Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

32 Pages«<23456>»
Kenya Power - what's the latest?
dunkang
#61 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 2:15:08 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
dunkang wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
The corrupt gichuru,moi top management cronies still work for kplc upto today.it will never deliver.

Exactly. Its nothing to do with rates. Its all about corruption and unwillingness of the administration to rein in!

Example, at the Mathare and Huruma Slums in Nairobi, almost 75p.c of the houses have KPLC electricity that each pay 100/- monthly to protected cartels. (fyi i grew up there and moved out 12 years ago). So, instead of KPLC ensuring they collect the money themselves at a special rate instead of this criminals, they hike rates to the law abiding customers and eat with the IPPs.

They should learn from the water sector failures, you make the rates unaffordable, guys tamper with your systems.
What do you want KPLC to do? They cannot go into the slums without police protection. And I don't mean the 'kawaida' police but GSU. The government [security forces] need to be involved in ensuring vandalism is stamped out.

Just as the DP hinted, they should put their house in order first.
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.” ― Rashi

VituVingiSana
#62 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 2:18:05 PM

dunkang wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
dunkang wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
The corrupt gichuru,moi top management cronies still work for kplc upto today.it will never deliver.

Exactly. Its nothing to do with rates. Its all about corruption and unwillingness of the administration to rein in!

Example, at the Mathare and Huruma Slums in Nairobi, almost 75p.c of the houses have KPLC electricity that each pay 100/- monthly to protected cartels. (fyi i grew up there and moved out 12 years ago). So, instead of KPLC ensuring they collect the money themselves at a special rate instead of this criminals, they hike rates to the law abiding customers and eat with the IPPs.

They should learn from the water sector failures, you make the rates unaffordable, guys tamper with your systems.
What do you want KPLC to do? They cannot go into the slums without police protection. And I don't mean the 'kawaida' police but GSU. The government [security forces] need to be involved in ensuring vandalism is stamped out.

Just as the DP hinted, they should put their house in order first.
How?
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
mlennyma
#63 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 2:26:29 PM

The start of all this is corrupt staff and management.starting point is to sack all the top management who know all eating loop holes for many years.its not that tapping of power cant be stopped but this money is shared by cartels,staff and top managers.
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
streetwise
#64 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 2:29:03 PM

Althouh all explanations are possible the summery is: Corruption.

Obi 1 Kanobi
#65 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 3:21:58 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Rahatupu wrote:
Kaigangio wrote:
mkonomtupu wrote:
i read what the Ruto had to say and I was horrified for a moment. Has the guy read the contracts that Kenya power has entered into with the independent power producers? Has he seen the contracts with Turkana wind power project? That's what you call a road side declaration even Moi would not go that low. Does he realise just a few years back Kenya power was on the brink of insolvency yet he says "we cannot subsidise Kenya Power operations forever". The GoK had to do a balance sheet clean up to get this damn thing on the road to recovery. I think they should delist this company and the govt should keep it's inefficient parastatals to itself instead of duping the investing public

are you telling us that if KP& Darkness Countrywide will collapse if they don't effect the rate increase?? a fallacy!!

the power firm has been declaring billions of shillings of profit over the last couple of years.

@Mkonoempty, Look at the BIGGER picture and not your selfish dividends on performance of the KPLC share. How do you explain how imported power from Ethiopia could be 10 times cheaper? Until the darkness company discovers "Who moved their cheese" they will clueless for a long time.
Are you sure that electricity prices in Ethiopia is 10% of what KPLC charges? BTW, KPLC is a distributor which pays about 8cents [or more] to many producers e.g. IPPs. A country may choose to subsidize electricity as Egypt does or have huge natural resources like Ethiopia does. Kenya has 2 major rivers but compared to the Blue Nile [Ethiopia] or Nile [Egypt] are but piddling streams. We have no coal, LNG or oil [production] thus little access to cheap thermal power.

We are not discussing the lack of resources here, we are all aware of that, the point everyone is trying to make is the existence of obvious inefficiencies at the company and its top managements inability to maximise the use of even the little energy output the country has.

I also doubt electricity costs in Ethiopia are 10% of kenya's.
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
mlennyma
#66 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 3:31:09 PM

When will we wakeup and find independent power companies directly producing and supplying power without passing through this bogus company?
jerry
#67 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 3:44:49 PM

mlennyma wrote:
When will we wakeup and find independent power companies directly producing and supplying power without passing through this bogus company?

Are you saying it's cheaper to be suplied by diesel generators directly?
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
mlennyma
#68 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 3:51:09 PM

No but i mean the power problems in kenya is largely a creation by kenya power just like telkom used to do.
Mainat
#69 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 4:22:43 PM

Really need to introduce compe in distribution. Also, should require all new homes to have solar power installed.
Sehemu ndio nyumba
VituVingiSana
#70 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 4:41:48 PM

mlennyma wrote:
Easy. You are allowed to have a distribution network of your own. I suspect Tatu City [if KPLC remains unreliable] may install their own grid & buy power from IPPs.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
jerry
#71 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 4:45:40 PM

mlennyma wrote:
No but i mean the power problems in kenya is largely a creation by kenya power just like telkom used to do.

KP should be re-structured and GoK should un-tether it!
streetwise
#72 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 5:20:18 PM

Just gotten a brain wave we need SafariPower....just like sfaricom
VituVingiSana
#73 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 5:26:01 PM

And Gov't of Uganda does something similar to Umeme

http://www.monitor.co.ug...68/-/ckmw39/-/index.html
guru267
#74 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 5:33:57 PM

I'm worried about all this populist policies at the expense of long term sustainability!!

I wouldn't mind paying more now as long as my children and grandchildren get to pay less!!
Mark 12:29
Deuteronomy 4:16
kyt
#75 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 5:39:26 PM

@guru and really will they? Za ovyo
LOVE WHAT YOU DO, DO WHAT YOU LOVE.
mlennyma
#76 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 5:57:03 PM

Its only competition which can bring reliable and sustainable supply..instead of dictating prices to kenya power the gvt should licence like 3 companies to buy and sell power from kengen and other sources.
mwekez@ji
#77 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 11:09:50 PM

@mlennyma, Kenya Power competition is on the way >>> Towards the close of the trading session today, an MP allied to the ruling Jubilee government proposed to bring a Bill that could potentially dismantle Kenya Power distribution network by allowing other players into the subsector.
jerry
#78 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 11:27:10 PM

I don't understand the work of the senate. Reviewing of county laws and impeachment of the president? Kenya power ni yao kweli?
mwekez@ji
#79 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 11:32:37 PM

jerry wrote:
I don't understand the work of the senate.

i see you point. have amended above
mwekez@ji
#80 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 11:36:38 PM

MP files Motion to end Kenya Power monopoly

A Motion filed in the House is seeking to liberalise power distribution and break Kenya Power’s monopoly to foster competition and improve efficiency.

http://www.businessdailyafrica....4/-/icox5fz/-/index.html