wazua Fri, May 17, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

18 Pages«<910111213>»
What is a "good salary" in Kenya?
repat
#201 Posted : Friday, January 15, 2016 6:57:05 AM

Rollout wrote:
My total expenses for my 3 weeks annual visit to Kenya is between ksh400k-ksh500k. I spend more money in Kenya than in USA. I wonder how Kenyans actually make it.

I once walked into a Hotel in Kisumu only to be told that the price is Ksh 40k per night, a comparable hotel in USA would have been somewhere between 15k-20k. Sumsang tablet that cost 18k in USA cost 39k in Nairobi

It costs you soo much cause unaenda kenya spending money like youre running for bunge...If you spend 500k in 3weeks it means you spend 500000/20...which works out to roughly 20k per day...Mimi ni wale wanapenda johnny walker ile ya brack rebo kwanza...hata niki blow pesa aje I dont get to hiyo level yako. i still hang out with friends who i buy drinks for, collect a harem of yelo yelos who are impressed by the ka accent I can throw in as neccessary (you na am sayin'..lol). spend nights in hotels in nai regurlaly....(acha maneno za sijui hilton ama ma best western..Mvuli suites on kipande road is just as good as holiday Inn here. 8k on hotels.com, you book it on your phone while youre in the taxi with your ka yellow)

Bottom line ni ukienda kenya kama tourist, lazima ujue ku plan ndio fun isi haribu mfuko...On the other hand a local chap doesnt have as much expenses as you. he doesnt need a hotel, his ka yello yelo is cheap cause ana jua bado next month ata msort tena, all frinds are in the same place in life so una nunua round leo, kesho una nunuliwa etc..
enyands
#202 Posted : Friday, January 15, 2016 8:32:14 AM

Rollout wrote:
My total expenses for my 3 weeks annual visit to Kenya is between ksh400k-ksh500k. I spend more money in Kenya than in USA. I wonder how Kenyans actually make it.

I once walked into a Hotel in Kisumu only to be told that the price is Ksh 40k per night, a comparable hotel in USA would have been somewhere between 15k-20k. Sumsang tablet that cost 18k in USA cost 39k in Nairobi

Is it me alone who is seeing this business opportunity bearing in mind that I can send my people to be bringing those stuff in their suitcases then I head to kisumu city and make 2 times the profit .Infact visiting amazon and refurbished ones can cost as less than even $100!!!
sitaki.kujulikana
#203 Posted : Friday, January 15, 2016 10:51:12 AM

most are basing their points on formally employed people,
guys in gikomba who deal at the bale level make between 100-200k per month, the same at marikiti, na akina kongowea.
On average a matatu driver on the decent route makes more than 2k per day, we have not even included the middle level / green house farmers, add to that the middle level biashara owners e.g small pubs, those who own a couple of matatus.

a good number of the houses you see doting rongai and the likes of ruai are mostly owned by such, they make decent cash 100k + per month and they are living decent lives.
kaka2za
#204 Posted : Friday, January 15, 2016 11:00:23 AM

enyands wrote:
Rollout wrote:

Is it me alone who is seeing this business opportunity bearing in mind that I can send my people to be bringing those stuff in their suitcases then I head to kisumu city and make 2 times the profit .Infact visiting amazon and refurbished ones can cost as less than even $100!!!

I thought the guy was joking.Which hotel in Kisumu charges $400 per night?
I doubt even Serena charges that much.
Electronics are relatively cheap in Nairobi compared with other countries in this region.
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)
UpcomingPaperChaser
#205 Posted : Friday, January 15, 2016 1:12:07 PM

repat wrote:
Rollout wrote:

It costs you soo much cause unaenda kenya spending money like youre running for bunge...If you spend 500k in 3weeks it means you spend 500000/20...which works out to roughly 20k per day...Mimi ni wale wanapenda johnny walker ile ya brack rebo kwanza...hata niki blow pesa aje I dont get to hiyo level yako. i still hang out with friends who i buy drinks for, collect a harem of yelo yelos who are impressed by the ka accent I can throw in as neccessary (you na am sayin'..lol). spend nights in hotels in nai regurlaly....(acha maneno za sijui hilton ama ma best western..Mvuli suites on kipande road is just as good as holiday Inn here. 8k on hotels.com, you book it on your phone while youre in the taxi with your ka yellow)

Bottom line ni ukienda kenya kama tourist, lazima ujue ku plan ndio fun isi haribu mfuko...On the other hand a local chap doesnt have as much expenses as you. he doesnt need a hotel, his ka yello yelo is cheap cause ana jua bado next month ata msort tena, all frinds are in the same place in life so una nunua round leo, kesho una nunuliwa etc..

