wazua Thu, May 16, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages123>»
Battle of the smartphones in kenya
madollar
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 5:07:48 PM

After the idiot,samsung galaxy, techno chuma even forme and bird have a smart phone and many other brands.

We now have another one called YOLO by intel the first of its kind in africa its sports a 3.5-inch touch display, and its Atom Z2420 processor can hit speeds of up to 1.2GHz, encode and decode 1080p video, and support HSPA+ data speed.

Going for 11K this segment of the market looks too crowded and they be latecomers....

http://techcrunch.com/20...powered-yolo-smartphone/
Gordon Gekko
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 5:30:39 PM

I think there's still room in this segment. A cheap smart phone with a serious battery life. If only this less than 10k android smart phone arena could get something with a battery that lasts over 24 hrs, I will gladly procure.
ChessMaster
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 7:15:29 PM

I think this is one segment to watch.You are right all smartphones have battery life issues. This shouldn't worry you for long. Technology tends to get cheaper and better as times progresses. As it creates a huge opportunity,people are working on ways to solve the battery problem.

All the phones above are running on android. That's something to note. Safaricom is seeking revenue from data. In Africa the mobile phone is the dominant means of access to the internet. I expect more smartphone apps competitions and more mobile websites being made. The more apps being made locally the bigger the selection customers can choose from and thus spur more data usage. Mobile websites will also become a priority for organizations as more people start utilizing smartphones.

The price is relatively cheap. I say this considering the prices of phones when mobile phones went mainstream in Kenya. The costs of smartphones will surely go down and in turn slowly replace feature phones just like "colour" phones replaced the previous group.Another thing to watch out is the effects of smartphones in influencing the preferred communication channels.
Uncertainty is certain.Let go
madollar
#4 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 11:37:54 AM

Why kenya INTEL could have chosen another country to launch YOLO have they been to to downtown nairobi and see the so called smartphones on sale some going for less than 5K .

is it locked to safaricom would be interesting to know how many unit they will have sold after 1 year .the reason why huawei was so successful coz they were first of the blocks.....
ChessMaster
#5 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 11:44:22 AM

madollar wrote:
Why kenya INTEL could have chosen another country to launch YOLO have they been to to downtown nairobi and see the so called smartphones on sale some going for less than 5K .

is it locked to safaricom would be interesting to know how many unit they will have sold after 1 year .the reason why huawei was so successful coz they were first of the blocks.....

Youth are the majority of this country. Kenya is connected now. Mobile money and m-commerce. 1080p video,safaricom is gunning for some massive data exchanges. They both gain,safcom has a strong brand name and so does intel,synergy. The battle is on,ni kubaya.If safcom removes an android m-pesa app I'm buying safcom shares that very day.
madollar
#6 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 11:52:38 AM

ChessMaster wrote:
madollar wrote:

Youth are the majority of this country. Kenya is connected now. Mobile money and m-commerce. 1080p video,safaricom is gunning for some massive data exchanges. They both gain,safcom has a strong brand name and so does intel,synergy. The battle is on,ni kubaya.If safcom removes an android m-pesa app I'm buying safcom shares that very day.

They should target first time consumers of smart phones like nokia and techno are doing

i dont see some one with a lumia worth 30000 k downgrading unless they have various models with different pricing thats when first in africa tag phrase will work smile
ChessMaster
#7 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 11:57:33 AM

madollar wrote:
ChessMaster wrote:
madollar wrote:

They should target first time consumers of smart phones like nokia and techno are doing

i dont see some one with a lumia worth 30000 k downgrading unless they have various models with different pricing thats when first in africa tag phrase will work smile

There are a lot of first time users.If I remember right its on android 4.0. Most of the others av seen are in the 2 range
Money Whisperer
#8 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 4:22:28 PM

My eye is on Sony Ericsson Ray, i want to cash in my bonga points and grab as I'm tired of my blackberry (nothing in particular, BB is awesome, just want a change). anybody with experience, hearsay, rumors on this ka-phone? I'm trying to avoid Samsung....too much
"Money never sleeps"
ChessMaster
#9 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 4:25:59 PM

