wazua Thu, Apr 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Bad breath..how to get help for a loved one
smith01
#1 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 9:26:55 AM

Someone tell me how to go about telling someone that they have bad breath politely and actually getting them some help. From the little research that I have done, there are other causes apart from poor oral hygiene. The person actually practices proper oral hygiene but it persists.

Thing is I don't know if he is aware Sad
quicksand
#2 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 9:32:44 AM

smith01 wrote:

Someone tell me how to go about telling someone that they have bad breath politely and actually getting them some help. From the little research that I have done, there are other causes apart from poor oral hygiene. The person actually practices proper oral hygiene but it persists.

Buy a huge bottle of Listerine and place it over the bathroom sink. No words needed.
grolut
#3 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 9:41:32 AM

Does he floss? He could have a mild case of gingivitis. Get him to floss and use a chlorhexidine based mouth wash. If after a couple of weeks it isn't any better, he should visit a dentist for more advice.
In a place where thought is abandoned, freedom can become a curse.
smith01
#4 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 9:46:59 AM

grolut wrote:
Does he floss? He could have a mild case of gingivitis. Get him to floss and use a chlorhexidine based mouth wash. If after a couple of weeks it isn't any better, he should visit a dentist for more advice.

@grolut Thanks.
I don't think he flosses. I will get him to do it and also get the mouth wash. Does Listerine have chlorhexidine? If not which one has?

@quicksand most appreciated!

@all peeping I know you this resonates with most of you smile
Elder
#5 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 10:00:36 AM

smith01 wrote:
grolut wrote:

@grolut Thanks.
I don't think he flosses. I will get him to do it and also get the mouth wash. Does Listerine have chlorhexidine? If not which one has?

So this is a person you are living with and you do not have the courage to tell them the truth!!!! Shame on you Shame on you Pray Pray
He who can express in words the ardour of his love, has but little love to express. - Petrach, Son. (That men by various ways arrive at the same end. - Montaigne, The Essays of.)
smith01
#6 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 10:06:56 AM

Elder wrote:
smith01 wrote:
grolut wrote:

@grolut Thanks.

@all peeping I know this resonates with most of you smile

So this is a person you are living with and you do not have the courage to tell them the truth!!!! Shame on you Shame on you Pray Pray

@ Elder
Nope I am not living with the person. I will do as @quicksand advised....plus the floss
quicksand
#7 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 10:07:28 AM

Elder wrote:
smith01 wrote:
grolut wrote:

@grolut Thanks.

Truth, especially with loved ones requires tact. There is nothing wrong with asking people how to approach a delicate situation.
grolut
#8 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 10:15:54 AM

smith01 wrote:
grolut wrote:

@grolut Thanks.

Probably not, you can get it at any chemist though.
In a place where thought is abandoned, freedom can become a curse.
Elder
#9 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 10:22:58 AM

smith01 wrote:
Elder wrote:
smith01 wrote:
grolut wrote:

@grolut Thanks.

@all peeping I know this resonates with most of you smile

@ Elder
Nope I am not living with the person. I will do as @quicksand advised....plus the floss

Then you are at least tight enough for you to have access to his/her bathroom so I still find it surprising that you cannot be just honest and discuss it with him/her.
@quicksand true tact would be required for loved ones in some instances but bad breath seriously calls for honesty. I would understand if it was just an acquaintance or friend but not a loved one.
He who can express in words the ardour of his love, has but little love to express. - Petrach, Son. (That men by various ways arrive at the same end. - Montaigne, The Essays of.)
ZZE123
#10 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 10:55:40 AM

smith01 wrote:

@grolut Thanks.

Should read… "I don’t floss!"
The man who marries a beautiful woman, and the farmer who grows corn by the roadside have the same problem
eco
#11 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 11:52:50 AM

smith01 wrote:

Persistent bad breath even after proper oral hygiene can be an indication of a more serious condition like in kidney or liver. Help the person to get help beyond over-the-counter. A visit to a dentist for through examination can help. If need be, see a physician too!
smith01
#12 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 11:57:07 AM

eco wrote:
smith01 wrote:

Persistent bad breath even after proper oral hygiene can be an indication of a more serious condition like in kidney or liver. Help the person to get help beyond over-the-counter. A visit to a dentist for through examination can help. If need be, see a physician too!

@echo..thanks. Will do.
jguru
#13 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 1:39:12 PM

Body odour (smelling mouth, feet, armpits, etc) can be a sensitive social problem.

Suggestions:
-Proper teeth brushing after meals
-Dental floss
-Tongue brushing/scraping (main cause of bad breath is often the tongue)
-Chewing gum
-Mouthwash (at night since it remains in mouth for longer), Listerine, Dentyl Active Smooth Mint etc
-Hydration/drinking water all the time (dry mouth = bad odour)
-Eat less proteins/meats/garlic/onions
-Stop smoking
-Get a dentist to check on the gums
-Get an ENT doctor to check on the tonsils, nose (post-nasal drip may lead to odour from the nose and mouth)
Set out to correct the world's wrongs and you will most certainly wind up adding to them.
Impunity
#14 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 3:17:20 PM

What does he eat?
Nearly 70% of the mouthal odour daent come from the teath but from the lining of the mouth and over the region that surrounds the epiglosis; tell to shun eating too much mboiled eggs and such like food.
Avoid too much dairy products like chocolate,mursik, biscuits and yogo-yogo among others.
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

kamundu
#15 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 6:39:16 PM

Bad breath is indicative of infective process in the oro - pharygeal area.
Peace in our Homeland.
hamburglar
#16 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 6:57:23 PM

If it's a loved one, just be honest and tell them that they have an issue that needs to be addressed...There is no need of doing all these incognito things when you can just come out and tell them the truth...We all have our flaws and sometimes we don't realize something bad about ourselves until somebody points it out..If you just come out and tell him, trust me, he might initially be embarassed but will actually be very thankful for your honesty at the end of the day...Just tell the person and chances are they will try to get the help that they need after that. That goes for everything else, body ordor, etc.....Honesty is a virtue and you can never go wrong when you are honest....Never. Just keep it real.
TiggerTiggy
#17 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 11:13:51 PM

what if the smell is coming from "down there"? some women have serious issuesSad
Much Know
#18 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 11:23:20 PM

What about a close one with stinking ideas? A stinking mentality they seem to like all and revel in jest and hyperbole?
A New Kenya
Mukiri
#19 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 11:56:07 PM

eco wrote:
smith01 wrote:

Nditto.

Google 'Candida' (can also be sexually transmitted) or 'Bad odor'. There are many sufferers out there. A person might need to make a complete lifestyle change. This with the guide of a dentist, gastroenterologist and nutritionist. It might not be a little problem as some would assume.

And like someone said, outright honesty in a loving way. How about a lengthy loving letter.

Proverbs 19:21
brayokasa4
#20 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2012 12:22:45 AM

smith01 wrote:

Yaaawn! I'm bored. Lets go brush our teeth. *hint*smile
If you think you can, and if you think you can't , either way, you are right!