wazua Fri, May 3, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages<1234>
Likoni Ferry tragedy....
Impunity
#21 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 1:28:35 PM

Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

Impunity
#22 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 1:33:58 PM

mwenza wrote:
Impunity wrote:
mwenza wrote:
Impunity wrote:
mwenza wrote:
If you do a bridge across the LIkoni channel, how will ships access the kilindini harbour?

See post no. 11 above.
smile

What is a suspension bridge GATE?

This is a special purpose bridge suspended over a large mass of water and with an electrically actuated hydraulic gate; an operator through some levers actuates the gate to open hence allowing a big Ship/Steamer to pass through the gate while the traffic is stopped at either side of the highway.
smile

By their very nature of design, suspension bridges cannot be discontinuous in mid span. They therefore can not be openable in the middle.

Hence the difference between an engineer and a technician.

essyk
#23 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 1:48:29 PM

Eager to know the company owning that truck.I thought it was an ordinary lorry kumbe ni ya 40 ft!!
"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.
Mchanganuzi
#24 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 3:21:59 PM

Impunity wrote:

Read between the above pictures. Was the lorry sunk after the incident? Why? Sad

One media house announced that 11 were dead in the morning, and later scales down the figure to 4 people, an account to me by a witness says more than 20 could have succumbedSad

Very sad though. May the souls of those who left us RIP.

Gordon Gekko
#25 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 3:22:25 PM

Impunity wrote:
mwenza wrote:
Impunity wrote:
mwenza wrote:
If you do a bridge across the LIkoni channel, how will ships access the kilindini harbour?

See post no. 11 above.
smile

This is a special purpose bridge suspended over a large mass of water and with an electrically actuated hydraulic gate; an operator through some levers actuates the gate to open hence allowing a big Ship/Steamer to pass through the gate while the traffic is stopped at either side of the highway.
smile

I think you have described a drawbridge. A drawbridge has a small span of which Likoni Channel isn't appropriate. A suspension bridge for Likoni will need to be high enough to let ships under it, for which one requires a long 'runway' to ensure a gradual climb/descent. Mombasa Island doesn't have the luxury of real estate to allow for this. The most logical option would be a tunnel. This is very expensive so we just have to put up with the ferries.
Impunity
#26 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 3:26:52 PM

Mchanganuzi wrote:

Impunity wrote:

Read between the above pictures. Was the lorry sank after the incident? Why? Sad

One media house announced that 11 were dead in the morning, and later scales down the figure to 4 people, an account to me by a witness says more than 20 could have succumbedSad

Very sad though. May the souls of those who left us RIP.

If at all it was sunk then it must have been sunk by the Coxswain and not wanainchi.
Who pushed the ferry into the sea?
d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!

Mchanganuzi
#27 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 3:30:33 PM

@impunity. If you "read between the pictures" if i call it that way, can't you identify who sunk the lorry?Shame on you
Impunity
#28 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 3:32:14 PM

Mchanganuzi wrote:
@impunity. If you "read between the pictures" if i call it that way, can't you identify who sunk the lorry?Shame on you

The lorry was sunk by the Coxswain.

essyk
#29 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 3:32:31 PM

Quote:
Read between the above pictures. Was the lorry sank after the incident? Why?

Unfortunately yes. Hasira!

The Ferry coxswain or whatever they call him alikasirika and pulled off deliberately.
I truly pity the owners of the goods in that container.
Those are things we never consider when we act out of anger.

But how did this happen? Was the driver blind or high? So sad.
"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.
Mchanganuzi
#30 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 3:41:57 PM

essyk wrote:
Quote:
Read between the above pictures. Was the lorry sank after the incident? Why?

Unfortunately yes. Hasira!

The Ferry coxswain or whatever they call him alikasirika and pulled off deliberately.
I truly pity the owners of the goods in that container.
Those are things we never consider when we act out of anger.

But how did this happen? Was the driver blind or high? So sad.

I sympathize most with the survivors and the deceased ones. Any learned friend in the house to help me understand how you go about such a case. Makosa isafanyika na sasa lori hakuna. Does that not limit the victims case? Lori ingekuwa ingesaidia kujua mambo mingi sana. My view though.
mwenza
#31 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 3:47:04 PM

Gordon Gekko wrote:
Impunity wrote:
mwenza wrote:
Impunity wrote:
mwenza wrote:

See post no. 11 above.
smile

smile

I think you have described a drawbridge. A drawbridge has a small span of which Likoni Channel isn't appropriate. A suspension bridge for Likoni will need to be high enough to let ships under it, for which one requires a long 'runway' to ensure a gradual climb/descent. Mombasa Island doesn't have the luxury of real estate to allow for this. The most logical option would be a tunnel. This is very expensive so we just have to put up with the ferries.