Money Whisperer wrote:
My eye is on Sony Ericsson Ray, i want to cash in my bonga points and grab as I'm tired of my blackberry (nothing in particular, BB is awesome, just want a change). anybody with experience, hearsay, rumors on this ka-phone? I'm trying to avoid Samsung....too much

I thought they split. Now lets see who was the more innovative one? Anyway,what do you want to know maybe I can help.
Money Whisperer
#10 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 5:41:51 PM

ChessMaster wrote:
Money Whisperer wrote:

I thought they split. Now lets see who was the more innovative one? Anyway,what do you want to know maybe I can help.

the performance, battery life anything that would convince a blackberry junky to consider the phone apart from the usual android sales pitches.
"Money never sleeps"
ChessMaster
#11 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 5:46:15 PM

Battery life depends on how you're using the phone.Performance in terms of what? Do you like keypads or touch?
Money Whisperer
#12 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 6:04:45 PM

ChessMaster wrote:
Battery life depends on how you're using the phone.Performance in terms of what? Do you like keypads or touch?

not used to touch sana but ready to learn. I said hapo juu that i currently operate blackberry so advise me accordingly. I'm a having browser engaging guys on Wazua and other forums from my phone.
"Money never sleeps"
ChessMaster
#13 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 6:10:32 PM

Money Whisperer wrote:
ChessMaster wrote:

not used to touch sana but ready to learn. I said hapo juu that i currently operate blackberry so advise me accordingly. I'm a having browser engaging guys on Wazua and other forums from my phone.

If you're used to a keypad you might get frustrated by touch when it comes to typing. Do you have opera on your phone?

Don't get that,what browser are you using?
harrydre
#14 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 8:45:34 PM

thinking of changing my phone soon. no particular issue with it just need some change. Currently have the blackberry Torch..am confused between the blackberry 10 (coming out early Feb), HTC Windows phone or the Samsung Galaxy note 4 (Coming out in April). Anybody with some comparison notes on performance, browsing speeds, features, apps, battery life etc please share!
i.am.back!!!!
ChessMaster
#15 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 9:09:09 PM

harrydre wrote:
thinking of changing my phone soon. no particular issue with it just need some change. Currently have the blackberry Torch..am confused between the blackberry 10 (coming out early Feb), HTC Windows phone or the Samsung Galaxy note 4 (Coming out in April). Anybody with some comparison notes on performance, browsing speeds, features, apps, battery life etc please share!

The question you should ask yourself is,what do you intend to do with your smartphone.Performance is dependent on what your needs are.Battery life is dependent on what you are doing with it. Browsing speeds depends on what network you are on and your location. Features are relatively the same. Apps,windows phone 8,don't expect as many apps.Its fairly recent. Android ranks when it comes to diversity of apps.
madollar
#16 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:40:31 AM

Money Whisperer wrote:

Samsung mobile phones are now becoming like proboxes they may even overtake the famous savco jeans in terms popularity .They have a phone for every segment of the market from 1800ksh to over 55000K Shame on you
josiah33
#17 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:41:12 AM

For phone specifications you can visit gsmarena, it might be helpful- http://www.gsmarena.com/
Money Whisperer
#18 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 1:29:55 PM

ChessMaster wrote:
Money Whisperer wrote:
ChessMaster wrote:

If you're used to a keypad you might get frustrated by touch when it comes to typing. Do you have opera on your phone?

Don't get that,what browser are you using?

sorry keyboard malfunction I meant to say I'm a HEAVY browser. Yes I do have and love opera mini.
"Money never sleeps"
Money Whisperer
#19 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 1:33:42 PM

[quote=josiah33]For phone specifications you can visit gsmarena, it might be helpful- http://www.gsmarena.com/[/quote]

I visit this site and I did see some not so nice reviews of the sony ericsson, that's why I thought of asking guys I can trust and also given that the specs defer with the markets the gadget is intended for.
"Money never sleeps"
Money Whisperer
#20 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 11:50:06 AM

ChessMaster wrote:
Money Whisperer wrote:
My eye is on Sony Ericsson

checked out the phone jana and noticed it is sony no ericsson, how did I miss the split? so now ericsson focuses on installations only?
"Money never sleeps"