I have known your weakness, sijui unatoboaje majuu bila chips fungas za kenya?
Enjoy every moment of your life, you never know when your time will come.
Rollout
#206 Posted : Friday, January 15, 2016 8:21:16 PM

kaka2za wrote:
enyands wrote:
Rollout wrote:

Electronics are relatively cheap in Nairobi compared with other countries in this region.

I am serious! check Eco lodge Kisumu, check the standard rates. Electronics are cheap in Nbi???? not Sumsang tablets then because the price is what was marked on a product that I had purchase in USA for someone a couple of days before I travel, same product, same verson, same color, kshs 20k difference!
kaka2za
#207 Posted : Friday, January 15, 2016 9:21:25 PM

Rollout wrote:
kaka2za wrote:
enyands wrote:
Rollout wrote:

I am serious! check Eco lodge Kisumu, check the standard rates. Electronics are cheap in Nbi???? not Sumsang tablets then because the price is what was marked on a product that I had purchase in USA for someone a couple of days before I travel, same product, same verson, same color, kshs 20k difference!

I said relatively cheap. People travel from neighbouring countries to buy laptops and phones in Nairobi.
In fact a number of organizations are no longer buying computers from Europe because the prices are quite fair in Nairobi.
Hio mambo ya tablet sijui. As someone pointed out there is a great business opportunity if the price difference is 20K though you have to factor in freight and related costs.
(James Russell Rowell)
repat
#208 Posted : Saturday, January 16, 2016 2:59:31 AM

UpcomingPaperChaser wrote:
repat wrote:
Rollout wrote:

Hapo ume nipata. i have a weakness for fine scotch and fine women..Hata hapa wako, they just dont compare to the akinyis and njeris. But unajua simba aki kosa nyama hula nyasismile

This is what i was trying to save the brother from experience first hand...The land of milk and honey is full of paupers trying to scrape by...soma hiii hapo chini

http://www.salon.com/201...n_have_1000_in_savings/
hardwood
#209 Posted : Saturday, January 16, 2016 11:28:37 AM

repat wrote:
repat wrote:
Rollout wrote:

Hapo ume nipata. i have a weakness for fine scotch and fine women..Hata hapa wako, they just dont compare to the akinyis and njeris. But unajua simba aki kosa nyama hula nyasismile

This is what i was trying to save the brother from experience first hand...The land of milk and honey is full of paupers trying to scrape by...soma hiii hapo chini

Unbelievable...

http://www.forbes.com/si...313a03186dde1d7072606dde
UpcomingPaperChaser
#210 Posted : Saturday, January 16, 2016 2:48:15 PM

hardwood wrote:
repat wrote:
repat wrote:
[quote=Rollout]My total expenses for my 3 weeks annual visit to Kenya is between ksh400k-ksh500k. I spend more money in Kenya than in USA. I wonder how Kenyans actually make it.

Unbelievable...

http://www.forbes.com/si...13a03186dde1d7072606dde[/quote]

Thanks for the insight bro.......lakini those Americans are used to eating burgers worth tens of dollars daily, living in expensive hoods n other unnecessary expenses which a typical Kenyan from Githurai 45 will consider them luxuries!! now
Enjoy every moment of your life, you never know when your time will come.
enyands
#211 Posted : Monday, January 18, 2016 8:12:26 AM

hardwood wrote:
repat wrote:
repat wrote:
[quote=Rollout]My total expenses for my 3 weeks annual visit to Kenya is between ksh400k-ksh500k. I spend more money in Kenya than in USA. I wonder how Kenyans actually make it.

Unbelievable...

http://www.forbes.com/si...13a03186dde1d7072606dde[/quote]

Thanks for the insight bro.......lakini those Americans are used to eating burgers worth tens of dollars daily, living in expensive hoods n other unnecessary expenses which a typical Kenyan from Githurai 45 will consider them luxuries!! now

Watch "Jeff Daniels - America is NOT the greatest country anymore" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/9zZxBNRTkd4
Rollout
#212 Posted : Wednesday, January 20, 2016 1:39:07 AM

repat wrote:
repat wrote:
Rollout wrote:

Let's be honest, poverty in USA is very different to poverty in Kenya.