Very correct... The approaches on either side of the bridge would be awesome. The execution logistics would not be a stroll in the park, not to mention the financial implications involved.Therein lies the reason why the GK has not acted on the bridge option. It's all very easy reading stuff about what "others" have done elsewhere but its a different ball game trying to replicate the same across the likoni channel.

An engineer friend of mine tells me that he has never come across the phrase "suspension bridge gate".
IF YOU EXPECT ME TO POST ANYTHING POSITIVE ABOUT ASENO, YOU MAY AS WELL SIT ON A PIN
Impunity
#32 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 4:07:18 PM

mwenza wrote:
Gordon Gekko wrote:
Impunity wrote:
mwenza wrote:
Impunity wrote:
mwenza wrote:

See post no. 11 above.
smile

smile

Very correct... The approaches on either side of the bridge would be awesome. The execution logistics would not be a stroll in the park, not to mention the financial implications involved.Therein lies the reason why the GK has not acted on the bridge option. It's all very easy reading stuff about what "others" have done elsewhere but its a different ball game trying to replicate the same across the likoni channel.

An engineer friend of mine tells me that he has never come across the phrase "suspension bridge gate".

Give him a break, he may be a Punjab graduate.

What was the cost of the two new ferries bought recentry? Could that money be enough to build that expensive bridge over the channel?
d'oh!

mwenza
#33 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 4:29:05 PM

Somebody here doesn't seem to appreciate the challenges and the intricasies of doing a suspension bridge across the likoni channel. Trust me if ships do not use that channel, the bridge would have been done a long time ago. It's not like nobody has ever heard of vertical, bascule, suspension bridges etc.... The challenges here are very unique.

People should not confuse this channel with the one that connects MOkowe to Amu island. The only reason the Gk has not done the MOkowe-Amu bridge is political (read loss of livelihood to boat owners/employees).
IF YOU EXPECT ME TO POST ANYTHING POSITIVE ABOUT ASENO, YOU MAY AS WELL SIT ON A PIN
newfarer
#34 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 6:57:15 PM

Impunity wrote:
What is the fate of the driver?
Its high time we did away with these archaic means of crossing channels.
We need suspension bridges, you done here ferries carrying people in Los Angeles or Hudson Bay!

pole to the affected
punda amecheka
essyk
#35 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 7:20:25 PM

Driver is helping police with investigation.
Eye witness says, he tried to save the truck instead of lives.

The brakes failed long before the descend started and he went crushing into the crowd.Pray scary.
'Kata corner', screamed the turn boy but hakusikia.

So no action will be taken wananchi have been asked to obey the ferry rules and yeah it's back to normal till the next tragedy.
God comfort the bereaved.

mgeman
#36 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 7:52:02 PM

Gordon Gekko wrote:
Impunity wrote:
mwenza wrote:
Impunity wrote:
mwenza wrote:

See post no. 11 above.
smile

smile

Anything is possible wazuans the suspension bridge below in china is 355m above the ground. If that is not enough, it is connecting two channels. The chinese are doing crazy bridges, we just have to talk nicely to the Wuyi's.
I am an African

-Thambo Mbeki Speech
harrydre
#37 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 10:01:19 PM

we've always had these likoni ferry accidents but never from them.

it's time a bridge was built and heavy lorries restricted from passenger areas and not only Likoni but the entire country.
i.am.back!!!!
dunkang
#38 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2015 3:08:59 PM

Finally, the solution to the Likoni Crossing is here with us
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.” ― Rashi

T-Bag
#39 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2019 3:54:26 PM

THIS IS 2019!

Mombasa-Likoni bridge, building will start next april.

The works, costing 82 billion kenian shillings (about 700 million euros), are likely to start in April 2018.

http://www.malindikenya....l-start-next-april.html

SURELY WE CAN’T BE HELPED!!!!

My thoughts coming from sunken car tragedy..is...no one has found how to "eat from this project as usual"...thus delivering the bridge anyways?
I AM trust in GOD, I AM belief in THYSELF
murchr
#40 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2019 4:36:15 PM

T-Bag wrote:
THIS IS 2019!

Mombasa-Likoni bridge, building will start next april.

The works, costing 82 billion kenian shillings (about 700 million euros), are likely to start in April 2018.

http://www.malindikenya....l-start-next-april.html

SURELY WE CAN’T BE HELPED!!!!

My thoughts coming from sunken car tragedy..is...no one has found how to "eat from this project as usual"...thus delivering the bridge anyways?

There's something in Mwafika's IQ that is not right. I do not think this will be the last accident. Shida iko na ni kubwa.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore