wazua Thu, May 16, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

32 Pages«<34567>»
Kenya Power - what's the latest?
hisah
#81 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 6:10:42 AM

mwekez@ji wrote:
MP files Motion to end Kenya Power monopoly

A Motion filed in the House is seeking to liberalise power distribution and break Kenya Power’s monopoly to foster competition and improve efficiency.

http://www.businessdailyafrica....4/-/icox5fz/-/index.html

The politics has started...

$15/barrel oil... The commodities lehman moment arrives as well as Sovereign debt volcano!
murchr
#82 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 6:44:27 AM

hisah wrote:
mwekez@ji wrote:

A Motion filed in the House is seeking to liberalise power distribution and break Kenya Power’s monopoly to foster competition and improve efficiency.

Could it be a way of arm twisting UK since Mama is one of the heavies?
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
mlennyma
#83 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 6:45:14 AM

Very good,may he succeed for the good of the country and other investors.
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
alma
#84 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 7:40:09 AM

I'm of the view that the whole energy sector is a den of corruption. I don't trust MP's as far as I can hang them.

But surely at this time, kenya power is the single most useless company the world has ever seen. There shall never be any vision 2030 or 30/30 as long as Kenya power exists.

So I hope that this succeeds and I will be on the path of holy communion with whoever pushes this agenda.
Jose: If I make it through this thug life, I'll see you one day. The Lord is the only way to stop the hurt.
mwekez@ji
#85 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 9:42:42 AM

murchr wrote:
hisah wrote:
mwekez@ji wrote:

On the contrary, i think uhuruto are behind this motion. The fact that they denied Kenya Power the tariff increase request speaks that they want nothing than the best for the economy and their manifesto
hisah
#86 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 10:30:24 AM

mwekez@ji wrote:
murchr wrote:
hisah wrote:
mwekez@ji wrote:

On the contrary, i think uhuruto are behind this motion. The fact that they denied Kenya Power the tariff increase request speaks that they want nothing than the best for the economy and their manifesto

@murchr - selling on volume started in Feb.

$15/barrel oil... The commodities lehman moment arrives as well as Sovereign debt volcano!
hisah
#87 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 10:45:24 AM

GGK wrote:
unrelated...
KPLC must find the going tough once the new regime settles. I guess they may have their earnings reduced as ERC reign on them as the did to oil sector as the Kenyatta II administration implement some populist policies.

What do others think? Are the profitability levels sustainable in the long lung in the backdrop of popular view that power is way "too expensive " in Kenya?

murchr
#88 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 6:09:09 PM

hisah wrote:
mwekez@ji wrote:
murchr wrote:
hisah wrote:
mwekez@ji wrote:

@murchr - selling on volume started in Feb.

If indeed they are serious in ending the monopoly, who would take up the challenge first?
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
mwekez@ji
#89 Posted : Sunday, May 26, 2013 12:02:32 AM

Kirubi exits from Kenya Power top shareholder list

“I have sold Kenya Power shares. Shares are bought and sold depending on market dynamics,” Mr Kirubi told the Business Daily in a phone interview on Monday.

#Good_move_CK

http://www.businessdailyafrica....6/-/u6jkq7z/-/index.html
youcan'tstopusnow
#90 Posted : Sunday, May 26, 2013 10:39:57 PM

Kenya Power Hits Back
Electricity distributor Kenya Power has stopped connecting new customers to its grid, putting on hold billions of shillings worth of
investments countrywide.
The company, which
connected more consumers on its grid in the past 10 years than it did since Independence, said a recent freeze in tariff increment plans had left it without the
money it needs to connect new customers.
http://www.businessdaily...8/-/gsg5vg/-/index.html
Over to you UhuRuto...
GOD BLESS YOUR LIFE
murchr
#91 Posted : Sunday, May 26, 2013 10:47:03 PM

youcan'tstopusnow wrote:
Kenya Power Hits Back
Electricity distributor Kenya Power has stopped connecting new customers to its grid, putting on hold billions of shillings worth of
investments countrywide.
The company, which
connected more consumers on its grid in the past 10 years than it did since Independence, said a recent freeze in tariff increment plans had left it without the
Over to you UhuRuto...

The management needs to be swept away since their thinking capacity is now done
mwekez@ji
#92 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2013 12:24:17 AM

murchr wrote:
youcan'tstopusnow wrote:
Kenya Power Hits Back
investments countrywide.
The company, which
Over to you UhuRuto...

The management needs to be swept away since their thinking capacity is now done

jguru
#93 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2013 11:27:35 AM

I think the power connections have been too many. The applications have obviously overwhelmed KPLC. And since KPLC is the MOST INEFFICIENT company in Kenya, it cannot cope with the increased demand for connections.

KPLC aimed to double the connection fee from 35000 to 70000 so as to reduce the applications and reduce the amount of work that they do. Lazy buggers!

I have never seen such STUPID thinking in a publicly listed company.

This power production/transmission/distribution market needs to be liberalised. Soon. Fast.

Kenyan will never attained vision 2030 with these sort of lackadaisical approaches to development.
Set out to correct the world's wrongs and you will most certainly wind up adding to them.
Njung'e
#94 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2013 12:41:38 PM

murchr wrote:
hisah wrote:
[quote=mwekez@ji]MP files Motion to end Kenya Power monopoly

[]Could it be a way of arm twisting UK since Mama is one of the heavies?[/url]

I will not celebrate this liberalisation idea unless the motion clearly spells out how new entrants (PDs) will be stopped from forming a cartel and hence we end up with a no better system than the existing one......Secondly,i may ask ignorantly,what is the role of KP?My understanding is that they are brokers.They buy power from Kengen and other IPPs and then sell the same power for a profit.In most cases,they do so at figures almost double the purchase price.We could then start by asking,why not allow Kengen and IPPs to sell power directly to the consumers?(Probably by forming a pool).
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
bkismat
#95 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2013 1:04:43 PM

Njung'e wrote:
murchr wrote:
hisah wrote:
[quote=mwekez@ji]MP files Motion to end Kenya Power monopoly

[]Could it be a way of arm twisting UK since Mama is one of the heavies?[/url]

I will not celebrate this liberalisation idea unless the motion clearly spells out how new entrants (PDs) will be stopped from forming a cartel and hence we end up with a no better system than the existing one......Secondly,i may ask ignorantly,what is the role of KP?My understanding is that they are brokers.They buy power from Kengen and other IPPs and then sell the same power for a profit.In most cases,they do so at figures almost double the purchase price.We could then start by asking,why not allow Kengen and IPPs to sell power directly to the consumers?(Probably by forming a pool).

In the whole of this mess we currently have 3 monopolies. Kengen, KENTRACO and KP. When liberalising the sector which is the most practical part to work on?
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt...
-Mark Twain
kollabo
#96 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2013 1:14:58 PM

jguru wrote:
I think the power connections have been too many. The applications have obviously overwhelmed KPLC. And since KPLC is the MOST INEFFICIENT company in Kenya, it cannot cope with the increased demand for connections.

KPLC aimed to double the connection fee from 35000 to 70000 so as to reduce the applications and reduce the amount of work that they do. Lazy buggers!

I have never seen such STUPID thinking in a publicly listed company.

This power production/transmission/distribution market needs to be liberalised. Soon. Fast.

Kenyan will never attained vision 2030 with these sort of lackadaisical approaches to development.

From someone who has interacted with their top management, I absolutely agree!!
mlennyma
#97 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2013 2:17:01 PM

Even if kenya power was efficient,kenya has no enough power to cover the whole country..the past regimes failed this nation,buying power from ethiopia is mockery to our nation.
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
Njung'e
#98 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2013 3:38:34 PM

mlennyma wrote:
Even if kenya power was efficient,kenya has no enough power to cover the whole country..the past regimes failed this nation,buying power from ethiopia is mockery to our nation.

You are right.We seem not to get anything right despite having cheap and renewable sources.look at how LTWPP arrived with a bang.Almost five years later (Deadline for full production was last year),not a damn watt to light a spotlight....So much for 2030!!

http://www.wazua.co.ke/f...m.aspx?g=posts&t=681
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
Mel
#99 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2013 4:23:35 PM

mkonomtupu wrote:
i read what the Ruto had to say and I was horrified for a moment. Has the guy read the contracts that Kenya power has entered into with the independent power producers? Has he seen the contracts with Turkana wind power project? That's what you call a road side declaration even Moi would not go that low. Does he realise just a few years back Kenya power was on the brink of insolvency yet he says "we cannot subsidise Kenya Power operations forever". The GoK had to do a balance sheet clean up to get this damn thing on the road to recovery. I think they should delist this company and the govt should keep it's inefficient parastatals to itself instead of duping the investing public

Shame on you Shame on you The company needs a CEO who's not risen up the ranks from within, someone who will be bold enough to crack the whip on his managers.
Mel
#100 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2013 4:25:16 PM

rryyzz wrote:
What ails this company are its operational inefficiencies. The company needs a CEO who's not risen up the ranks from within, someone who will be bold enough to crack the whip on his managers.This is currently lacking, look at the companies responses to consumer complaintsShame on you Shame on you Shame on you
KENGEN, has managed to recruit managers from outside the energy sector and its performance can be seen. Compare this with KPLC.

The company will still make huge profits at its current tariffs if only it reins in on its inefficiencies.

Applause Applause Applause i totally agree