In USA poor kids do not die of hunger but they become overweight for eating unhealthy junk food. In Kenya kids actually die, thats the difference.
sitaki.kujulikana
#213 Posted : Wednesday, January 20, 2016 8:09:07 AM

Rollout wrote:
repat wrote:
repat wrote:
Rollout wrote:

In USA poor kids do not die of hunger but they become overweight for eating unhealthy junk food. In Kenya kids actually die, thats the difference.

where have you heard of poor kids die in Kenya from hunger, I never see the kids in slums die from hunger.
lets take the most extreme form of poverty, whats the difference between a homeless person in Kenya and the states, since I have never been to the states, I would assume you go through similar challenges.
hardwood
#214 Posted : Wednesday, January 20, 2016 10:06:31 AM

Americans built their country from scratch, and faced many challenges. We have also made good progress. We shall also overcome. Many of our parents grew up in unfavourable conditions (just like the early Americans in the photo below), but our current generation has progressed and are living in mansions, apartments while driving 4x4s.

Mukiri
#215 Posted : Wednesday, January 20, 2016 8:56:34 PM

sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
Rollout wrote:
repat wrote:
repat wrote:
Rollout wrote:

where have you heard of poor kids die in Kenya from hunger, I never see the kids in slums die from hunger.
lets take the most extreme form of poverty, whats the difference between a homeless person in Kenya and the states, since I have never been to the states, I would assume you go through similar challenges.

Then you have never volunteered, or just glance at slums from your lavingtoned googles. Developed countries have welfare, volunteer food spots and shelters, to take care of abject poverty. Organ harvesters and child kidnappers vulture on the poor here.

Proverbs 19:21
kaka2za
#216 Posted : Wednesday, January 20, 2016 10:40:00 PM

Mukiri wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
Rollout wrote:
repat wrote:
repat wrote:
Rollout wrote:

Then you have never volunteered, or just glance at slums from your lavingtoned googles. Developed countries have welfare, volunteer food spots and shelters, to take care of abject poverty. Organ harvesters and child kidnappers vulture on the poor here.

Poor countries also have traditional social welfare that shield the very needy especially in Sahelian region.
We have abandoned African socialism Kenya has the worst form of capitalism. No wonder Nairobi is more dangerous than some war zones.
(James Russell Rowell)
Swenani
#217 Posted : Thursday, January 21, 2016 10:02:40 AM

kaka2za wrote:
Mukiri wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
Rollout wrote:
repat wrote:
repat wrote:
Rollout wrote:

Poor countries also have traditional social welfare that shield the very needy especially in Sahelian region.
We have abandoned African socialism Kenya has the worst form of capitalism. No wonder Nairobi is more dangerous than some war zones.

sad that a wazuan has been whitewashed
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
kaka2za
#218 Posted : Thursday, January 21, 2016 1:32:58 PM

@Swenani I am a proud Kenyan and work in a conflict area somewhere in the region. When in Nairobi,I can't dare walk out of our Ndumbuini home past 9pm. But over here in this troubled part of Africa,I don't have to lock the door when I go to bed.
(James Russell Rowell)
luttz
#219 Posted : Thursday, January 21, 2016 5:58:42 PM

@ Kaka2za, so true. It's more safer in many war zones than in Nairobi. Not only within the region but in many other places as well. I doubt I can sleep with the door open in Nairobi but I gladly do so out here.
"You've never lived until you've almost died; for those who have fought for it, life has a flavour the protected will never know."
Larayna
#220 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2016 12:35:46 AM

hardwood wrote:
Americans built their country from scratch, and faced many challenges. We have also made good progress. We shall also overcome. Many of our parents grew up in unfavourable conditions (just like the early Americans in the photo below), but our current generation has progressed and are living in mansions, apartments while driving 4x4s.

Well Well , Americans did'nt start from scratch. They had millions of Slaves providing free labour for hundreds of years. Can you imagine how great Kenya will be if we had just two years of free labour.
And of Kenyans living in mansions, apartments and driving 4x4s, well thats less than 5% of the population. Nothing to be proud of. 80% of the population has no access to clean drinking water ( some 4x4s have mitungis in their trunks daily)