drank the money,I still cnt acount 4that money to date! As of today,Toyo any day...

The only reason why some people are still alive is coz its illegal to shoot them!!
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
simonkabz
#50 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2009 7:52:00 PM

A daihatsu charade KYP that embarassed me many a times....It once zimikad uhuru hi way just as the lights turned green,myself being the lead car in the mid lane!! I cursed it so hard it hardly recovered...sold it for 90k n probably drank the money,I still cnt acount 4that money to date! As of today,Toyo any day...

The only reason why some people are still alive is coz its illegal to shoot them!!
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
Djinn
#51 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 11:05:00 AM

@Mkristo - I think all the Peugeot haters here talk mainly out of ignorance or because they made bad choices with Peugeots. Who got a car for 21K? Did not a red flag go up at some point before you signed that deal? Don't dis the car if you bought a lemon - admit that you made a bad choice. Don't dis the car because you skimped on service (or abused it).

I agree Peugeot locks sometimes are a problem - mainly because of poor maintenance (greasing/oil AND usage) Most car doors will stick if not used frequently - esp for singles who do not ferry kids and family around.

The problem with equality is that we desire that it be with those that have more than us rather that those that have less
Djinn
#52 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 11:40:00 AM

But to REALLY answer some of Eli's questions.....for most people,the prospect of a 'first car' is almost as exciting as becoming a parent so you really llook forward to it and sometimes overlook SOLID and SOUND advice,esp if the car has issues. The seller most times can tell a first time car owner and will capitalise on this. So even if there is a strange rattling,the first timer,not wanting to be kept from his/her dream,will be convinced that its 'just the exhaust that is loose' - only to discover later that the rattling was actually heralding a knock.

The other thing is that sometimes people come across a chunk of money all at once (13th cheque,bonus,commission) and using the apriori approach start looking for a car worth THAT much or thereabouts (the rest they get from friends and family) - so ultimately an Isuzu Uhuru/Renault 5/Daweoo Herring/etc will all look within reach and all you want is your 'first car'.

Third BIG mistake - going for looks and sounds only. Test the car on asphalt only. No shakedown on rough roads. So you think the car is good.

Another BIG mistake,sort of related to the above,is to buy a car that is not gentle on the eye,and soon after,without running it for even a week - start investing in body work,paint,bling,etc....then a few weeks later you have a nice shiny car stuck at the roadside.

Fourth big mistake - even if the car is of high value - believing the sales person when he says someone else was interested and might come back in the afternoon - bollocks. if he was an honest sales person,he would hold off on showing you the car UNTIL that person failed to show up - only then.

The problem with equality is that we desire that it be with those that have more than us rather that those that have less
mkristo
#53 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 11:45:00 AM

@Djinn

I agree. I think also on the other hand every car in this world will have issues. The back stops with the owner,whether a Toyo,Niss,Merc name it.

The other day my Mech told me that he had to go to Kisumu to rescue a guy with his Benz cos the engine had stopped. The problem was that he had removed the Benz's radioator and fixed a smaller one,i dont know why on earth one would do that. The engine heated up,chomad guskette,may be a few other things,and stopped. Now tell me,can that guy say that Benzes are bad cars cos it kwamad in shags? I dont think so.

Cars are like women,treat them well,you get value from them,mistreat them and you get back what you gave them 10 times more.

By the way,if you want to know how a man keeps his woman,look at the car's condition. This might also be a lead clue to those buying second hand cars from men. Check out their women. On the other hand,women know how to take care of themselves that is why (generaly) their cars sell faster than those belonging to men. This is relative.

the voice of reason
Njunge
#54 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 11:51:00 AM

@Djinn,

Just admit.Bijuti has the most lousy doors anytime.......and Volvo's go to the hole without ever greasing.Doubting it???.......Pick the shell of a volvo from any scrapyard and unless it was an accident car,the door opens and shuts as good as new.

Yombo dhier....!!
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
Pablo
#55 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:30:00 PM

I remember a time when Volvos were the defacto No. 2 cars only beaten by the Merc.

Another thing,when I am told that a car is 'lady driven only' i cant touch it with a 10ft pole. Do people actually think cars driven by ladies r better?? Look at how many of them drive on the rim instead of changing the puncture or thinking a car only needs petrol.

Want to be a millionaire.... plant a million cabbages and sell them at a bob...
Njunge
#56 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 1:23:00 PM

@Pablo,

I have also seen an advert reading 'pastor's car'.I assumed the car uses milk for fuel.........-:)

Yombo dhier....!!
leona
#57 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 5:57:00 AM

What car names really stand for:)

AUDI: Accelerates Under Drink Influence
BMW: Big Money Works
CHEVROLET: Cheap,Hardly Efficient,Virtually Runs On Luck Every Time
DODGE: Drips Oil,Drops Grease Everywhere
FIAT: Fix It All the Time
FORD: Fast Only Rolling Downhill
GMC: Garage Man's Companion
HONDA: Had One,Never Did Again
HYUNDAI: Hope You Understand Nothing is Drivable and Inexpensive
SAAB: Swedish Automobiles Always Breakdown
TOYOTA: Too Often Yankees Overprice This Auto
VOLVO: Very Odd-Looking Vehicular Object

Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't..
Nevermind what haters say, ignore them til they fade away - Just live your life
CLK
#58 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 6:09:00 AM

In Love with Germany cars,still hoping to buy my CLK and SLK,for now the C180 is fine.
the first car i fell in love with,my hubby's 1989 w126 benz,he sold it to a family friend and i shed tears,for so long i would walk to the car only to remember its not ours any more.

The real measure of your wealth is how much you'd be worth if you lost all your money. ~Author Unknown
Njunge
#59 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 6:10:00 AM

@Leona,

Be My Wife.......damn!

Yombo dhier....!!
zamali
#60 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 6:11:00 AM

@ LEONA

What of NISSAN ?

Neat Immaculate Simply Stylish And Nice

Zama za Kengen IPO.... zama za mali