wazua Wed, May 15, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages«<23456>»
Disruptive technologies and innovation
ChessMaster
#61 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 10:24:45 PM

ChessMaster
#62 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 3:02:49 AM

http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/How-to-deal-with-disruption-in-era-of-rapid-technology-changes/-/539444/1703110/-/qscyu5/-/index.html

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change – Charles Darwin

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/adapt.html
Uncertainty is certain.Let go
jonna
#63 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 5:41:52 AM

ChessMaster wrote:
@jonna - I like natcoresolar. Efficieny in solar is what's driving its growth. I like this:The total solar energy absorbed by Earth's atmosphere, oceans and land masses is approximately 3,850,000 exajoules (EJ) per year. In 2002, this was more energy in one hour than the world used in one year.

@hisah - I like that.Its going to play well with the buy local movement.

@all - Anyone with development in recycling technology. That's another boom in the making.

You can recycle used car wheels and apply them in the construction of roads which are durable and long lasting.

Another idea is by collecting all the used computers/laptops and organize them to create your own internet, maybe Afrinet or something along those lines.

Am going to find the link and post it here pretty soon my friend.
Energy.
ChessMaster
#64 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 7:08:58 AM

jonna wrote:
ChessMaster wrote:
@jonna - I like natcoresolar. Efficieny in solar is what's driving its growth. I like this:The total solar energy absorbed by Earth's atmosphere, oceans and land masses is approximately 3,850,000 exajoules (EJ) per year. In 2002, this was more energy in one hour than the world used in one year.

@all - Anyone with development in recycling technology. That's another boom in the making.

You can recycle used car wheels and apply them in the construction of roads which are durable and long lasting.

Another idea is by collecting all the used computers/laptops and organize them to create your own internet, maybe Afrinet or something along those lines.

Thanx.Keep it coming.I like recycling because its sustainable.

Got something interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_street_light

BBC News - Mogadishu's first solar-powered street lamps

jonna
#65 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 7:36:16 AM

ChessMaster wrote:
jonna wrote:
ChessMaster wrote:

1. Hydrogen gas for powering up the streets, lamps in your house, cars, etc.

2. Use concentrated wine from grapes to make batteries.

3. Use of worms (can't remember what types of worms) as manure instead of fertilizers for farming.

4. Biofuels: For those who have range rovers and old mercedez benz, you should pat yourself on the back because you are lucky. Just convert the engine to start consuming biofuels and you'll never pay for gas anymore.

5. You see those old GOK range rover engines?? Their engines can be used to drilling wells/boreholes instead of paying a mill plus.

6. Old is gold.
Old cars are the best for your information. Made out of metal (engine) unlike the modern ones (from 1988 going forward: rubbish), they hardly break down and if they do, its easy to fix as compared to these modern cars whereby everything is electrical.

Example: Check engine light - What do you have to remove/install so as to get rid of the light?? Now try that with a car that was manufactured prior to 1988.

Proof: GOK range rovers still cruising the streets of Nairobi while your new jalopy keeps breaking down at Jogoo House.

Many more to come.

Energy.
ChessMaster
#66 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 8:12:51 AM

jonna wrote:
ChessMaster wrote:
jonna wrote:
ChessMaster wrote:

1. Hydrogen gas for powering up the streets, lamps in your house, cars, etc.

2. Use concentrated wine from grapes to make batteries.

3. Use of worms (can't remember what types of worms) as manure instead of fertilizers for farming.

4. Biofuels: For those who have range rovers and old mercedez benz, you should pat yourself on the back because you are lucky. Just convert the engine to start consuming biofuels and you'll never pay for gas anymore.

5. You see those old GOK range rover engines?? Their engines can be used to drilling wells/boreholes instead of paying a mill plus.

6. Old is gold.
Old cars are the best for your information. Made out of metal (engine) unlike the modern ones (from 1988 going forward: rubbish), they hardly break down and if they do, its easy to fix as compared to these modern cars whereby everything is electrical.

Example: Check engine light - What do you have to remove/install so as to get rid of the light?? Now try that with a car that was manufactured prior to 1988.

Proof: GOK range rovers still cruising the streets of Nairobi while your new jalopy keeps breaking down at Jogoo House.

Many more to come.

I like the laptops/computers idea.Plus some metals contained in electronics are valuable.One thing I wish manufacturers would try do is focus on creating cheap and convenient ways to upgrade things.

Red Wigglers and Earthworms Are these the ones you were talking about?

I didn't know of concentrated wine for batteries. Seems nature provides so many ways for generating energy.

I am also thinking of ways of recycling cars and car parts. I saw a low cost infant incubator made from car parts which could even be repaired by mechanics.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/16/health/16incubators.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://designthatmatters.org/news/dtm-blog/project/incubator/

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/infant-incubator-from-car-parts-to-serve-the-poor-2744.html

ChessMaster
#67 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 5:50:11 PM

I think we can learn a lot from our brothers in India about practical low cost innovations.Will update on this soon.
ChessMaster
#68 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:46:41 AM

Transparent film using light to charge mobile phones

With improvements in solar people will continue to port the technology to advance other projects.On my watch list.
ChessMaster
#69 Posted : Friday, March 01, 2013 10:14:54 AM

NFC support to non-nfc smartphones

Apart from being bulky,it has solved a problem as we wait for more phones to come with NFC embedded technology.Although there is an alternative which uses microSD

http://www.nfcworld.com/2012/10/31/320843/devicefidelity-launches-new-range-of-nfc-microsd-devices/

ChessMaster
#70 Posted : Friday, March 01, 2013 10:35:13 AM

3d Printed Car
ChessMaster
#71 Posted : Wednesday, March 06, 2013 12:48:01 PM

For me,computers no doubt about it.
ChessMaster
#72 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2013 6:33:03 AM

Safaricom - 50 Disruptive companies of 2013 - Click on the box to find more information and articles.

Disruption Guru on Media

Can you find Kenya?
ChessMaster
#73 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 12:28:31 AM

Cheap and cleaner water from sea water
I like this
jonna
#74 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:56:13 AM

Phyto planktons: They produce the earth's oxygen.
Energy.
ChessMaster
#75 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 7:53:30 PM

jonna
#76 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 3:47:35 AM

WHY GRAPHENE SPEAKERS COULD BECOME THE AUDIO INDUSTRY’S NEW GOLD STANDARD.

We’ve heard a lot about graphene being a “wonder material” that could be used for smartphone casings and antennas, but now it seems that some engineers have found a way to incorporate it into audio speakers and headphones as well. Technology Review reports that University of California Berkeley researchers Qin Zhou and Alex Zettl have found that graphene is the perfect material for constructing speaker diaphragms, which typically work best when made from a thin material that reduces the need to conduct expensive and energy-consuming “damping engineering.”

http://bgr.com/2013/03/1...dget&utm_medium=home
Energy.
ChessMaster
#77 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 8:40:36 AM

[quote=jonna]WHY GRAPHENE SPEAKERS COULD BECOME THE AUDIO INDUSTRY’S NEW GOLD STANDARD.

We’ve heard a lot about graphene being a “wonder material” that could be used for smartphone casings and antennas, but now it seems that some engineers have found a way to incorporate it into audio speakers and headphones as well. Technology Review reports that University of California Berkeley researchers Qin Zhou and Alex Zettl have found that graphene is the perfect material for constructing speaker diaphragms, which typically work best when made from a thin material that reduces the need to conduct expensive and energy-consuming “damping engineering.”

http://bgr.com/2013/03/1...get&utm_medium=home[/quote]

Carbon never ceases to amaze me
symbols
#78 Posted : Saturday, April 20, 2013 11:24:08 AM

Nairobi City Council automates parking fees

Just when I thought I had stumbled upon a great idea only to find out it was implemented last year.Well,I'm not so far behind.

Anyway,let me share my initial thoughts just in case someone from there is reading.I would have also used a sticker with either qr or barcodes.Then made a smartphone app which the attendants would use to scan the sticker and see if the fees have been paid and if the car matches the description which would have been taken while registering for a sticker.

Payments methods would include airtime,mpesa and other payment options available.All in all,they did a good job.Paperless,convenient and reduces incidents of corruption.Applause Applause Applause Applause
symbols
#79 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 8:03:13 PM

symbols
#80 Posted : Wednesday, May 08, 2013 3:43:35 AM